Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By RedSpecial
No files that I know of so far.

I won't be adding it to my current pack as it'd seem out of place but if i ever build a Phoebe pack I 100% will.
The sounds compliment the run down look of that pack perfectly.
Although I'm really looking forward to hearing what everyone else does with it
By ecto88mph
RedSpecial wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 12:10 pm I've isolated the audio for the pack and thrower power up sequences but someone more savvy than me would need to remove the extraneous audio.
Wow thanks for that. I have a hour long loop of the pack hum and I put this in front of it, it sounds great.
RedSpecial, SpaceBallz liked this
By Makuta
MagicPrime wrote: October 26th, 2021, 1:08 pm I can't wait to start seeing fan builds or revisions/upgrades with spinning LEDs inside the cyclotron.
ive been seeing some people doing this, but i would love to see something like this that is compatible with the GBfans electronic kits, something that can change color to TVG colors too.
Jimsy33 liked this
By Gucabe
I made my first proton pack recently and since I saw that afterlife clip I wanted to add the cyclotron effect. I used an arduino and some neopixels, did the code and programmed it. I took the sound from the clip and spliced it. Use a sound board from adafruit and voila.

This is before the sound
https://youtube.com/shorts/aNqlDHqQijk?feature=share

This is with the sound added.
https://youtube.com/shorts/dm_V6knCYcM?feature=share
By Makuta
Gucabe wrote: November 9th, 2021, 7:10 am I made my first proton pack recently and since I saw that afterlife clip I wanted to add the cyclotron effect. I used an arduino and some neopixels, did the code and programmed it. I took the sound from the clip and spliced it. Use a sound board from adafruit and voila.

This is before the sound

that looks amazing, best looking one I've seen so far, even when going fast it looks like its spinning instead of just flashing.

i look RedSpecial's sounds and put in onto a copied file of the GBfans mini SD card sounds.
i replaced it with track 10 "010 protongun_powerup".
sounds great but the lights dont begin to cycle until the idle hum sounds begin, not really sure if there is any way to fix this by maybe editing a different sound file.
here is a video of activation sound vs lights:

Last edited by Kingpin on November 9th, 2021, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
kahuna900, Gucabe, Jimsy33 liked this
By Jimsy33
Makuta wrote: November 9th, 2021, 4:52 pm
Gucabe wrote: November 9th, 2021, 7:10 am I made my first proton pack recently and since I saw that afterlife clip I wanted to add the cyclotron effect. I used an arduino and some neopixels, did the code and programmed it. I took the sound from the clip and spliced it. Use a sound board from adafruit and voila.

This is before the sound

that looks amazing, best looking one I've seen so far, even when going fast it looks like its spinning instead of just flashing.

i look RedSpecial's sounds and put in onto a copied file of the GBfans mini SD card sounds.
i replaced it with track 10 "010 protongun_powerup".
sounds great but the lights dont begin to cycle until the idle hum sounds begin, not really sure if there is any way to fix this by maybe editing a different sound file.
here is a video of activation sound vs lights:

Turn the potentiometer on the powercell board to change the animation to movie mode, that way there is no "power up" animation and it directly cycles. It's in the instructions.
By Makuta
i see, i usually leave my pack in TVG mode since that is what my pack emulates more (and switching between sound/color modes is fun).

maybe this sound effect just isn't in the cards for my pack.
By Jimsy33
Makuta wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:51 pm i see, i usually leave my pack in TVG mode since that is what my pack emulates more (and switching between sound/color modes is fun).

maybe this sound effect just isn't in the cards for my pack.
Disabling the "Power up" animation won't affect the video game mode, you'll still be able to switch between the firing modes and colours. It's just that the cyclotron will directly cycle instead of fading on, and the lights will snap on and off instead of fadind like in the video game. That way there is no delay when you turn the pack on, it directly cycles.
By dantonvfx

This is before the sound

That is amazing!!!!! Could you share a tutorial or something about how you did it? I would like to add this sound and light effect to the Spirit Pack, I have the Ghostlab light kit, but no soundboard.... I was going to order the GBFans sound board but did not yet... Maybe its because I was waiting for this moment!!!!

I'm really bad with arduino, so I wonde rif you can do a detailed explanation or tutorial, or if you would do comision?

