Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 14th, 2021, 5:07 am In the comments they mention Murray was on set for longer than we thought based on this interview.... but I don't think it does. All it confirms is he was on set for at least 2 days. One of which may have been his birthday.

I thought it had been confirmed he was involved for a week or so?
Who said it was shorter than a week?
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 14th, 2021, 5:07 am In the comments they mention Murray was on set for longer than we thought based on this interview.... but I don't think it does. All it confirms is he was on set for at least 2 days. One of which may have been his birthday.

It was confirmed he filmed for a weeks time. Plus there was reshoots so who knows who was involved with that.

But knowing he was involved with catering ans massages makes me think it a little more than a week.

Makes me even more antsy to see a new :love: trailer now.
deadderek liked this
BatDan wrote: January 14th, 2021, 5:17 amBut knowing he was involved with catering ans massages makes me think it a little more than a week.
Most time on a movie set is down time for the actors, so, FWIW, these don't say anything about the length of his stay either way.

As for vaccine rollout, the problem is that even if we speed up and start outpacing the targets, just getting the vaccine isn't enough. There still needs to be some time for herd immunity to set in. I'd like to be optimistic that it could get kicked just a couple of months to August 2021, for a late summer release, but I dunno. I also unfortunately have a hard time imagining Sony finding it strategically sound for October (especially moreso than Morbius), or December (which might be in the wake of Bond and possibly either Mission: Impossible or Top Gun: Maverick, none of which I think Sony will want to try and compete against).
droidguy1119 wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:47 am
As for vaccine rollout, the problem is that even if we speed up and start outpacing the targets, just getting the vaccine isn't enough. There still needs to be some time for herd immunity to set in. I'd like to be optimistic that it could get kicked just a couple of months to August 2021, for a late summer release, but I dunno. I also unfortunately have a hard time imagining Sony finding it strategically sound for October (especially moreso than Morbius), or December (which might be in the wake of Bond and possibly either Mission: Impossible or Top Gun: Maverick, none of which I think Sony will want to try and compete against).
I've heard many different things about herd immunity, and if there is anything that has gotten confusing is exactly what percentage need to be vaccinated to reach that goal. The common and most believable has been 70%, but I believe we wont reach that due to people refusing to take any of the vaccines offered. I found myself debating on the phone with a good friend of mine, a person that supported wearing masks. But they refuse to take a vaccine even for free. They fear health issues from it. So without getting political here, I think we're not ever going to reach herd immunity at least by vaccine. :sigh:

Even if numbers get better, like you said, the summer release date doesn't look even remotely possible. Ghostbusters Afterlife I think would still be better off waiting til late in the year. December, it can be marketed as a kid film if there isn't some in the month, but I'm starting to believe it is likely we wont see Ghostbusters Afterlife til spring next year (2022). If there is one film I think can get away with waiting it out, it is Ghostbusters Afterlife.
groschopf liked this
Yeah... the other problem is that the longer this pandemic drags out, and the longer it takes us to reach herd immunity, the more selective pressures will mutate the virus in a way that might make our countermeasures less efficacious.

We're already seeing that in the U.K. with the Kent variant and with the new South African variant. Those versions of the virus are not more deadly, but they are more transmissible. For instance, studies indicate that new British variant is about 50% more transmissible. That much you likely heard.

People that previously had Covid and built up antibodies will find that the South African variant gives less shits about those antibodies. Someone that already had Covid can get re-infected with this new strain. The vaccine should still work, but it may no longer be 95% effective.

It may end up being the case that we'll have to get yearly shots to prevent the spread of Covid variants like we do with the flu. Vaccines can be adjusted fairly quickly to counter these changes, but that's still more time chewed up responding to the bug as it find news ways to mess up our world.

TL;DR: the longer this drags out, the longer it's going to take to clean up.

sources:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55534727
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/worl ... ca-uk.html
I just don’t want any more fans, who have spent their lives waiting for this, to die from Covid before it’s out.

The further it gets pushed, so many more will miss it.

We also need it to make good numbers to grow the brand back.

2021 is already nuts.
How much more insanity is coming? :walterpeck:
Realistically I think we're stuck with Covid. Theres no going back. No preCovid in our future.
Vaccines will help stem the flow but this is our new normal.

I don't see the point of pushing back and back and back. Its losing money.

I get people are scared of going to the cinemas but with correct procedures in place its doable.
I went to the movies more during 2020 then I did in 2018 & 2019 combined and I'm fine. No body got sick.
If governments lay down strict rules and harsh penalities its 100% doable (our government os currently issuing $4,000 fines as a first offence for anyone breeching Covid rules.)

There is no after Covid. Theres just once we get a handle on it.

I know it sucks but it is what it is.

Studios just need to decide wether to wait n see or play the hand they've been dealt.

