Write a quick introduction to introduce yourself.
Hello GB fans. I joined the forum after a couple of months following the home page news. I saw the Ghostbusters movie when I was a child so I grew up on this series since the beginning. I won the recent RGB series set and I think I still have the Ecto-1 and Firehouse toys somewhere. My main interest is the infamous Tobin's Spirit Guide. I hope someday 'the original' will get published since the GBI version is only a piece of the real deal.

In my spare time, the most relevant thing to animation that I do is I own and operate DCAU Resource, a fansite dedicated to DC Comics Animation. I've recently toyed with the idea of creating a Spirit Guide using Microsoft Excel. I was motivated to do so after going through The Video Game and all those Classifications and data got me going again.

Also, props to whoever can name the episode I quoted from in the Subject line.
One time, sil liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: June 30th, 2009, 5:56 pm Hello GB fans. I joined the forum after a couple of months following the home page news. I saw the Ghostbusters movie when I was a child so I grew up on this series since the beginning. I won the recent RGB series set and I think I still have the Ecto-1 and Firehouse toys somewhere. My main interest is the infamous Tobin's Spirit Guide. I hope someday 'the original' will get published since the GBI version is only a piece of the real deal.

In my spare time, the most relevant thing to animation that I do is I own and operate DCAU Resource, a fansite dedicated to DC Comics Animation. I've recently toyed with the idea of creating a Spirit Guide using Microsoft Excel. I was motivated to do so after going through The Video Game and all those Classifications and data got me going again.

Also, props to whoever can name the episode I quoted from in the Subject line.
Well, better late than never so…welcome Mr!

MrmichaelT is a GB fan AND a DCAU fan? Are you me?

Let’s ask some DCAU Q’s. Some deeep dive DCAU questions as well.

Ok. What’s your fav DCAU show? What do you feel is the most underrated DCAU show? Who do you prefer as Superman George Newborn or Tim Daly? What do you think of the redesign of BTAS to TNBA?

And one final question: Favourite opening theme song of the DCAU?(this is a hard one for me).

Bonus question: Top 3 episodes of your fav DCAU SHOW and Top 5 episodes of DCAU as a whole.
RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pm Ok. What’s your fav DCAU show?
That's tough. It fluctuates between Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League Unlimited. (If you meant any animated DC show ever, then Young Justice and I'm looking forward to Batman: Caped Crusader, My Adventures with Superman, Harley Quinn season 4, and Creature Commandos).

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmWhat do you feel is the most underrated DCAU show?
Probably Zeta Project. It was a great take on The Fugitive and helped expand the Beyond era but it got hampered by studio interference.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmWho do you prefer as Superman George Newborn or Tim Daly?
That's another difficult one to answer. Daly was amazing. Newbern really found his Superman voice in Justice League season 2 and on. Newbern's performance in For the Man Who Has Everything? Hard to not say. I lean towards Newbern nowadays.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmWhat do you think of the redesign of BTAS to TNBA?
Didn't care for it then but it was in the long run, it necessary to get to JL/JLU's look. I like that it streamlined things and moved DCAU away from that 80s 'realistic' animated look. I still to this day hate the TNBA Joker design in particular but starting in the Return of the Joker flashback and on, the new look was awesome. The TNBA Scarecrow was creepy as hell though. There was some good and some bad in the redesign.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmAnd one final question: Favourite opening theme song of the DCAU?(this is a hard one for me).
The theme used for the brief rebrand of Batman: The Animated Series they called The Adventures of Batman and Robin towards the end of the run. The theme in TNBA was really hauntingly good, too (but so lame they didn't use it for each episode in the DVD set - pretty sure it was the old BTAS one and you could see the TNBA one once if you set the DVD to play all).

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pm Bonus question: Top 3 episodes of your fav DCAU SHOW and Top 5 episodes of DCAU as a whole.
1. Divided We Fall

2. Flash and Substance

3. Task Force X

1. Apokolips...Now! Part Two

2. For The Man Who Has Everything

3. A Bullet for Bullock

4. The Late Mr. Kent

5. Out of the Past
RichardLess liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:32 pm
RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pm Ok. What’s your fav DCAU show?
That's tough. It fluctuates between Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League Unlimited. (If you meant any animated DC show ever, then Young Justice and I'm looking forward to Batman: Caped Crusader, My Adventures with Superman, Harley Quinn season 4, and Creature Commandos).

