Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
JonXCTrack wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:09 am
timeware wrote:Found this from a quick search on Ecto one a:

So if wrecto get's destroyed does anyone think that the possbility of a CGI edited Ecto 1-A will be left at the farm or police station for the kids as a knd of passing the torch scene? It would be the perfect ending that the OG's leave it in their custody after they prove themselves as full fledged busters.

The kids open the garage, we see Grooberson under the vehicle and the were back sign starts to power on. Then we see Slimer in the drivers seat with a mini puft dangling it's feet over an open glove box. The kids and grooberson run after the car as it swerves down the street.
I think that would be a bit corny. I think it's more likely that if Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A are different cars, then there will be some kind of story explaining what happened to Ecto-1A. "It was our last big bust. Truly epic! Egon used the Brooklyn Bridge to make an interdimensional gateway to seal away Cycnus. But when the portal closed, it took the Ecto-1A and half of the bridge with it!"
Maybe a little corny, but it fit's with how the last three movies ended. Slimer making a final showing. The first trailer was done in CGI so I wouldn't think adding the GBII equipment to wrecto and removing the rust would be all that difficult to do. With all the new focus on the minipuft's does anyone really think Afterlife is going to be their last hurrah? An end credit scene is almost certain.
pizzarat wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:03 pm The thing is that a lot of other people aren't following this movie as obsessively as we are.
I was reminded of this when I saw a youtube comment under last week's trailer that said something like, "Woah I didn't know Paul Rudd was in this, I'm in!"
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:Ray's Occult is the only GB2 nod we need.
I agree. Even without that, unless the movie went out of its way to contradict something from GB2, there would be no reason to assume it wasn't canon. That being said, it would be a little odd for the characters to be talking about this big "crossrip" incident from '84 but not mention the time the Statue of Liberty walked through the city.
pizzarat, deadderek, Corey91 liked this
starang11 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:49 am
pizzarat wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:03 pm The thing is that a lot of other people aren't following this movie as obsessively as we are.
I was reminded of this when I saw a youtube comment under last week's trailer that said something like, "Woah I didn't know Paul Rudd was in this, I'm in!"
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:Ray's Occult is the only GB2 nod we need.
I agree. Even without that, unless the movie went out of its way to contradict something from GB2, there would be no reason to assume it wasn't canon. That being said, it would be a little odd for the characters to be talking about this big "crossrip" incident from '84 but not mention the time the Statue of Liberty walked through the city.
I think we'll get at least one reference to the events from GBII, and maybe some nifty visual cues like the logo or a broken slime-blower. The AMC splash-page last year mentioned that Afterlife will tie together the events of both films, so my guess is Shandor/Gozer will be the mechanism. If those numbers surrounding Phoebe in that one shot are years, I have to think 1989 will be next to 1984.
timeware wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:43 amThe first trailer was done in CGI
The first trailer? You mean this teaser?

The only CG elements are the proton stream, some of the weather atmospherics, and maybe the rust on Ecto-1 if it wasn't temporary make-up.

The car itself was the original filming car from 1984.
pizzarat wrote: August 5th, 2021, 10:34 am
starang11 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:49 am

I think we'll get at least one reference to the events from GBII, and maybe some nifty visual cues like the logo or a broken slime-blower. The AMC splash-page last year mentioned that Afterlife will tie together the events of both films, so my guess is Shandor/Gozer will be the mechanism. If those numbers surrounding Phoebe in that one shot are years, I have to think 1989 will be next to 1984.
Next to 1984 is 2020. So it's likely the years are specific to Shandor related shenanigans:
Just like the GB2 situation there was a tiny handful of people who kept thinking the movie would take place in the past. 10 years ago or so. Despite not a SINGLE reason to think so.

The on set license plates (the fakes made up) all have 2020 on them. There's a 2019 cookbook in the trailer. Yet weird rumors spring up with no basis in reality.
Hoping a new poster is released soon because I’m find it increasingly harder or too expensive to obtain the one already released…probably doesn’t help that the date kept changing.

