Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: Also, why would they want to kill themselves?
That really got me thinking about the nature of how they came to life *like does cooking them kill them or just melt them into a living puddle?) so here's my

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

How do you think the mini-pufts came to life? Was the bag of marshmallows cursed (perhaps with other items to come back to life?) Are they alive again they are the form of the destructor? Was something done at the Stay Puft factory to alter all the bags of marshmallow? Are they alive because they are in the town with Shandor's mine?
pizzarat liked this
Coover5 wrote:How do you think the mini-pufts came to life? Was the bag of marshmallows cursed (perhaps with other items to come back to life?) Are they alive again they are the form of the destructor? Was something done at the Stay Puft factory to alter all the bags of marshmallow? Are they alive because they are in the town with Shandor's mine?
I could see it being the last choice. The energy building up reaches to a point that objects in the vicinity start to get animated. So it's more a dancing toaster situation than a 100 tiny evil Gozers one. Or even it could be an ability of the Terror Dogs. Zuul did do that arm chair thing in Dana's apartment.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
The whole town is set up next to/on top of a mine that's basically radiating Gozerian energy. It could be just that the energy is taking a familiar form when it hits the marshmallows. It could also be why they're killing/eating/merging with each other: it's an attempt to fully restore it's full form.

I'll be COMPLETELY honest? I really REALLY hated the idea of the minis originally. I thought it was going to be dumb, but seeing that little clip and having them be pure chaos? I love it. It oozes of classic Gremlins shenanigans and that's my favorite kind :D
mrmichaelt, RedSpecial, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
Well, the Stay Puft toy suggest they can melt together to form a somewhat human sized Puft (complete with skeleton, perhaps stolen from the biology lab?) so maybe they melt and form a bigger body T-1000 style? Makes the T-2 thumbs up extra funny to me.

I still hope the Marshmallow Company is from Summerville and they managed to get some of the goop from Stay Puft to experiment with.
mrmichaelt, Sav C liked this
That's just awesome! Have you been?
Yes! I work for the resort that owns it, and was part of the installation testing team when we first brought it in. I think I've run the GB simulation around 40 times now hahah. We have not been able to install the Jumanji simulation due to lockdowns.
Last edited by Kingpin on April 11th, 2021, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:33 am(complete with skeleton, perhaps stolen from the biology lab?)
I quite like the possibility suggested by the toy, that they're repurposing the abandoned skeleton stage of Gozer from the original Ghostbusters concept.
Kingpin wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:01 am
Alphagaia wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:33 am(complete with skeleton, perhaps stolen from the biology lab?)
I quite like the possibility suggested by the toy, that they're repurposing the abandoned skeleton stage of Gozer from the original Ghostbusters concept.
Refresh the ole memory?
Yeah, really liked that concept. The art looked amazing!
deadderek wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:26 am

Refresh the ole memory?

Extra unrelated drawing done by myself for the fun of it:
Kingpin, mrmichaelt, Sav C liked this
deadderek wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:26 am Refresh the ole memory?
In the older drafts of the movie, the idea was that Stay Puft would just be the "first" stage of Gozer's destructor form... The finale would've seen the marshmallow all melted away to reveal a sticky gruesome skeleton underneath:

Making Ghostbusters
-Page 155
--Although it was always the intent to have Gozer appear first in quasi-human form and then transmutate into a giant walking ad for Stay-Puft marshmallows, early plans were to have the melting marshmallow man reconfigure itself yet again into a third, even larger and more horrific manifestation.

-Page 180 annotation
--Early brainstorming had the Stay-Puft marshmallow man as but an interdimensional form which the Gozer assumes on its way to becoming something truly monstrous, both in size and appearance.

