Discuss the upcoming movie to be released in 2020 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Saving the world or not, why did they choose to have him abandon his family and cut off all contact? He couldn't call them and tell them why he couldn't leave Summerville? What am I missing here?
This Post Contains Spoilers
Sav C liked this
We know nothing about Egon, Peter, or Ray prior to Venkman electrocuting students in GB1. We don't even know if Egon MENTIONED his family to Ray and Peter as Ray seemed legitimately shocked when Phoebe said she was his granddaughter.

We know Callie was born in 1983 and that Egon DID keep tabs on her through her life OR he reached out to her mother for information about Callie after things fell apart with the Ghostbusters to have some kind of connection to SOMETHING after starting his one man crusade against Gozer in Summerville.

This is me just grasping at theories with the information we're given in the movie. Now, unless this info is cleared up in some official media or a sequel, we may never know what the hell happened to the Spengler marriage.
I think it actually makes a lot of sense and adds depth to the character of Egon.

In all of GB1 and GB2 he is a reclusive character. Yeah he is nerdy and everything but it’s like there’s more to him than that. He seems like he is hiding something as well. He is never relaxed. He never smiles. It’s always like he is in a state of urgency. I’ve met people like that, who have kids they don’t tell you about. They have this sense of urgency or seriousness that is hard to explain.

How distant he acts with Janine in GB1, even though she shows interest. In fact, he may not even know he has a child, but he may have a question mark in his head.

To me it was probably with his first sweetheart, maybe she tricked him….. something that went bad, which is why he became even more of a nerd and shut out all women. His significant other tricking him to have kids without him knowing would make sense with Callie’s character being rebellious. Her mother (Egon’s spouse) would probably be even worse than she is in terms of being a handful. And turn Egon completely off from relationships.
By Paco
One time wrote:I think it actually makes a lot of sense and adds depth to the character of Egon.

In all of GB1 and GB2 he is a reclusive character. Yeah he is nerdy and everything but it’s like there’s more to him than that. He seems like he is hiding something as well. He is never relaxed. He never smiles. It’s always like he is in a state of urgency. I’ve met people like that, who have kids they don’t tell you about. They have this sense of urgency or seriousness that is hard to explain.

How distant he acts with Janine in GB1, even though she shows interest. In fact, he may not even know he has a child, but he may have a question mark in his head.

To me it was probably with his first sweetheart, maybe she tricked him….. something that went bad, which is why he became even more of a nerd and shut out all women. His significant other tricking him to have kids without him knowing would make sense with Callie’s character being rebellious. Her mother (Egon’s spouse) would probably be even worse than she is in terms of being a handful. And turn Egon completely off from relationships.
that kind of logic makes sense, at least to egon. its been suggested that spengler might have been on the spectrum given his narrow-mindedness and the fact that he once tried to perform trepanation on himself. perhaps the biggest clue would be the fact that he had to rely on financial assistance from Janine to keep his work at the farmhouse going rather than just getting a job. A man with his credentials could have easily gotten a juicy defense contractor gig or a major university. While people are quick to point out his past as a pariah from the New York events, times do change as do moods.
We really don't know what happened, which may be part of the issue. We really only know that Callie says he abandoned her and she didn't know him. Maybe, as was suggested, he didn't even know Callie existed and found out too late. When he found out he had a daughter, she was already grown and he didn't know how to deal with the situation.

What I wish they had spent more time on was the dissolution of his relationship with Ray and the others. Reitman claims that GB2 was still canon, from what I understand, but it seems like they erased those events from this movie's lore based on what Ray said. Ray says that Egon started talking about the end of the world and stole all the equipment, but that just doesn't make sense the way it was explained. They needed to spend a little more time on that.

Why would Ray not believe him? Why would Egon be the conspiracy nut instead of Ray? Why wouldn't Egon have shown evidence? I can get Ray being upset that Egon was driving customers away and effectively shut them down, but I really would like to know why Egon went obsessive and why no one believed him of all people, especially after what they had been through. A few more lines would have been nice explaining this.
Q-man liked this
These are the bigger things overall we as fans have to "deal with" the guys are normal guys. They've been successful, bankrupt, in relationships, separated.

