Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
timeware wrote: November 27th, 2021, 6:40 pm An article on the news feed is saying they had plans for bringing back Vigo. No please. Jason, you gave us a wonderful movie but this is just...No, I do not want another Ghostbusters II. Vigo's done. Let the CGI Egon be a one time thing of bringing actors back from the grave.

I liked Vigo, but it's time to go in a fresh direction.

It's time to bring in Sam Hain, or the Boogie Man. I mean it's the perfect set up to bring in the BoogieMan. Egon just died, and his grand daughter could be having nightmares of Gozer coming back that draws him out. I think the next villain needs to be a fresh take at a hundred percent, or a villain from the comics or cartoons that would make Gozer look like a walk through the park.
So your solution to not using villains we've seen before is to use villains that we've seen before?

I'm kidding, but I never understood the longing for any of those RGB characters to make it to live action. I didn't see those two episodes as a child, because I don't think they screened in the UK, so first saw them as an adult. I get that they were probably creepy when you were little, but they're kind of dull as villains go. Give me the Knock Knock door conceit any day!

Really I'd love to see something totally new. Even Rowan was a reference to the RGB credits - give me a mad outpouring of imagination and let me not know where everything is going one more time!
Corey91 liked this
The whole Egon tased himself theory just doesn't sit right with me.
I find it much more believable that his intention was to use the PKE on the spectral terror dog and simply had a heart attack when the manifested arms grabbed him.
He was already in an extremely high stress situation on the lead up to that point, especially for someone of such an advanced age.

Besides, the PKE's arc seems to be a miniaturised proton stream.
I'm not sure it would have the same effect on a living person that a standard electrical taser arc would.
If the mini pufts reaction to it is true of all ghosts it seems to have the effect of dissipating them which seems to be what Egon had planned for the terror dog.
Given what we've seen from proton streams coming into contact with objects, it'd most likely just burn a person.

SpaceBallz liked this
robbritton wrote: So your solution to not using villains we've seen before is to use villains that we've seen before?

I'm kidding, but I never understood the longing for any of those RGB characters to make it to live action. I didn't see those two episodes as a child, because I don't think they screened in the UK, so first saw them as an adult. I get that they were probably creepy when you were little, but they're kind of dull as villains go. Give me the Knock Knock door conceit any day!

Really I'd love to see something totally new. Even Rowan was a reference to the RGB credits - give me a mad outpouring of imagination and let me not know where everything is going one more time!
Agree with this even though I'd be happy with some nods to RGB similar to the Bug Eyed Ghost... I think the actual villains Boogieman, Sam Hain, Sandman would need to be totally reworked for live action, but the premises themselves could work eg... a doomsday door, dimensional gates appearing homes /closets to release demons, spirits or kidnap people... that sort of thing could form the backbone of a new movie. We need a fresh villain though.
robbritton liked this
Just a headsup: the scalpers are out scooping up all the Phoebe/Egon packs from Target.

Such a dumb damn decision to make this a retailer exclusive.
mrmichaelt liked this
deadderek wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:58 am Just a headsup: the scalpers are out scooping up all the Phoebe/Egon packs from Target.

Yup, got to my local Target right at 8:00 this morning. There was a space on the shelf labeled for them, but not a single one there.

Nothing on Target's website either, no plasma series anything. Even though in the store, they had 3 or 4 new Venkmans in stock.

I really dislike Target exclusives.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
Never noticed that in the gozer temple along with the 4 wands theres a variation of a pke meter with more bulky arms taking readings from the well, as soon as the souls get pushed back to a certain point it folds its arms in and the wands deactivate. So that explains how the wands are triggered and turned off at least. Bootleg version offering some insights. :oops:

Image#

Wonder how long before this gets replicated, the arms are substantially larger on this version than the standard ones, hopefully the official release gives a better look at it.
Not sure id wanna see Vigo comeback..even though hes one of my favorite movie villains ever, id rather we not keep going back to the well..how ever expanding on the River of Slime in the movie-verse would be kinda cool, or just expanding on the Vigo-lore..his history suggests he was a powerful Vlad the Impaler level tyrant and warlock, he had to have had apprentices and minions to do his biddings.

