Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
tobycj wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:40 am Pretty sure Logan Kim confirmed recently he's in it again as Podcast.
Yes, at the end of July, he pretty much did. He seemed to imply he already knew he is in it but stated he did not get a script yet. At the 13:56 mark, he says, "But I'm waiting for the Ghostbusters script. When that comes in, I'm going to be every excited. And I'm probably going to read it with the other cast members."
viewtopic.php?p=4971649#p4971649
viewtopic.php?p=4971676#p4971676
Alphagaia, tobycj, Kingpin liked this
timeware wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 3:11 am You get a script, he gets a script, she gets a script everyone gets a script! Check under your chair!
It's a trap. It's just bees.

zeta otaku, deadderek, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
Ecto24601 wrote:Seeing that shot of de-aged Harrison Ford in the Indy 5 trailer that just dropped makes me want that for the OGBs in Firehouse SO BAD!! We got the tools, we got the talent, we got the technology that it doesn't look awkward anymore.
We don't have the tools, talent or technology to time travel back to 1990 and make Ghostbusters III happen. A CGI fest isn't the answer (which Dial of Destiny looks to be - and people moaned about Crystal Skull!) Not unless it was some sort of recast or cartoon spin-off series. A full movie of de-ageing tech would just be uncanny valley or insanely expensive. And who would play Egon? It's just not viable at all, sorry to be a party pooper.

The way forward for the franchise is the new characters.
Alphagaia, WhoaFoogles liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:40 am
Ecto24601 wrote:Seeing that shot of de-aged Harrison Ford in the Indy 5 trailer that just dropped makes me want that for the OGBs in Firehouse SO BAD!! We got the tools, we got the talent, we got the technology that it doesn't look awkward anymore.
We don't have the tools, talent or technology to time travel back to 1990 and make Ghostbusters III happen.
A GB movie doesn't have the budget to do this as well. Egon alone costed a lot of the budget for the five minutes he is on screen.
Ecto24601 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:40 am Seeing that shot of de-aged Harrison Ford in the Indy 5 trailer that just dropped makes me want that for the OGBs in Firehouse SO BAD!! We got the tools, we got the talent, we got the technology that it doesn't look awkward anymore.
But is it necessary? If it doesn't serve the story, then what's the point of using it... Especially with how costly it is? (There's a reason these de-aged scenes are usually brief).
We don't have the tools, talent or technology to time travel back to 1990 and make Ghostbusters III happen. A CGI fest isn't the answer (which Dial of Destiny looks to be - and people moaned about Crystal Skull!) Not unless it was some sort of recast or cartoon spin-off series. A full movie of de-ageing tech would just be uncanny valley or insanely expensive. And who would play Egon? It's just not viable at all, sorry to be a party pooper.

The way forward for the franchise is the new characters.
Chicken, He Clucked: Did I write I want a full movie? Not at all. I wrote that the technology has become that good that it's not movie-crashing anymore to have actors portrayed as their younger selfs. Gimme that for a OGB flashback scene between Ray and Winston. Of course a 2h OGB de-aged revival movie set in the 90s would be way too costly. That gap will be filled by the comic book series as far as I know. Even the animated series would be great if it's done like "Clone Wars", which I binge-watched recently. And yes, this franchise needs new characters, new equipment, new story lines, new locations. Afterlife opened the door. Firehouse needs to step through it.
A GB movie doesn't have the budget to do this as well. Egon alone costed a lot of the budget for the five minutes he is on screen.
Alphagaia: Do you know what the Firehouse movie budget is? I guess not. None of us does. Heck, people on youtube did a better job de-aging Mark Hamill's return as Luke Skywalker at the season 2 finale of Mandalorian. Talk about budget! Again, not for a full movie. Gimme one great scene that is relevant for the movie. Which brings me to...
But is it necessary? If it doesn't serve the story, then what's the point of using it... Especially with how costly it is? (There's a reason these de-aged scenes are usually brief).
Kingpin: Do you know the full story of "Firehouse"? Read the script? Guess not. Then don't come at me with this "what's the point" bs if you have absolutely no idea if it would have any sort of relevance or not. All we know is it's Ghostbusters old and new back in New York. That's the blankest canvas for a GB movie you could imagine.

