RichardLess wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:29 am A little off topic but those of who you cosplay, do you have your own last name on the jumpsuit or one the OGB’s? I can’t decide which way I’ll go. I’m leaning towards OGB.
I seem to remember at least one person using velcro nametags, so he could do either one as he wished.
One time wrote: December 6th, 2021, 6:02 pm
Bison256 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Because it's supposed to look jury rigged. The idea is Egon couldn't afford to fix it properly so he worked with what materials he had on hand.
Ok sure. But that's because we know the lore.

It's like a Ferrari F40 where the rear wing broke and was fixed with an aftermarket NISMO wing that has nothing to do with the original beautiful Italian design. The original design is lightyears ahead in terms of congruence.

The original 84 wand featured a function that was evident in its form. The double offset grips that indicated it would go beserk. (I'll never forget the feeling I had when I held an original 84 wand for the first time. I did not expect it.) It was like no other gun, rifle or tool I had held.

It was completely congruent with its function. Light beams and "needing to grip tightly" had not gone together before.

Converting the Haslab pack to an '84 is really about converting the wand. (the wand is part of the pack). Sure the little ripcord and greeblies on the pack are different in '21. But the most -obvious- difference to the entire pack is that wooden front grip on the Spengler wand.

I'd love tips on how to best/easiest way to get the wand (and therefore the entire proton pack) to look '84.
Exactly - the whole idea of converting this pack is contingent on getting Hasbro to produce an 84' wand that operates with it. It's seriously a no-brainer and I really hope when they eventually do it they'll make it even more compatible with the pack since they have the opportunity to design it with the new hose electronics in mind.

I agree with a previous poster that it would be awesome to get the simple loom with it as well, though I'm not sure Hasbro would do that. My guess is that this pack is the only pack we may ever get, at least for a long while. With that being said, what does the rest of the pack-less world need with a hose that does nothing except increase the cost? This is precisely why I wish Hasbro had both hoses and ribbon cables in their tiers to begin with. Seems like a missed opportunity.

As it stands, seems like the Spengler wand is not quite worth the modding required to make it an 84. The bottom grip has the 3D printed grip ready to go for it, but I've yet to see anyone even try to remove the wooden grip up front. If it's painted plastic, it would be really tough to remove if it's part of the sculpt of the barrel area or without damaging or breaking the piece underneath. Very curious to see if someone tried this in preparation for this pack being converted to an 84'.
Last edited by ProtonPack83 on December 7th, 2021, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One time liked this
Bison256 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 6:27 pm
JWils23 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 5:46 pm Indy replaced the front grip of the Spengler wand on his build, take a look.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47519&p=4962923#p4962923
I just wish it was not so destructive. I'd be worried about screwing up the epoxy too.
Screw up how?
Bison256 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 6:27 pm
JWils23 wrote: December 7th, 2021, 5:46 pm Indy replaced the front grip of the Spengler wand on his build, take a look.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47519&p=4962923#p4962923
I just wish it was not so destructive. I'd be worried about screwing up the epoxy too.
Yeah that looks very destructive for an untrained hand. I've done all kinds of home renovation in every stage of the process, but that front grip would be the death of me lol
One time liked this
There has to be some kind of “half height” front grip that can be 3D printed and glued to the top of the shotgun grip. We could fill the seams with some kind of plastic filler. The Matty wand front grip is a tiny bit wider than screen used. I’d even be happy with a front grip as wide as the Matty.
One time wrote: December 7th, 2021, 9:23 pm There has to be some kind of “half height” front grip that can be 3D printed and glued to the top of the shotgun grip. We could fill the seams with some kind of plastic filler. The Matty wand front grip is a tiny bit wider than screen used. I’d even be happy with a front grip as wide as the Matty.
viewtopic.php?p=4944418#p4944418
One time liked this
I know that I have already built a pack, which is so heavy it is insane. My pack is like 35 pounds like the original 84 props and after rocking it for an entire day, it feels like a workout. I personally couldn't say that there is much that I would change about the Haslab pack but I would definitely spring for the proper Clippard Valves because even the wand has an odd one that I am itching to swap out sometime. I would give it a proper A.L.I.C.E frame. I am hoping that the speaker isn't something that isn't packing a punch. I also would hope that there is a way to bypass the D-sized batteries for a battery pack that can be recharged and lasts a full day of running around conventions. Lastly, I would hope that it is possible to mount it to a new motherboard because if not, then you are going to be stuck with what looks like a two-part crease and some backpack strap holes. Other than that, I think I would be very happy just doing a few little teaks to bring it closer to being the Afterlife proton pack that it is supposed to be while enjoying the fact that it doesn't feel like a bag of dog food strapped to my back all day long, lol. I hope that the paint job looks great in person because I feel like once someone starts painting it, it may start to lose that Afterlife charm.
As far as the wand goes Hasbro loves reusing molds, we have gotten I believe 4 or 5 different stormtrooper helmets, with either minor retooling, or just a repaint, 4 different captain America shields, multiple iron man, and boba fett helmets, the list goes on, if they can reuse a mold, with either a paint job changed or just one or two new parts, they will, so them gluing in a filler part on the rear grip and making a new front tube and suddenly having an 84 thrower is probably too juicy for them to pass up, right now they are doing the new wands, and I bet by the time the packs are shipping they will be selling the 84 version, as a way to sell to people that have a pack with no thrower, people that just wanted both, or missed out on this current thrower. So I have no plans to mod my thrower since I'm pretty sure they will be making a classic one later.