But maybe we dont even need a “central” psychic force..what if someones house has a dark opening for dark spirits? I always wanted to see something as simple a House call.

so far weve had world dominating evil forces, inter dimensional demon gods, etc.

One thing we havent really seen yet is..a suburban setting.

Something like a poltergeist 82 or amityville 79 type paranormal threat.

Pissed off spirits in a regular household. It be funny to see the GBs do some damage to some familys house by the end.
THawke wrote: November 28th, 2021, 8:28 am
deadderek wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:58 am Just a headsup: the scalpers are out scooping up all the Phoebe/Egon packs from Target.

Yup, got to my local Target right at 8:00 this morning. There was a space on the shelf labeled for them, but not a single one there.

Nothing on Target's website either, no plasma series anything. Even though in the store, they had 3 or 4 new Venkmans in stock.

I really dislike Target exclusives.
What is the retail price for this pack?
Folks on reddit said they had to give the DPCI number to the Target staff and got them from the back as none were on the shelf yet. Really curious to see how it will be distributed in Europe/Germany. Our toy stores have zero Ghostbusters stuff. Only the specialized collectors stores carry them. I am forced to order my Plasma series figures on amazon, and I can only do it piecemeal as the prices differ vastly and change so quickly. :evil:
I get that they went back to the original and brought back things we loved to reinvigorate the franchise again and give closure to the original team, but I REALLY don't want another GB2 redux with Vigo. I would be 100% content if they went with a stand-alone story that's not apocalyptic and I really think they should go almost completely horror themed with maybe an occasional comedic relief line. They'll never be able to copy the original formula from the original and I hope they try something different.

Also, once again - Egon did not kill himself with his PKE taser. He was being pinned down by Zuul's ghoul arms unless he tased his leg, and I'm not an engineer but I'm pretty sure sticking yourself with a static taser in the leg isn't fatal.
starang11 liked this
timeware wrote:We are so getting a sequel.

Oh eventually without a doubt. Especailly since to my knowlege there is no longer any vito rights if any of the holders don't like a script.

I think it would be an awsome idea to dust off those projects that got shelved. The Animated Movie and Ecto Force. Given that Afterlife is doing even better than anticipated I'd say there will probably be even more coming from Ghost Corps in the future.

Afterlife left me extremely satisfied. In my heart I don't think anything that follows is going to be as good as Afterlife. Of course I felt the same way about the video game and the IDW ongoing comic followed that so I could be pleasently suprised by what follows. I look forward to seeing what happens. :):):)
I don't get the silly obsession with Oscar.

He doesn't need to be involved at all.
philmorgan81 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:01 pm
timeware wrote:We are so getting a sequel.

Oh eventually without a doubt. Especailly since to my knowlege there is no longer any vito rights if any of the holders don't like a script.

I think it would be an awsome idea to dust off those projects that got shelved. The Animated Movie and Ecto Force. Given that Afterlife is doing even better than anticipated I'd say there will probably be even more coming from Ghost Corps in the future.

Afterlife left me extremely satisfied. In my heart I don't think anything that follows is going to be as good as Afterlife. Of course I felt the same way about the video game and the IDW ongoing comic followed that so I could be pleasently suprised by what follows. I look forward to seeing what happens. :):):)
With the right worldbuilding (even in a multiverse setting; IDW GB already demonstrated that), character development, and careful planning, anything goes, at this point; i'm very, very hungry for some fresh brand new GB lore, no matter what's coming. ^_^
mrmichaelt liked this
deadderek wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:26 pm I don't get the silly obsession with Oscar.

He doesn't need to be involved at all.
Yes, please let's not Star Wars this thing.
deadderek liked this
I don't get the opposition to the character. He may not be related to Venkman at all but they could have a running joke similar to who Cartman's real father was minus the morbid outcome of that whole thing.

He would be younger then Rudd and pretty much a blank slate. You don't have to involve the original actor and he could serve as a mentor to the Jr's. It's a way to involve Venkman without having to deal with Bill. If Jason dives into the Vigo well again Oscar's return may be inevtable even if he hasn't pursued the career of a Ghostbuster.

As I have said many times before this would be a good option of starting the sequel with a whole other franchise if Afterlife indeed becomes the final chapter. (i'm counting on a sequel, this would be a good point to start with a new team.)
Prime 1986 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:39 am I think it's 48.99 and some scalpers are selling them for 4x that amount :sigh:
joezlo wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:22 pm Should we start a new thread where the Jason interviews about GBA sequel thoughts should go?