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmWhat do you feel is the most underrated DCAU show?
Probably Zeta Project. It was a great take on The Fugitive and helped expand the Beyond era but it got hampered by studio interference.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmWho do you prefer as Superman George Newborn or Tim Daly?
That's another difficult one to answer. Daly was amazing. Newbern really found his Superman voice in Justice League season 2 and on. Newbern's performance in For the Man Who Has Everything? Hard to not say. I lean towards Newbern nowadays.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmWhat do you think of the redesign of BTAS to TNBA?
Didn't care for it then but it was in the long run, it necessary to get to JL/JLU's look. I like that it streamlined things and moved DCAU away from that 80s 'realistic' animated look. I still to this day hate the TNBA Joker design in particular but starting in the Return of the Joker flashback and on, the new look was awesome. The TNBA Scarecrow was creepy as hell though. There was some good and some bad in the redesign.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pmAnd one final question: Favourite opening theme song of the DCAU?(this is a hard one for me).
The theme used for the brief rebrand of Batman: The Animated Series they called The Adventures of Batman and Robin towards the end of the run. The theme in TNBA was really hauntingly good, too (but so lame they didn't use it for each episode in the DVD set - pretty sure it was the old BTAS one and you could see the TNBA one once if you set the DVD to play all).

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:37 pm Bonus question: Top 3 episodes of your fav DCAU SHOW and Top 5 episodes of DCAU as a whole.
1. Divided We Fall

2. Flash and Substance

3. Task Force X

1. Apokolips...Now! Part Two

2. For The Man Who Has Everything

3. A Bullet for Bullock

4. The Late Mr. Kent

5. Out of the Past
Oooh those are some great choices.

I prefer Tim Daly over GN. GN is good but for me…he just doesn’t have that softness as Clark and his Superman can be a bit too aggressive at times. T

My own fav DCAU shows are BTAS, STAS and JLU. Justice League unlimited is so good. That entire Cadmus arc is just wonderful. The Question? Oh man. They coukdve just kept that show going endlessly. They had such rich characters.

Yeah the TNBA theme your referring to is when the show was paired up with Superman I think for an hour long programming block on Kids WB. The DVD set(something they didn’t keep for the blu ray) allowed you to chose which opening you wanted.

Shirley Walker is just…amazing. The music in certain episodes of Batman The Animated series are as good, if not better, than any movie. The Grey Ghost theme is one of my favourite themes for anything ever. And it was used once. Once!

It did my heart good to see “The Late Mr Kent” on your list. That episode is so good. What an ending. Apocalypse Now Part 2 is also a great one. They’d make my list as well.

I’ve enjoyed live action adaptations of Superman but I still don’t feel like we’ve had the definitive depiction. As far as on screen Superman is concerned, it’s never been better than DCAU imo. You could take all 3 parts of “The Last Son of Krypton” & expand it a bit & you’d have a WONDERFUL Superman live action film. When he learns to fly? The music? It gives me chills. I liked Man of Steel but they missed the grace, awe and wonder within Superman. How did you feel about it?

Choosing a favourite theme is hard. But if I had a gun to my head I might say Justice League. It’s just so wonderful. So memorable and perfectly heroic.It always blows my mind how these cartoons had better themes and music than many of the live action comic book movies. I also love the New Adventures of Batman & Robin theme(aka Shirley Walkers Batman theme).

Yeah people forget about Zeta Project. It never really felt like part of the DCAU tho due to the re design. I guess I’d answer Static Shock. Tho part of me wants to say STAS because I still feel like that show was never given it’s due. It isn’t lauded or remembered quite like BTAS. But I love it endlessly.

I was looking forward to the new Bruce Timm Batman show. Then we lost Kevin & my enthusiasm dropped. Plus I feel like those shows were the collection of right people at right time. Alan Burnett. Paul Dini. The late Dwayne Mcduffie or James Tucker. Dan RIba, Eric Rodomski.

