Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 5th, 2022, 8:10 pm
RichardLess wrote: I don’t get it? What are you trying to say?
In light of your post about the Ghostbusters' sterility, I have no further comment and 'm slowly backing out of the conversation with you.
Lol.

It was either that or the radiation caused mutated sperm that became sentient. But that’s a little too far.

The one gag I kinda liked about GB16 was how scary they kind of made the equipment feel and when she tries out the equipment for the first time she has to have a ground wire.

and one of the things that’s interesting is the long term impact of proton pack usage. It’s like in the first movie in the elevator. The pack is turned on and that dangerous hum comes out and they move away. Its funny that these guys just haven’t even thought too much about how dangerous what they are doing is. Its bonkers. And they are just like “meh. part of the job” lol.
In my opinion Acute Radiation Syndrome would go too far for a comedy film. If it was real they would be vomiting in the short term and suffer from bone marrow supression and require consistent end of life care. It's a horrible way to die.

I think what they did in Afterlife, i.e. the subtle patches of increased skin pigmentation on Egons hand when he reaches for the PKE meter in the drawer, due to long term cutaneous radiation injury, was pretty realistic.
Kingpin wrote: July 8th, 2022, 12:09 pm They might be intended to represent liver spots, rather than some sort of sign of radiation damage.
There’s a reason they went out of their way to include it. They could have just use Gunton’s hands instead, which show no marks.

What would cause liver spots? Was Egon known to drink a lot of alcohol in the franchise?
One time wrote: July 11th, 2022, 5:48 pm
Kingpin wrote: July 8th, 2022, 12:09 pm They might be intended to represent liver spots, rather than some sort of sign of radiation damage.
There’s a reason they went out of their way to include it. They could have just use Gunton’s hands instead, which show no marks.

What would cause liver spots? Was Egon known to drink a lot of alcohol in the franchise?
The reason they included it is because the audience needs to register it’s an older persons hand. We don’t see a face. Just hands. Spots on hands are indicative of age. That’s all there is to it.
Kingpin liked this
One time wrote: July 7th, 2022, 5:00 pm In my opinion Acute Radiation Syndrome would go too far for a comedy film. If it was real they would be vomiting in the short term and suffer from bone marrow supression and require consistent end of life care. It's a horrible way to die.

I think what they did in Afterlife, i.e. the subtle patches of increased skin pigmentation on Egons hand when he reaches for the PKE meter in the drawer, due to long term cutaneous radiation injury, was pretty realistic.
You must not be a fan of The Simpsons than eh? Homer is a nuclear technician & that show has used many jokes about radiation

That’s not true at all.. Radiation is not a 1:1. Not all people experience the same things. You can have some of the GB’s have long term radiation issues and the joke is how nonchalant they are about it. They don’t have cancer or anything. You can get away with them having longer term consequences of using unlicensed nuclear accelerators because they are still alive and still the same characters. This isn’t a documentary. And the way information is delivered is in a “is he joking? Is he serious?” Way. You wouldn’t have him vomiting or acting like he’s in the show Chernobyl for Christ sakes lol

Again, what would the long term consequence of proton pack usage be? Having the GB’s go sterile & experience other symptoms is fertile ground for comedy. It’s all in the delivery.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]