Seems like since they are adding in newer stickers to the pack, they feel like the pack is close enough to 84 to not make a new one, really removing extra wires and swapping the stickers would make it look close enough. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if they later did a wide release of a 84 pack since they have the molds mostly done with the afterlife pack, but I wouldn't put money on it since its such a big pricey item.
ProtonPack83, One time liked this
Harry Bardwell wrote: December 8th, 2021, 8:46 am As far as the wand goes Hasbro loves reusing molds, we have gotten I believe 4 or 5 different stormtrooper helmets, with either minor retooling, or just a repaint, 4 different captain America shields, multiple iron man, and boba fett helmets, the list goes on, if they can reuse a mold, with either a paint job changed or just one or two new parts, they will, so them gluing in a filler part on the rear grip and making a new front tube and suddenly having an 84 thrower is probably too juicy for them to pass up, right now they are doing the new wands, and I bet by the time the packs are shipping they will be selling the 84 version, as a way to sell to people that have a pack with no thrower, people that just wanted both, or missed out on this current thrower. So I have no plans to mod my thrower since I'm pretty sure they will be making a classic one later.

Seems like since they are adding in newer stickers to the pack, they feel like the pack is close enough to 84 to not make a new one, really removing extra wires and swapping the stickers would make it look close enough. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if they later did a wide release of a 84 pack since they have the molds mostly done with the afterlife pack, but I wouldn't put money on it since its such a big pricey item.
Definitely - Hasbro does love a good mold reuse. I think the thrower would be so easy for them to modify. I still feel like the "emitter" (I don't know the technically accurate term) comes out a little too far? I know on the Matty version it seems a little shorter. I think one that's in between would be a great to match the pack properly.
Some sticker tips:

1. To convert to ‘84 (clean stickers) while not using the stickers Hasbro provides (keeping them unused in the box) authentic 1:1 sticker sets are freely available on Gbfans. Demon Vice Commander has really accurate ones, and there are even metal ones for sale.

2. To keep the ‘21 stickers on the pack from spoiling by sticking new stickers on top of them: use painting masking tape. It comes off without damage. Create a piece the same size as the sticker you want to place. Stick the ‘84 sticker on that tape, then place the duct tape on the original stickers on the pack. It will come off easily without damaging the sticker underneath.

This stuff:

One time wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:03 pm Some sticker tips:

1. To convert to ‘84 (clean stickers) while not using the stickers Hasbro provides (keeping them unused in the box) authentic 1:1 sticker sets are freely available on Gbfans. Demon Vice Commander has really accurate ones, and there are even metal ones for sale.

2. To keep the ‘21 stickers on the pack from spoiling by sticking new stickers on top of them: use painting masking tape. It comes off without damage. Create a piece the same size as the sticker you want to place. Stick the ‘84 sticker on that tape, then place the duct tape on the original stickers on the pack. It will come off easily without damaging the sticker underneath.

This stuff:

I was under the impression that the pack would NOT come with the stickers already on it and have two sticker sheets (the SMARTER way to do things, Hasbro). That would allow the customer to put whichever set they wanted on. If they are already pre-applied, I'm wondering if they'll be metal stickers as well or simply vinyl style. Is anyone actually positive that the Afterlife stickers come on the pack?

Good tips on the removal though!

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]