You mentioned Young Justice. I love those first two seasons. Especially the first. I quit during season 4. It just had lost the plot completely and I think skipping over so much time between seasons was a big mistake in hindsight.

What are your feelings on the Terry McGinnis twist in “Epilouge”? Some fans hate it , others really hate it. Some like it. I change my mind every so often.
mrmichaelt liked this
RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pm I prefer Tim Daly over GN. GN is good but for me…he just doesn’t have that softness as Clark and his Superman can be a bit too aggressive at times.
Yeah, that's a valid critique.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmThat entire Cadmus arc is just wonderful. The Question? Oh man. They coukdve just kept that show going endlessly. They had such rich characters.
Agreed! Cadmus was so well done and the late Dwayne McDuffie did the research bts to tie in all the old shows, too. Question was such a break out hit with me, too. Jeffrey Combs did an excellent job voicing him.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pm Yeah the TNBA theme your referring to is when the show was paired up with Superman I think for an hour long programming block on Kids WB. The DVD set(something they didn’t keep for the blu ray) allowed you to chose which opening you wanted.
Right, something like that. WB noticed STAS ratings weren't where they wanted it or whatever so they ordered a new Batman episodes to make the new block version.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmShirley Walker is just…amazing. The music in certain episodes of Batman The Animated series are as good, if not better, than any movie. The Grey Ghost theme is one of my favourite themes for anything ever. And it was used once. Once!
For sure. Shirley Walker's direction made BTAS. Exactly, some themes only were used once but had such impact. Man, that reminds me. When Grey Ghost is taken to the Batcave and he utters 'well, it wasn't all for nothing...'

