By Emeren
I've recently started on a BenOfKent Proton Pack build, which is something I've been interested in doing for a few years now. My only prior experience with anything like this was a Spirit Pack modification that I did last year while in lockdown (I'm in the UK). So far I've only finished the Clippard Valve and pre-drilled the holes on a few other pieces like the PPD, Crank Knob and HGA.

I have a question about the short loom that attaches to the top of the PPD. Some reference images that I've seen appear to show the loom coming directly out of the PPD. However other images seem to suggest a rod-like fitting coming out of the top of PPD, with the loom then connected to this fitting.

Can anyone advise on which way is correct please?

Thanks
By Emeren
Krenzy wrote: June 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm Personal preference, really. It's a hose stuck into a hole with split loom at it's base, it's your choice if you'd like to put a hose barb in there, I never have and have had zero issues on my packs without it.
Thanks for the reply. I've been reading Canpara's build thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42368&start=30) which suggests the same thing for the injectors.
By Emeren
I'm currently pre-drilling the holes on the Ion Arm. I have the holes for the 3 resistors, legris elbow and the end cap already done, but I still have the clippard elbow hole to do.

Does anyone know the measurements of where the clippard elbow is located on a GB2 pack? I know it goes on top of the Ion Arm itself rather than on the end cap like in GB1, but the reference images I've seen tend to vary regarding the exact position.

Thanks in advance.
By Kingpin
Emeren wrote: June 20th, 2021, 10:04 am Does anyone know the measurements of where the clippard elbow is located on a GB2 pack?
Due to the hand-build nature of each pack, the measurements would naturally vary from prop to prop.

Sadly the fans have had few opportunities to measure and document the props because most of the time they've been inaccessible behind glass. Here are probably the best shots you we have, of the fitting added to the Super Hero:

By Emeren
I drilled the at 5 inches from the back of the Ion Arm, which looks correct based on these images. Thank you for providing those Kingpin.
By Emeren
Regarding the Beam Line and Filler, my understanding from looking at various images and posts is that they are same length, but the left one sits lower on the pack. However the beam line and filler tubes in the BenOfKent kit are different lengths, with one being 5 inches and the other being 4 inches.

Can anyone advise of which of these two goes on the right-hand side please? I'd imagine it would be the longer tube, but I'm just looking for some confirming before I start drilling the hole for the clippard elbow.

Thanks
By Kingpin
I believe the most accurate setup is having the two tubes be the same length... That's based on my interpretation of the available reference photos. I think these are some of the best examples available:

In addition to that, Mack's Factory, which has had access to the Super Hero pack in order to create its part selection appears to have made their Filler and Beam Lines the same height: LINK

Something also worth taking a look at is the gallery on Martial-Arts, as it features reference photos of one of the props from the movie on-display in September 1984: LINK
By tobycj
Emeren wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:21 am Regarding the Beam Line and Filler, my understanding from looking at various images and posts is that they are same length, but the left one sits lower on the pack. However the beam line and filler tubes in the BenOfKent kit are different lengths, with one being 5 inches and the other being 4 inches.

Can anyone advise of which of these two goes on the right-hand side please? I'd imagine it would be the longer tube, but I'm just looking for some confirming before I start drilling the hole for the clippard elbow.

Thanks
The BoK kit uses Stefan Otto's plans which are a little out of date in places, this being one of those places.
By Emeren
My build is coming along nicely so far. Most of the smaller parts have been pre-drilled and painted. Next step is drilling the holes in the Booster Tube to attach the frame.

One problem that I have noticed is that the bumper that I received in the kit appears to be warped. This is the first time I've taken it out of it's bubble wrap, but the ends are noticeably curved in too far. As I understand it, the interior width between the two ends should be 12", however mine is only around 11".
By tobycj
Might was a bit like that, once you fit it it'll bend to the right shape so should be fine. If there isn't enough flex in the arms to fit on the pack then drop BoK a message about it though.
cristovalc liked this
By Emeren
Mostly been working on the getting the shell pre-drilled these past couple of weeks, as well as getting the last few attachments painted.

I see what you meant about bending the bumper to make it fit, as that worked for me too. Something else that I noticed about the BoK bumper is that the arms seem a bit too short. Many of the reference images and threads that I've seen seem to suggest that the ends of the bumper arms should line-up with the back edge of the shell (where the motherboard attaches). However there is a gap of around 5 to 10mm between the ends of the bumper and the back edge. This is with the back of the bumper pushed right back against the cyclotron.

Has anyone else with experience of BoK kits had the same issue?
By tobycj
Yes, I mentioned this in my BoK build thread too. If you have the gap between bumper and cyclotron the bottom of the arms don't sit low enough, and if you have the bottom of the arms low enough the back of the bumper is almost flush to the cyclotron. I ended up replacing mine for a gbfans bumper which is much better sized tbh.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]