gpstar wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:05 am Started implementing the sound effects. If you have any feature requests, let me know. I will be deep diving into the pack code over the next few days, including wand communication.

If anybody has better sound effects, particularly for when the ribbon cable is released and the alarm goes off, feel free to send them my way. At the moment I am just using venting beeps for now until something better can be found.

Gpstar, amazing work. I am desperate for this. I added the amp and speakers and got a awful mess. Used two batteries, and sounded great, until I plugged in both to charge. Now I have a static mess coming out of the haslab microcontroller board. Not sure what to do, but do exactly what you are doing. Replace the micro. Please post BOM, instructions, schematics, sound files. Thank you in advance. You are a God!
Yanks1023 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:01 pm
gpstar wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:05 am Started implementing the sound effects. If you have any feature requests, let me know. I will be deep diving into the pack code over the next few days, including wand communication.

If anybody has better sound effects, particularly for when the ribbon cable is released and the alarm goes off, feel free to send them my way. At the moment I am just using venting beeps for now until something better can be found.

Gpstar, amazing work. I am desperate for this. I added the amp and speakers and got a awful mess. Used two batteries, and sounded great, until I plugged in both to charge. Now I have a static mess coming out of the haslab microcontroller board. Not sure what to do, but do exactly what you are doing. Replace the micro. Please post BOM, instructions, schematics, sound files. Thank you in advance. You are a God!
I will post everything up when finished. I hope to have most of it done this upcoming week.

Some of the things I will be doing:
-Some wand sounds playing back over the pack during firing
-All of the Haslab features (84/2021 modes for both pack and wand), ribbon cable alarm, vibration toggle on/off for pack and wand.
-Cyclotron light rotation switch (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
-A smoke enabled/disabled switch, in case you do not want to install or disable smoke effects.
-Video game firing modes
-Venting/overheat mode only when the wand is at full power mode. (Smoke as well)
-Smoke during the ribbon cable alarm sequence??
-Music playback and control
-A settings mode from the wand where you can adjust volume, start stop music, independent music volume control, etc.
-Internal Cyclotron lights (**Something for later in the future, I plan to either 3D print a new cyclotron and put lights in it that will be controlled by the pack**)

The smoke stuff will be optional and not required but will have provisions for it in the code.
Corey91, Yanks1023 liked this
gpstar wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:54 am
kahuna900 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:12 am So, since you seem to be using the factory switches and LEDs, what are the odds of making this a plug and play option using the stock plugs instead of soldiering?
For the pack it will be plug and play. The wand will need soldering as Hasbro soldered most of the wires to the board. The other wand option is to 3D print one and stick the electronics into it. That is another plan I am going to do after all this is finished.
Will we need both? I'm probably okay with light soldering but anxious about busting open my wand.
TobinsGuide wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:38 pm

For the pack it will be plug and play. The wand will need soldering as Hasbro soldered most of the wires to the board. The other wand option is to 3D print one and stick the electronics into it. That is another plan I am going to do after all this is finished.
Will we need both? I'm probably okay with light soldering but anxious about busting open my wand.
In am designing it with wand communication, so ya at the moment you need to open up the Hasbro wand. Or use a 3D printed wand option instead of the Hasbro wand.

Soldering in the Hasbro wand isn’t too bad. Feeding the wires through the wand handle was the thing I hated the most.
Yanks1023 liked this
Spectregater wrote: January 25th, 2023, 11:56 am Sorry if it seems we are hijacking your thread gpstar.

So even with using two batteries I was getting a little feedback/noise from the speakers. I was able to eliminate it by hooking one wire from SPK0 on the board to either the left or right input on the amp and the other wire to the middle ground terminal. Of course that limits you to only one speaker so I added a short jumper wire between the left and right input on the amp. And now get sound from both speakers.
I of course tested that with only using one battery but it didn't fix the problem.

Oh well I've got nice clear sound now with no noise/interference by using two batteries so I'll just stick with that solution. Maybe now I can start on visual mods.
Same situation here. That is taking the mono signal and outputting it to stereo on the amp. I had great sound as well, until I plugged in the batteries to charge them. Heard a buzz and now I have hash on the signal. Even if I take it back to stock and remove amp completely, its sounds a static mess at high volume on the haslab speaker. Otherwise, I can stream via the aux cable to the amp and it sounds great. Its just the signal coming from the haslab board now.
kahuna900 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:12 am So, since you seem to be using the factory switches and LEDs, what are the odds of making this a plug and play option using the stock plugs instead of soldiering?
I am not a coder whatsoever. A plug and play board, with preloaded code for the pack would be amazing. Take my money.
Yanks1023 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:28 pm

