Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ghost ... l-details/

Part of me thinks a Ghostbusters prequel would be strange, but now that I’m in college, I’m a lot more interested in seeing the Ghostbusters get their undergrads or phds. I can just imagine Peter dragging Ray and Egon away from studying to go to a campus party. Be fun to see what types of students they were.
My concern with a prequel concept is that it would be mostly the "busters" and little-to-no "ghosts".

The encounter at the New York Public Library is their first actual encounter with something otherworldly, up until that point all their knowledge had been theoretical or anecdotal, and without the ghost side of "Ghostbusters" to bulk it up, I don't see how a prequel where they're in college would work. It'd get old pretty quickly if every time they came within inches of a ghost, only for it to slip out of view a second before they see it.

The only way it maybe could work, is if Egon and Ray based their research on a paranormal investigator from, say, the '50s... Or even the '20s, who investigated New York after the city had been stirred up by Shandor's experimentation... The danger of that concept of course, is that you undermine the achievements Egon and Ray made by suggesting someone thought things up before they did, and they just carried on said investigator's work with the technology he never had access to in his own time.
Sav C, deadderek, kind2311 liked this
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely agree with all of your points Kingpin! Before I arrived at college in person, those would have been my concerns with a prequel as well. But now that I’m in college, and maybe this is the Ghostbuster I just had talking (please don’t ask), I’m not terribly interested in the ghost part of ghost busting (as far as a prequel is concerned). I’d be happy seeing Peter, Ray, and Egon getting their psychology, engineering, and physics degrees respectively, let alone their parapsychology degrees. I mean, I want to know how Venkman, a poor scientist who treats science as a dodge or hustle and whose theories are the worst popular tripe, got not one but two degrees. I want to see Egon trying to socialize at the party Venkman dragged him to. I want to see Ray getting super excited about a research paper he just wrote. I want to see Peter slaking through his phd (or maybe Peter was a great student, in which case I want to see what caused him to be so chill). We’re they in the same dorm? Did they live off campus? Things I want to know now that I’m at college haha.
TheBluesmobile liked this
Then that's not a Ghostbusters movie, that's Animal House starring Ray Stantz, Egon Spengler and Peter Venkman.

Don't get me wrong, they'd make for a really interesting dynamic... But Ghostbusters without the ghosts... That idea loses my interest completely.
deadderek, kind2311 liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:15 pm My concern with a prequel concept is that it would be mostly the "busters" and little-to-no "ghosts".

The encounter at the New York Public Library is their first actual encounter with something otherworldly, up until that point all their knowledge had been theoretical or anecdotal, and without the ghost side of "Ghostbusters" to bulk it up, I don't see how a prequel where they're in college would work. It'd get old pretty quickly if every time they came within inches of a ghost, only for it to slip out of view a second before they see it.

The only way it maybe could work, is if Egon and Ray based their research on a paranormal investigator from, say, the '50s... Or even the '20s, who investigated New York after the city had been stirred up by Shandor's experimentation... The danger of that concept of course, is that you undermine the achievements Egon and Ray made by suggesting someone thought things up before they did, and they just carried on said investigator's work with the technology he never had access to in his own time.
Of course you forget Kingpin. Ray was present unexplained undersea mass sponge migration
Ecto24601 wrote: February 5th, 2022, 5:02 am I'd love to see a prequel about J.H. Tobin. The original ghostbuster? How did he gather so much information about spirits of all kind? There's alot of potential if we want to expand the Ghostbusters universe and the lore.
It would be cool if we saw how Tobin went undercover in the Cult Of Gozer.
mrmichaelt liked this
Ecto24601 wrote: February 5th, 2022, 5:02 am I'd love to see a prequel about J.H. Tobin. The original ghostbuster? How did he gather so much information about spirits of all kind? There's alot of potential if we want to expand the Ghostbusters universe and the lore.
Fantastic Ghosts And Where to Find Them
Kingpin, Ecto24601 liked this
I heard about the "Ghostbusters High" idea today via GBNews. Hard No. That's not Ghostbustin' so drop the "Ghostbusters" name from it. I think even then, it is a dumb idea. Dan the last 20 years has bit by bit proven he doesn't understand why people like Ghostbusters (movie). This recent idea might be his worst yet.

If you want to do something different out-of-the-box, dig out the old Ghostbusters script when the GHostbusters were in space and develop that as a animated series. It was far more interesting a idea than having stories about Peter, Ray, and Egon before they were Ghostbusters.
devilmanozzy wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:01 am I heard about the "Ghostbusters High" idea today via GBNews. Hard No. That's not Ghostbustin' so drop the "Ghostbusters" name from it. I think even then, it is a dumb idea. Dan the last 20 years has bit by bit proven he doesn't understand why people like Ghostbusters (movie). This recent idea might be his worst yet.

If you want to do something different out-of-the-box, dig out the old Ghostbusters script when the GHostbusters were in space and develop that as a animated series. It was far more interesting a idea than having stories about Peter, Ray, and Egon before they were Ghostbusters.
Dan’s always needed his creative spirit harnessed & aimed by someone like Ivan & Harold or John Landis. Sometimes I’m convinced Ghostbusters needs each of those 3 guys involved for the project to work. It’s like each of them brings something major to the table and it couldn’t be done without all 3 of them. Based on the two movies we’ve had without their direct involvement? It’s hard to get Ghostbusters right.

What I love is that Dan is writing Ghostbusters stuff on spec. I’d love to read a book from him on this subject. I’m not sure a movie or series is interesting, but a book?
Kingpin liked this

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London