Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 7:42 am At the risk of sounding ungrateful, because I love me some fresh new pics, but maybe they had to figure out how to put watermarks in it and that's why it took two weeks to post.

/S
Yes you're right. It takes 2 weeks to figure out how to watermark images. Holy shit wow.

Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 7:56 am I appreciate the new pics, can't wait for all this deleted material to surface.

I also appreciate the halloween countdown and teases of more stuff to come...

...but the watermarks are silly. Michigan Ghostbusters have zero claim over those photos.

The watermarks are to establish credit for the find at first. Yes someone will reverse image search which is fine, but it's not "these are pictures by us" but to prevent other groups on social media swiping the pics directly of our posts and passing them as their own discovery. You'll often see franchises do that, thus groups watermark.

Ghostbusters Mexico comes to mind off the top of my head of another team that watermarks their images all the time as well.

Hope that helps.
By mrmichaelt
I think deadderek has received enough input. Anyway, let's please go back to talking about the actual deleted scenes. Or how Vinz needs a better agent because yet again his antics while possessing a male human were left on the cutting room floor. :P
deadderek liked this
By RichardLess
Very cool pics and cheers for finding and sharing them.

Honestly, the movie is pushing two hours already. Just judging by the pictures I’ve seen most of those are probably best left on the cutting room floor.

That’s one of the issues of this movie. Time management. It needs more but I don’t know what I’d cut to make room & I think a Ghostbusters movie pushing 2 hours is at about the limits of the form. Comedies should be shorter. Granted one could make the argument…this movie isn’t a comedy. In fact, I would make that argument but that’s a whole other thing.

Just as a friendly heads up? As a general rule one probably shouldnt put watermarks on something you had nothing to do with. It’s just a good rule to live by. Instead next time I recommend crediting the source of the picture from the get go, like Alpha did. It’s always good karma. That way when you credit the source, a watermark isn’t needed.
Alphagaia, seekandannoy liked this
By mrmichaelt
RichardLess wrote: November 6th, 2022, 1:29 am Very cool pics and cheers for finding and sharing them.

Honestly, the movie is pushing two hours already. Just judging by the pictures I’ve seen most of those are probably best left on the cutting room floor.

That’s one of the issues of this movie. Time management. It needs more but I don’t know what I’d cut to make room & I think a Ghostbusters movie pushing 2 hours is at about the limits of the form. Comedies should be shorter. Granted one could make the argument…this movie isn’t a comedy. In fact, I would make that argument but that’s a whole other thing.
Sure, but it's fun to see the complete picture and see how the film evolved into its final version for ourselves. Seeing the preview cut for the first movie was illuminating, for example.
RichardLess wrote: November 6th, 2022, 1:29 am Just as a friendly heads up? As a general rule one probably shouldnt put watermarks on something you had nothing to do with. It’s just a good rule to live by. Instead next time I recommend crediting the source of the picture from the get go, like Alpha did. It’s always good karma. That way when you credit the source, a watermark isn’t needed.
Once again, I would like this line of discussion to conclude. Any further input should be directed to the Michigan Ghostbusters on their social media accounts or I believe their email is still: theteam@michiganghostbusters.com. From this point on, I will delete posts.
deadderek liked this
By deadderek
I wonder if the Grooberson keymaster part was cut for time, or because they felt it just wasn't coming off funny enough? Or maybe it came off too cheesy?
deadderek wrote:I wonder if the Grooberson keymaster part was cut for time, or because they felt it just wasn't coming off funny enough? Or maybe it came off too cheesy?
If the scene plays out like the Tully’s conversation with the horse in GB then maybe they thought it was too similar to the original? If so I’m glad they cut it because the last thing Afterlife needs is more callbacks to GB1.
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote: November 6th, 2022, 8:01 am I wonder if the Grooberson keymaster part was cut for time, or because they felt it just wasn't coming off funny enough? Or maybe it came off too cheesy?
I think it was cut for time. I would guess by that point in the movie they wanted to roll into the final act focus on the kids in the mine discovering the pit, the dates, Shandor, putting it all together, finding Callie possessed by Zuul, the big flow of ghosts, Zuul and Vinz. This scene probably stopped that momentum they were going for down to a lurch. It was probably hilarious but just stopped the narrative in its tracks.
deadderek liked this
By Creativeguy
I read somewhere the first cut of this film was 3 hours? I can't seem to remember where I read it. I really wish they'd release an extended cut because as much as I liked the film it felt rushed and left a lot to be desired in some aspects. I feel like it was definitely cut too short
By mrmichaelt
Creativeguy wrote:I read somewhere the first cut of this film was 3 hours? I can't seem to remember where I read it. I really wish they'd release an extended cut because as much as I liked the film it felt rushed and left a lot to be desired in some aspects. I feel like it was definitely cut too short
That's correct. See the first post of this thread, I have a link and quote of that. But basically, Jason said it was well over 3 hours but an editor said it was 2 hours and 56 minutes.
deadderek, Creativeguy liked this
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: November 9th, 2022, 6:28 am They could both be right, as it depends on when Jason passed the cut on to him or her.
Also there’s always some confusion when talking about this stuff. Was Jason talking about an Assembly cut? Which is all the footage shot and the editor was talking about a literal first cut which would be one step removed from the assembly cut? Some people don’t consider the assembly cut to be the “first cut” since it’s just everything there is. So I’d assume that’s the difference between the two. Jason meant the AC and the editor meant his first pass through all that. That’s my guess anyways
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
By mrmichaelt
On their livestream, YHS mentioned during the Dec. 12 masterclass session, Jason or Gil mentioned there was a deleted sub-plot about Janine trying to figure out what to do with Egon's ashes.
https://youtu.be/13GLbnWUzcY?t=965