I am not a coder whatsoever. A plug and play board, with preloaded code for the pack would be amazing. Take my money.
Something for the pack can be done easily. The wand is going to require soldering / desoldering no matter what. Which is why I am thinking of a wand modding service for people who do not feel comfortable in doing it. Or one can go the 3d printed wand route.
More progress today (see video below)
-Added wand / pack communication.
-The Pack amplifies the wand's firing sound effects when firing the wand. (only the firing effects, not the others)
-Polyphonic music playback. (through both wand and pack speakers)
-Prototype settings menu controlled from the wand (used to play music and stop, volume control, etc). I will add more such as loop music, do not loop, switch tracks, independent music volume control, pack volume control and other misc settings.
-1984 and 2021 modes for both pack and wand are linked together by the pack toggle switch.
-Vibration added to wand when pack vibration is enabled.
-Tweaked the shutdown sequences timings.
-Alarm switch mode when the ribbon cable is removed will leave the lights running on the cyclotron but in a very slow mode. In 1984 mode they flash on/off. In 2021 mode it ramps down very slowly.

Tomorrow I will work more on the pack/wand communication and build out the wand settings control some more, and try to get around to adding the video game firing modes and overheat mode when the wand is on high setting (setting 5 on the bargraph).

Future plans are LEDs in the switch compartment in the cyclotron (i want to 3d print this, or original piece can be modded), lights in the cyclotron which match the cyclotron cover lights which will look good when the cyclotron cover is removed and one decides to run the pack without it. Will get around to smoke triggers from the board at some point.

Anything else I am missing?
Darren Carnall, Corey91, GBKid1984 and 2 others liked this
What the heck, dude. You're playing with a "toy" and you're outperforming Hasbro and probably a lot of expensive complicated kits. The multitasking and layering of sound elements and animation is impressive and you're not even done.

I notice a lot of light/sound/feedback kits are custom made/proprietaryish. It would be unbelievable if you were essentially making a more open and customizable option that could not only work in this pack, but almost any, but I'm not sure if that's possible since you seem to be tapping into the Hasbro Pack's microcontroller. The options would mean any GB fan could easily make their equipment function anyway they like with a few parameter changes. But I'm putting the cart before the horse and fantasizing uncontrollably. Enjoying watching you work and enjoying the exciting progress whatever happens.

You've gone way beyond what I could imagined possible.
gpstar, Yanks1023 liked this
GBKid1984 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 1:29 pm What the heck, dude. You're playing with a "toy" and you're outperforming Hasbro and probably a lot of expensive complicated kits. The multitasking and layering of sound elements and animation is impressive and you're not even done.

I notice a lot of light/sound/feedback kits are custom made/proprietaryish. It would be unbelievable if you were essentially making a more open and customizable option that could not only work in this pack, but almost any, but I'm not sure if that's possible since you seem to be tapping into the Hasbro Pack's microcontroller. The options would mean any GB fan could easily make their equipment function anyway they like with a few parameter changes. But I'm putting the cart before the horse and fantasizing uncontrollably. Enjoying watching you work and enjoying the exciting progress whatever happens.

You've gone way beyond what I could imagined possible.
It can be used in any pack, it would only need minor code tweaks for different light setups and switches.
GBKid1984, Yanks1023 liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I'm just loving the progress you're making on the scratch-built solution. The only change I would make in implementing it would be to remove the constant beep in the wand except when the knob up top is being used. That beep would drive me nuts in short order being 6 inches behind my ear.

I have a question for the brain-trust here for folks that have tried the other mods gpstar described early on. I was able to easily get my pack working on a USB power bank, but now my pack has no sound after trying to pipe audio out to an external amp. I read how a number of you folks had bad audio when using the 12v power from the same bank as the 5v USB, but it all went to normal after disconnecting.
I hadn't read those messages yet when I hooked mine up. I have the same Talentcell that gpstar listed. I hooked up the USB to the pack board, and then the 12v to the amp. The board I got has a power switch, and it was not powered on at the time.
This is the amp board I have- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDGDKRW?ps ... ct_details

Ever since I hooked it all together, now I have no useful sound from my pack. If I put my ear next to the speaker, I can hear the same distorted sound that others are getting on their packs when the amp and USB are coming from the same source. That's the only sound it gives now, regardless of the parts I have connected. I'm afraid that somehow the 12v routed from the amp, down the wires to the speaker 2 leads on the board and burned something out.
Does anyone have ideas or seen similar results?
At this point I'm thinking that I'll have to implement pgstar's all-original setup he's doing now to even get sound back.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

dankramer1138 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:37 am I'm just loving the progress you're making on the scratch-built solution. The only change I would make in implementing it would be to remove the constant beep in the wand except when the knob up top is being used. That beep would drive me nuts in short order being 6 inches behind my ear.

