Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Ron Daniels wrote:Non-spoiler article on Screenrant mostly focused on Finn’s comments about Bill Murray reacting to the new packs.

https://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-aft ... ll-murray/

Fairly tame if you are remaining completely spoiler free.
I hope Bill didn’t literally mean “special treatment” when describing the packs. But I’m glad he finally came back to be with his fellow ghostbusters one last time.
groschopf wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote: October 14th, 2021, 3:59 am The digital version of Total Film Nov. 2021 is now for sale at 3.99.
https://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-sing ... sue.thtml?

10 pages+table of contents. Some new stills (6) and bts photos (4), plus some we've seen before. Some tidbits like Grace read Violet Stiel's book as part of her prep and bringing a certain toy to life.

3 stills can be seen here:
https://www.gamesradar.com/ghostbusters ... total-film
Okay so...

Spoiler. Spoiler spoiler for tech and prop nerds.
This Post Contains Spoilers
I saw Adam’s video and pack. I sure hope he didn’t spoil what the packs look like underneath the cyclotron lid (cap? Top? Hat? Bucket? 😂) I’d prefer to see that for myself in the film.

What I would like to know is:
a. How much screen time the og boys in gray have
And
b. Is Slimer in it at all, even if just a callback or reference? Do we see him?

Also, I am new to this forum but a long time reader. I don’t know how to do spoiler tags, so if anyone wants to PM me either the answers to those spoilers or how to add spoiler tags, I’d be very grateful. Hope everyone is doing well :crunch:
JohnnyKCups wrote:
groschopf wrote: Okay so...

Spoiler. Spoiler spoiler for tech and prop nerds.
I saw Adam’s video and pack. I sure hope he didn’t spoil what the packs look like underneath the cyclotron lid (cap? Top? Hat? Bucket? 😂) I’d prefer to see that for myself in the film.

And

Also, I am new to this forum but a long time reader. I don’t know how to do spoiler tags, so if anyone wants to PM me either the answers to those spoilers or how to add spoiler tags, I’d be very grateful. Hope everyone is doing well :crunch:
Welcome aboard! When you are creating a post, at the top there is a button that says "BBcodes." Click on that and a Spoilers tag is one of the options. Type your post between the header and footer and you're good. If you make a mistake, we'll forgive you, and one of the mods will likely correct it for you.
groschopf wrote: October 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: October 13th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Dan and Ernie being mentors to a young team would be perfect.
TOTALLY. They were great as a duo in that "judgment day" scene in the first film.

Winston's able to the see forest when Ray is just planting his face in a tree and studying it. They'd be great at counterbalancing one another educating a new team on technical details without overlooking the wider picture.
Absolutely. I think about the scene in Ghostbusters 2 where the guys are trying to convince the mayor that there is mood slime flowing under the city. Ray gives the mayor the technobabble description, and when the Mayor says "Does anybody speak English here?" Winston is able to provide a layman's explanation. I think that dynamic works well for training a new team.
Wafflerobot, Sav C, Corey91 and 1 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: October 15th, 2021, 2:16 am I'll repeat again, we currently don't allow the 2016 movie to be discussed in this thread because of how incendiary the topic still is. Posts will be deleted or edited and/or users issued an infraction.
I gotta say. This is ridiculous and embarrassing that we can’t talk about a movie without it being considered “incendiary”. A movie that came out 5 years ago.

This is a Ghostbusters 3 topic and it’s only natural for the other movies to come up. Ghostbusters 2 is brought up every now and again and some people have the same criticism and issues today that they did in 1989. The other movies should be treated the same way.

You know what I’m noticing? A lot of the people out there making such noise and turning the reviews for GBA into a political thing, they aren’t “fans”. Not like us. Most of them are just generic movie or pop culture commentators. But what happens is they get grouped in somehow with real hardcore fans and suddenly our fanbase is getting dragged thru the muck AGAIN.