I've been investigating a bit, the Audio output seems pretty straight forward, it has a Line out, so you cna connect a speaker thru it. I wonder if ther eis any way to wire your own speakers, in case you want to have 2 speakers for example? Is there a limitation about Speakers Wats? I also wonder, how do you connect the soundboard with the lights to activate both wiht the same switch?

Cheers
gamera1968, Gucabe, Merrimon liked this
By Gucabe
dantonvfx wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:40 am

This is before the sound

That is amazing!!!!! Could you share a tutorial or something about how you did it? I would like to add this sound and light effect to the Spirit Pack, I have the Ghostlab light kit, but no soundboard.... I was going to order the GBFans sound board but did not yet... Maybe its because I was waiting for this moment!!!!

I'm really bad with arduino, so I wonde rif you can do a detailed explanation or tutorial, or if you would do comision?

I've been investigating a bit, the Audio output seems pretty straight forward, it has a Line out, so you cna connect a speaker thru it. I wonder if ther eis any way to wire your own speakers, in case you want to have 2 speakers for example? Is there a limitation about Speakers Wats? I also wonder, how do you connect the soundboard with the lights to activate both wiht the same switch?

Cheers
Sure thing Ill post what I did to mine, just let me clean up the code and work out some diagrams and a part list. I have made some improvements since that video, mostly cleaning up the audio a bit more and trying to sync it better.
CaptainAssholay liked this
By dantonvfx
Gucabe wrote: November 25th, 2021, 1:22 pm
dantonvfx wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:40 am

Cheers
Sure thing Ill post what I did to mine, just let me clean up the code and work out some diagrams and a part list. I have made some improvements since that video, mostly cleaning up the audio a bit more and trying to sync it better.
YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

YOU ARE SAVING ME! Really!!! I was going to order the GBFans SoundBoard, but I was not all in due to having to wait until March to recieve it :(

If you could tell me what components do I need to buy I will start buying them right away so I have all ready for when you are :D

Cheers!!!
By Gucabe
dantonvfx wrote: November 25th, 2021, 3:37 pm
Gucabe wrote: November 25th, 2021, 1:22 pm
YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

YOU ARE SAVING ME! Really!!! I was going to order the GBFans SoundBoard, but I was not all in due to having to wait until March to recieve it :(

If you could tell me what components do I need to buy I will start buying them right away so I have all ready for when you are :D

Cheers!!!
Ok so I am still tweaking the code so the sound is better synked with the lighting effect. I also cleaned up the sound file and removed several hissing sounds that made the whole thing anoying. Had to remove several frequencies making the sound duller but I added some after effects and bumed the trebble up and i think it sounds cleaner and crisper now.

Part list:
2 - Arduino pro mini, UNO or similar
2 - 1x8 neopixel stick
1 - Neopixel ring at least 30 pixels or a neopixel strip
1 - 16MB Adafruit fx board

So the wiring diagram is as follows:

The reson I used 2 arduinos is that makes the code much much simpler. Neopixels are not as fast as standard LED's so its tricky to do the power cell and cyclotron sequences at the same time. It's beyond my coding skill. The other reason is that I plan to modify the power cell circuit and add 4 neopixels to the cyclotron and a switch to select between the 84 and 21 sequence. I have not implemented that, but the powercell code is already written to work with the 84 sequence. So if you add those 4 extra neopixels you can have the 84 lights with just 1 arduino.

For the powercell:
//------Gusbuster 1984------
//Designed by: Gus Canales
//Date:11/17/2021
//Last update: 11/17/2021
//Designed using an Arduino pro mini, 2 neopixel sticks (1x8) for the power cell
//and 4 neopixel buttons (1,2,3,4 or 7 pixels each). Set CTPIX to match your button
//Wire the 2 1x8 sticks in series and then daisy chain the 4 buttons from the last 1x8 stick.
//The order is important.
//If you want to have the 2021 cyclotron version use another arduino con a nepixel ring
//Use my code Gusbuster2021
//Enjoy Ghostbusting