Geez, the negativity. I only said that de-aged Indy looks absolutely amazing and if this where we are at right now, then please use this for Firehouse in some sort of way. Many times I've speculated that the posessed Ray plot point of GB2 might be picked up again by Jason and Gil in a future story. Did he fully recover, is there still something lurking in him? It would explain his weird behavior towards Egon and the return of Gozer theory as well as why none of those scenes were included on the Ultimate Edition GB2 deleted stuff. If we could get a flashback scene of de-aged Ray Stantz with that kind of technology, yes have some! We've come a long way since Tarkin and Leia (*cringe*) in Rogue One...
Ecto24601 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 12:08 pmDo you know the full story of "Firehouse"? Read the script? Guess not. Then don't come at me with this "what's the point" bs if you have absolutely no idea if it would have any sort of relevance or not.
Easy... We're not trying to be passive-aggressive, so maybe ease off the throttle?

A differing opinion isn't automatically negative. I'm not against de-aging in general as it's been used to good effect in Guardians of the Galaxy - Volume 2, Ant-Man and Bladerunner: 2049. I just feel that with Afterlife having focused so much on the past (understandably, though some felt the film had too much nostalgia in it), Firehouse will likely start to look towards the future, meaning there probably wouldn't be a strong likelihood for flashbacks (especially as Afterlife didn't use any... And that would've been the optimum opportunity to have had one).

Plus... Other factors that may make it less likely are Jason's story-telling style, and if Sony asks him to work to a smaller budget compared to the one the 2016 movie... If he's having to prioritise what the budget's spent on, then any possible de-aging sequences would be among some of the first concepts to probably get cut.
Yeah, the tone of the post feels unnecessary.

I'll explain why I think the budget doesn't allow such a scene, but I hope we can debate this in a friendlier manner. The last two movies had about the same turnup in Box Office. Which is why they they made Afterlife for a lower budget. Had Afterlife's BO exceeded ATC we could expect a higher budget for Firehouse, but since this hasn't happened, we can expect about the same budget as Afterlife. Which is why I can make an educated guess they most probably won't do such a costworthy scene.
BatDan, RichardLess liked this
Alphagaia wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:46 pm Yeah, the tone of the post feels unnecessary.

I'll explain why I think the budget doesn't allow such a scene, but I hope we can debate this in a friendlier manner. The last two movies had about the same turnup in Box Office. Which is why they they made Afterlife for a lower budget. Had Afterlife's BO exceeded ATC we could expect a higher budget for Firehouse, but since this hasn't happened, we can expect about the same budget as Afterlife. Which is why I can make an educated guess they most probably won't do such a costworthy scene.
100%.
Not only is it costly but we need to remember why it worked so well in Afterlife(from a technical POV). Egon didn’t talk. He was also in a ghostly haze. You’ll notice you didn’t see Indy talk either in that trailer. As soon as they talk, the game is over. They are like 98% of the way there to making de ageing/photoreal cgi human work. But that final 2% is sooo important, it’s the soul. The people who do the deep fake stuff on YouTube are working on top of the work that was already done. Also YouTube is not how most people will see the movie. YouTube is compressed all to hell. That work will not hold up on a huge IMAX screen.
Also…Harrison Ford doesn’t sound like he did in 1981-‘89. The Mandalorian scenes with Luke completely fall apart as soon as his voice comes out. It’s emotionless. Robotic and monotone. Because Mark Hamil doesn’t sound like young Luke anymore they de aged his voice. So you’ve got 2 things right off the bat working against you.

I’m sure Firehouse will have a higher budget than Afterlife. That’s just the nature of sequels. I doubt it will be a huge increase tho.

De ageing the original actors would be a big mistake I think. I don’t see it working well for Comedy. I know a lot of fans want to see the OGBs shooting their proton packs for half the movie but that’s something those of you who want that will just have to let go. Be glad we got what we got. You are setting yourselves up for disappointment by wanting that.

And one more thing: Ernie Hudson straight up doesn’t need any de ageing. Slap a moustache on him with some hair dye and he’s 1984 Ernie in minutes. He sounds the same, looks the same. It’s a miracle of science. No 200 million dollar budget required. Just some hair dye.
DancingToaster liked this
I think it's fine for commercials within the movie. But if there's going to be any extended scenes I would prefer them use stand ins. In fact that would be a great way to introduce a new prequel series on TV. Using look alike stand ins in the movie for brief flash back scenes and giving the younger actors their own OG series after Fire House is released.
RichardLess wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 3:34 am
Alphagaia wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:46 pm Yeah, the tone of the post feels unnecessary.