And see there’s something else I wanted to add to this that’s relevant but since apparently people can’t control themselves I can’t mention it because it involves a movie that must not be named. I even tried writing it in a way where I don’t mention it directly but I didn’t want to seem like I was trying to be a smart ass & get around the rules.
timeware, Corey91, deadderek and 4 others liked this
You know what I’m noticing? A lot of the people out there making such noise and turning the reviews for GBA into a political thing, they aren’t “fans”. Not like us. Most of them are just generic movie or pop culture commentators. But what happens is they get grouped in somehow with real hardcore fans and suddenly our fanbase is getting dragged thru the muck AGAIN.
You hit the nail on the head.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: October 15th, 2021, 9:03 am
Absolutely. I think about the scene in Ghostbusters 2 where the guys are trying to convince the mayor that there is mood slime flowing under the city. Ray gives the mayor the technobabble description, and when the Mayor says "Does anybody speak English here?" Winston is able to provide a layman's explanation. I think that dynamic works well for training a new team.
Damnit. I'm sold. Winston and Ray training recruits at the start of the next film, with a training montage of trainees accidentally blowing shit up in a Hogan's Alley scenario. It's easy to imagine the response from the two seasoned Ghostbusters watching the melee.

Ghostytheghost liked this
Has anyone read the reviews for Halloween Kills that interestingly seem to hate the mere existence of the film, kind of like some of the Afterlife reviews? This seems like another deep critic/fan divide, but if the fans like it, they'll pay money to see it again, and we'll get more Ghostbusters projects. Then "we" finally win.

I love that the sequel is already being possibly developed. I have no doubt that Dan and Ernie would love to come back as mentors for the new group. I would really like some reference material to GBII though. Anything. If that ends up being my least favorite thing about Afterlife it's still going to be a fantastic film overall.
Hey, if those very few negative critics hate a lack of creativity and seeing the same thing over and over, maybe they should abandon the "Hollywood doesn't come up with anything new" argument they keep regurgitating. Reading that tired old line is like getting cornered at a Bushwick party by a drunk hipster that loved [insert name of IP or band] before it/they sold out.

Like Egon looking into the trap, I couldn't help but watch the leaked third trailer.

Question for those that saw it:
Sav C, pizzarat, mrmichaelt liked this
Well, GB4 isn't ALREADY being developed.

They wrapped filming on Afterlife two years ago, they had all the time to explore ideas for a sequel. Maybe even when writing Afterlife they exchange notes for another chapter.
I remember Jason saying that they were writing Afterlife when he was cutting The Front Runner.
groschopf liked this
Corey91 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 2:19 pmImage

So I stumbled across a lil something today…

*obligatory “everyone can relax, I found the car!” line ;p
We need details! :)

(For those wondering, this is the same Wrecto that was parked on the Sony backlot).
ZedR, deadderek, Sav C liked this
Does anyone have a problem with the idea that Egon just left the GB? And he also just dumped a family too? For me I feel this doesn't sound right to Egon's character throughout the first two films.,So he just ups and leaves his 3 fellow team mates and his child? Sounds like they're doing a massive disservice to the character.

Plus, forget about having the old Peter Venkman,
Last edited by Kingpin on October 16th, 2021, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added spoiler tags
From what I've heard from someone whose seen the film, and from someone who has waited 30 years for a sequel, I don't hold out too much hope. Realistically I'm watching it for the OG's to come back and they really are not there for this film.
Last edited by Kingpin on October 16th, 2021, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added spoiler tags
JonXCTrack wrote:
JohnnyKCups wrote:

And

Welcome aboard! When you are creating a post, at the top there is a button that says "BBcodes." Click on that and a Spoilers tag is one of the options. Type your post between the header and footer and you're good. If you make a mistake, we'll forgive you, and one of the mods will likely correct it for you.
Hey, thank you! I’m excited to be a part of a group of fellow ghostbusters fans. Not a lot in my area, at least none that I know of. I just saw Halloween Kills again, previews definitely had a new scene from the film, where a fire hydrant washes over the wrecto. So excited for this movie.
Dondraper85 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:10 pm From what I've heard from someone whose seen the film, and from someone who has waited 30 years for a sequel, I don't hold out too much hope. Realistically I'm watching it for the OG's to come back and they really are not there for this film.
From what I've heard - the movie is great, and funny, and the new characters are also great and funny. And it was exactly what my buddy (who's seen the film) wanted from the movie. Aren't anecdotes fun!?

