Hello Haslab Pack Modders!

I just received my Haslab proton pack so am finally getting to playing around with that. The first thing I want to fix is pack's auto power down feature that really wants to shut down the pack. This powerdown feature is similar to the Hasbro Spengler Neutrona wand's sautomatic shutdown and I made a board to fix that a couple of years ago:
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48218

And this topic also looks like a great reference thread for additional Hasbro pack mods:
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50438

I am prototyping a new version of the Keep Alive board that is very similar to my Spengler Wand Keep Alive board, but will have these features:
1) Only installed in the Spengler Wand. Similar to the current small board and only has 8 wires that need to be soldered onto the main circuit board in the Spengler wand. No changes to the Hasbro Proton Pack.
2) Keeps the wand alive even if the rumble motor is running. The wand will only auto-shutdown if you fire too long. (new feature)
3) Keeps the Hasbro proton pack running indefinitely, even if the wand shuts down after firing too long.
4) Spengler wand can still turn off and on the Haslab proton pack. But the proton pack's built in timer will not allow the wand to start it up if the pack is powered down for 5 minutes because the pack will remove power from the wand!

Not really an "interest" thread, so I did not place this in the For Sale section. More of a feature/function discussion thread for something I do plan on offering in a few months. (And I have been bad at estimating lead times, so at least by this summer?!?)

So two main questions:
1) Does anyone want a similar circuit just for keeping the pack alive without a wand? So the only way to shut off the pack would be with the power switch (when not connected to the wand.)
2) Any other features wanted from the wand?
2.1) I have an idea on how to have the Spengler wand control a vent relay in the pack so you could add a smoke kit and then control it with the Spengler wand (with the keep alive board installed)
2.2) A way to extend the 5 minute pack shutoff so the wand could power up the pack even after 5 minutes? This would require something (haven't even looked into this yet) in the pack, so this cannot be done just from the board in the wand.
2.3) Anything else???
rolandblais, mike_waclo, Talyn and 5 others liked this
The only comment I have would be that it would be nice to NOT have the “fire too long shutoff” on the wand, as I’d quite like both things to be basically on and fully functional until off

Possibility of disabling general “pack” idling sounds (such that emit from the WAND speaker) from the wand so that only turn on, off and “shoot” sounds come off it?

And definitely to Number 1
I would personally want a way to keep the Pack on that can be installed via the pack itself...just because I'm a bit intimidated on opening the wand, and from what I've seen of reference photos, the pack itself seems straightforward to open up.

Of course, it's a "Git gud" scenario for me, but it's just something I'd like to see.
UEF liked this
This sounds amazing. My wish would be for one of these solutions to be simplified. Something that wouldn't take heavy modification skills or an electrical degree to install it. I would most likely just mess it up. Just something that can keep the pack on and still have control from the thrower.
trekgod3, roigroigroig liked this
I have a horrible connection between the pack and wand, and even if I have a faulty hose I can get replaced by Hasbro, I don't have much confidence in this connection holding up long term. I don't know how difficult it would be, but I would love if the wand could be more properly wired to the pack as if they were released together as a unit.
HickoryShampoo wrote: January 14th, 2023, 8:34 pm This sounds amazing. My wish would be for one of these solutions to be simplified. Something that wouldn't take heavy modification skills or an electrical degree to install it. I would most likely just mess it up. Just something that can keep the pack on and still have control from the thrower.
There may be a way to have the pack always on, but still allowing the wand to control it may be problematic if the wand keeps powering off, the pack would think you want it also powered off. Would you like it if the wand did not control the pack?
The pack only keep alive could also use the new "switch" on the crank generator that currently does not do anything.
Spongeface wrote: January 14th, 2023, 3:51 pm
1) Only installed in the Spengler Wand. Similar to the current small board and only has 8 wires that need to be soldered onto the main circuit board in the Spengler wand. No changes to the Hasbro Proton Pack.
2) Keeps the wand alive even if the rumble motor is running. The wand will only auto-shutdown if you fire too long. (new feature)
3) Keeps the Hasbro proton pack running indefinitely, even if the wand shuts down after firing too long.
4) Spengler wand can still turn off and on the Haslab proton pack. But the proton pack's built in timer will not allow the wand to start it up if the pack is powered down for 5 minutes because the pack will remove power from the wand!