Makes sense. There was the deleted scene and then in the cookbook, there was a shot of Winston's office where the box could be seen. Perhaps this was the reason Janine was visiting everyone. I think someone posted in the Afterlife news thread at some point someone on the crew said the two credits tags were in the middle of the movie or something like that.

EDIT: Back on January 6, 2022 (note we don't know who the user is or how legit etc.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/ ... &context=3

"Main part I thought was interesting was that both end credit scenes were longer and were actual scenes in the film. I was confused seeing them as end stingers tbh."
Alphagaia, deadderek, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
By DancingToaster
mrmichaelt wrote: December 16th, 2022, 1:50 am On their livestream, YHS mentioned during the Dec. 12 masterclass session, Jason or Gil mentioned there was a deleted sub-plot about Janine trying to figure out what to do with Egon's ashes.

Makes sense. There was the deleted scene and then in the cookbook, there was a shot of Winston's office where the box could be seen. Perhaps this was the reason Janine was visiting everyone. I think someone posted in the Afterlife news thread at some point someone on the crew said the two credits tags were in the middle of the movie or something like that.
I wonder when in the movie this would have gone; before she talks to Callie? If then, would they have explained why Ray didn't know (unless that was changed when Janine's subplot was)?

Poor Janine deserved better. They seemed to have originally planned for her to appear at the house at the end, but for some reason she was left out, even though she was apparently the one person who stayed in contact with Egon. I also feel that they could have had her figure out early on that he was haunting the house. For example, having her subtly "assisted" in finding the coin while she's talking to Callie in the deleted scene (and not being surprised by it, hinting at earlier knowledge). She pokes a bit of fun at this idea in that scene, but it could still have worked if she knew for sure, but decided not to mention it because she didn't necessarily know the direness of the situation, and it might scare the family off or make them think she was crazy. This information could also have been useful if she was responsible for (or tasked with) "getting the band back together."
By mrmichaelt
Also from the NFT Watch Party, Jim revealed:
https://extraplasm.podbean.com/e/episod ... s-stewart/

-19:34: The argument between Phoebe and Callie after the police station ended with Callie smashing the P.K.E. Meter in frustration. Test audiences hated Callie for doing it so they cut it. But in the actual movie you will see the repaired screen of the P.K.E. Meter preserved in later scenes.

-23:03: Podcast's jump drive was originally scripted as a Hello Kitty brand one but they couldn't get the licensing agreement in place.
jonogunn, RedSpecial liked this
By Kingpin
mrmichaelt wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 7:39 pm -19:34: The argument between Phoebe and Callie after the police station ended with Callie smashing the P.K.E. Meter in frustration. Test audiences hated Callie for doing it so they cut it. But in the actual movie you will see the repaired screen of the P.K.E. Meter preserved in later scenes.
Ahhhh! Nice to know the context of the scene where Phoebe's soldering it, and it's more damaged appearance when we get a closer look at it after Callie/Zuul's jumped out the window.

