Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By mrmichaelt
WCat2000 wrote:He still believed just not that...but why?

Does he say why in phone call? I can’t remember everything he said now.
Ray tells Phoebe that Egon started to tell people that their ghost problems were irrelevant because the world was coming to an end then Ray admitted Egon got spooky and freaked him out.
By WCat2000
mrmichaelt wrote: January 20th, 2022, 3:29 am
WCat2000 wrote:He still believed just not that...but why?

Does he say why in phone call? I can’t remember everything he said now.
Ray tells Phoebe that Egon started to tell people that their ghost problems were irrelevant because the world was coming to an end then Ray admitted Egon got spooky and freaked him out.
I remember that part. It’s ok to get scared but I think he still should/would have believed in the possibility of Gozer returning. I think you could probably add more context to make it fit better.

To clarify I really loved the movie. There’s things that could have been done better, which has been discussed, but they’re still fine. My only real complaint is this feud/misunderstanding. I might feel different when I see it again.
By mrmichaelt
WCat2000 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 3:13 pm I remember that part. It’s ok to get scared but I think he still should/would have believed in the possibility of Gozer returning. I think you could probably add more context to make it fit better.
I took it that Egon started to go into unhinged rants on the emotional level of "Your mother!" But yeah, maybe there was more context that got cut out. Maybe something like Phoebe finding Egon's journal. Or that's where canon tie-in material would have really helped like with ATC having the Ghosts From Our Past book. If Afterlife had something like that written by Egon.

I was also a little surprised that Ray alone could not build more Traps after Egon left. Or at that point Peter and Winston were already looking to walk away, too.
By WCat2000
mrmichaelt wrote: January 20th, 2022, 4:46 pm
WCat2000 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 3:13 pm I remember that part. It’s ok to get scared but I think he still should/would have believed in the possibility of Gozer returning. I think you could probably add more context to make it fit better.
I took it that Egon started to go into unhinged rants on the emotional level of "Your mother!" But yeah, maybe there was more context that got cut out. Maybe something like Phoebe finding Egon's journal. Or that's where canon tie-in material would have really helped like with ATC having the Ghosts From Our Past book. If Afterlife had something like that written by Egon.

I was also a little surprised that Ray alone could not build more Traps after Egon left. Or at that point Peter and Winston were already looking to walk away, too.
I thought the same about Egon becoming unhinged because he was really caught up in it.

Ya some other piece of media could add to it. I was thinking along the lines of telling how Ray and Egon’s relationship became strained. Explaining both sides to get a “better picture”. I like the journal idea.
mrmichaelt liked this
By RealGhostbusterJay
I think that because so many of us have the ideal image of Egon in our head we can't see him "freaking out" anyone as he was the most grounded. If anyone would have went loopy it would have been Ray right? Egon is all fact but in that truth is where things might have gone off for Egon, he knew the facts that were Gozer returning at some point and being that they pulled a hail mary out of their arse last time he was unsure how this would be stopped again as what if others encountered Gozer when it exited whatever place it was to come from? I mean Gozer could have told Phoebe to choose the form right off...who knows what would have popped into her head, she's a smart kid but still a kid. Or Podcast might have been asked....yeah...something to think on.
By Styrofoam_Guy
I agree that we all think of Egon a the most level headed but I recall a youtube review where they were talking about comparisons between Afterlife and GB1.

They showed the Afterlife scene when Phoebe and Trevor just got out of jail and they told them that the police was going to be keeping all the equipment and Ecto-1. Phoebe shows a flash of anger by picking up the wand and turning it on.

They said this was a comparison of Egon in GB1 when Walter Peck has the containment unit shut off and it explodes. When Peck tells the police arrest the OGBs Egon lunges at Peck and swears.

Interesting that it was Egon and not Ray or Venkman.
By WCat2000
Ya and when he said he was terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought seeing Stay Puft. I know that line was not meant to be read into like this but in terms of Afterlife it actually fits.

Side note. I saw it mentioned here...I love how Casper really fits too. Like Ray went on a job by himself because the team was having problems.

Before it’s release I brought it up on another board but did not think it would line up this well.
By Abouttosay8oclock
I thought of that too but…i feel like itd be too much exposition for the new team to know how choosing the form works. Also familiarity helps move the story along, like when the OGs show up. Her new trick in this was uncrossing the streams? I had more of a problem with rays phone call. Ray is the conspiracy theorist, the fan boy of the group. I could never see rays character being spooked by egons theory. Its such a lazy throwaway. Probably my biggest gripe. Its not perfect as a film, i overlooked some flaws. However that did not stay true to rays character.

I also apologize if this was brought up in the thread, i just joined and im also pretty tipsy in a snowstorm.
By solotraceur
Ray was drenched in positively charged mood slime in GB2, perhaps that had long term effects on him and he was less cynical and conspiratorial and more optimistic about the world and dismissed Egon's concerns.

Venkman was always nonchalant and Winston wasn't a scientist so Egon felt alone.

That's how I see Ray's sudden change of character.
By One time
solotraceur wrote: January 19th, 2023, 8:41 am Ray was drenched in positively charged mood slime in GB2, perhaps that had long term effects on him and he was less cynical and conspiratorial and more optimistic about the world and dismissed Egon's concerns.

Venkman was always nonchalant and Winston wasn't a scientist so Egon felt alone.

That's how I see Ray's sudden change of character.
That's far fetched if you ask me.

I always thought the line would have been:

"And kid don't get me wrong, I wanted to believe..... but the readings just didn't add up."

Ray and Egon were both data driven. Everything Egon would measure he would say: "check these readings Ray", etc.

I still hope Firehouse will show that something was driving Egon to Summerville to stop Gozer. Something only he could see. Something infiltrating his mind. Possibly something worse than Gozer.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]