Not only did I hear about his Vigo comment, but I'm more intrigued by his comments about a plot for Ecto -1A... ... Oscar related?
There's a "Ghostbusters 4" thread I started in General Discussion. That can be used for sequel thoughts.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48427&p=4957358
deadderek liked this
I had watched the film the first time on Monday the 22nd, so I have been thinking about it a lot. I have debated if I'd say anything in public about it, as my feelings are mixed and swing between good and bad day to day. But anyways...

The first 1 hour and 40 minutes to me had two issues, minor ones to me really, that is too many references to GB1, with some being embarrassingly trying too hard, and there was a slow pace to it. I have no big issues.

Then the Original Ghostbusters show up, and pretty much derail the film. I have no problem with them being there, but they didn't add much the overall film. It felt like they forgot much of the elements they were developing over the film. Egon showing up was the only part of that I really liked, and it was something of a payoff to the rest of the film, but I think they cut some things in the film that they should have spent more time on. Other than Phoebe, the other three kids pretty much get very little screen time. Trevor barely mattered and could have been dropped and it would have affected very little. Lucky was never developed, and really came out of nowhere knowing how to fire a proton pack and had a clear idea to what was going on. Something is missing there. Podcast pretty much had zero given about him, including ... where are his parents?! He may be a crazy kid, but wouldn't his parents be asking where he is and such. Especially the whole jail thing.

The two credits scenes didn't do much for me. But Winston taking over the Ghostbusters firehouse and stuff like that... huh? Again, Winston was not in the majority of the film, Phoebe was. What's her story? What happened to Callie afterwards? What about the farm house and the "Ghostbusters family" thing? Did Gary and Callie become a item? The movie left all this stuff open with no resolution, but instead we hear about Winston a character on screen for like five minutes and we get more about his future than all the actual stars of the film.

I sure hope there are some extended scenes or atleast deleted scenes to watch when It gets released for home viewing.
I really liked Winston reaction when he sees Egon’s ghost, the surprised look on his face was hilarious and realistic at the same time, also when he pats Venkman with his elbow Venkman turn his head two times to look at Egon without any surprise on his face classic Venkman, I love that scene
Oh, I certainly wouldn't mind a minor reappearance of Viggy in a future sequel (NOT the next one), but he shouldn't be a main threat again. Having his painting around and him saying some snide things (like the game) or maybe during the midst of a crisis, he manages to escape the painting but is quickly recaptured in a minor action sequence (like the IDW comics) would be fine. But no more than that, if at all.
jimmyjokerz wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:46 pm I really enjoyed it, but a few things to nitpick

I know phoebe called ray to talk to him about what Elgin had planned, but I would have liked a little back story of the older ghostbusters getting back together instead of just showing up in a field - didn’t everyone think that was just a bit random, that they just……showed up?

So what Easter eggs did we see?

I picked out symmetrical book stacking, phoebe shining the headlight in her mum’s eyes like who did to Peter. Obviously all original music was in there. The marshmallow covered podcast. Just to name a few

Moderator note: Posts merged

Yeah, I would’ve liked to seen more of Ray getting the guys back together, even if it was just him making calls to them.

As for Easter eggs, this one might be a stretch. In the first movie, when Egon meets Vinz, Janine told Egon that she had a premonition that he was going to die. Fast forward 37 years, and Egon actually does die in the presence of Vinz, who was either the one that was trapped or was the one that was chasing Egon.
Last edited by Svaughan41 on November 28th, 2021, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:19 pm Estimates were $88.5 in week 2 but the total after this weekend is actually $115.8 million!
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/11/28 ... d-weekend/
Brain dead critics can complain all they want, but it's obvious by now Afterlife is what fans wanted all these years.

A proper passing of the torch film made with heart.
Hey everyone. Forgive me. This might be a long ass post. Screw “might”. This is going to be a long post.

I managed to see the movie finally. On an iPad. In a hospital bed lol. Luckily I’m friends with Jack Sparrow. Normally I do not condone Jack Sparrow’s line of work so I actually ended up buying two tickets online to make myself feel like I paid for it. But I just knew I’m not seeing this movie in theatres and my god I’ve waited so long. So forgive me. Mea culpa. I still feel incredibly guilty.