Also if anyone knows somewhere of a site to purchase the USA Today cover from GB 84 that would be appreciated also. I saw retro propz did on Instagram but he’s currently out.
The reason people are probably scared GBII is going to be ommited, is because it seems like an obsession for writers lately to write out the entry that wasn't accepted 100%.
And for those saying,
"It has Ray's Occult shop!".
Many movies that write out entries will throw bones at the fans of the ignored entry.
So not saying they will ignore it, but with all the footage focusing on 1984, GBII is looking more like the step child entry.
Cincithon1109 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 12:56 pm The reason people are probably scared GBII is going to be ommited, is because it seems like an obsession for writers lately to write out the entry that wasn't accepted 100%.
And for those saying,
Many movies that write out entries will throw bones at the fans of the ignored entry.
So not saying they will ignore it, but with all the footage focusing on 1984, GBII is looking more like the step child entry.
“Looking like the step child entry?”— My dude. You’ve seen a fraction of a single moment with the original cast. The new kids aren’t even aware of Ghostbusting as a thing. And the villain is Gozer related. Why would the trailer feature any footage to the 2nd film?

Ghostbusters 2 is not being omitted. It never was. Never, ever ever. Anyone who thinks that would or could ever happen is either being willfully ignorant or not paying attention. Will Vigo get a name check? I don’t know and I don’t care. Fan service doesnt interest me. A good movie does. Why are they showing footage from the first movie? Because it’s the more recognizable of the two. Has there been an example of a so called “legacy sequel” where the original CAST, WRITERS & DIRECTOR have all been brought back? All those movies that get ignored in those other franchises don’t have that. Ghostbusters 2 had the same creative team and stars as Ghostbusters 1.

Come on ladies and gentleman. I get wondering about the video game. But the fact that anyone here legitimately thought “Will they ignore Ghostbusters 2?” surprises the heck out of me. Will it be important to the plot? No. Probably not. Nor should we want it to be. Frankly if Vigo somehow shows up in this movie I think we’ll have bigger problems to worry about.

Or if we get lame ass call backs like “hey remember that time you got possessed by Vigo, Ray? Good times. Those were the days” or “Hey Winston. Remember when we went for a walk in the Statue of Liberty? What’s that? Why am I bringing that up now? Oh I don’t know. Wink wink”

Let’s just hope for a good-great movie. Jason has already said there will be Easter eggs galore. Considering that they have the same frickin red phone from Ray’s Occult, I think y’all have nothing to worry about. You’ll have plenty of things to point at and go “Hey! I know what that is!” and explain it to your disinterested but pretending to be interested wife/husband or girlfriend. “Hey honey, you see that orange console on wheels? Well that’s one of the items the university takes away from the guys in the first film!”
Kingpin, deadderek, Alphagaia and 6 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Just stop it Richardless. Us Ghostbusters II fans can't feel validated unless Vigo narrates the next trailer.
Under a mountain of Selenium, in a cavern of Gozerian relics, I sat in a well of souls. What was will be; what is will be no more. Now is the season of Delta Variant.

Bring me a Yugoslavian model with a flat top so that I might live again.
JWils23, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
Cincithon1109 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 12:56 pm The reason people are probably scared GBII is going to be ommited, is because it seems like an obsession for writers lately to write out the entry that wasn't accepted 100%.
And for those saying,
A downright dumb thought to have when there's 0 evidence to back it up. Not a SINGLE shred of evidence to think otherwise.
deadderek wrote: August 5th, 2021, 2:41 pm
And for those saying,
A downright dumb thought to have when there's 0 evidence to back it up. Not a SINGLE shred of evidence to think otherwise.
Dude.....you need a hug.
groschopf, pizzarat, Corey91 and 3 others liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: August 5th, 2021, 2:28 pm
Alphagaia wrote:Just stop it Richardless. Us Ghostbusters II fans can't feel validated unless Vigo narrates the next trailer.
Under a mountain of Selenium, in a cavern of Gozerian relics, I sat in a well of souls. What was will be; what is will be no more. Now is the season of Delta Variant.

Bring me a Yugoslavian model with a flat top so that I might live again.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THE TRAILER IS OVER? I , VIGO THE SORROW OF MOLDAVIA, DECIDE WHEN THE TRAILER IS OVER!!!
Sav C liked this
Ghostbusters fans, like all fans, have a tendency to get caught up in ideas and run away with them.

Remember when some fans were so absolutely certain when we saw the Times Square scene in the trailer for ATC that it was going to be a time warp to 1984? And that we might see the original Ghostbusters?

We gotta calm down about these assumptions we jump to. :P
Sav C, Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
Switching gears...

My gut feeling regarding the Firehouse is, it'll get mentioned or referenced, but the Ghostbusters no longer have it. So I feel it's a thing of GB past at this point, hence why we haven't seen a SINGLE piece of toy/merch/whatever firehouse related. Going forward this farmhouse from Afterlife is most likely going to be the base of operations imo, if they need a "base of operations."
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm Switching gears...