-Page 194
--Harold Ramis "I was concerned throughout this whole process that they physics of it make sense somehow - that intelligent people wouldn't look at what we were doing and think it was totally ridiculous. I did a lot of rationalizing when it came to the Stay-Puft marshmallow man. Morally, no one else cared that much. I was the only one who kept agonizing about what it all meant - what does the universe really look like, and is it possible this could actually happen? As bizarre as it was, I wanted the film to say something about life - even if it was subliminal. I knew if I could just harmonize it in my own mind, I'd feel a lot better about it. Finally, I found some symbolism in the fact that the whole world of the paranormal seems to represent people's abstract fears - people need a place to put all that nameless dread and so they put it into ghosts and things unseen. But the real source of that dread is in very real things like violence and death and economic uncertainty. So it seemed to me very appropriate that when our monster finally appeared, it turned out to be marshmallow - that literally and figuratively, our biggest fear of the unknown was as insubstantial as marshmallow."

-Page 197 annotation
--Though present in every draft of the script, the Stay-Puft marshmallow man did not become the Ghostbusters' final encounter until the July rewrite. In fact, in Dan Aykroyd's original screenplay, the Stay-Puft man appeared just slightly past the midway point as but one of several Gozer manifestations. The Stay-Puft confrontation came considerably later in the first Aykroyd-Ramis collaboration, but even in that draft, the Ghostbusters were to regroup in New Jersey for a final battle with the Gozer in its most terrifying form - a swirling psychic maelstrom topped by a disembodied aphid's head of monstrous proportions

Ghostbusters Commentary
-(DVD ts. 12:43)
--Ivan Reitman says: "When I read the very first sort of treatment it took place in the future. There were many groups of Ghostbusters, the Marshmallow Man came out on page 20 and was one of 50 large scale monsters."

Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History
-Page 16
--A Thom Enriquez concept for a Stay Puft marshmallow man alternative. Enriquez came up with the idea that this monster could be Ray Stantz's pet lizard from his childhood
Alphagaia, Wafflerobot, deadderek and 2 others liked this
I love Uncle Dan, but I think he was an overrated writer.

He has great ideas, great passion, great attention to the details.... But without someone who reign him in, his scripts are impossible to produce.

I think that's why Bill refused to do GB3 for so long. I saw some pages of Hellbent on the Facebook Proton Charging page and, well, I'm glad they didn't make THAT.
-Page 197 annotation
--Though present in every draft of the script, the Stay-Puft marshmallow man did not become the Ghostbusters' final encounter until the July rewrite. In fact, in Dan Aykroyd's original screenplay, the Stay-Puft man appeared just slightly past the midway point as but one of several Gozer manifestations. The Stay-Puft confrontation came considerably later in the first Aykroyd-Ramis collaboration, but even in that draft, the Ghostbusters were to regroup in New Jersey for a final battle with the Gozer in its most terrifying form - a swirling psychic maelstrom topped by a disembodied aphid's head of monstrous proportions

This sounds like the ending of Quatermass and the Pit (or 5 Million Years to Earth for my American chums!)
deadderek, robbritton liked this
For those who want to see the Mini-Pufts scene UNCROPPED:

https://youtu.be/VjQ_bRKf0XM

RedSpecial, Sav C liked this
deadderek wrote:For those who want to see the Mini-Pufts scene UNCROPPED:

Definitely seems to support the theory that it's a film clip rather than an ad due to the 2:35:1 aspect ratio, something I hoped it was since the reveal, looks like it might be true. Now let's go nerd mode over the other flavors and Mini-Puft mischief! Also IMO, a better month to push up Afterlife to should be August or September since I think it has the least chance of a heavy competition with some of the films. Last time I checked anyway blep
Alphagaia liked this
Davideverona wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:18 am
Alphagaia wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:33 am Aha, so T-Puft got killed off by a Y-Puft that turned on the fire by falling of a valve!
And that's the same Weber bbq I have at home!!!
Damn it.

Now they have to change it before the movie comes out so you feel compelled to buy a new bbq.

Movie delayed, people!
Last edited by Alphagaia on April 11th, 2021, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davideverona, Sav C liked this
deadderek wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:05 am For those who want to see the Mini-Pufts scene UNCROPPED:

I like the bowl of Mini-Puft heads bobbling about in the background of the chocolate shot! Hadn’t noticed them in the previous ratio.
deadderek, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]