Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but it looks like there's confirmation that the gunner seat is going to be used more than once (not that there was ever any doubt otherwise). The quick shot of Phoebe using it in the newest trailer seems to be from a different scene and not on the town street as you can see the field in the background. It also looks like she has a more confident look on her face as it's not her first time, as opposed to her shocked & surprised reaction in the first trailer 2 years ago.

Kingpin, Jimsy33 liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:15 pm Although I do have my own skepticism/concern about the plot structuring this as another underdog thing
I think a big reason why this movie even got made was the fact that they were able to keep the budget very modest (including moving it out of a city setting). And obviously Jason found a new angle to explore by making this story about a family and gradually reintroducing everything that way.

But budget aside, I think another reason for them always going back to that is because it'd be hard to tell an intimate, character-driven story while also having the GBs as this big successful organization. A lot of Aykroyd's interviews over the years about the potential third movie always had him lighting up as he talked about all the new technology and special effects they could do, but I kept thinking, okay but where's the comedy going to come from? (One of the descriptions of his 'Hellbent' script talked about there being a whole fleet of Ectos along with even bigger vehicles - that sounds cool if you're doing an action movie, but it seems like a long way from the charm of the original.)

Obviously the overall concept lends itself to an infinite amount of storytelling - I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more video games or even spin-off shows introducing different branches of the GBs - but that would also potentially mean getting further away from what made the first movie so special.
MikeyJ122 liked this
The streams of ghosts are not necessarily something that only happens when an containment unit explodes. It's just many ghosts being together at the same time.

Besides they seem to come out of the volcano where the Gozer Temple is situated. The portal has just been blown open like we see happening in the trailer and ghost world is spewing out it's residents into our world.

Also, I don't think Egon found the Gozer Temple and thought: good place for a containment unit!

That being said,he did want to drill a hole in his head...
Sav C, Coover5, SpaceBallz liked this
One aspect that Jason addressed was how the kids are going to bust ghosts in this movie, it's not going to be like the OG's did. He used the car scene as an example, one person drives, one person is in the gunner seat, and another is operating the RC trap. Which I feel is a smart idea, instead of all 4 carrying proton packs, each person has specific jobs. Plus it will help them develop their own Ghostbusting style, similar to EGB to a degree. The OG's will always be more professional, they ARE the professionals. The new team will be more makeshift, but can get the job done.
starang11, Corey91 liked this
starang11 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:00 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:15 pm Although I do have my own skepticism/concern about the plot structuring this as another underdog thing
I think a big reason why this movie even got made was the fact that they were able to keep the budget very modest (including moving it out of a city setting). And obviously Jason found a new angle to explore by making this story about a family and gradually reintroducing everything that way.

But budget aside, I think another reason for them always going back to that is because it'd be hard to tell an intimate, character-driven story while also having the GBs as this big successful organization. A lot of Aykroyd's interviews over the years about the potential third movie always had him lighting up as he talked about all the new technology and special effects they could do, but I kept thinking, okay but where's the comedy going to come from? (One of the descriptions of his 'Hellbent' script talked about there being a whole fleet of Ectos along with even bigger vehicles - that sounds cool if you're doing an action movie, but it seems like a long way from the charm of the original.)

Obviously the overall concept lends itself to an infinite amount of storytelling - I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more video games or even spin-off shows introducing different branches of the GBs - but that would also potentially mean getting further away from what made the first movie so special.
I was literally thinking the same thing, Dan was always pushing for BIGGER, when the trick might be in the opposite... Smaller. Having the Ghostbusters ending up on a different path than RGB and all the failed 3rd scripts had in common was success and fame. Basically what Peter always wanted. Having Ghostbusting being this amazing thing they did, that has been rediculed over time, keeps the underdog aspects alive, especially when you look at the new team. These kids are major underdogs, which is good for the GB spirit imo.

Let's not forget that Bill was ALWAYS against going bigger, that was his complaint with GB2. As much as I loved the Statue of Liberty scene as a kid, it's a little rediculous imo. I think the way Jason grounded Afterlife might have been what Bill had been wanting all along.