On a bit more serious note -- I personally feel like all the people saying that this movie needs to have the original characters in it 50/50 or *most* of the movie are just straight delusional. That was never going to happen, and all that would do is limit the franchise even more. People really need to get over it, and accept it. All I wanted, and all I need, is a new movie - that is funny and entertaining - that acknowledges the original films, and respects them. You can have people facing the paranormal with science and sarcasm without being exactly like the original movie. Hell, I identify more with the cartoon than I do with the movie, and I know the movie *by heart.*

Look at Extreme Ghostbusters -- that series was amazing, I still watch it. Was it perfect? No. But it acknowledged the original 80's series. Egon was a supporting character, but that was GREAT - that's what he should have been doing.

The chance to get a movie with the original four ghostbusters in some kind of form that would be actually entertaining was the 90's (maybe early 00's). That's just the flat out reality of the situation, and come to think of it -- way back when the rumors were saying Ghostbusters 3 would have had Chris Farley and Will Smith as the new team. Would that have been exactly like the 1984 film? Ofcourse not, but it might have been good.

Just come on -- It is 2021, we are getting a Ghostbusters movie that is an actual sequel to the films we love. It doesn't ignore them, it doesn't act like they don't exist, or change everything. It's still the world - but worlds change, and I (at least) am really excited to see what this new world has to offer. And, you know what, my kids are too - they are SO excited to see the movie. My 11-year old daughter wants me to get her a Flightsuit to go to the movie in.

I am damn near 40 years old, I don't need to mash my face against the wall because 71 year old Bill Murray can't/doesn't want to be the main character in a new Ghostbusters movie. That was NEVER going to happen. N-E-V-E-R.

This is what we get - this is our chance to see something, and let this franchise that we all love grow and still be around for another 30 years. Every time I see someone bitching about this or that, and missing the big picture for little things, it just stabs a bit of that kid that used to watch RGB every morning, and wore out the 1984 vhs from watching it too much.

Just for once, people, please -- try to be happy.
Last edited by Kingpin on October 16th, 2021, 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Added spoiler tags
Sav C, robbritton liked this
Someone recently tracked down the exact amount of time the characters were present on screen in the first two movies.

Turns out, the Ghostbusters were in it for 30 minutes more or less. Janine and Louis about 10 minutes.
Slimer and Gozer 1 minute.
And they were the protagonists.

This time I'd expect them to have a Janine/Louis amount of time.

On a totally unrelated note, we just found out that we're having a second child. In this time of new life for my favorite franchise, a new life is expected to come into my world.
And my wife agreed on the name Dana if it's a girl.
robbritton, groschopf, Sav C liked this
Davideverona wrote: October 16th, 2021, 1:06 am Someone recently tracked down the exact amount of time the characters were present on screen in the first two movies.

Turns out, the Ghostbusters were in it for 30 minutes more or less. Janine and Louis about 10 minutes.
Slimer and Gozer 1 minute.
And they were the protagonists.

This time I'd expect them to have a Janine/Louis amount of time.

On a totally unrelated note, we just found out that we're having a second child. In this time of new life for my favorite franchise, a new life is expected to come into my world.
And my wife agreed on the name Dana if it's a girl.
A child?!
deadderek, Davideverona, JohnnyKCups and 2 others liked this
MagicPrime wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:58 pm
Dondraper85 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:10 pm From what I've heard from someone whose seen the film, and from someone who has waited 30 years for a sequel, I don't hold out too much hope. Realistically I'm watching it for the OG's to come back and they really are not there for this film.
From what I've heard - the movie is great, and funny, and the new characters are also great and funny. And it was exactly what my buddy (who's seen the film) wanted from the movie. Aren't anecdotes fun!?