I have a question for the brain-trust here for folks that have tried the other mods gpstar described early on. I was able to easily get my pack working on a USB power bank, but now my pack has no sound after trying to pipe audio out to an external amp. I read how a number of you folks had bad audio when using the 12v power from the same bank as the 5v USB, but it all went to normal after disconnecting.
I hadn't read those messages yet when I hooked mine up. I have the same Talentcell that gpstar listed. I hooked up the USB to the pack board, and then the 12v to the amp. The board I got has a power switch, and it was not powered on at the time.
This is the amp board I have- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDGDKRW?ps ... ct_details

Ever since I hooked it all together, now I have no useful sound from my pack. If I put my ear next to the speaker, I can hear the same distorted sound that others are getting on their packs when the amp and USB are coming from the same source. That's the only sound it gives now, regardless of the parts I have connected. I'm afraid that somehow the 12v routed from the amp, down the wires to the speaker 2 leads on the board and burned something out.
At this point I'm thinking that I'll have to implement pgstar's all-original setup he's doing now to even get sound back.
Sounds like you fried your sound card. A lot of people have been doing this recently by attempting the amp mod. I FINALLY just figured out how to install an amp the way the OP did it without feedback/static etc. It was a ***** to figure out. My only theory as to how the OP was able to get no feedback was that his amp was perfectly broken? Because the pics of how his is wired up looks nothing like how mine is wires up. His looks to be wired up exactly how you would wire up this amp if you were feeding it a stereo signal, and outputting it to two speakers for stereo sound… but that’s impossible since the sound from the control board is mono. IDK 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ve seen weirder **** in the world of electronics and audio magically work too, so 👏👏👏 I applaud the OP. This one had me stumped for over a week. And yes, I’ll eventually release a video on my IG, on how I got it to work on one battery source as the OP. But that will be after the plug-&-play always on mod release Thursday. That seems to be the one everyone wants NOW. lol 🚫👻

dankramer1138 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:37 am I'm just loving the progress you're making on the scratch-built solution. The only change I would make in implementing it would be to remove the constant beep in the wand except when the knob up top is being used. That beep would drive me nuts in short order being 6 inches behind my ear.

By the way. You could always just hardwire your wand to the pack and run the sound from the wand as the new pack sound. But that would all depend on how you plan to use your pack I guess. Would be great for the OG light mode. 🚫👻

It sounds like we are in the same boat here. I used one battery for amp and and one for the pack and got awful static and "alarm" sounds every time the powercell ramped up. So I used a second battery, one for amp and one for pack. Sounded amazing! Until I plugged in the talentcells to charge them. Now Im getting exactly what you describe - no useful sounds coming from the pack. So Ive been ordering the parts Gpstar is using and awaiting his bill of material, schematics, sound files and code. He is doing Gods work and with his kind of expertise and help, Im confident we can get our packs back up to snuff.
The constant beep I am replicating the Afterlife wand in the film as it does that. However I will only have it when the wand / pack is in 2021 mode. In 1984 mode I will remove the beep. A easier solution for removing the beep if you do this mod, is just remove the beep file off the sdcard so nothing is played as well. But for now I will keep it in for 2021 mode to replicate the film and in 1984 mode I will remove it.

Yanks1023 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:25 am

It sounds like we are in the same boat here. I used one battery for amp and and one for the pack and got awful static and "alarm" sounds every time the powercell ramped up. So I used a second battery, one for amp and one for pack. Sounded amazing! Until I plugged in the talentcells to charge them. Now Im getting exactly what you describe - no useful sounds coming from the pack. So Ive been ordering the parts Gpstar is using and awaiting his bill of material, schematics, sound files and code. He is doing Gods work and with his kind of expertise and help, Im confident we can get our packs back up to snuff.
Did you have either of your talentcell batteries hardwired to your pack? Cause tallentcell batteries have to be “on” in order to charge. And if the pack isn’t completely “off”, but in standby mode, and you plug the charger in while the tallent cell is still supplying voltage to the pack and amp… AH!! I know what’s going on. No wonder everyone is frying their boards/sound cards. Oof. Yeah. That’s a costly oversight. Thank goodness Op used that disclaimer.
Yanks1023 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:07 am One battery was hardwired from 5v to the main haslab board and the other was wired from 12v to the amp. It should charge the 12v and trickle charge the 5v. I had shut off both batteries to charge them, so pack shouldve been completely off. Still not sure what happened.
One way to check is to put a meter on the USB out wires to see if there is a surge when a charger is connected. It would be odd that it would surge, but you never know.
Yanks1023 liked this
Built up the settings menu. Using the 5 LEDs on the bargraph to navigate, you can start/stop music, next track or previous track, setting a track to loop, independent volume control for the music, overall volume control for the pack/wand.