100%.
Not only is it costly but we need to remember why it worked so well in Afterlife(from a technical POV). Egon didn’t talk. He was also in a ghostly haze. You’ll notice you didn’t see Indy talk either in that trailer. As soon as they talk, the game is over. They are like 98% of the way there to making de ageing/photoreal cgi human work. But that final 2% is sooo important, it’s the soul. The people who do the deep fake stuff on YouTube are working on top of the work that was already done. Also YouTube is not how most people will see the movie. YouTube is compressed all to hell. That work will not hold up on a huge IMAX screen.
Also…Harrison Ford doesn’t sound like he did in 1981-‘89. The Mandalorian scenes with Luke completely fall apart as soon as his voice comes out. It’s emotionless. Robotic and monotone. Because Mark Hamil doesn’t sound like young Luke anymore they de aged his voice. So you’ve got 2 things right off the bat working against you.

I’m sure Firehouse will have a higher budget than Afterlife. That’s just the nature of sequels. I doubt it will be a huge increase tho.

De ageing the original actors would be a big mistake I think. I don’t see it working well for Comedy. I know a lot of fans want to see the OGBs shooting their proton packs for half the movie but that’s something those of you who want that will just have to let go. Be glad we got what we got. You are setting yourselves up for disappointment by wanting that.

And one more thing: Ernie Hudson straight up doesn’t need any de ageing. Slap a moustache on him with some hair dye and he’s 1984 Ernie in minutes. He sounds the same, looks the same. It’s a miracle of science. No 200 million dollar budget required. Just some hair dye.
As far as OGs are concerned, my realistic expectations are totally up in the air …we were thrown a total curve ball with the last movie. So i have no idea what to expect next.

In a wish list type of way, at the very least i “hope” is we get some OG screentime that weaves into the main narrative a little cleaner.

One or two scenes with A) ogs and new cast with an equipment training process or B) a paranormal investigation with Ogs mentoring
My theory:

The kids go to NYC for some kind of field trip or holiday vacation. Their mom couldn't afford an apartment in Afterlife let alone one in NYC (unless she hit the lotto or she got a better job). Winston hasn't set up a new franchise/grand re-opening yet, I think we'll get that cliffhanger at the end when he opens the doors to new applicants.
IDK. I think Jasons going to think outside the box. Winston doesn't want to leave the farmhouse unattended for long so I'm sure there's going to be some major repair and modification being done to the place. He doesn't want to chance all those traps being opened by moving Gozer. Allowing the family to sell the Farmhouse may not be an option.

Winston and Ray may decide Gozer is too powerful to put in the containment unit. You'd be essentially giving your most hated enemy an army.

I think the family will still be occupying the farmhouse to some capacity. Will they be visiting the fire house? That's a given.

My prediction: One or both kids at the fire house, Grooberson is taking over Cat's position, Callie will be MIA or at the farmhouse with her own going ons. Podcast is a definite new recruit. Lucky is off to college or working on Peter's behalf to franchise the business to other states and countries.

Finn is either the new mechanic or studying to become one. If the fire house is reused expect the possibility of those junk cars on the property to being in the process of restoration. Maybe. The biblical postings will be replaced by Finn advertising his auto shop.

(I would love to see Jason hire Tim Burton to design the new farmhouse if it's going to be reused at all. Ray's going to borrow some construction ideas from Shandor. That itself could result in some interesting hijinks.)
Alphagaia wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:04 am If anything my guess is the family is going to live in the firehouse. Hijinks ensue when the container is leaking.

It will probably be more about saving the Firehouse than saving the city.
My money is on this guess.
https://deadline.com/2022/12/ghostbuste ... tid=Zxz2cZ

Gil will take over directing.

I wondered about this considering how emotional it be for Jason to step in again so soon.

Okay we have a director guys..with casting of new characters soon! Get ready, lets hope for another good one.

#ForIvan
Didn't Production Weekly say that before? That Gil was directing? I could've sworn...
BatDan liked this
Rookie99 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:56 pm I saw Monster House in theaters when I was a kid. Really fun movie. Gil directed that, and while animation directing is different from live action directing, I hope Gil can bring some of that energy to Firehouse.
He directed City of Ember and the Poltergeist remake. Varying degrees of quality but id say thats a decent dabbling of multiple genres (family adventure fantasy and horror) works for Ghostbusters.

However, the dry imrov comedy element seems to be missing from his repertoire and doesnt seem to be his forte.

Im still interested to see how he handles it.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he […]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]