On a bit more serious note -- I personally feel like all the people saying that this movie needs to have the original characters in it 50/50 or *most* of the movie are just straight delusional. That was never going to happen, and all that would do is limit the franchise even more. People really need to get over it, and accept it. All I wanted, and all I need, is a new movie - that is funny and entertaining - that acknowledges the original films, and respects them. You can have people facing the paranormal with science and sarcasm without being exactly like the original movie. Hell, I identify more with the cartoon than I do with the movie, and I know the movie *by heart.*

Look at Extreme Ghostbusters -- that series was amazing, I still watch it. Was it perfect? No. But it acknowledged the original 80's series. Egon was a supporting character, but that was GREAT - that's what he should have been doing.

The chance to get a movie with the original four ghostbusters in some kind of form that would be actually entertaining was the 90's (maybe early 00's). That's just the flat out reality of the situation, and come to think of it -- way back when the rumors were saying Ghostbusters 3 would have had Chris Farley and Will Smith as the new team. Would that have been exactly like the 1984 film? Ofcourse not, but it might have been good.

Just come on -- It is 2021, we are getting a Ghostbusters movie that is an actual sequel to the films we love. It doesn't ignore them, it doesn't act like they don't exist, or change everything. It's still the world - but worlds change, and I (at least) am really excited to see what this new world has to offer. And, you know what, my kids are too - they are SO excited to see the movie. My 11-year old daughter wants me to get her a Flightsuit to go to the movie in.

I am damn near 40 years old, I don't need to mash my face against the wall because 71 year old Bill Murray can't/doesn't want to be the main character in a new Ghostbusters movie. That was NEVER going to happen. N-E-V-E-R.

This is what we get - this is our chance to see something, and let this franchise that we all love grow and still be around for another 30 years. Every time I see someone bitching about this or that, and missing the big picture for little things, it just stabs a bit of that kid that used to watch RGB every morning, and wore out the 1984 vhs from watching it too much.

I really don’t think it’s fair to call people who share a differing opinion delusional. Am I happy we are getting a new movie within the continuity and it’s stayed within the Reitman family? Yes.

But I don’t think it’s delusional to want to spend time with characters you love. There is a very fun and very funny version of this movie that takes place in New York and is about the three busters solving a new case, with help from a couple new younger students. I know because it’s the version of GB3 that exists in my head. I wish I could show it to you.

This idea that the OGB’s needed to be in small cameos is something I can accept. But it is by no means the only way this needed to happen. Jason had a vision and this is that version of his vision. I accept that and can’t wait to see it. Would I have preferred the OGB’s to be front and Center? 100000%. I’ve made it no secret that for me Ghostbusters is about the characters. I wouldn’t make an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford featured heavily as Indy, and I feel similar about Ghostbusters. I know a lot of people here disagree and it’s the concept that excites them. Those people aren’t delusional. That’s just what they personally love about the franchise.

Now Extreme Ghostbusters was a show I loved. More so than RGB. But that was an on going series where I knew I’d still see plenty of Egon and maybe even the original crew. And thankfully those new characters stood on their own.

Should we be happy? Sure. This is an exciting time. But there will always be the sting from the road not travelled. Or what could have been(and im not even talking about the previous iterations of GB3 that were in pre production. I’m just talking about other avenues I’d rather they went on).

Personally I’ve never understood the story obsession with passing the baton onto a new group. I wouldn’t mind some new GB’s. But I still have Venkman & company involved in some way(again where they aren’t glorified cameos). Just look at Bill in 2009. He looked amazing all suited up. Amazing.
BatDan liked this
OK...ive been avoiding spoilers but i dont really think this is much of a spoiler
going to be in it.

for what length of time....for me the more the better, but i have been totally cool with the fact that the focus is on this new younger team.

I keep saying this...you guys want a true Ghostbusters 3? You allready have it, its called Ghostbusters: The video game, and its like 8 hours worth of hanging out and interacting with the original team members.