I configured things so you can have up to 900 different tracks of music on your sdcard if you wanted.

kahuna900, georgenovak liked this
So it looks like the red pack switch or the Activate wand switch can turn everything on (or off?) regardless of the other switches position?

I like where you are going with the extra features and a “settings” mode but here’s a crazy idea I had just come to me, is there an alternate Arduino board that has Bluetooth so maybe instead we could connect our packs to our phone running a basic custom app that is control panel? I realize this will be costlier route and require an app to be made but damn it would be cool.
I found a amp with bluetooth capability, and I have a aux Bluetooth recieiver, so I think Ill go either route. Id rather have control of tracks/playlists right from my phone versus the wand. Great idea, but personally I dont think Id use it. Maybe on the off chance my phone isnt around, which is hardly ever.
gpstar, jonogunn liked this
gpstar wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:42 am Built up the settings menu. Using the 5 LEDs on the bargraph to navigate, you can start/stop music, next track or previous track, setting a track to loop, independent volume control for the music, overall volume control for the pack/wand.

I configured things so you can have up to 900 different tracks of music on your sdcard if you wanted.

Very impressive. I have yet to open my wand so a full breakdown of how to get both the wand and pack like this will be invaluable. I missed any prerequisites that need to be done to the wand.
gpstar wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:28 am
The constant beep I am replicating the Afterlife wand in the film as it does that. However I will only have it when the wand / pack is in 2021 mode. In 1984 mode I will remove the beep. A easier solution for removing the beep if you do this mod, is just remove the beep file off the sdcard so nothing is played as well. But for now I will keep it in for 2021 mode to replicate the film and in 1984 mode I will remove it.
hey gp. when using this set up for my custom pack can i easily swap in neopixel led sticks and ring for the powercell/cyclotron lights?
Yanks1023 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:15 am I found a amp with bluetooth capability, and I have a aux Bluetooth recieiver, so I think Ill go either route. Id rather have control of tracks/playlists right from my phone versus the wand. Great idea, but personally I dont think Id use it. Maybe on the off chance my phone isnt around, which is hardly ever.
FYI I have an amp with bluetooth as well and I ran into issues with it .

When connected to a wall power source and booted up it'll prioritize the direct input from the sound fx card (which is what you want for the sound effects obviously). Then if you decide to connect bluetooth to your phone it'll take over until you turn off bluetooth.

However when it's connected to my blue brick 12v battery it prioritizes bluetooth upon turning on the amp.

I never got around to figuring out why and thought I'd just have to abandon it so just something to keep in mind.

Also obviously with the bluetooh option you can only do the pack sound inputs or your phone music and not both at the same time.

Would be cool if the sound fx card had bluetooth enabled too. or I'd take a 3.5mm jack input and connect to a phone thatt way

NoahVoiding wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:03 am

By the way. You could always just hardwire your wand to the pack and run the sound from the wand as the new pack sound. But that would all depend on how you plan to use your pack I guess. Would be great for the OG light mode. 🚫👻
SOOO i finally got time to getting around with some of his mods as I was also gonna make a video on how but after reading all these horror stories I'm a bit scared now!

Should I attempt the battery/amp mod at this point?
Peeno wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:45 am So it looks like the red pack switch or the Activate wand switch can turn everything on (or off?) regardless of the other switches position?

I like where you are going with the extra features and a “settings” mode but here’s a crazy idea I had just come to me, is there an alternate Arduino board that has Bluetooth so maybe instead we could connect our packs to our phone running a basic custom app that is control panel? I realize this will be costlier route and require an app to be made but damn it would be cool.
Correct on the red switch. It toggles the pack on or off and the wand activate switch turns the pack on or off as well. Only the wand can turn itself on. The pack can turn off the wand though.

There are Bluetooth modules, maybe in the future I will think about it.
Peeno liked this
jonogunn wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:33 am
gpstar wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:28 am

hey gp. when using this set up for my custom pack can i easily swap in neopixel led sticks and ring for the powercell/cyclotron lights?
If it is using a data pin and 5v then ya, it would just need some changes in the code.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]