Personally if I was a studio executive I'd release in cinema markets where its safe and VoD in markets that aren't.
Thats just me. Maybe the long game will pay off, but that light at the end of a tunnel is a pin point at the moment.
Hairy Biker wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:21 pm Maybe the long game will pay off, but that light at the end of a tunnel is a pin point at the moment.
Light at the end of the tunnel looking real:
Hairy Biker, groschopf liked this
groschopf wrote: January 14th, 2021, 2:49 pm Yeah... the other problem is that the longer this pandemic drags out, and the longer it takes us to reach herd immunity, the more selective pressures will mutate the virus in a way that might make our countermeasures less efficacious.

We're already seeing that in the U.K. with the Kent variant and with the new South African variant. Those versions of the virus are not more deadly, but they are more transmissible. For instance, studies indicate that new British variant is about 50% more transmissible. That much you likely heard.

People that previously had Covid and built up antibodies will find that the South African variant gives less shits about those antibodies. Someone that already had Covid can get re-infected with this new strain. The vaccine should still work, but it may no longer be 95% effective.

It may end up being the case that we'll have to get yearly shots to prevent the spread of Covid variants like we do with the flu. Vaccines can be adjusted fairly quickly to counter these changes, but that's still more time chewed up responding to the bug as it find news ways to mess up our world.

TL;DR: the longer this drags out, the longer it's going to take to clean up.

sources:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55534727
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/worl ... ca-uk.html
Minor point but Covid antibodies from infection only last around 6 months, afterwards people could get the same strain over and over. Meaning the initial idea of herd immunity without a vaccine was massively flawed. At least that's my understanding as a lay person. Thankfully the vaccine is effective against all known variants so far, though the longevity of the antibodies produced by each vaccine seems to be up in the air.
groschopf liked this
Haha. I feel ya. Even if the trailers showed us practically nothing, i still have faith itll be decent though.

That was actually my concern with the pushbacks, that people would lose interest and it be difficult to build up steam. Its about 5 months out and barely anyone knows it exists.

I asked my friends about what they think and i get “oh? Man i keep forgetting that movie exists”
Glow in the Dark liked this
Glow in the Dark wrote: January 15th, 2021, 5:28 amTrailer looked terrible and unfunny.
I appreciate it's not laden with jokes, but I get the sense the first full trailer was intended to build up the mystery, and either subsequent trailers would showcase some of the jokes, or Jason might be saving them for when people see the film itself.

How often have we seen a joke lose its punch before the film's come out because it's been watched to death in the trailers?

I'm gonna have to disagree about the trailer being terrible. It's no more "terrible" than the teaser trailers for Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II. You want a terrible trailer? Check out the last several Fast and the Furious movie trailers. Those are terrible.
Glow in the Dark wrote: January 15th, 2021, 5:28 am They delayed it too long I just have no interest in it.
...Because of a pandemic. It's not like they delayed it to find a more convenient gap in the release schedule of the other big studios.
BatDan, Alphagaia, deadderek and 6 others liked this
BatDan wrote: January 15th, 2021, 5:33 am That was actually my concern with the pushbacks, that people would lose interest and it be difficult to build up steam. Its about 5 months out and barely anyone knows it exists.

I asked my friends about what they think and i get “oh? Man i keep forgetting that movie exists”
Once they are sure the new date holds and Covid has been tamed enough to make it profitable they will start up the Marketing in earnest.

This is why non fanboys don't know about it: it would not be profitable enough to smear out the marketing over a year and a half. Possibly even longer. This is why we will only get a trailer much closer to an actual release date.
Kingpin, BatDan, deadderek and 4 others liked this
I have not seen any fast/furious after the dragging a big safe through a city thing, but I must admit: I was entertained.

The movies are dumb, they know they are dumb, but there is something very enjoyable to watching cars outsmart heat seaking missiles shot from a submarine while doing spins and jumps on ice.

I don't want and expect Wrecto-1 to do any of that, though.
BatDan wrote: January 14th, 2021, 5:17 am

It was confirmed he filmed for a weeks time. Plus there was reshoots so who knows who was involved with that.

But knowing he was involved with catering ans massages makes me think it a little more than a week.

On most films I would say a weeks filming wouldn’t amount to a heck of a lot. But!

Jason Reitman is a notoriously fast and efficient filmmaker. I’ve heard he can do about 20-25 set ups per day. The average film set is lucky to get 10.

If you’ve ever wondered why some filmmakers can get more bang for their buck with budget, a lot of it has to do with how quick & efficient they are. Take Michael Bay. He made the first Transformers movie for about 145-150 million. The movie looks like it cost about twice that. Just to give you an idea: X-Men Origins Wolverine? It cost about 165 million. X-Men 3? Somehow it cost about 210 million. The first Iron Man movie? Cost about 175 million.
These are all big budget tent poles summer blockbusters where visual effects and spectacle are some of the most expensive parts of production. Now say what you want about the final film itself but Tranformers has about twice the spectacle & action & production value as those others movies, had huge amounts of VFX(complex VFX too), large ensemble cast etc and it cost 60-70 million less than X-Men 3(a movie that’s barely 1 hour and 40 minutes long).

