By Spenglers
I was out shopping this afternoon for things entirely unrelated to building my flight suit and happened to stop in Target. They finally have their Halloween stuff out for sale, so I took a look through the entire section. Color me surprised and (a little excited) to find not just kids' GB uniforms but several accessories to go along with them as well. For a third of the price that Spirit's ecto goggles are, you can do a Target run and pick up these beauts for ten bucks.

Pros:
  • Dirt cheap.
  • As with anything, you can mod these to your liking. Plus, if you mess up it's just another ten bucks to grab a new pair.
  • Completes your costume in a pinch.
  • IMO more accurate-looking than Spirit's offering this season. Casual folks are gonna know what these things are when you wear them.
  • Lightweight. You put these on your forehead, they're staying there.
Cons:
  • They don't have lights or sounds.
  • Thinner plastic than Spirit's. Still feel sturdy enough to take a little abuse however.
  • May require you to buy new elastic if your head is on the larger side.
  • Still not film-accurate.
  • You may also wish to add additional padding so you won't get a headache from wearing them too long.
They also have for offer a PKE meter and ghost trap. The PKE meter is definitely kid-sized and the arms do not retract or light up. The thing's basically a dummy prop. Same with the trap on the prop end of things, and this one is kinda... comically too large to be right. All the molded knobs are wrong as well. :sigh: But again, these'll do for kids just fine, and for us adults if we're in a hell of a pinch and need something as a placeholder.

All of these items are made by the brand Disguise, so I'm sure if you're in a Party City or a Wal-Mart, you could find them there now as well. IF this stuff's for you, happy hunting!
Macktacular liked this
By Macktacular
Sounds like solid customizing fodder or, like you said, great for kids. Or if you need something that looks close enough but you're going to be walking a bunch so you want to cut down on weight. I can see the trap being quite good for a day at a con, having a 10 lb+ trap slapping against your thigh all day gets a little tiresome. Thanks for the honest review.
Spenglers liked this
By Spenglers
Macktacular wrote: September 18th, 2022, 6:21 pm Sounds like solid customizing fodder or, like you said, great for kids. Or if you need something that looks close enough but you're going to be walking a bunch so you want to cut down on weight. I can see the trap being quite good for a day at a con, having a 10 lb+ trap slapping against your thigh all day gets a little tiresome. Thanks for the honest review.
Agreed. The trap weighs next to nothing, maybe a pound at most, so if anyone wants it to hang off their belts it'll be a heck of a lot lighter than something loaded with lights and sounds. If you're super careful you might be able to Dremel the doors off the top and make a secret compartment outta the thing if that's your flavor.

I personally grabbed the goggles to mess around with. I just couldn't beat the price and I knew I'd definitely be wearing them for an extended amount of time. Also if anyone's curious: you can see out of them when they're over your face clear as crystal. I was shocked that the acrylic lenses were actually that nice.
By Acerock
I picked up a pair of the Target Ecto- Goggles as well. I roughed them up a little, I'll brush some silver paint on them and print out some stickers for them, too! If it goes how I think it will, should look pretty sharp for not a lot of money!
Spenglers liked this
By Spenglers
Acerock wrote: October 19th, 2022, 11:58 am I picked up a pair of the Target Ecto- Goggles as well. I roughed them up a little, I'll brush some silver paint on them and print out some stickers for them, too! If it goes how I think it will, should look pretty sharp for not a lot of money!
I did that with my pair and they look great. My only regret is that I grabbed acetone to remove the copyright stuff, not my mineral spirits. D'oh! :sigh: I ended up going over the area with my silver paint pen to make it look like battle damage and I think it works well enough.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]