As much as I love TVG, can you really imagine it as a film? A TON would have to get cut out. It's an interesting story (from a GB mythology standpoint), but from a character stand point? Not at all. Alyssa Milano's character is NO Dana Barrett. The mayor is interesting, but it's Brian Doyal Murray (he's always good). The rest is all legacy characters. Most of the Hellbent ideas ended up in the game, and they are fun... In a game. But I have faith that Afterlife will be the better film.
starang11 liked this
pizzarat wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:40 pm Did Jason's comment about conspiracy theories include both films? I gotta see this.
He talks about it in the trailer breakdown over at the IGN YouTube account. Right around the spot where they're watching the OGBs on YouTube and you can see the related videos area.
Alphagaia, tylergfoster liked this
It seems like all the early leaks and spoilers were true then. All of it matches with the trailer.

What was your reaction to seeing Gozer prominent in the trailer? Gozer is one of my favorite characters in any supernatural story. The mysterious look, design, and pyramid temple are the stuff the old fantasy folders from school are made of!

I believe there's a shot of Gozers flat top and arm out stretched coming from the pit.

I wonder who played Gozer this time
MikeyJ122 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 10:31 pmI was literally thinking the same thing, Dan was always pushing for BIGGER, when the trick might be in the opposite... Smaller. Having the Ghostbusters ending up on a different path than RGB and all the failed 3rd scripts had in common was success and fame. Basically what Peter always wanted. Having Ghostbusting being this amazing thing they did, that has been rediculed over time, keeps the underdog aspects alive, especially when you look at the new team. These kids are major underdogs, which is good for the GB spirit imo.
Bigger is part of the problem, but the solution is not necessarily to revert to smaller. You mention a different path than "RGB" -- why? IMO, that is the one true, unilaterally workable Ghostbusters sequel idea: it becomes a day-to-day job, and you tell stories about individual busts. Doesn't even have to be the original crew; you could go the "nationwide franchise " route and show some other location's work. Since the original 1984 movie is about saving the world, it sort of forces the hand of anyone doing a sequel to come up with another apocalyptic threat, but having to top yourself every time is a problem, so you turn to something a bit more episodic.

There is an alternative, which is far more complex and challenging. Ghostbusters: Afterlife is theoretically in a good position to follow it, but it'll be hard to say how it would work until we've seen the movie, which is that you have to have an organic new thing that push the characters farther along their journey. Ghostbusters is bulletproof on character dynamics, but it isn't really an arc movie beyond broad strokes -- namely, that Peter stops being a skeptic, and the business is legitimized. If Phoebe is discovering her grandfather's legacy in this one, then what is the next stepping stone? Further developing his legacy, and if so, in what way?
Long time reader. First time poster.

If this was already addressed, I apologize. There’s a lot of talk on this board and Reddit regarding the believability of the general population in Afterlife forgetting the events of GB1 and GB2 and I think Jason Reitman May have already cleverly supplied us with a clue as to how this happened...

Here’s a link to an article explaining the psychology of how/why people forget significant events and memories. It gets a tad political but the first few paragraphs are important and explain the relationship between totalitarianism and “societal forgetting.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chica ... utType=amp

With that in mind, there’s a clip in the new trailer that shows a YouTube video with the title “10 Signs the Government is Run by Shandorians.” I think a fan theory has already been pointed out that the town of Summerville may be populated with Gozer worshipers... but what if it’s bigger than that? What if the erasure of ‘84 and ‘89 wasn’t an accident? What if the conspiracy Jason was referring to was the suppression of Ghostbuster history by a much larger, powerful, and secretive network of Shandorians?

I know this is a massive speculation but this could establish a much larger GB universe than just Ivo and Gozer but the cult itself.
deadderek, Corey91, tylergfoster and 2 others liked this
You know what would really kick ass for the series going forward?

Successive films being about whoever (Phoebe, Ray, Grooberson... whoever) going around the country investigating various paranormal phenomena. No longer locked down to a single location, or as a business or attempt at a business franchise... just a freelance team of Ghostbusters traveling the country in the broken down Ectomobile going against whatever they find (perhaps salvaging new parts to restore Ecto along the way)? It probably would work better as a TV series than a series of films... but I think that's the fresher way to go.

The reboot being another cookie-cutter GB adventure forced Afterlife to do something fresh, and I think it'd be better that way. I'm not attached to the idea of GB as a dedicated business anymore, all other GB media has followed that format, and I think it's time for a change. "Haunted America" was one of the coolest stories the IDW series did, and GB3 is kind of tapping into that same flavor.
DocLathropBrown wrote: July 31st, 2021, 5:20 pm You know what would really kick ass for the series going forward?