Is it cannon anymore? I dont really know to be honest...i havent seen afterlife, and considering
im going to say its non cannon, which is fine by me.

All of The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters are non cannon as well, existing in their own universe thats an offshoot of the movies, as are many of the comics...

So to me, if you guys want the OG Team in all their glory, Between the cartoons, the comics, the video games, their is plenty of that.

Is it the same as Bill, Dan, and Ernie on the big screen busting ghost....NO...its not.
I hate to be blunt, even sound cruel alittle, but they had their time in the spotlight. They are all in their late 60's, early 70s! There busting days have come and gone! Its just part of life.

It breaks my heart that Harold Ramis has passed away, but it puts a huge smile on my face knowing this film is not only just a tribute to him, but also the entire plot revolves around Ego and his family and his legacy.
RichardLess wrote: October 16th, 2021, 3:15 am
MagicPrime wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:58 pm

I really don’t think it’s fair to call people who share a differing opinion delusional. Am I happy we are getting a new movie within the continuity and it’s stayed within the Reitman family? Yes.

But I don’t think it’s delusional to want to spend time with characters you love. There is a very fun and very funny version of this movie that takes place in New York and is about the three busters solving a new case, with help from a couple new younger students. I know because it’s the version of GB3 that exists in my head. I wish I could show it to you.

This idea that the OGB’s needed to be in small cameos is something I can accept. But it is by no means the only way this needed to happen. Jason had a vision and this is that version of his vision. I accept that and can’t wait to see it. Would I have preferred the OGB’s to be front and Center? 100000%. I’ve made it no secret that for me Ghostbusters is about the characters. I wouldn’t make an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford featured heavily as Indy, and I feel similar about Ghostbusters. I know a lot of people here disagree and it’s the concept that excites them. Those people aren’t delusional. That’s just what they personally love about the franchise.

Now Extreme Ghostbusters was a show I loved. More so than RGB. But that was an on going series where I knew I’d still see plenty of Egon and maybe even the original crew. And thankfully those new characters stood on their own.

Should we be happy? Sure. This is an exciting time. But there will always be the sting from the road not travelled. Or what could have been(and im not even talking about the previous iterations of GB3 that were in pre production. I’m just talking about other avenues I’d rather they went on).

Personally I’ve never understood the story obsession with passing the baton onto a new group. I wouldn’t mind some new GB’s. But I still have Venkman & company involved in some way(again where they aren’t glorified cameos). Just look at Bill in 2009. He looked amazing all suited up. Amazing.
Nothing ive heard lines up with one another, ive heard so much contradiction its making my head spin. Only common factor is they all reunite for the 3rd act. The reviews block out what leads to that 3rd act, the reviews make it as if the OGs are just dropped in with a magic crane claw. Its weird.

I never expected them to be the stars, but i never expected them to be a throw away cameo/gimmick either.

However, i read one tweet from one of the NYCC/Cinemacon viewers and states Winston gets justice this time around.

If one OG is heavily featured throughout and it takes a while for the others to join, thats good enough for me. Especially if its Winston!

that lines up with Ernie being happy that Winston will be a “complete character” in the film.

Like you Rich, Ghostbusters to me is about those original characters in the vein of Indiana Jones. So to ween them out just seems off.

Not sure why, its not like the OG actors were “one hit wonders” that were in one 80s hit then disappeared. Dan and Bill were famous BEFORE Ghostbusters and went on to other big things. Ernie went onto be a consistently successful character actor. They are screen legends, to underuse their talent, just seems weird to me.

Ive waited 30 years to see them together again (in the flesh on the big screen! Not video game sprites) but ive heard when they come around we wont be disappointed so..fingers crossed.

Not to say im not excited for the film, thats just something i wish they would have considered a bit more.
Proton Props UK

In the uk a prize draw of this kind with only a pa[…]

Uniform Tips

You're going to be going to cons, not hiking up Sn[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]