By Kingpin

It looks like Ghostbusters fans won't just have one new game based in the Ghostbusters universe to look forward in the near future, Sony Pictures and nDreams have teamed up to reveal Ghostbusters VR for Meta Quest 2.
Strap on your proton pack and Meta Quest 2 and step into the world of Ghostbusters in immersive virtual reality. Start your Ghostbusters HQ in a new city, San Francisco, and solve a deep mystery across a new chapter in the Ghostbusters universe.

Track, blast, and trap ghosts in gripping encounters by wielding iconic equipment. Go it alone, or as a team with up to three friends in co-op, in an extensive and engrossing campaign. Continue the Ghostbusters’ legacy, protect the city from fiendish ghosts, and experience all the humor and frights from the beloved franchise.
Ghostbusters VR will actually be the third foray into the world of virtual reality, following The Void's Ghostbusters: Dimension, and Ghostbusters VR - Now Hiring, both of which were based on 2016's Ghostbusters: Answer The Call.

Ghostbusters VR is currently scheduled for release on January 1st, 2023.
I looked it up in the Oculus Store and it shows a release date of 01/01/2023

Unfortunately when I checked the Oculus website and Oculus app it doesn't have a release date, it only showed up when I searched for it inside the Quest headset itself. Not sure if there's a way to grab a screenshot.

Edir: best I could do, the Oculus screenshot feature is terrible:
Kingpin, deadderek liked this
By deadderek

If I hired Ghostbusters and they showed up looking like that, I'd probably not take them seriously at all.

Setting this new game in San Francisco is interesting, always love seeing stories set outside of New York.
mrmichaelt liked this
By Kingpin
jonogunn wrote: April 21st, 2022, 4:36 pm Soooooo what’s with the proton pack design?
My initial thought, based on the location is that it's set a bit into the future, and the equipment's been given an update following the advances in technology... Though it may be set in the 2020s, and with the equipment's been given an update following the advances in technology.
mrmichaelt liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 21st, 2022, 4:39 pm
jonogunn wrote: April 21st, 2022, 4:36 pm Soooooo what’s with the proton pack design?
My initial thought, based on the location is that it's set a bit into the future, and the equipment's been given an update following the advances in technology... Though it may be set in the 2020s, and with the equipment's been given an update following the advances in technology.
I hope that we'll be able to select more traditional packs during character customization... otherwise, it may just be a stylistic choice, much like the add-ons in illfonic's game.

I have to admit, the thrower design reminds me a LOT of that unauthorized Ghostbusters game that was shown off shortly before the 2009 game we know and love was announced.
By Kingpin
zeta otaku wrote: April 21st, 2022, 8:26 pm I hope that we'll be able to select more traditional packs during character customization... otherwise, it may just be a stylistic choice, much like the add-ons in illfonic's game.
We may not see the classic gear in the game for the reason that the classic Thrower is almost always seen operated with two hands at all times, whereas this new design has been given the ability to operate one or two-handed to give the player the option to use the other hand for the PKE, or possibly to activate things like doors and buttons.
timeware wrote: April 21st, 2022, 10:01 pm So...What's up with the teddy bear thingy?
It's a Fortnite-esque option for customizing the character... There's no big mystery to it.
Surely it'll come to PSVR2 down the line, being a Sony property?

Seems kinda random for Meta Quest.
It's to be expected given this IP has a history been re-invented across different medium by different creative teams. It's how we got the the superior RealGB PKE meter and the two variants of TVG. It'd be too restrictive ifperipheral content were forced to work in line with the movie art & continuity, so I'm happy to see fresh takes on the tech.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 2:11 am Surely it'll come to PSVR2 down the line, being a Sony property?

Seems kinda random for Meta Quest.
The game's publisher nDreams said they'll address availability on other platforms at a later date.
https://twitter.com/nDreamsVR/status/15 ... 9759855616

Maybe Meta paid enough for limited exclusivity then a wider release next year.
An interview with Senior VP of Virtual Reality for Sony Pictures Entertainment, Jake Zim was posted. Zim confirmed the game's story is not about Ghostbusters: Afterlife nor is it sequel to it. It is a new story and a new concept that ties closely back into elements that fans love about Ghostbuters. In terms of timeline, the story is set in modern day and maybe slightly into the future.
https://www.ign.com/articles/ghostbuste ... -interview
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
By Rookie99
Really wish there was some gameplay shown, but I'm intrigued. Seems very much like a Saturday morning cartoon, especially with the "Ghost Lord" as the main antagonist. Really like the idea of a cable car containment unit.
By timeware
If the Netflix series ever shows us "proof of life" I'm kind of expecting the animated series to follow the Troll Hunters style of animation. Since Ghostbusters VR and Spirits Unleashed are similar in style.
By deadderek
Rookie99 wrote: October 31st, 2022, 8:10 pm And now I want a Filmation Ghostbusters game. Or reboot. Or crossover with Real Ghostbusters. Really just more of a gorilla fighting robot ghosts.
Of all the crossovers that would work great, the Filmation Ghostbusters meeting The Real Ghostbusters just makes so much damn sense. I can't imagine it would be THAT hard to to make it happen.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]