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmIt did my heart good to see “The Late Mr Kent” on your list. That episode is so good. What an ending. Apocalypse Now Part 2 is also a great one. They’d make my list as well.
I just loved how noir The Late Mr. Kent of STAS was. Apokolips...Now! was of the great hat tips to Jack Kirby and Dan Turpin stepping up in Part 2 and the shock of him being killed off and Superman losing it.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmI’ve enjoyed live action adaptations of Superman but I still don’t feel like we’ve had the definitive depiction. As far as on screen Superman is concerned, it’s never been better than DCAU imo. You could take all 3 parts of “The Last Son of Krypton” & expand it a bit & you’d have a WONDERFUL Superman live action film. When he learns to fly? The music? It gives me chills. I liked Man of Steel but they missed the grace, awe and wonder within Superman. How did you feel about it?
I feel the same way about the live action Supermen. I'm looking forward to see who they cast for Legacy. Definitely, just adapt Last Son of Krypton. Loved how part 1 was mainly starring Jor-El. Loved how they tied the DCAU Brainiac into Krypton.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmChoosing a favourite theme is hard. But if I had a gun to my head I might say Justice League. It’s just so wonderful. So memorable and perfectly heroic.It always blows my mind how these cartoons had better themes and music than many of the live action comic book movies. I also love the New Adventures of Batman & Robin theme(aka Shirley Walkers Batman theme).
Agreed, another great theme.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pm Yeah people forget about Zeta Project. It never really felt like part of the DCAU tho due to the re design. I guess I’d answer Static Shock. Tho part of me wants to say STAS because I still feel like that show was never given it’s due. It isn’t lauded or remembered quite like BTAS. But I love it endlessly.
Yeah, but at least people cite Static Shock a lot. Though personally, the wagon fell off in the last season and I disliked the finale so much. Tried to tie too many things up in a short amount of time. Hated the idea that HotStreak and Ebon got merged into a big kaiju.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmI was looking forward to the new Bruce Timm Batman show. Then we lost Kevin & my enthusiasm dropped. Plus I feel like those shows were the collection of right people at right time. Alan Burnett. Paul Dini. The late Dwayne Mcduffie or James Tucker. Dan RIba, Eric Rodomski.
Kevin Conroy's passing was a tough one. I get why he preferred to keep it to himself. I only recall some rumors he voiced Thomas Wayne in Caped Crusader but that was never confirmed. Agreed, definitely right people at the right time. Pretty nuts to think they were juggling TNBA, STAS, and BB at the same time at one point in production.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmYou mentioned Young Justice. I love those first two seasons. Especially the first. I quit during season 4. It just had lost the plot completely and I think skipping over so much time between seasons was a big mistake in hindsight.
Yeah, the focus on mental health struggles in season 4 were both lauded and disliked by the fanbase depending on who you asked. I was surprised at how big an arc Beast Boy had in both season 3 and 4. I appreciated that they pivoted to the original Team members for season 4 in each arc but yeah, at times it felt a bit too much trying to be both character and story driven when it should be just one. I think the bigger mistake is not giving the property enough tie-in material to fill in the time skips. The comics and game did a lot though. Should be mini-series, specials, and movies between seasons. The time skips don't bother me but I do miss the focus on just the Team and their covert missions.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmWhat are your feelings on the Terry McGinnis twist in “Epilouge”? Some fans hate it , others really hate it. Some like it. I change my mind every so often.
I was cool with it. I liked the symmetry of even though Waller didn't execute her plan completely, Terry still ended up becoming Batman - that it was meant to be. Warren and Mary McGinnis are still his parents, imo, and being Bruce's genetic son doesn't negate them. But he in the end he chose to diverge from the legacy and be happy, too, asking Dana to marry him. I get how some argue it took some agency out of his life or the notion that anybody could stumble into the Batcave and take up the mantle if they had the drive and heart. I'd still be down for a JLU Beyond series that fills in the gap between BB+TZP and Epilogue. Did you watch/read the recent canon stuff like the Justice League vs. Fatal Five DTV or the
Justice League Infinity comic?
mrmichaelt wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:27 pm
RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pm I prefer Tim Daly over GN. GN is good but for me…he just doesn’t have that softness as Clark and his Superman can be a bit too aggressive at times.
Yeah, that's a valid critique.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmThat entire Cadmus arc is just wonderful. The Question? Oh man. They coukdve just kept that show going endlessly. They had such rich characters.
Agreed! Cadmus was so well done and the late Dwayne McDuffie did the research bts to tie in all the old shows, too. Question was such a break out hit with me, too. Jeffrey Combs did an excellent job voicing him.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pm Yeah the TNBA theme your referring to is when the show was paired up with Superman I think for an hour long programming block on Kids WB. The DVD set(something they didn’t keep for the blu ray) allowed you to chose which opening you wanted.
Right, something like that. WB noticed STAS ratings weren't where they wanted it or whatever so they ordered a new Batman episodes to make the new block version.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmShirley Walker is just…amazing. The music in certain episodes of Batman The Animated series are as good, if not better, than any movie. The Grey Ghost theme is one of my favourite themes for anything ever. And it was used once. Once!
For sure. Shirley Walker's direction made BTAS. Exactly, some themes only were used once but had such impact. Man, that reminds me. When Grey Ghost is taken to the Batcave and he utters 'well, it wasn't all for nothing...'