#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>
#define PIN 4
#define CELLPIX 16 //Set it at 16. Powercell uses 15 pixels only so the first one is ignored
#define CTPIX 1 // how many pixels per cyclotron button? (1,2,3,4,7)
int PIXELS = CELLPIX+CTPIX*4; // Total Pixels
int CTPOWER = 10; //0-255 (lowest to highest) brightness
int CELLPOWER = 10; //0-255 (lowest to highest) brightness
int SPEED = 2; //0 - 4 (lowest to highest)
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(PIXELS, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

void setup() {
strip.begin();
strip.show(); // Initialize all pixels to 'off'
}

void loop() {
for (int a=0;a<CTPIX*4;a=a+CTPIX){
colorWipe(strip.Color(0, 0, CELLPOWER), 50-SPEED*10); // Blue
if(a>0) //Clear the trailing ct
for (int c=0;c<CTPIX;c++){
strip.setPixelColor(a+CELLPIX-CTPIX+c, strip.Color(0, 0, 0));
strip.show();
}
if(a<1) //clear the last ct
strip.setPixelColor(PIXELS-CTPIX+c, strip.Color(0, 0, 0));
strip.show();
}
strip.show();

for (int b=0;b<CTPOWER;b=b+CTPOWER/10){ //cyclotron leds fade
strip.setPixelColor(a+CELLPIX+c, strip.Color(b, 0, 0));
strip.show();
}
delay(50-SPEED*10);
}

colorWipe(strip.Color(0, 0, 0), 0); // Black
}
}

// Fill the dots one after the other with a color
void colorWipe(uint32_t c, uint8_t wait) {
for(uint16_t i=1; i<strip.numPixels()-CTPIX*4; i++) {//added 4 last pixels as a cyclotron
strip.setPixelColor(i, c);
strip.show();
delay(wait);
}
}

For the Afterlife Cyclotron:
//------Gusbuster 2021------
//Designed by: Gus Canales
//Date:11/17/2021
//Last update: 11/29/2021
//Designed using an Arduino pro mini, 1 neopixel strip or ring (30 pixels long)for the cyclotron
//you also need an Adafruit fx board, get the 16 meg.
//For the power cell use my code Gusbuster 1984 and use 2 neopixel sticks 1x8
//Enjoy Ghostbusting

#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>
#define PIN 4

int pixels = 29;
int luz = 3;
float intensity = 0;
int Speed = 45; //milisecond delay
int loops=100;
int hold=40;
int ramp = 0;
int r = 100;
int x=1;
int y=1;
// Triggers
const int tgr1 = 5; //Start
const int tgr2 = 6; //fast hum
const int tgr3 = 7; //ramp down
const int tgr4 = 8; //slow hum
const int tgr5 = 9; //ramp up
const int box = 2;

// Parameter 1 = number of pixels in strip
// Parameter 2 = pin number (most are valid)
// Parameter 3 = pixel type flags, add together as needed:
// NEO_KHZ800 800 KHz bitstream (most NeoPixel products w/WS2812 LEDs)
// NEO_KHZ400 400 KHz (classic 'v1' (not v2) FLORA pixels, WS2811 drivers)
// NEO_GRB Pixels are wired for GRB bitstream (most NeoPixel products)
// NEO_RGB Pixels are wired for RGB bitstream (v1 FLORA pixels, not v2)
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(pixels, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

void setup() {
strip.begin();
strip.show(); // Initialize all pixels to 'off'
pinMode(tgr1, OUTPUT);
pinMode(tgr2, OUTPUT);
pinMode(tgr3, OUTPUT);
pinMode(tgr4, OUTPUT);
pinMode(tgr5, OUTPUT);
pinMode(box, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(tgr1, LOW);
digitalWrite(tgr2, HIGH);
digitalWrite(tgr3, HIGH);
digitalWrite(tgr4, HIGH);
digitalWrite(tgr5, HIGH);
//digitalWrite(tgr2, LOW);
//Speed = loops *2;
for(int b=0;b<loops;b++){ //rampup
Cyclotron(r,0,0,luz,1+Speed);
Speed = Speed-2;
Speed = constrain (Speed,1,50);
}
digitalWrite(tgr1, HIGH);
digitalWrite(tgr2, LOW);
digitalWrite(box, HIGH);
for(int c=0;c<hold*10;c++){ //speedhold
Cyclotron(r,0,0,luz,1+Speed);
}

}

void loop() {
ramp = loops + random(loops);
hold = hold + random(hold);
//digitalWrite(tgr2, HIGH);
//digitalWrite(tgr4, HIGH);
for(int c=0;c<hold;c++){ //speedhold
Cyclotron(r,0,0,luz,1+Speed);}