YES!!!!! Definitely all these features you mentioned PLUS the vent relay would be an awesome bonus!
gamera1968 liked this
I would like it to be possible to send the audio from the wand to pack speaker like how your current sound blaster board with Spengler link does it. The wand speaker is so weak it’s hard hear the thrower audio especially when I modded the pack speakers. If the wand and pack could share the sound that comes out the pack speaker that would be great.
roigroigroig, Yanks1023 liked this
I would be interested in a full upgrade kit including sound amplification similar to what you offer for the Spirit Pack and Spengler wand. Keeping the cyclotron lights stock but reversing the direction if possible for Afterlife. I’m not an electronics engineer, so I don’t even know if that is possible. I’m not afraid of gutting the current electronics in favor of a system that works more seamlessly.
roigroigroig liked this
it would be useful (to insert in the backpack or in the gun):
1) to keep backpack and wand always on and add gb1/gb2 shutdown sound when everything goes off.
2) synchronize and amplify the sounds of the wand even in the backpack.
3) add wand grill sound from new movie. 4) make the cyclotron LEDs start slower at the start of ignition and after a few seconds, make them accelerate.
5) add overheat mode if you shoot for more than 30 seconds but without completely turning off the wand.
6) make the wand display go out gradually for a few seconds, and not all of a sudden.
7) add the 2 missing orange LEDs to be inserted manually, 1 next to the grill and the other at the tip of the Gun.
8 ) change the clockwise direction of the cyclotron leds by a switch to put in the proton pack
roigroigroig liked this
Spongeface wrote: January 14th, 2023, 3:51 pm Hello Haslab Pack Modders!

I just received my Haslab proton pack so am finally getting to playing around with that. The first thing I want to fix is pack's auto power down feature that really wants to shut down the pack. This powerdown feature is similar to the Hasbro Spengler Neutrona wand's sautomatic shutdown and I made a board to fix that a couple of years ago:

And this topic also looks like a great reference thread for additional Hasbro pack mods:

I am prototyping a new version of the Keep Alive board that is very similar to my Spengler Wand Keep Alive board, but will have these features:

Not really an "interest" thread, so I did not place this in the For Sale section. More of a feature/function discussion thread for something I do plan on offering in a few months. (And I have been bad at estimating lead times, so at least by this summer?!?)

So two main questions:
1) Does anyone want a similar circuit just for keeping the pack alive without a wand? So the only way to shut off the pack would be with the power switch (when not connected to the wand.)
2.1) I have an idea on how to have the Spengler wand control a vent relay in the pack so you could add a smoke kit and then control it with the Spengler wand (with the keep alive board installed)
2.2) A way to extend the 5 minute pack shutoff so the wand could power up the pack even after 5 minutes? This would require something (haven't even looked into this yet) in the pack, so this cannot be done just from the board in the wand.
2.3) Anything else???
Im ALL for 2.1 and 2.2. Vent relay for smoke, extend pack shutoff times, and if possible, amplify wand sounds?

Spongeface will come to our rescue for sure!!!
gamera1968 liked this
Spongeface wrote: January 14th, 2023, 3:51 pm Hello Haslab Pack Modders!

So two main questions:
2.3) Anything else???
I'm quite sure all of us would be interested to keep the wand and the pack running indefinitely, as long as we can turn the pack on and off via the Spengler neutrona wand - with minor soldering of course!
The original "Keep Alive" feature requires a lot of electronci knowledge so minor soldering or plug and play would work!
Please keep us posted, Spongface. :)
If I could have a wishlist of things I'd want, I would love:
- a way to extend the timer to restart the pack. (I'd love to up that to like an hour.)
- disable/modify shutdown timers (on both pack and wand). Even if it were just to be able to set the timers to something like 12 hours.
- enable/disable the overheat when firing (kind of a movie mode vs game mode if you will).
- an easy installation method with minimal soldering.
YES TO ALL THIS
So two main questions:
YES TO ALL THIS too! Having a separate piece for the pack so it doesn't shut off would be AMAZING.

Features I would add to the Pack part:
-Hability to connect a 12V battery and ditch the D cells.
-Ramp up the cyclotron light effect when turning on startingn slow and increasing speed in the next secconds?

Features I would add to the Wand part:
-Modify the sounds? I've seen a mod in here where its replicating the sound effects form Afterlife. Maybe having an option like this would be awesome
If I could wish, I would wish that I could take the spirit blaster from my Spirit pack along with my Spengler board-modded wand and use them both with the Hasbro pack. I love the great sound effects piped from the wand to the pack, GB theme, overheat sounds, and ability to power everything from a single Talentcell battery. Plus I would really like to be able to reuse the wand already modded.
This is growing to more of a full wishlist for the pack and making me want more features...
For much beyond the keep alive, it quickly progresses to replacing the existing electronics. That is always possible, but requires more time and effort and I am having a hard time finding those... If I win the lotto I will have much more time to work on this!