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmIt did my heart good to see “The Late Mr Kent” on your list. That episode is so good. What an ending. Apocalypse Now Part 2 is also a great one. They’d make my list as well.
I just loved how noir The Late Mr. Kent of STAS was. Apokolips...Now! was of the great hat tips to Jack Kirby and Dan Turpin stepping up in Part 2 and the shock of him being killed off and Superman losing it.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmI’ve enjoyed live action adaptations of Superman but I still don’t feel like we’ve had the definitive depiction. As far as on screen Superman is concerned, it’s never been better than DCAU imo. You could take all 3 parts of “The Last Son of Krypton” & expand it a bit & you’d have a WONDERFUL Superman live action film. When he learns to fly? The music? It gives me chills. I liked Man of Steel but they missed the grace, awe and wonder within Superman. How did you feel about it?
I feel the same way about the live action Supermen. I'm looking forward to see who they cast for Legacy. Definitely, just adapt Last Son of Krypton. Loved how part 1 was mainly starring Jor-El. Loved how they tied the DCAU Brainiac into Krypton.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmChoosing a favourite theme is hard. But if I had a gun to my head I might say Justice League. It’s just so wonderful. So memorable and perfectly heroic.It always blows my mind how these cartoons had better themes and music than many of the live action comic book movies. I also love the New Adventures of Batman & Robin theme(aka Shirley Walkers Batman theme).
Agreed, another great theme.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pm Yeah people forget about Zeta Project. It never really felt like part of the DCAU tho due to the re design. I guess I’d answer Static Shock. Tho part of me wants to say STAS because I still feel like that show was never given it’s due. It isn’t lauded or remembered quite like BTAS. But I love it endlessly.
Yeah, but at least people cite Static Shock a lot. Though personally, the wagon fell off in the last season and I disliked the finale so much. Tried to tie too many things up in a short amount of time. Hated the idea that HotStreak and Ebon got merged into a big kaiju.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmI was looking forward to the new Bruce Timm Batman show. Then we lost Kevin & my enthusiasm dropped. Plus I feel like those shows were the collection of right people at right time. Alan Burnett. Paul Dini. The late Dwayne Mcduffie or James Tucker. Dan RIba, Eric Rodomski.
Kevin Conroy's passing was a tough one. I get why he preferred to keep it to himself. I only recall some rumors he voiced Thomas Wayne in Caped Crusader but that was never confirmed. Agreed, definitely right people at the right time. Pretty nuts to think they were juggling TNBA, STAS, and BB at the same time at one point in production.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmYou mentioned Young Justice. I love those first two seasons. Especially the first. I quit during season 4. It just had lost the plot completely and I think skipping over so much time between seasons was a big mistake in hindsight.
Yeah, the focus on mental health struggles in season 4 were both lauded and disliked by the fanbase depending on who you asked. I was surprised at how big an arc Beast Boy had in both season 3 and 4. I appreciated that they pivoted to the original Team members for season 4 in each arc but yeah, at times it felt a bit too much trying to be both character and story driven when it should be just one. I think the bigger mistake is not giving the property enough tie-in material to fill in the time skips. The comics and game did a lot though. Should be mini-series, specials, and movies between seasons. The time skips don't bother me but I do miss the focus on just the Team and their covert missions.

RichardLess wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pmWhat are your feelings on the Terry McGinnis twist in “Epilouge”? Some fans hate it , others really hate it. Some like it. I change my mind every so often.
I was cool with it. I liked the symmetry of even though Waller didn't execute her plan completely, Terry still ended up becoming Batman - that it was meant to be. Warren and Mary McGinnis are still his parents, imo, and being Bruce's genetic son doesn't negate them. But he in the end he chose to diverge from the legacy and be happy, too, asking Dana to marry him. I get how some argue it took some agency out of his life or the notion that anybody could stumble into the Batcave and take up the mantle if they had the drive and heart. I'd still be down for a JLU Beyond series that fills in the gap between BB+TZP and Epilogue. Did you watch/read the recent canon stuff like the Justice League vs. Fatal Five DTV or the
Justice League Infinity comic?
It’s funny you mention Beast Boy in YJ. I don’t think I’ve ever gone from loving a character to disliking him quite like this. I loved him in Season 2. The whole “noted” thing? He was terrific. But then they did a time skip and his voice changed, mixed with the actor thing…I couldn’t stand it. They did do that amazing episode, I can’t remember the title, where in Gar’s mind a parody of Teen Titans Go happens. I thought that was awesome. But beyond that…I started really disliking characters I use to love. Megaan. They totally overlooked Aqualad.

Yeah I saw Fatal Five. It was…ok. I was really disappointed they kind of didn’t tie in Supergirl and how she left to join the future in JLU.

I would’ve liked one more big hurrah that included all the main OG cast members. It always drove me crazy they didn’t make more DTV movies. The fandom is there. We want it. And we’ve had some of the great comic book DTV films from that canon. Return of the Joker is awesome. I still have a heard time rewatching TNBA because knowing what happens to that sweet Tim Drake just breaks my heart.