My gut feeling regarding the Firehouse is, it'll get mentioned or referenced, but the Ghostbusters no longer have it. So I feel it's a thing of GB past at this point, hence why we haven't seen a SINGLE piece of toy/merch/whatever firehouse related. Going forward this farmhouse from Afterlife is most likely going to be the base of operations imo, if they need a "base of operations."

In my mind, just my mind, Ray still owns it to watch over the ECU. He lives there all alone and works at ROB during the day.
Maybe he rents out the very top level to help with the bills.
groschopf, Sav C liked this
In regards to the "feel" or "tone" of the film, while I DO think it will feel like a Ghostbusters film, the comedy aspect is the elephant in the room. While I do think it's going to have its moments, I expect it to be the least funny of the 3 (I think GB2 is underated comedy wise). But that has to do with the filmmakers that made the films, and their particular styles.

Ivan Reitman (based on his films, and his types of films), comes across as this big circus ringleader on set. He knows how to reign in all the talent, and how to create situations that are genuinely comical. As far as Ghostbusters is concerned, he hasn't been the creative force behind it (that's been Dan and Harold). I don't think Ivan even helped develop the characters themselves all that much, I think the individual actors REALLY brought all those characters to life, made them interesting. Ivan just knew how to shoot the film, and be final say on everything. Which isn't a bad thing, that's his gift as a director. Even on the set of Afterlife, he seemed to be looking over Jason's shoulder a lot.

Jason Reitman in the other hand excels in character/story driven narratives. Those are what HE excels at, and I believe THAT'S what we are getting here. I'm not saying Afterlife won't have some funny moments, but to try and recreate that comedic magic of the original... That might be what's the true "lightning in a bottle." Even GB2, while very funny in its own right, feels a little forced at times.

Having said all of that, you can take the rest of what made Ghostbusters great, and change up the film type, and make a good film.
groschopf liked this
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm Switching gears...

There exists the possibility that we'll at least see the firehouse in a flashback, if this toy artwork is any indication:

Not trying to be a contrarian, just pointing out what I noticed :)

All that noted, I think your right about the farmhouse being the base of operations for Afterlife. It'll have Egon's lab, the barn with Ecto-1, Egon's office, and whatever those silos with the insulators do.
pizzarat liked this
Bison256 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm I have doubts that the farm house will survive the movie. Why else would they build a verison on a sound stage.
Control of environment. Mckenna Grace & Logan Kim...(maybe Finn Wolfhard) are/were underage. They can't work past certain times. I'd imagine having a sound stage set up means you can film during the day and have it be night so you can still get stuff done with the kids. Or a sunny day if it rains.
Plus they have lighting gags for, I assume, Egons ghost.
Kingpin, zeta otaku, Corey91 liked this
groschopf wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:07 amIf I'm Dan, and I look at how that entanglement of each person's rights prevented more movies being made, eschewing the deal was the smart thing to do.
I am 100% confident Ghostbusters 3 would've been made before this if that veto arrangement hadn't been in place...for better or worse.
JonXCTrack wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:10 amMurray may have been the reason Ghostbusters 3 wasn't made years ago, but maybe he wasn't being a jerk, and really thought the scripts were terrible.
I simultaneously think that Bill never read a Ghostbusters 3 script before Afterlife, and also feel confident that the sequels pitched in the interim would've been okay at best. The concept for Hellbent is cool, but the jokes that are always cited (like "Luke Siffler") aren't exactly convincing.

I'll also give the potentially controversial opinion that the game strikes me as mediocre in all the ways I would've expected the third movie to be mediocre. The jokes and levels continually call back to the original movies instead of doing something fresh, and so do the mythos in the story (which is why I'm so concerned about seeing that in Afterlife). Bill also gives a pretty over-the-top performance in it, although in this hypothetical alternate universe where there was no deal, I doubt he would've been in it at all.
RichardLess wrote: August 4th, 2021, 11:46 amAnd yes, Aykroyd and Ramis complemented each other wonderfully.

I’ve always resisted the idea that they needed new GBs in the mid-late 1990s to pass the torch to.
If I were to boil down the core issue with Ghostbusters 3 through the '90s and early '00s, it's that what we were getting was almost all Aykroyd and very little Ramis, IMO.

IMO, between the four guys and Ivan, I think that's about the full spectrum of levels of commitment to a Ghostbusters 3. Bill on the negative end, with his feeling that Ghostbusters II wasn't up to snuff and a strong desire to do other things. Harold is warmer, not exactly negative, but simply that the "other things" were the source of his active attention, even if he was easygoing and willing to contribute to Dan's ideas. Ivan was probably right in the middle: actively willing, if the script was right, but arguably the most pragmatic about the obstacles in the way. Then you have Ernie, a working actor who was game for anything, and finally Dan, the full-on cheerleader.

