Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Winston1986
Photon Guy wrote: March 26th, 2022, 6:31 am In Afterlife we get to see the original gang, Peter, Ray, Winston, and even Egon back together. Just like in the good old days when the first two Ghostbusters movies came out. And they did a very beautiful sendoff to the late Harold Ramis.

Now with the new Star Wars movies, lots of fans were hoping to see Luke, Han, Leia and Chewie back together in action and there was tons of disappointment when we didn't get to see that. We get to see that in Ghostbuster Afterlife but we don't get to see that in the Disney Star Wars movies. Disney has really disappointed me. Thumbs up to Afterlife, thumbs down to the Disney Star Wars movies.
I want to start by saying I liked Afterlife. On Star Wars, I really only liked the original trilogy and don't mind the special editions except Lucas in 2004 changing old Anakin Ghost into Hayden Christinson and the later edit of Darth Vader yelling no before killing the Emperor. Frankly I hated how Lucas did the prequels especially with the stupid Jedis can't be married rule. I wish someone else had written and directed the prequels. I never wanted a sequel to the original trilogy and never got into sequel books or comics. Personally I think Return of the Jedi was a perfect ending to the series with the Emperor dying, Vader redeeming himself, and the empire getting destroyed. Everyone can now live happily ever after. Didn't like it getting undone in sequels.
BatDan liked this
By timeware
You mean, depicting him as having a realistic response to seeing the takeover of the galaxy by a dictatorial regime that he wasn't able to stop, who murdered all his friends and colleagues, as well as likely dealing with the emotional trauma from those deaths, and losing his brother-in-arms and friend?

Full disclosure: I haven't had the chance to watch the series yet, but I don't think it's fair to brand Obiwan a "chicken shit" for not being the same lightsaber-weilding soldier of justice he was in his youth given what he's facing and what he's experienced.
I get your point.

It's just seeing Obi Won being fearless in a new hope and clone wars he's now like a timid rabbit. Bad crap happened but even in Rebels he was depicted as a bad ass taking down Maul in like two and half moves. Granted he's occupied with protecting an obvious spoiler but the change is noticeable.

Hopefully Ben get's his mojo back.
By mrmichaelt
timeware wrote: June 16th, 2022, 5:57 pm Hopefully Ben get's his mojo back.
Obviously saving that for episode 6 next week. I mean the series is about him getting his mojo back. Then that informs his state of mind in Rebels, which is like 7 years after this current live action series, and New Hope.

What is this thread about? :P
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: June 16th, 2022, 5:57 pmIt's just seeing Obi Won being fearless in a new hope and clone wars he's now like a timid rabbit.
I really think you expect too much of Obi-Wan, which isn't entirely your fault... We've been saturated with big, impressive heroes who never break under the strain that when presented with a hero displaying trauma, we don't know how to properly process that.
timeware wrote: June 16th, 2022, 5:57 pmBad crap happened but even in Rebels he was depicted as a bad ass taking down Maul in like two and half moves.
Rebels is a cartoon. The show's obviously going to present Obi-Wan in a familiar ass-kicking form for a show aimed at kids because showing him processing his PTSD, having to carve out a life under a repressive regime, and having lost almost everything doesn't make for a good kids' show... However it does make for compelling television for adults.

We'll possibly get some bits where we see signs of the old Obi-Wan, but this show is the road that eventually takes us to the version of him we see in A New Hope... It seems a reasonable conclusion he managed to reach that age because he picked his battles very carefully, and tried to be as inconspicuous as possible.
LeoCor Replicas liked this
By Clifton Sleigh
You mean, depicting him as having a realistic response to seeing the takeover of the galaxy by a dictatorial regime that he wasn't able to stop, who murdered all his friends and colleagues, as well as likely dealing with the emotional trauma from those deaths, and losing his brother-in-arms and friend?
Nailed it, to the wall; that's exactly how somebody who'd bee through a ton of shit like Obi-Wan would react. Fans need to stop making him out to be a superman when he isn't one (this is also analogous to how Luke was feeling in The Last Jedi.
Kingpin liked this
By Clifton Sleigh
RichardLess wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 7:34 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 3:26 am

1. But on a smaller budget and during a pandemic + as you state what it made on merch and home release. It could've made a decent profit for Sony.

2. The critical reviews for both ATC and Afterlife were mired in the culture war of the last decade. I don't get how the franchise became embroiled in it, but Sony should be realistic and aware of it's own role in exploiting toxicity in marketing both movies. Answer the Call and Afterlife are solid movies with a lot of quality invested in their production.