I have a weird relationship with TNBA. I kind of avoided it for years because I remember being so against the redesign. To the point where I hadn’t even seen some of the episodes. I didn’t give it another chance until blu ray and…it was so great having new episodes of Batman to dig into. I’m so glad I waited because it was like discovering an old friend and I actually started loving the redesigns(minus Joker. What were they thinking?). Like I had the complete series on dvd for years and I’d only rewatch the original 85 episodes + Over the Edge, Sins of the Father & Madlove. Those are the only 3 TNBA episodes I’d watched. So when I got the blu ray I finally dug in and now some of my fav episodes are from that era. I still wish they’d have kept Bruce’s regular voice tho. He sounds so different as Bruce. But like you say, the TNBA Scarecrow is probably the best he’s ever looked anywhere. And Coombs’s chilly voice just makes him so inhuman.

The only comics I’ve been reading for DCAU are the “Batman Continues Series” that Paul Dini and Alan Burnett are doing. Again, if your WB…why would you not make more episodes?(pre Kevin Conroy’s passing).

How do you feel about the DCAU going forward? Should it rest with Kevin or continue on? The only way I could see it continuing is a Batman Beyond series where Terry is Batman without Bruce’s help. That might be pretty poignant too. Terry finally takes the mantle of Batman for himself and has no Bruce is talk him thru things. They could do a lot with that.

It’s hard too because for so long I wanted them to continue the DCAU. But now…like so many fans, Kevin Conroy IS my Batman. He’s the voice I hear in my head.

After Kevin passed I rewatched Mask of the Phantasm, probably my favourite Batman movie in any form, and I got to *the*scene. I’m sure you know which one. The graveyard scene. Where he begs his parents to let him go be happy. I just lost it. Even describing it now I’ve gotta keep the tears at bay. I’m just glad at the end he knew he was THE Batman for so many. And always will be.
RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am It’s funny you mention Beast Boy in YJ. I don’t think I’ve ever gone from loving a character to disliking him quite like this. I loved him in Season 2. The whole “noted” thing? He was terrific. But then they did a time skip and his voice changed, mixed with the actor thing…I couldn’t stand it. They did do that amazing episode, I can’t remember the title, where in Gar’s mind a parody of Teen Titans Go happens. I thought that was awesome. But beyond that…I started really disliking characters I use to love. Megaan. They totally overlooked Aqualad.
I've seen that sentiment a lot. Season 3 Beast Boy was on top of the world. Season 4, he hit rock bottom but finally admitted to his personal demons. Yeah, that was a season 3 episode, Nightmare Monkeys. Yeah, Kaldur was more sidelined in season 3, to be expected once they revealed he joined the Justice League, but thankfully had a bigger role in season 4.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am Yeah I saw Fatal Five. It was…ok. I was really disappointed they kind of didn’t tie in Supergirl and how she left to join the future in JLU.
Agreed, it was ok. Eh, I just assumed Supergirl and the rest of the absent members of the Legion were off-world on a mission at the time. They help out the universe, not just Earth.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am I would’ve liked one more big hurrah that included all the main OG cast members. It always drove me crazy they didn’t make more DTV movies. The fandom is there. We want it. And we’ve had some of the great comic book DTV films from that canon. Return of the Joker is awesome. I still have a heard time rewatching TNBA because knowing what happens to that sweet Tim Drake just breaks my heart.
Yeah, once Bruce Timm started producing those DC Universe DTV movies the suits for whatever reason wanted to put some distance between the DCAU and create new material. But he got some stuff in there. One could argue JL: Gods and Monsters is an AU DCAU like the Justice Lords. And well, that Batman and Harley Quinn movie, a lot of disagreement if its canon or AU. I go with the latter.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am I have a weird relationship with TNBA. I kind of avoided it for years because I remember being so against the redesign. To the point where I hadn’t even seen some of the episodes. I didn’t give it another chance until blu ray and…it was so great having new episodes of Batman to dig into. I’m so glad I waited because it was like discovering an old friend and I actually started loving the redesigns(minus Joker. What were they thinking?). Like I had the complete series on dvd for years and I’d only rewatch the original 85 episodes + Over the Edge, Sins of the Father & Madlove. Those are the only 3 TNBA episodes I’d watched. So when I got the blu ray I finally dug in and now some of my fav episodes are from that era. I still wish they’d have kept Bruce’s regular voice tho. He sounds so different as Bruce. But like you say, the TNBA Scarecrow is probably the best he’s ever looked anywhere. And Coombs’s chilly voice just makes him so inhuman.
Growing Pains is another gem in TNBA. But then they got kinda odd ball with some, like Critters...