Peter asks Phoebe what Callie's name is. He may have known Egon had a daughter but didn't know anything else. Spengler did not seem the "lets sit down and talk about families" guy. Winston has kids by Afterlife and we don't know anything else there. Peter and Dana are married but we don't know what Oscar's up to or if they have children together. It wasn't needed to tell the afterlife story. I'm hoping future projects will get into that more. I'd love the 3 guys to come back running the business and it's franchise offices in future projects. Gives time to get into each of the guys families the way afterlife did with Egon. Maybe we'll learn why he wasn't in Callie's life, who was her mom, who was her Ex. Where are Winston's family?, does Ray have one? Plenty of info for the original guys to talk about
Last edited by RealGhostbusterJay on December 5th, 2021, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin liked this
kind2311 wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:03 pm
Saving the world or not, why did they choose to have him abandon his family and cut off all contact? He couldn't call them and tell them why he couldn't leave Summerville? What am I missing here?
This Post Contains Spoilers
I'm reminded of Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. "I did what you wanted. I stayed away." It might've been a situation between Egon and his Daughter's Mother. Happens all the time.
I have a co-worker. Let's call him Steven.

Steven dated this girl, Nancy for a little while. Nancy got pregnant. Steven said he would support her, no matter what. Nancy went kind of crazy, claimed she got an abortion, and moved from the U.S. New England area to the West Coast. Three years later, Nancy was back in town, visiting family. Steven's friend saw her with a little girl, who looked to be about three years old. Steven found Nancy's facebook profile and saw the little girl for himself. A spitting image of Steven. He made attempts to get in touch with Nancy to inquire about paternity, and Nancy would not speak with him.

Steven then got the courts involved and a paternity test was ordered. Nancy fled. Steven had to hire a private investigator to track her down. Nancy had moved again to the Carolinas. Eventually Nancy had to submit to a paternity test, and Steven was in fact the father.

I mention this because crazy things can happen. Maybe Egon had a one night stand and never heard from the woman again. Egon then had to watch from afar because his fling did not want him in her life for whatever reason. It seems out of character for Egon, but then again, he did sleep with mood slime.
mrmichaelt, elussya liked this
The thing I'm not keen on is that a lot of the speculation revolves around one of Callie's parents having to be the "villain". I prefer the option that maintains the canon of the movie without resulting in vilifying either parent:

Egon and Callie's mother reached a mutual and amiable agreement: that Egon would provide financial support from afar, and Callie's mother would send him updates on how Callie was doing, but due to the nature of his work/relationship he wouldn't have an active role in her life.

I imagine for a while Egon was satisfied with this arrangement, but as he got older and saw whatever he saw in regards to the other Ghostbusters' families before he left for Summerville, he started to reevaluate his position, even regret it.

I'd go with Callie's mother either being a peer of Egon's when he was an academic or student at Columbia, rather than one of his students. I don't see Egon being unprofessional and sleeping with his students like Venkman tried to.
mrmichaelt, LT86 liked this
That's pretty reasonable. He got the photos from somewhere. I believe he did also send financial assistance for the family when he could. Because Callie is not a science liking person I don't think the mom was a science peer but likely a teacher or some sort of academic. Perhaps Egon didn't want to interfere with the way she was being raised and Callie again was raised to know who her father was and what he did however him feeling he was staying away for her benefit became resentment on her end as uncaring.

To be honest I had stayed spoiler free sorta hoping Phoebe would just test the pack and do the gunner seat scene but eventually Grooberson and Callie would throw the suits on and work with the OG's on the climax while the kids assisted with the RTV trap etc. Ahh well.
Kingpin liked this
I think it is easy to think there was some sort of Egon and Callie's mom because of the strong negative reaction we get from her in the movie.

However we see the wall of photos so I am hoping that there was some sort of communications between Egon and the mom.

One can also explain the negative reaction from Callie due to her situation of having just been evicted and having no money. She could be directing that anger towards Egon.

What about this one? Edit: this is not my design[…]

Clear Dome Ideas

I’m currently working on mine and I used the[…]

LOL! I may have brought this up before and I enjo[…]

I've never purchased a film digitally, but I wo[…]