As for the movie? Wow. Where to begin?

I have so many issues with the movie that I wanna talk about and the first one is Dan Aykroyd. He really dials it up to 11 doesn’t he? But then just after you are questioning the oddness & forcefulness of his line readings, he breaks your heart with a beautiful “I’m sorry I didn’t believe you”. Holy crap did that get me. But Dan, my man. Dial it down a bit. Ray is played very broad here. I didn’t care for him repeating the “cease and desist” bit or adding flourishes like “Fish & gaming”. I cringed a bit. But the real issue I have is…Ray & Egon.

Here’s the thing. For me I’ve always loved the Egon/Ray dynamic. Ghostbusters and the paranormal was everything for these two. They slept at the firehouse, worked 24/7. They didn’t have a social life outside of Ghostbusting and science.

Ray would never in a thousand years not believe Egon knew what he was talking about. Boy I had a hard time with that. “Egon Spengler can rot in hell” is…a choice. Wouldn’t the opposite situation be more likely? That Ray had the dooms day predictions and no one believed him? Would fit in with his “huh, what I tell ya? Wasn’t lying was I?” line in GB2 and him always taking blame for things going wrong “sorry! My fault!”. Anyways..

I’m someone who really loves the small details that tie a story together and while I loved the mini pufts…they make literally no sense at all. They had the perfect set up for them too. Egon could’ve kept stay Puft samples from 1984 and when things start going bad…bam. Mini pufts. Them just coming out of a bag?? What? Why?

So. I have all these issues with the movie. And yet…I loved it. I mean I LOVED IT. I’m sorry if I’m breaking any rules by bringing up the previous GB film but the reason I can forgive the problems GBA has over the problems of GB16 is tone. Man Jason nailed the tone of what a Ghostbusters movie is. This isn’t a silly world where characters know they are in a comedy. It’s real. Characters behave and say things like real people. The comedy isn’t broad( a few Dan Aykroyd line readings notwithstanding).

From the opening scene I knew I was in good hands. When the fog pours out of that chimney? And the sound? And it slowly rises up…oh boy. Just like the first two films there are no jokes played in the opening. It’s played straight, scary and it works wonderfully.

The new cast? Can we just talk bout Logan Kim/Podcast for a minute. This kid has charisma to spare. The camera LOVES him. I loved loved loved LOVED every minute he and Phoebe were on screen together. I was reminded of Ray/Egon immediately.

Carrie Coon is a goddess. The chemistry between her and Paul Rudd is off the charts. Boy do I want to see Paul Rudd with a proton pack on his back.

Let’s give a round of applause for practical effects everybody. The terror dogs looked great. The proton beams looked much better than the purple hue they had in the trailers.

This going on a bit long so I’ll mention one more thing(maybe two). When the guys show up. I would’ve loved a bit more of a badass western feel like Ivan had in his framing of the GBs as a group. I would’ve liked them spaced out more in a nice dolly in wide shot. I’m just thinking of how I would’ve liked that moment to go and I would liked to have seen them draw their neutrona wands in a medium shot on the neutrona wand and bam, Ray draws his, camera dollies back, Venkman draws his, camera Dollie’s back, and finally Winston draws his. We don’t see their faces. Not yet. Just the wands leaving the V Hook in sequence. And then we do a big wide, low angle, master push in on the 3 GB’s as the music swells triumphantly. Kind of like how the 5 minute pilot episode of Real Ghostbusters ends

I gotta say. I didn’t care for the score. I would’ve died and gone to heaven(ok maybe a bad thing to say given recent events) if Jason had snuck in Randy Edelman’s big heroic theme for when the GB’s show up. Maybe in a fan edit.

I have a million and one other things from this movie I’d like talk about. But I’ve rambled on long enough.

PS. Thanks again everyone for the well wishes & love. Those messages that you took time out of your day to write just made my family feel the love of this fanbase. From the bottom of my heart I thank you. That Ivo Shandor user may not want to be a GB Fan here anymore, but I sure do(what an odd post of his that was).

Cheers!
deadderek, robbritton, BatDan and 8 others liked this

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]