One of the ways some directors like Michael Bay are able to get their movies for that price is the pace of filming. Directors that have a reputation for how they can get the most out of their budget: Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro, Jason Reitman.

All of that is a long way of saying: if Murray shot for 7 days on a Jason Reitman movie we can’t begin to guess how much or how little he’ll be in the movie.
BatDan liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:29 pm
BatDan wrote: January 14th, 2021, 5:17 am

On most films I would say a weeks filming wouldn’t amount to a heck of a lot. But!

Jason Reitman is a notoriously fast and efficient filmmaker. I’ve heard he can do about 20-25 set ups per day. The average film set is lucky to get 10.

If you’ve ever wondered why some filmmakers can get more bang for their buck with budget, a lot of it has to do with how quick & efficient they are. Take Michael Bay. He made the first Transformers movie for about 145-150 million. The movie looks like it cost about twice that. Just to give you an idea: X-Men Origins Wolverine? It cost about 165 million. X-Men 3? Somehow it cost about 210 million. The first Iron Man movie? Cost about 175 million.
These are all big budget tent poles summer blockbusters where visual effects and spectacle are some of the most expensive parts of production. Now say what you want about the final film itself but Tranformers has about twice the spectacle & action & production value as those others movies, had huge amounts of VFX(complex VFX too), large ensemble cast etc and it cost 60-70 million less than X-Men 3(a movie that’s barely 1 hour and 40 minutes long).

One of the ways some directors like Michael Bay are able to get their movies for that price is the pace of filming. Directors that have a reputation for how they can get the most out of their budget: Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro, Jason Reitman.

All of that is a long way of saying: if Murray shot for 7 days on a Jason Reitman movie we can’t begin to guess how much or how little he’ll be in the movie.
I mean who said it was only a week? The only source i know is that variety article....but yea, I know theyre reliable.

But before that there were Call Sheets leaked that had weaver, aykroyd, and murray attached that were set times as early as july/august 2019. Some had hudson and potts.

I was thinking though, even if murray isnt in it “fully” , id suffice having ernie and dan stick around to keep me company until he shows up.
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
Glow in the Dark wrote: January 15th, 2021, 5:28 am I’m so over this movie. I don’t even feel like watching it anymore. New cast. Meh. Trailer looked terrible and unfunny. They delayed it too long I just have no interest in it.
"This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view"

Seriously? You all can't handle someone feeling different than you?
Glow in the Dark wrote: January 15th, 2021, 6:55 pm
Glow in the Dark wrote: January 15th, 2021, 5:28 am I’m so over this movie. I don’t even feel like watching it anymore. New cast. Meh. Trailer looked terrible and unfunny. They delayed it too long I just have no interest in it.
"This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view"

Seriously? You all can't handle someone feeling different than you?
No I think it’s just the general tone and defeatist attitude you have.
“I’m so over this movie”. I mean what is that? If your over it, why are you posting here? You’re over a new GB movie? And you’re a fan? A bit odd.

Plus...that trailer was awesome. Saying it was unfunny is a bit silly since it wasn’t trying to be funny.

So don’t make it about people feeling different than you. It’s more your dismissive attitude/tone. But I didn’t dislike your post so I’m just guessing that’s why.
deadderek, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 4 others liked this
Don't take dislikes personal. When people go after posts four years old, then it start's to get a little bit in the creepish zone. I agree with Richardless the trailers weren't going for a quick laugh. They'll get there in the next one. The first teaser was proof of concept, the second was to build suspense. The third is hopefully coming soon.

I get the frustration that Ghostbusters Afterlife 2020 has turned into Ghostbusters Afterlife to be released at some point in the future. We'll get there.
deadderek, BatDan, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
BatDan wrote: January 15th, 2021, 5:47 pm
RichardLess wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:29 pm

I mean who said it was only a week? The only source i know is that variety article....but yea, I know theyre reliable.

But before that there were Call Sheets leaked that had weaver, aykroyd, and murray attached that were set times as early as july/august 2019. Some had hudson and potts.

I was thinking though, even if murray isnt in it “fully” , id suffice having ernie and dan stick around to keep me company until he shows up.
I seem to recall the Vanity Fair interview/article saying Murray & co filmed for about a week. I don’t know if he filmed more than a week but I’m just saying, if the reports of him filming for a week are indeed accurate, it doesn’t suggest as much as some might assume regarding how big or small the OGB’s role is.
BatDan liked this
I mean..Michael Keaton only shot for a few days on Beetlejuice. Look how that turned out. Theres hope for well executed scenes at the right times throughout the film.

Worst fear is just some quick fan service or gimmick.

Best hope is supporting roles sprinkled throughout and actually involved in the story.

Me Personally..either way, i think its Underusing some grade A talent from those guys as their talents as entertainers exceed more than a gimmick..but ill take what i can get and i still think the film looks decent overall.
Corey91 liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]