I'm glad they cut that bit actually, I it would've been an indefensible/irredeemable act by Callie.
mrmichaelt, zeta otaku, SpaceBallz and 3 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
On page 32 of Egon's Journal that comes with the Hasbro Haslab Spengler's Proton Pack, there is a photo of Callie that actually originates from a deleted scene that takes place during Chapter 4 after she leaves Wertheimers Hardware. (In the Summoning the Spirit featurette on the Blu-ray, there's a snippet of it where she is walking back to her car holding a paper bag and can of paint when Sheriff Domingo is looking at her car)
Kingpin wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 6:01 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 7:39 pm -19:34: The argument between Phoebe and Callie after the police station ended with Callie smashing the P.K.E. Meter in frustration. Test audiences hated Callie for doing it so they cut it. But in the actual movie you will see the repaired screen of the P.K.E. Meter preserved in later scenes.
Ahhhh! Nice to know the context of the scene where Phoebe's soldering it, and it's more damaged appearance when we get a closer look at it after Callie/Zuul's jumped out the window.

I'm glad they cut that bit actually, I it would've been an indefensible/irredeemable act by Callie.
Agreed. I do really like Callie's character, and I can understand a lot of her frustrations with her past, but I feel like that would've been very jarring to see in the film. I do hope that we get a deluxe release of the film soon with all of the deleted scenes. I think they'd be very interesting to see, especially from the viewpoint of how they could've potentially changed the feel of the final product.
Kingpin, DancingToaster liked this
Missed this back last August. In an interview, Mckenna Grace revealed "I learned how to do a Rubix cube in under five minutes for Ghostbusters: Afterlife and we didn't end up using it, but that was a lot of fun."
http://thehoneypop.com/2022/08/18/exclu ... ty-trauma/

I would guess this during the driving scene to Spinners and the first day of summer school. Phoebe had a Rubik's cube then. And in that same scene there's a deleted bit of Callie advising her to wink to let people know she's joking. Probably part of that excised material.
By mrmichaelt
On Francois Audouy's case studies section for Afterlife on his website, one of the images he has (located in the second set of slides), is a POV of Phoebe looking at the cover of Tobin's Spirit Guide on her bed. It's likely from between the quick cut of Trevor returning to the car at Spinners and Phoebe in her bed reading when the chess set 'falls' on the floor. So beyond the shadow of a doubt 100% confirms that's what she was reading and probably the best look of the cover in-universe besides all the bts photos we've seen.
https://www.audouy.com/case-studies/gho ... afterlife/
https://www.audouy.com/wp-content/uploa ... -17187.jpg
Kingpin, deadderek liked this
By deadderek
I'm still annoyed we got 1 deleted scene. I'll bet Egon's farm that we get more with the 40th anniversary box set though.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote:I'm still annoyed we got 1 deleted scene. I'll bet Egon's farm that we get more with the 40th anniversary box set though.
Agreed on both counts. Though I'd settle for a reissued Afterlife Steelbook with a ton of deleted scenes, storyboards, commentary track, and the assembly cut. A guy can have an insane dream, lol. Let's hope we see this assembly cut before we're in our 80s.
Kingpin, deadderek liked this
By mrmichaelt
Mckenna Grace told a different joke each take for a scene Phoebe told a joke and Jason Reitman chose the ones he liked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVhkBEq1rs
Fandom Spotlite "GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE McKenna Grace Panel – Steel City Con Dec 2023" 21:43-22:20 mark, posted 12/17/2023

"I loved whenever we're going down the elevator because I thought it was so cool they actually had us in this elevator that was way off the ground and we had all our flashlights and Logan who plays Podcast and I had learned Morse code while we were on set - we were always learning random things - and so we'd be flashing our flashlights and trying to spell out and while we were going down the elevator I got to tell all of my own jokes cuz I did that throughout the film was all the jokes I would tell, different ones every single take and whatever ended up in the film was just Jason's favorite."

That'd be a great special feature, just a reel of all the jokes she told. Hopefully on the next ultimate set.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]