Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Hollywood needs to stop putting the industry on hold and just change the regulations for the theater experience.

Theres only a handful of movies coming out..so have more screens for each film, limit the amount allowed in each screening room and the amount of people allowed in the lobby, all in all, youll just have to wait a little longer to get your popcorn. Like its not that hard to figure some tactics around it.
BatDan wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:35 pmTheres only a handful of movies coming out..so have more screens for each film, limit the amount allowed in each screening room and the amount of people allowed in the lobby, all in all, youll just have to wait a little longer to get your popcorn. Like its not that hard to figure some tactics around it.
They've already attempted this, and the results were:
  • the movies still lost millions
  • further losses to theater chains, which were not making enough to turn a profit at those attendance levels
  • additional risk to a population that is already not taking the virus seriously
Not great, Bob!
Last edited by tylergfoster on January 12th, 2021, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek liked this
Speaking from just going out and about people no longer care about wearing the masks. At least, this is my experience when getting groceries. This hundred day mask up isn't going to put a dent in jack shit. People are fed up and are going to do what they want because they see our leaders doing the opposite of what they preach.

Not enough people are wearing Masks, if diners and non essential businesses weren't closed there would be no signs of a pandemic where I live.

Just because the vaccine's starting to roll out doesn't mean this shit's over with. I hope wer'e wrong but I don't have confidence the date for Afterlife is going to hold.
BatDan liked this
^It may seem much but I constantly tell people behind me at Costco and Sam's Club to stay 6 feet behind me in the line to get out. And workers and managers are right there just watching.

There's even reports Black Widow, 007, and Fast & Furious will be delayed again. But let's still be cautiously optimistic. I saw some reports that the studios with no streaming service will have to release their movies in theaters sooner than later rather than keep delaying.

EDIT: If anyone missed out the first time, the LEGO Ecto-1 is now relisted on LEGO's website.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/01/11 ... available/
groschopf wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:36 pm Anyone else see this review of the Plasma Series Ecto-1?

https://youtu.be/Ykm2L0PF970

You can get a look inside, for what it's worth. Nice details labeling the boxes for the neutrona wand and R.T.V.
Sadly Target seems to not have any actually in stock to purchase.
pizzarat liked this
Dr.D wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:34 pmAs the 7th Doctor once said "Your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity when trying to destroy itself."
My all-time favourite story. :)
groschopf wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:36 pm Anyone else see this review of the Plasma Series Ecto-1?

You can get a look inside, for what it's worth. Nice details labeling the boxes for the neutrona wand and R.T.V.
Nice, glad he showed the underside of the car. You can definitely see what looks like the hatch where the R.T.V. drops down from.
groschopf liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:31 pm You can definitely see what looks like the hatch where the R.T.V. drops down from.
I think that's part of the standard '59 Miller Meteor undercarriage, potentially the gas tank. I had a look at my Playmobil and Hot Wheels Elite Ectomobiles (and the Eaglemoss monthly kit, where it's the battery compartment), and they appear to have the same feature between the rear wheels.

Here's a shot of the underside of one of the Ecto-1 model kits:
Link

I wonder if Hasbro was supplied with photos of the undercarriage, or if they had to settle for reference they could get off of the internet. If I had to guess, I'd probably settle on the latter.
groschopf, deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:17 pm
I think that's part of the standard '59 Miller Meteor undercarriage, potentially the gas tank. I had a look at my Playmobil and Hot Wheels Elite Ectomobiles, and they appear to have the same feature between the rear wheels.

Here's a shot of the underside of one of the Ecto-1 model kits:
Link
groschopf liked this
I'm confident we'll see a "trap door" deploy a ramp and release the R.T.V., even if the Plasma car shows a gas tank there.

How would the studio get around having a functioning trap door on a car where the gas tank would have to be? Well, I guess cutting a car into sections might be handy.

Both the gas tank and the trap door would be behind the wheel well, meaning they could use the last quarter of this chopped up car with some cropping to show it in action without reconfiguring the fuel supply on the drivable car.

Slap the ass end on a trailer, cover the exposed section to match lighting, and you've got a piece of the car that will look like it's all in the same hero vehicle. Just have to prime the brain to expect that by having the levers and what looks like a functioning door in the hero cars, and the the audience won't know that you literally couldn't have the trap door in a working automobile.

Shoot the door operating and the trap going down using the chopped-up car, then cut to a close-up exterior shoot of the trap obscured by the tires and then rolling outward. Audience won't know they're seeing different cars (or pieces of one).

mrmichaelt liked this
groschopf wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:11 pm I've said it over and over and over... do not expect this film in the theaters until the holidays.

We'll be lucky if we have this pandemic shit under control by the Fall.
Sorry to be Mr. Doom again today, but yeah it's looking like Summer isn't likely, and they might push it back for Christmas season instead of October. October is getting clogged with films. The pandemic needs to be pretty much down to a small thing before the theaters can get back to business as usual. Numbers posted in December by you groschopf had pretty much set my mind to think October. But those numbers now look to need adjustments. :sigh:

America's unrest this month will very much lead to delays in vaccine distribution. Depending on how long and how destructive the unrest is, America might overall halt in a business sense (calling back to last summers riots/protests).

Ghostbusters: Afterlife is really looking less and less likely to have a chance for a full theater release period if things stay this bad or get worse.

Before the age of the internet, I could have seen them simply skipping over America and releasing the film at other locations around the world first, then coming to America when we were ready. But if that was tried today, the film would end up leaked online, losing great amounts of sales.

The rest of the world just doesn't tend to hold the franchise up. (snagged these numbers off a google search)..
Ghostbusters (1984)
-Domestic Box Office: $242,212,467
-International Box Office: $53,000,000

Ghostbusters II
-Domestic Box Office: $112,494,738
-International Box Office: $103,005,262

Ghostbusters (2016)
-Domestic Box Office: $128,350,574
-International Box Office: $100,658,084

So to be clear, America covers over half of the sales for each film previously.
JonXCTrack wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:17 am I wonder if theater chains or studios could work something out to install temporary drive in theaters this summer. That's the only thing I can think of that could allow for films to be released this year.
I doubt on any kind if scale that would make it worthwhile.
Alphagaia wrote: January 13th, 2021, 6:59 am Meanwhile, Virus mutations are causing a shit show in England, with us Dutchies just getting the first victims from that strain as well.

It's going to get worse before it will get better.
Evidence suggests the new strains respond to vaccinations and we have some ambitious targets. If the roll-out runs to plan I'd say Afterlife would be safe to open in the UK in June. I think we'd have vaccinated enough people to open up cinemas... but a lot can go wrong between now and then plus the domestic US market is another matter.

The mutations are adding to the shit show, but the real cause continues to be confusing and loose restrictions, deliberate misinformation and poor compliance. It's bad here.
New interview with Carrie Coon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ZKEj5O40E

2 things I'm taking away from it.

1. Pretty sure now the classic theme song will pop up.
2. Now we know for sure who the girls were behind Bill Murray in the leaked screenshots.

Also love the story of how Bill Murray was on set:
"Generously he also go these Thai masseuses on the set for 2 days so the crew could pop in and have a 15 or 20 minute massage."
Last edited by deadderek on January 14th, 2021, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]