3. Subjective. Was it perfect? No. It was funny, it was spooky, it was nostalgic, it was heartwarming. It scored an A- on Cinemascore.
I’m not sure the pandemic is a valid excuse considering the performance of other movies. At first I was in the camp of “ya it did pretty well considering the pandemic” but then you look at the movies that did better and there’s no reason Ghostbusters couldn’t have done more business. I mean…Spider-Man made in a day, a single day, what the entire gross of Ghostbusters was. So the pandemic wasn’t a factor there. Venom did well. James Bond did ok, Dune did well considering it was also available on HBO Max. And before anyone goes “well it’s Spider-Man of course it did insane numbers” that isn’t the point.

People went to the movies…for movies they really wanted to see. Also I can’t help but notice that GBA made almost exactly the same amount as GB16 domestically. That’s a pretty big coincidence. Or it’s not a coincidence. I’m leaning towards the latter.

And yes the budget was smaller than GB16. It got an A- cinemascore. Great. Wonderful. The problem is tho that the franchise isn’t growing. Sony’s looking at that 197 million dollar gross and the GB16 gross and thinking “Given the cost of movie making today, with the spectacle required to gain an audiences attention, how do we make money?”. They made one Ghostbusters movie on the cheap and they still barely made money. A sequel is only going to cost more. Look at this from Sony’s perspective and ask yourself “did this movie move the needle so that we can say with any degree of confidence that the next GB films we make will be a success” and I think that answer is a clear no. I think anyone who says different is lying to themselves.

Studios don’t want to break even. They don’t want to have to rely on home video and merch to make a profit. Those are suppose to be the freebies that make you the extra cash, not limp you across the finish line for a participation trophy.

Was Ghostbusters Afterlife a success? No. Was it a failure? Also no. It just…was. The movie seems almost forgotten now by the masses. It’s not talked about, not debated about. Not anymore. It left no indelible mark on the zeitgeist. Mini pufts didn’t become the next baby Yoda or Porg.

GBA is like Tuesday night sex. You had it, you kinda enjoyed it, it got the job done. But it wasn’t particularly memorable and you’ve forgotten all about it once the sweet kinky fun weekend sex rolls around.
Also, there was a backlash from feminists about Afterlife for displacing the characters from Answer The Call (many didn't like Phoebe Spengler, and some even said that she's 'just a young female Egon with boobs.')

The articles in question that express this backlash:

Unpacking the Sexist Box Office Narrative of Ghostbusters

The Sexist Trolling That Led to a New, Underwhelming ‘Ghostbusters’

Also, this:
Reviews for Ghostbusters: Afterlife have been a mixed bag,and many harp on its over-reliance on Easter eggs and nostalgia. While 2016’s Ghostbusters has been accused of straying too far from the original’s nostalgic legacy, it seems this film’s biggest shortcoming is hewing too closely. At least it seems to be enjoying the benefit of a troll-free release. (Gee, I wonder why!)
So was it a success? Somewhat, but the critics weren't impressed and it got overshadowed by other movies that came out that week, including a competing one from Columbia. And as I said before, time will tell if any of its young cast will want to come back for a sequel years later.
By Chicken, He Clucked
Clifton Sleigh wrote: Also, there was a backlash from feminists about Afterlife for displacing the characters from Answer The Call
This is true.
(many didn't like Phoebe Spengler, and some even said that she's 'just a young female Egon with [redacted for being gross and creepy].')

The articles in question that express this backlash:
Who said that about the child actor? In the articles you cited (nope)?
So was it a success? Somewhat, but the critics weren't impressed and it got overshadowed by other movies that came out that week, including a competing one from Columbia. And as I said before, time will tell if any of its young cast will want to come back for a sequel years later.
It’s obvious from the announcement the young cast will be back for the sequel.
By timeware
Kingpin wrote: June 21st, 2022, 4:18 am
Clifton Sleigh wrote: June 20th, 2022, 7:16 pm but the critics weren't impressed
The critics also liked Ad Astra, Hail, Cesar! and The Green Knight... So I'm not sure why we put so much investment in what the critics think.
The critics also review bombed Afterlife. I am shocked and appalled that the critics weren't impressed. #notmyghostbustersmovie. Lol.
deadderek liked this
By tylergfoster
To be quite honest, I have zero idea how to understand a "market share" chart versus a straightforward sales/revenue chart. But Ghostbusters: Afterlife is still in the top 10 market share for BD and top 20 for UHD as of last week.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/research/ ... d-6-18-22/

Clicking through the sales charts, Afterlife last charted just under two months ago on 5/7/22, where it was 14th. However, the sales charts also use "market share," so I don't know how to translate that into units sold or revenue.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/research/ ... ed-5-7-22/

A month before that, in April, Afterlife was the #1 home video title of the year to date. No doubt it's been unseated by Spider-Man: No Way Home, but I imagine it's still in the top 5, if not the top 3. Pretty good!

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/yellowsto ... -for-2022/
By Clifton Sleigh
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 21st, 2022, 7:08 am Who said that about the child actor? In the articles you cited (nope)?
Somebody on Twitter said that.
It’s obvious from the announcement the young cast will be back for the sequel.
That's good news, if it's actually true.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]