}

void Cyclotron(byte red, byte green, byte blue, int light, int Spd)
{
x=1;
y=0;
for (int i=0; i<pixels; i++)
{
for(int a=0;a<light;a++){
y=x+a;
strip.setPixelColor(i+a, strip.Color(red/y, green, blue));
if(i+a >= pixels)
strip.setPixelColor(luz-a-1, strip.Color(red/y, green, blue));
}
strip.show();
strip.setPixelColor(i, strip.Color(0, 0, 0));
delay(Spd);
}
}

void Cyclotron84(byte red, byte green, byte blue, int light, int Spd)
{
x=1;
y=0;
for (int i=0; i<pixels; i++)
{
for(int a=0;a<light;a++){
y=x+a;
strip.setPixelColor(i+a, strip.Color(red/y, green, blue));
if(i+a >= pixels)
strip.setPixelColor(luz-a-1, strip.Color(red/y, green, blue));
}
strip.show();
strip.setPixelColor(i, strip.Color(0, 0, 0));
delay(Spd);
}
}

There might be some code there that is for future releases. Any ways hope this helps.
gerv, CaptainAssholay liked this
By Gucabe
gerv wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:37 am Be interesting to see if the plasma pack can get near that level of speed, you would really think thats a spinning part inside the pack in the video.
From the prototypes it seems that the plasma pack will emulate the spining by cycling the 4 led arrays. I dont think it will look like the actual clip. Specially because the leds are right up the CT windows. There will be no depth to them.

They way I did it is that I placed the neopixel strip far back, to give it depth... Looks like the effect we saw on the clip, however the Spengler pack that Phoebe fixes, has the CT thingamayigs in front of the CT core drum... so in reality the depth is just an optical illusion CGIed in to the movie.
By jonogunn
Were there any scenes in the movie that showed the rings max speed? It seems like the max speed is a little too fast to the point it’s almost showing all 4 circles showing light. A tad slower would be ideal but that’s just my opinion.

Dammit. My skills with this is so lacking that I don’t think I can pull this off but damn I love it way more than the original.

Do you by any chance have pics of the inside showing the connections between all the parts? When you finish this of course
By Gucabe
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:59 am Were there any scenes in the movie that showed the rings max speed? It seems like the max speed is a little too fast to the point it’s almost showing all 4 circles showing light. A tad slower would be ideal but that’s just my opinion.

Dammit. My skills with this is so lacking that I don’t think I can pull this off but damn I love it way more than the original.

Do you by any chance have pics of the inside showing the connections between all the parts? When you finish this of course
I think there is a scene when they are chasing Muncher in the warehouse that is visible, but very very briefly. I do agree that its probably too fast but its easily chengable in my code, I have a speed constraint that I can adjust

Essentially the 1 meanse a 1 milisecond delay between each pixel, and a 50 means 50 mili second delay. so if I set that between 2 and 50 It can slow the max speed, or if i want to make the slower speed even slower then I can put like 100 on the second parameter.

I will try adjusting it more to see what effects i can get.

I can also set the number of pixels in the tail, right now is set at 3.
int luz = 3;
that can be as low as 1 and as high as need it to be.
jonogunn liked this
By Gucabe
Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:23 am
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:59 am Were there any scenes in the movie that showed the rings max speed? It seems like the max speed is a little too fast to the point it’s almost showing all 4 circles showing light. A tad slower would be ideal but that’s just my opinion.

I think there is a scene when they are chasing Muncher in the warehouse that is visible, but very very briefly. I do agree that its probably too fast but its easily chengable in my code, I have a speed constraint that I can adjust

Essentially the 1 meanse a 1 milisecond delay between each pixel, and a 50 means 50 mili second delay. so if I set that between 2 and 50 It can slow the max speed, or if i want to make the slower speed even slower then I can put like 100 on the second parameter.

I will try adjusting it more to see what effects i can get.

I can also set the number of pixels in the tail, right now is set at 3.
int luz = 3;
that can be as low as 1 and as high as need it to be.
I think what I will do is match the speed of the practical pack... watch it operate after the 3:30 minute mark slow and then at 3:50 it maxes
By jonogunn
I think if it’s slow enough that you can still it’s spinning and “cycling’s through the 4 lenses it’ll look good.

Alright I’m sold dude. I look forward to your build with this and i will attempt this myself. I can’t get over how much cooler a spinning light looks over the original. I thank you in advance!
By Gucabe
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 11:23 am I think if it’s slow enough that you can still it’s spinning and “cycling’s through the 4 lenses it’ll look good.