GBRain wrote: January 16th, 2023, 10:16 pm I would like it to be possible to send the audio from the wand to pack speaker like how your current sound blaster board with Spengler link does it. The wand speaker is so weak it’s hard hear the thrower audio especially when I modded the pack speakers. If the wand and pack could share the sound that comes out the pack speaker that would be great.
I would also like more volume from the pack, so not sure the current speaker/amplifier for the pack would be satisfying.

With new electronics, it would also be great to replace the Red only cyclotron lights with color addressable LEDs so it could track the wand mode. I still haven't figured out how to open up the cyclotron so this has been shifted down on my list of projects I want to do.

gamera1968 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:33 am ...
The original "Keep Alive" feature requires a lot of electronci knowledge so minor soldering or plug and play would work!
A lot of electronics knowledge? Are you referring to my kit? It should only require soldering 8 wires to the existing wand's circuit board with no changes to the wand's internal wiring, lights or switches.

For the future Keep alive boards I am looking into a no-soldering solution for the pack, but the wand still looks like a modified Spengler keep alive board, so some soldering to connect it in the same manor as the current keep alive board.
gamera1968 liked this
Spongeface wrote: January 20th, 2023, 10:02 pm This is growing to more of a full wishlist for the pack and making me want more features...
For much beyond the keep alive, it quickly progresses to replacing the existing electronics. That is always possible, but requires more time and effort and I am having a hard time finding those... If I win the lotto I will have much more time to work on this!

GBRain wrote: January 16th, 2023, 10:16 pm I would like it to be possible to send the audio from the wand to pack speaker like how your current sound blaster board with Spengler link does it. The wand speaker is so weak it’s hard hear the thrower audio especially when I modded the pack speakers. If the wand and pack could share the sound that comes out the pack speaker that would be great.
I would also like more volume from the pack, so not sure the current speaker/amplifier for the pack would be satisfying.

With new electronics, it would also be great to replace the Red only cyclotron lights with color addressable LEDs so it could track the wand mode. I still haven't figured out how to open up the cyclotron so this has been shifted down on my list of projects I want to do.

gamera1968 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:33 am ...
A lot of electronics knowledge? Are you referring to my kit? It should only require soldering 8 wires to the existing wand's circuit board with no changes to the wand's internal wiring, lights or switches.

For the future Keep alive boards I am looking into a no-soldering solution for the pack, but the wand still looks like a modified Spengler keep alive board, so some soldering to connect it in the same manor as the current keep alive board.
Thanks, Spongface! I do have some minor soldering skills, so it should be fine. :D
Please keep us posted when possible. I know it's a lot of work, but if anyone can put a kit together, it'd be you.
kahuna900 liked this
Wow. I should have looked closer at these boards years ago. It’s so cool to know there are other electrical engineers working on this stuff and brainstorming.

I just finished my “always on” plug and play unit for the pack today. Well… yesterday, it’s 2:26am. Gonna post a demo video on my page soon and start building em as soon as I get all the bulk parts in.
NoahVoiding wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:28 am Wow. I should have looked closer at these boards years ago. It’s so cool to know there are other electrical engineers working on this stuff and brainstorming.

I just finished my “always on” plug and play unit for the pack today. Well… yesterday, it’s 2:26am. Gonna post a demo video on my page soon and start building em as soon as I get all the bulk parts in.
What is this plug and play always alive mod you speak of? LOL....Need this. Please post soon!
NoahVoiding wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:28 am Wow. I should have looked closer at these boards years ago. It’s so cool to know there are other electrical engineers working on this stuff and brainstorming.

What's this? I'm very interested! Please show us when you can!! :O
First time posting. Like others should have found this place earlier. Got sucked in when I got my son a spirit Halloween pack and decided to mod it. Using Spongefaces boards (pack and wand) and directions (along with other mods) I got his pack in a sweet place. Saw his post for the hasbro pack (getting ours Tuesday) so I know it will be a sweet board and set up when he gets time to set it up and make it. Can’t wait and appreciate all the work people put into creating these setups. Looking forward to working on the Hasbro pack.
Yanks1023 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:54 am

What is this plug and play always alive mod you speak of? LOL....Need this. Please post soon!
Prototype Video is up on my Instagram
Playday_TNG
Starting production as soon as soon as all my bulk parts arrive.
gamera1968 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:17 am

What's this? I'm very interested! Please show us when you can!! :O
Prototype Video is up on my Instagram
Playday_TNG
Starting production as soon as soon as all my bulk parts arrive.

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]