Successive films being about whoever (Phoebe, Ray, Grooberson... whoever) going around the country investigating various paranormal phenomena. No longer locked down to a single location, or as a business or attempt at a business franchise... just a freelance team of Ghostbusters traveling the country in the broken down Ectomobile going against whatever they find (perhaps salvaging new parts to restore Ecto along the way)? It probably would work better as a TV series than a series of films... but I think that's the fresher way to go.

The reboot being another cookie-cutter GB adventure forced Afterlife to do something fresh, and I think it'd be better that way. I'm not attached to the idea of GB as a dedicated business anymore, all other GB media has followed that format, and I think it's time for a change. "Haunted America" was one of the coolest stories the IDW series did, and GB3 is kind of tapping into that same flavor.
I agree with you. The business aspect was GREAT in the first film, but has since been the major problem. You either have to go all out and ghosts are everywhere, and GB franchises are in every city or Gozer and Vigo came... And that's it. Which is more realistic honestly. The idea of ghosts everywhere, and franchises everywhere, or worse Ghostbusters becoming government or militaryish... Just seems SO FAR from the original premise.

Honestly I like the idea of going the series route. Which correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Columbia aka Sony also doing Cobra Kai? Which that's the vibe I'm getting from Afterlife, Cobra Kai has paid proper respect for Karate Kid.

I like the idea of a 10 part series, with the kids (and Grooberson) traveling around in Wrecto having small adventures. It would be the perfect way to do Boogeyman, Samhain, etc. Have Ray and Winston pop in for cameos... I'm in, lol.
MikeyJ122 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 6:56 pm I like the idea of a 10 part series, with the kids (and Grooberson) traveling around in Wrecto having small adventures. It would be the perfect way to do Boogeyman, Samhain, etc. Have Ray and Winston pop in for cameos... I'm in, lol.
That sounds like a late 90s spin off cartoon like Godzilla or Jumanji.
deadderek liked this
Has anyone thought that the ghosts coming from the mine could be the result of one of Shandors devices? The idea came from the video game, but Jason could have developed it a little bit more. We have what could be gozer crawling out of the mine but what if Shandor drew Gozer's remaining energy into an early ghost trap building on it over time? A device that could have been triggered after Gozer's defeat? We could still see Shandor step out as a male version of Gozer.

Ivo doesn't seem like the type to blindly worship Gozer, but he does seem like the type to not tell his followers everything. I do see him coming up with a back up plan in case plan A fails.

A scene i'd like to see happen would be one of the kid's opening Louis' locker showing the slimeblower. Then maybe seeing the kids work on the slimeblower mark II.
deadderek liked this
Going back to the temple in the mine, I really love the set they've got going... It's something that is definitely going to rival the temple from the original movie. The statue of Gozer and the Sentinel/s are all the right kinds of creepy, and I like the thematic idea of Gozer looming large over things even when it hasn't (potentially) manifested yet.

It's also a nice sort of combination of the concepts of the first two movies: where in 1984 the threat manifested above the streets of New York, and in '89 it manifested from beneath.
MikeyJ122, Corey91, deadderek and 2 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: July 31st, 2021, 9:40 pm Going back to the temple in the mine, I really love the set they've got going... It's something that is definitely going to rival the temple from the original movie. The statue of Gozer and the Sentinel/s are all the right kinds of creepy, and I like the thematic idea of Gozer looming large over things even when it hasn't (potentially) manifested yet.

It's also a nice sort of combination of the concepts of the first two movies: where in 1984 the threat manifested above the streets of New York, and in '89 it manifested from beneath.
I agree, the Gozer temple they got in the mine looks FANTASTIC.

When I saw the first trailer (almost two years ago now, lol), when I heard the Terror Dog growl, I figured it had to be Gozer (why else would there be a Terror Dog?) I was nervous about going the Gozer direction again, you are going to draw so many comparisons to the original film. Well the way Jason has gone about it has been PERFECT. Gozer IS the perfect villain to be in this film.
To be honest, I personally found the Gozer statue a tad to on the nose. Not really sure why. Perhaps because Gozer is a shapeshifter I hope there is a solid (haha) reason for why we see the familiar face again. Liked the little Pompeii men, though!

Someone here said perhaps it was made after 1984 which 'could' make sense, though no one else wasn't on the roof when Gozer appeared.