Alright I’m sold dude. I look forward to your build with this and i will attempt this myself. I can’t get over how much cooler a spinning light looks over the original. I thank you in advance!
Its an unlicenced nuclear accelerator... it should spin close to the speed of light so it makes sense it should be faster rather than 4 blinkers.

The good part of this, is you can have the 1984 version or the afterlife version and still be canon.
jonogunn liked this
By jonogunn
Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 11:27 am
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 11:23 am I think if it’s slow enough that you can still it’s spinning and “cycling’s through the 4 lenses it’ll look good.

Its an unlicenced nuclear accelerator... it should spin close to the speed of light so it makes sense it should be faster rather than 4 blinkers.

The good part of this, is you can have the 1984 version or the afterlife version and still be canon.
I look forward seeing that come to fruition!
Gucabe liked this
By dantonvfx
WOW THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! I will start buying all the parts and hopefully put all together By Christmas. I got a new MDF Motherboard for the Spirit pack, so I need to disasambel all, paint and reinstall the electronics, just that this time, I will follow your GOD guide!

Is your Spengler Wand connected to the electornics, or its just working on its own as by default?

Is there any were I can contcat you in private in case there is a major issue or question? I don't see a message system on the forum.

AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH!!!
By Gucabe
dantonvfx wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:42 pm WOW THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! I will start buying all the parts and hopefully put all together By Christmas. I got a new MDF Motherboard for the Spirit pack, so I need to disasambel all, paint and reinstall the electronics, just that this time, I will follow your GOD guide!

Is your Spengler Wand connected to the electornics, or its just working on its own as by default?

Is there any were I can contcat you in private in case there is a major issue or question? I don't see a message system on the forum.

AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH!!!
I hacked the wand on the speaker and just using the audio through a mixer. It has no interaction with the pack... yet. :sigh:

Im in the facebook groups too look me up as Gustavo Canales in Facebook.
By dantonvfx
Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 1:01 pm
dantonvfx wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:42 pm WOW THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!

AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH!!!
I hacked the wand on the speaker and just using the audio through a mixer. It has no interaction with the pack... yet. :sigh:

Thanks so much!!!

So you opened the Wand and added a mini jack or an Aux output and conected it to a mixer/speaker right? That brings me another question, What Speakers are you using for the proton pack? Are the same for the Wand? or you have diferent ones? What mixer do you use?

About the nanopixel Ring, with your setup, would it be possibel to connect 3 diferent rings at the same time but with offsets? So they have a diferent sequence and can give that extra layer of depth instead of only one ring light?

Thanks so much again!
By Gucabe
dantonvfx wrote: November 30th, 2021, 1:38 pm
Gucabe wrote: November 30th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Thanks so much!!!

So you opened the Wand and added a mini jack or an Aux output and conected it to a mixer/speaker right? That brings me another question, What Speakers are you using for the proton pack? Are the same for the Wand? or you have diferent ones? What mixer do you use?

About the nanopixel Ring, with your setup, would it be possibel to connect 3 diferent rings at the same time but with offsets? So they have a diferent sequence and can give that extra layer of depth instead of only one ring light?

Thanks so much again!
For the audio hack I followed this video, but only did the audio hack not the rest.

It goes to a Little bear MC5 Mixer, then to a pyle 60 watt amp and to a 4 inch speaker. The GBfans speaker sold in the shop is great. I use the mixer to mix 3 signals, the Adafruit fx board with the pulsecon activation audio, the neutrona wand audio and a bluetooth dongle to send the music from my phone.

Its definetly possible to add more layers, just remember that neopixels are conected in series, if you put pixels in parallel they will do the same effect as the others. So if you want different sequences they have to be daisy chained.
By jonogunn
I haven’t hacked my Spengler wand yet but what I have is same as that video. Leeds from wand to amp. Amp to speaker and blue brick battery.

Am I able to connect the adafruit to the same amp/speakers?

Honestly no connection other than sound from the wand to the pack works out just fine for an Afterlife style pack IMO.
By Gucabe
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 2:56 pm I haven’t hacked my Spengler wand yet but what I have is same as that video. Leeds from wand to amp. Amp to speaker and blue brick battery.

Am I able to connect the adafruit to the same amp/speakers?

Honestly no connection other than sound from the wand to the pack works out just fine for an Afterlife style pack IMO.
Thats where the mixer comes in, the little bear mc5 is a passive mixer so expect a signal drop in volume, but it works well, it has 4 inputs and 1 output. The output goes to the amp.

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]