Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Hairy Biker wrote: December 4th, 2020, 2:10 am So I'm sitting here building my Lego Ecto.... Haha!... Anyway, so far we've proven the accuracy of the sliding chair, but Lego threw in the easter egg of a bag of SP Marshmallows....what if the bag is actually found in the car AND thats how the SP minis are born....created... You get what I mean.

Probably not but I'd laugh if I was right.
Son of.... i was actually pretty freaking close!
Hairy Biker wrote: May 9th, 2021, 2:26 am Why do we keep killing off Ghostbusters? Its not Marvel, these are comedy films about schlubs who happen to catch ghosts for a living.
This is clearly a passing of the torch moment. I can totally see them suiting up one last time. We know Bill Murray has always been reluctant to come back after GB2 and says he wants to be killed off and become a ghost.

Crossing the streams could have killed them all but they did it. They didn't seal the door that swings both ways from this side. Maybe Egon is on the other side and he isn't dead just missing presumed dead.

I'd be less interested to see them all survive so they can keep wheeling them out in wheelchairs if we get sequels. It would be more impactful to have them sacrifice themselves so people don't forget the name Ghostbusters again. They can't keep saying oh no the worlds forgot about ghosts again every movie.
I don't want to read drama into a situation where there is no drama, but hey... it's a long wait with nothing to talk about...So Ernie got a screening with Jason, Bill got a video call from Ivan, and Dan.... well, Dan made one social media post where Afterlife is sandwiched between two lines pushing his Crystal Head vodka. Easy to dismiss as Dan being Dan, I guess.

I saw the products that "shall not be named" and tbh didn't see anything on them that would spoil the movie any more than the Hasbro stuff. I guess it's more of a timing thing... launching a product referencing a movie that isn't out for 6 months will hurt sales?

I think "killing off" the OG Ghostbusters at the end would be a very Star Wars sequels thing to do... I hope they don't, I'd be happy for the characters to go off and live out their days off-screen for any future sequels. As with Star Wars, it would be a story beat obviously influenced by external/ meta factors to the movie itself so for that reason I hope they avoid it.
I understand the reluctance I just don't want them to keep using the OGs as a crutch. They could all survive and live happily ever after but the temptation to have them keep popping up would be to much for them to resist.

I would prefer a complete, clean break. Give them a big send off and then we can look to the future.
TheLegendOfMart wrote: May 9th, 2021, 3:17 am We know Bill Murray has always been reluctant to come back after GB2 and says he wants to be killed off and become a ghost.
Eh, that was the late 90/2000s Murray stuff. After ATC up to now, his stance has clearly softened. There was that time he quipped the 'wounds of Ghostbusters II have healed. '

But I think it was the right move to have the OG cast reunite one last time rather than have only some of them appear in Afterlife and leave some questions/speculation about the others leading to gripes of if they would ever show up. This way, with them all appearing, some can ride off into the sunset and retire like Peter and Dana and not need to appear again. Killing them them off in a big sacrificial and dramatic moment isn't the only solution. I think Ghost Corps knows they're lucky they got Murray and to a lesser extent Weaver back (as in the case of The Video Game, they were difficult to get back. In the latter case, it was too late when she signaled interest and a new character was created) and they could mark Afterlife as their last appearance in the movies. If any were to return in the next movie after Afterlife, it would be Ray and maybe Winston to help supervise and train them. Hmm, but granted it took 5 years between ATC and Afterlife. Theoretically, the next movie would be in 2025 or 2026 and they could easily factor in a time skip so the children are older and helping investigating cases part time or as interns. But I guess that would really depend on what Ray and Winston are doing in the present and/or will they reopen the business at the end of Afterlife?
Kingpin, deadderek, robbritton and 1 others liked this
Well, this is obviously something that they HAVE to deal with, being connected with Shandor and Gozer, something that they dealt with at the beginning of their career. They help the kids closing this affair once and for all.

As for any future sequel I think the kids will be able to handle themselves every threat they encounter. Maybe Ray will be around to give them some advices and because.... well, he's Ray a supernatural obsessed curious guy.
Hairy Biker wrote: May 9th, 2021, 4:19 am Aykroyd is pretty much retired from movies too. He only pops up every so often. I feel if any of them were to show up in a fourth movie itd be Ernie Hudson.
I just dont understand why killing them off is the only option? They should just retire and enjoy the franchise rights.
I agree and I think this is why it make sense if Ernie and Annie have larger roles than the others (as far as we know). they're still active and available for a future sequel.

I'm more interested in how Ray turns out in this movie than Peter - we've seen Murray acting a lot recently, but Dan hasn't been around so much - he was the best cameo in ATC and his GB3 scripts were quintessential Ray, so I hope he was able to contribute some dialogue for Ray at least.
I'm also in the camp of "why do the guys have to die?".
I understand the logic of giving the guys a big sent-off, but I think the vision is limited if the only scenario one can conceive to achieve that is having the three surviving Ghostbusters sacrificing themselves.

