Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By VenomSymbiote
This Post Contains Spoilers
By mrmichaelt
To set off a chain of events he could in part influence. The Proton Pack array in the mine was a temporary solution. He basically took a big gamble on Phoebe. Had he not led her to the trap or taught her about the pack, Zuul would have returned to free Vinz and probably harmed or even killed his two grandchildren then end of the world.
VenomSymbiote, Corey91, Prime 1986 and 2 others liked this
By VenomSymbiote
That's a reasonable explanation. If he hadn't the other dog may have come stomping around looking. I wonder if Egons plan would have worked without equipment problems if Ray had been around to help. The whole haphazard set ups made me think of the RGB episodes Play Them Ragtime Boos and Dairy Farm.
By VenomSymbiote
tylergfoster wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:28 am It would make more sense if
I think so too. I didn't remember this but from watching what others have thought about the movie someone pointed out that after releasing the terror dog everyone just goes back to life as normal. If releasing the terror dog had happened like, right before the battle with Muncher, it may have made more sense. So Egon leads her around, fixes the pack. All the stuff that happened in the movie after releasing the dog from the trap that seemed off happens. Phoebe then finds the trap and the let it out. She wants to get it back so it doesn't cause trouble and thinks it was Muncher. Catch Muncher, but finds his notes about his plan pointing to Muncher not being the threat. Everything then plays out like it did from the police station onward.
tylergfoster liked this
By tylergfoster
Others have also pointed out that
VenomSymbiote liked this
By l3w1sb159
That trap bugs me.

Traps are supposed to have limited battery life; hence the need to transfer the ghosts into the containment unit for permanent storage.

That trap with the terror dog in had ran out of battery; which is why they had to connect the jumper cables to it to give it enough juice to operate.

If it had ran out of battery how did it still manage to contain the terror dog?????!!!!

(Back to OP)
I had thought egon led her to it so soon as the battery was close to running out and releasing vinz. However in ghost form he couldn't tell her what needed to be done with it and didn't expect them to try to open it?

But the first part of this cancels that theory out so nevermind. :blush:
By VenomSymbiote
l3w1sb159 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:55 pm That trap bugs me.

Traps are supposed to have limited battery life; hence the need to transfer the ghosts into the containment unit for permanent storage.

That trap with the terror dog in had ran out of battery; which is why they had to connect the jumper cables to it to give it enough juice to operate.

If it had ran out of battery how did it still manage to contain the terror dog?????!!!!

(Back to OP)
I had thought egon led her to it so soon as the battery was close to running out and releasing vinz. However in ghost form he couldn't tell her what needed to be done with it and didn't expect them to try to open it?

I always thought the traps had a power supply similar to the the packs. Maybe not a half life of 5000 years since they're smaller, but still. If I'm mistaken it's possible Egon modified that trap to specifically try and hold one of the Terror Dogs. Them needing to use the batteries to open it may have just been them not knowing how to properly open it up. For all we know it just needed the step pad. Egon didn't put it away with it on, right? Do they say how long it was between Egons death and the family arriving on the farm?

Tyler yeah I agree. Basically the events could all play out mostly the same they just needed to be rearranged a bit to make it flow better and make more sense. Muncher getting out because the dog started to kick things into motion makes a lot more sense.
By Hairy Biker
l3w1sb159 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:55 pm That trap bugs me.

(Back to OP)

May in the 30 years since GBII Egon put a fail safe in the traps that if they lose power the stay sealed.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
tylergfoster wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:26 pm Others have also pointed out that
Muncher was probably a local ghost story in Summerville like the haunted theater. No one really believed it but in the same vein avoided going to the Foundry because of the spooky vibes. Muncher as we saw in the movie couldn't manifest, probably was just sounds and feelings for decades. Just because "nobody's seen a ghost in 30 years" was said by a seismologist/GB fanboy shouldn't necessarily be taken verbatim across the world. People just stopped believing in other people's claims and people stopped reporting them out of fear of being ostracized. The zeitgeist shifted as the Ghostbusters went out of business. Then the P.K.E. spike allowed Muncher to fully manifest. And I suppose even if Summerville was a small town, of all the places Phoebe and Podcast chose to test out the gear -- that's Hollywood. About as a convenient as the 84 movie opening on the trio finally encountering a ghost for the first time after what was implied to be a lot of dead ends.
Kingpin liked this
By VenomSymbiote
mrmichaelt wrote: December 9th, 2021, 12:40 am
tylergfoster wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:26 pm Others have also pointed out that
Muncher was probably a local ghost story in Summerville like the haunted theater. No one really believed it but in the same vein avoided going to the Foundry because of the spooky vibes. Muncher as we saw in the movie couldn't manifest, probably was just sounds and feelings for decades. Just because "nobody's seen a ghost in 30 years" was said by a seismologist/GB fanboy shouldn't necessarily be taken verbatim across the world. People just stopped believing in other people's claims and people stopped reporting them out of fear of being ostracized. The zeitgeist shifted as the Ghostbusters went out of business. Then the P.K.E. spike allowed Muncher to fully manifest. And I suppose even if Summerville was a small town, of all the places Phoebe and Podcast chose to test out the gear -- that's Hollywood. About as a convenient as the 84 movie opening on the trio finally encountering a ghost for the first time after what was implied to be a lot of dead ends.
Oh for sure the first movie had convenient things happen for the plot. I just feel in Afterlife's case that shuffling around scenes would make it much less coincidental and much more fully connected.
By Kingpin
It's not a huge coincidence. The appearance of Muncher is like the Mini-Pufts: manifestations appearing with the growing influence of Gozer in our realm, something already established in the first-two movies.

If Phoebe and Podcast hadn't gone to "rust city" and found Muncher, there's a chance they might've found some form of ghost elsewhere.

The kids were there because Podcast probably thought the place was cool (and was another installment of his guided tour of Summerville). Muncher was there because there was a lot of tasty metal for it to chow down on.
oidoglr, RedSpecial liked this
By RealGhostbusterJay
I also found the muncher thing kind of easy out. If maybe it had been what flies up from the mine when Trevor and Lucky are at the top it would have at least shown that a small spirit can get out but not a group of them in mass.
By VenomSymbiote
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: December 10th, 2021, 7:12 am I also found the muncher thing kind of easy out. If maybe it had been what flies up from the mine when Trevor and Lucky are at the top it would have at least shown that a small spirit can get out but not a group of them in mass.
That seems too obvious to me to not be the intent they had, or at least originally.
By RealGhostbusterJay
When it comes to Afterlife I say this usually. It's an entertaining film that was made with a lot of love and care for the property.

Is it the best or tightest, creative story done for a GB film? No not really.
VenomSymbiote liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]