In keeping with that, I feel like Harold was the one who was most consistently bringing up the fact that they needed new blood. Some of that was pragmatism (both artistic and commercial), some of that might've been his own step back from the spotlight, and some of that was his generosity -- I think he probably would've liked shepherding some young actors into a big spotlight, and maybe the opportunity to play comedically with fresh talent was something that would've made him more invested in the project.
RichardLess wrote: August 4th, 2021, 11:46 amOne thing that kind of excites me with us finally getting a 3rd film is hopefully us getting a documentary on the eventual DVD/Blu Ray about the crazy long journey this movie has been thru.
While I would really like that, I'm skeptical it will be on the Afterlife Blu-ray. I can imagine five minutes being devoted to this in an EPK, but really digging into it sounds more like something a fan will have to be passionate about.
RichardLess wrote: August 4th, 2021, 11:46 amI’m just thankful we never got the “Venkman is a ghost” or “Ray and Egon are ghosts” ideas. I HATED that concept. It was too shark jumpy for me.
When Bill said it, I assume that was just a flip joke. I was kind of surprised that they went that route with Alive Again.
JonXCTrack wrote: August 4th, 2021, 12:36 pmI'm wondering what will happen with Ecto-Force should Ghostbusters: Afterlife be successful.
Isn't this dead?
lozbloke wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:01 pm Likewise, what happened to the Etan Cohen script. Did any plot details of that ever surface. I can't remember now lol
Wasn't Alive Again the Etan draft? He might've rewrote Stupnitsky and Eisenberg as well, but Etan is the last writer I remember tackling the project before it became a reboot.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:39 pmI also feel that Jason, Ivan and Dan need to sit down within the next few months and REALLY start planning out the future of the franchise. Does Jason want to do more GB films? I think the idea of Cobrai Kai type series is smart, but that's just my opinion.
To be entirely honest, I don't know what's going to happen after this, but I would be somewhat surprised if Jason remains as more than an executive producer. One of the things that gives me the most hope for the film as a film and not just as a fan of the series is that Jason has an emotional hook, which is exploring his father's legacy. He says in "Pass the Proton Pack" that he was the age his father was when Ivan made Ghostbusters, and I think that made him introspective. I want the franchise to continue for sure, but I also think that Jason will move on to another thing after this, and not stick around to be the steward of Ghostbusters.
BatDan wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:57 pmEvolution was just a (desperate?) attempt to recreating GB..its almost like it was GB3 just filtered out all the IP. That movie wouldve been better had Harold doctored up a draft for Ivan.
I used to feel this was true, but looking at it now, I think the movie is better than that, even if it's only occasionally successful. So much of what makes it seem like Ghostbusters is the marketing, with the symbol the marketing is built around and the ridiculous cartoon. While I have always wanted more Ghostbusters movies and I'm excited for Afterlife and whatever comes next, I think Evolution was a smarter thing to do: apply the broad formula to something new. In an IP-saturated marketplace, the movie ends up feeling refreshing.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:14 pmHence why Gozer is a GREAT choice for a villain. How often do we see the same villain return in a franchise (outside of horror)?
I feel like this happens all the time. I don't think the normies are any more swayed by Gozer than anything else -- I honestly don't think they even recognize Gozer in the trailer. They probably recognize the Terror Dog.
RichardLess wrote: August 5th, 2021, 1:37 pmHas there been an example of a so called “legacy sequel” where the original CAST, WRITERS & DIRECTOR have all been brought back?
Quite a few of them, including some that qualify more than Afterlife.

Key living people from all categories, albeit not in the same roles, ala Afterlife:
  • Blade Runner 2049 (Ridley Scott, Hampton Fancher, Harrison Ford)
  • Creed (Sylvester Stallone, Robert Chartoff, Irwin Winkler)
  • Halloween (2018) (John Carpenter, Jamie Lee Curtis)
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Harrison Ford)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, Hugh Keays-Byrne)
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton)
Meets your criteria better than Afterlife:
  • T2 Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, John Hodge, Andrew MacDonald, the five leads)
Meets most of your criteria:
  • Bill & Ted Face the Music (Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson, Scott Kroopf, Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, William Sadler, several other cast members -- note that all three of the movies have had different directors now)
pizzarat liked this
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]