By ImperialWalker
It is well known that movie props are often made to hold up for as long as needed during the shoot. I couldn't tell you how many times I had to repair something on set to get it through the day.

So when it comes to trying to create a prop that is both aesthetically similar yet practical, there are often parts that simply don't hold up in in the real world. I suspect many of you have spent some time at conventions and various other places in full gear and have had to deal with broken props.

As I build my trap I am trying to anticipate problem areas, but I thought I would ask you guys if you had any tales of trap failures and where I should concentrate some extra effort to assure it doesn't fall apart.
By Kingpin
I've only seen one Trap fail in the field, several years back.

I think, but I can't recall with absolute certainty, that it was being held by its hose and the hose detached, possibly from the quick connect.
One thing you could do if you wanted to be able to hang it from a cord like Ray does, is to run a length of wire through the hose from the pedal to the trap, to ensure it takes the weight of the prop.
By tobycj
I've got a BoK 3D printed trap and if it feels like it'd go anywhere it's the handle. It is pretty heavy as I've added a whole bunch of aluminium to it though, but at some point I'm swapping the handle out for an aluminium one, so that'll hopefully make it a bit sturdier.
By Christof
tobycj wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 5:15 am I've got a BoK 3D printed trap and if it feels like it'd go anywhere it's the handle. It is pretty heavy as I've added a whole bunch of aluminium to it though, but at some point I'm swapping the handle out for an aluminium one, so that'll hopefully make it a bit sturdier.
I too have a BoK trap, and have had it roll off of a table while I was taking my gear off, land directly on the stock PLA handle, and snap it into pieces. So, not a bad idea!
By tobycj
Christof wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 8:46 am
tobycj wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 5:15 am I've got a BoK 3D printed trap and if it feels like it'd go anywhere it's the handle. It is pretty heavy as I've added a whole bunch of aluminium to it though, but at some point I'm swapping the handle out for an aluminium one, so that'll hopefully make it a bit sturdier.
I too have a BoK trap, and have had it roll off of a table while I was taking my gear off, land directly on the stock PLA handle, and snap it into pieces. So, not a bad idea!
Mine is more about the weight of the trap, it feels like it might flex and snap when being picked up by the handle, which would be a bloody nightmare!
By ImperialWalker
Thanks guys. Good things to consider.

I've already addressed the handle in my build thread. The hose is something I didn't think of.

The parts that I have considered giving more attention to are:

Relay

I've printed an insert that the screws attach to to distribute the weight and hopefully keep it from breaking off.

Pedal

My concern is that without some kind of wire inside it will rip off the tubing and swing open

Front Buttons

I wonder if these will be knocked off

Rear LED cover

This little thing is supposed to glued on, I wonder if it could be reenforced somehow

Pedal Feet

Super duper glue?
By BRD 527
I brought a 3d printed and spirit traps to the bar I used to work at and let my coworkers and friends "throw" them around after hours one night I was honestly surprised nothing broke lol and there was a few times they were thrown too hard and rolled all the way across the room slamming into walls :blush:

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]