Not a big problem, though. Just a thing that would be nice if it has an explanation.
Last edited by Alphagaia on July 31st, 2021, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Alphagaia wrote: July 31st, 2021, 10:10 pm To be honest, I personally found the Gozer statue a tad to on the nose. Not really sure why. Perhaps because Gozer is a shapeshifter I hope there is a solid (haha) reason for why we see the familiar face again. Liked the little Pompeii men, though!
I get what you mean but for audiences it's the iconic form and in-universe it was one of the pre-chosen forms, which I believe means that was a destructor form chosen on a world it destroyed before it returned on Earth in 1984. And/or that's what form Gozer had before in ancient times, too. Peter did tell Dana Zuul was worshiped in 6000 B.C. by the Hittites, Mesopotamians, and Sumerians so by extension Gozer and Vinz were around, too. TVG expanded on this with Tiamat's cult winning and banishing Gozer from this dimension then it took on the role of destroyer, going from dimension to dimension. I would guess Vinz Clortho while he was in possession of a host on ancient Earth droned on and on about Gozer. Cultists took down what he said verbatim (i.e. like when he droned about to Egon and Janine in the Firehouse). And in oral tradition or even early art, descriptions of Gozer were preserved. And when Shandor and his cult builds this underground temple, they used what was written or drawn to recreate statues of Gozer's forms, the Terror Dogs, the souls, etc.

Also, the mini-bio of Podcast's Plasma Series figure board confirms a small detail.
https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-GHB ... 08MV9TP1X/
I did it a little deeper dive by checking out the 'original' Gozer Temple, and at least it's consistent with the door that's showing up there:

As we can see the figure has a flattop as well. So there is that. Still find it weird. Perhaps it's just me.

Or maybe little old Gozer just likes to put flattops on everything and Stay Puft had one hidden under his hat.
mrmichaelt, MikeyJ122 liked this
Alphagaia wrote: July 31st, 2021, 10:10 pm To be honest, I personally found the Gozer statue a tad to on the nose. Not really sure why. Perhaps because Gozer is a shapeshifter I hope there is a solid (haha) reason for why we see the familiar face again. Liked the little Pompeii men, though!
My thought; perhaps Gozer has to stay in that form, until a new form is chosen. This isnt the destructor form, but perhaps the traveler form? Shandor would have chosen that form with this temple he built Summerville perhaps? As Vinz says "Gozer the traveler will come in one of his prechosen forms."

I honestly like the idea of Gozer looking the same. If they changed Gozer, it would ALWAYS be the "not as good" Gozer.
seekandannoy liked this
You know…

I decided to watch Ghostbusters tonight and the strangest thing happened. The scene where Janine tells Egon she’s psychic and has the feeling something terrible is going to happen and that she’s afraid he’s going to die? I don’t know why but I just started to cry. Seriously.

Like legit cry. This feeling hit me of complete and utter sadness. Janine was right. Egon did die. And it seems it was maybe related to Gozer. Was her psychic feeling off by a decade or two?

Now…I don’t cry at movies. Ever. That’s not some macho BS but I just don’t cry at movies for some reason. And I guess after having rewatched the 2nd trailer to GBA countless times now, that line of dialogue took on a whole new meaning. The way Egon embraces her like “oh it’s ok I’ll be fine”. And now both Harold and Egon are gone. It shocked the hell out of me. I’ve watched this movie countless times since Harold passed. This is the first time I got legitimately emotional. I think it has to due with the new film & Annie Potts presence in that trailer.

So maybe Janine is Psychic. In a deleted scene she gives Egon a lucky coin, maybe in Summerville Egon didn’t have the lucky coin with him & it cost him his life. I don’t know. But damn.
MikeyJ122, Sav C, RedSpecial and 1 others liked this
Corey91 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:26 pm Not sure if this has been mentioned but it looks like there's confirmation that the gunner seat is going to be used more than once (not that there was ever any doubt otherwise). The quick shot of Phoebe using it in the newest trailer seems to be from a different scene and not on the town street as you can see the field in the background. It also looks like she has a more confident look on her face as it's not her first time, as opposed to her shocked & surprised reaction in the first trailer 2 years ago.

That coud take place when they are chasing the ghost out of town as they go to an abandoned factory, as seen in the first trailer and a featurette.
Corey91 liked this
Jimsy33 wrote: August 1st, 2021, 2:03 am
Alphagaia wrote: August 1st, 2021, 1:58 am I believe the abandoned factory is where they first encounter Muncher.

My guess is that image is taken of the crew hurrying back to the town because the volcano they were at just blasted out all those ghosts and they need to save the townspeople.
Oh I like that :-D
I love it as well!

I just wonder how many flies will be sticking on her face after she is done.
Jimsy33 liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]