I also agree that that concept doesn't feel like a Ghostbusters movie... This isn't Avengers: Endgame or Armageddon.

The ending suggesting Peter retires happily with Dana, and Ray and Winston maybe help to revive the business seems the most in-keeping with the other movies, a happy ending suggesting more's going to be happening to the Ghostbusters in the future beyond the start of the end credits.
deadderek, Alphagaia, Hairy Biker and 2 others liked this
Last edited by deadderek on May 9th, 2021, 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davideverona, Prime 1986, Alphagaia and 4 others liked this
I'm also in the camp of the movie ending on a higher note. I just don't see them killing off the OG. The weight and gravity of a scenario like that has never really been a part of the franchise... I mean yes there have been serious threats in the films and there is drama surrounding that, but I don't think any of us ever really thought they would be killed off when crossing the streams in GB1.

I think the drama and poignancy involving the guys will come from however they feature Egon's presence and that void being filled by his family.

This film is meant to revive the franchise and set up an exciting new direction moving forward so I could see the door being left open for at least some of the OG to return. That potential being dangled in front of audiences will help keep interest, I think. It worked well for the Creed films and Marvel has done a great job segueing out the key Avengers cast over many films to turn the spotlight onto the new characters.

Personally, while I don't think this will happen, I have had this idealized wish of wanting to see Afterlife end with the family driving the Ecto-1 back across the bridge into Manhattan, alluding to a return to the firehouse and a literal "bridging" of the old films with the new.
Last edited by moviemaker29 on May 9th, 2021, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek, Kingpin, Hairy Biker and 3 others liked this
Bison256 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 7:22 am
deadderek wrote: May 9th, 2021, 7:20 am Cool new image: Image
So they establish early on Finn's character knows how to fix cars.
Yeah, and it makes sense as they are used to not having money and having to do with old cars and cheap fixes.

I wonder what made them poor if their Phoebe's Grandfather is a Ghostbuster. Makes me worry the business went bankrupt again.
It also feels unlikely that they would kill off the guys, but I do agree with the logic that audiences might expect to keep seeing them in future installments, should this one be successful. I don't think that hesitation outweighs my feeling that the guys won't die or anything, but if the torch is being passed, I would also like it to be clear that that's been done and that the OGBs are riding off into the sunset (or most of them anyway).
mrmichaelt liked this
Davideverona wrote: May 9th, 2021, 11:38 am
Corey91 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 10:59 am is it just me or is them sitting on the roof of that station wagon make the outline look like the ecto? obviously foreshadowing
Also, why are they sitting on the roof?
For the view, ofcourse!
Plus it makes is a care free picture and shows they are a little different.
Corey91, Kingpin, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
Yes! The Creed movies are a perfect example of how the GBs should go... In a comedic sense of course.
But yes, the original guys take a back seat to the younger generation. Its Trevor & Pheobes story but the OGBs are still there as mentors and guides.
They sit back and watch the kids go forth and conquer but will step in when needed with advice and support.
There's a TMNT nod in that picture, I just...Cant put my finger on it. Maybe on the steering wheel.

If Rudd doesn't get possesed by the Terror Dog I do believe he or Carrie will be the ones to call in the OG's, and no we don't have to kill off the originals. I love Starwars. The passing of the torch doesn't have to be a carbon copy of their script.

I have reason to think that at the end of the movie Rudd will be setting up his own team then handing the reigns to the kids when they are old enough.For right now it's just him and the kids. The OG's might just leave Phoebe and the kid's in the junior Ghostbusters category to keep them involved.

Without a doubt there are already several nods to the Real Ghostbusters already shown in the trailer. At least from rewatching the free episodes on youtube i'm seeing connections.

I’m going to guess that at the end of the movie there isn’t going to be a new team set up for the future. They’ll work together to survive whatever crisis exists, but it’ll end there. The important story to wrap up will be Callie’s family getting back on their feet. I doubt there will be much left of the farmhouse at the end for them to settle there. It just doesn’t feel like this is pointing in the direction of going into business again. Just my 2 cents.
Michael Scott wrote:I’m going to guess that at the end of the movie there isn’t going to be a new team set up for the future. They’ll work together to survive whatever crisis exists, but it’ll end there. The important story to wrap up will be Callie’s family getting back on their feet. I doubt there will be much left of the farmhouse at the end for them to settle there. It just doesn’t feel like this is pointing in the direction of going into business again. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I am not really getting a going into or back into business vibe in the story Jason is planning on telling. :):):)
mrmichaelt liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]