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am The only comics I’ve been reading for DCAU are the “Batman Continues Series” that Paul Dini and Alan Burnett are doing. Again, if your WB…why would you not make more episodes?(pre Kevin Conroy’s passing).
Yeah, another one I consider AU because they made so many canon mistakes it's more like a 'what if we reboot TNBA in 2022' than a continuation of the DCAU. Justice League Infinity is more of a canon continuation. One of the producers, James Tuckers, and one of the guest writers and comic book legend J.M. DeMatteis wrote that one. Highly recommend it. Takes place between the JLU finale and JL vs Fatal Five.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am How do you feel about the DCAU going forward? Should it rest with Kevin or continue on? The only way I could see it continuing is a Batman Beyond series where Terry is Batman without Bruce’s help. That might be pretty poignant too. Terry finally takes the mantle of Batman for himself and has no Bruce is talk him thru things. They could do a lot with that.

It’s hard too because for so long I wanted them to continue the DCAU. But now…like so many fans, Kevin Conroy IS my Batman. He’s the voice I hear in my head.
I'd rather they stop but there are stories they could still tell ones that don't involve Batman like they could tell the other story taking place off-screen in JL vs FF, the conflict on Rann against the Dominators. The origin story of Miss Martian. JL Beyond. Supergirl with the Legion. Terry stories set after Epilogue or Bruce's passing. I know a lot of people were hoping for the Near Apocalypse of '09 to be revealed, but I figure it would have been similar to Demon's Quest, just Ra's got closer to his goal. And they could continue the JL Infinity comic. Idk, I'm conflicted. I was okay with being done after the JLU finale. But material like Infinity really surprised me with some things I don't want to spoil.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am After Kevin passed I rewatched Mask of the Phantasm, probably my favourite Batman movie in any form, and I got to *the*scene. I’m sure you know which one. The graveyard scene. Where he begs his parents to let him go be happy. I just lost it. Even describing it now I’ve gotta keep the tears at bay. I’m just glad at the end he knew he was THE Batman for so many. And always will be.
Agreed! MOTP is my favorite Batman movie, too. One of the best scenes. One of my all time favorite scenes is just how Alfred reacts and steps back when he sees Bruce put on the mask for the first time in the Batcave.
mrmichaelt wrote: May 30th, 2023, 5:09 pm
RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am It’s funny you mention Beast Boy in YJ. I don’t think I’ve ever gone from loving a character to disliking him quite like this. I loved him in Season 2. The whole “noted” thing? He was terrific. But then they did a time skip and his voice changed, mixed with the actor thing…I couldn’t stand it. They did do that amazing episode, I can’t remember the title, where in Gar’s mind a parody of Teen Titans Go happens. I thought that was awesome. But beyond that…I started really disliking characters I use to love. Megaan. They totally overlooked Aqualad.
I've seen that sentiment a lot. Season 3 Beast Boy was on top of the world. Season 4, he hit rock bottom but finally admitted to his personal demons. Yeah, that was a season 3 episode, Nightmare Monkeys. Yeah, Kaldur was more sidelined in season 3, to be expected once they revealed he joined the Justice League, but thankfully had a bigger role in season 4.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am Yeah I saw Fatal Five. It was…ok. I was really disappointed they kind of didn’t tie in Supergirl and how she left to join the future in JLU.
Agreed, it was ok. Eh, I just assumed Supergirl and the rest of the absent members of the Legion were off-world on a mission at the time. They help out the universe, not just Earth.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am I would’ve liked one more big hurrah that included all the main OG cast members. It always drove me crazy they didn’t make more DTV movies. The fandom is there. We want it. And we’ve had some of the great comic book DTV films from that canon. Return of the Joker is awesome. I still have a heard time rewatching TNBA because knowing what happens to that sweet Tim Drake just breaks my heart.
Yeah, once Bruce Timm started producing those DC Universe DTV movies the suits for whatever reason wanted to put some distance between the DCAU and create new material. But he got some stuff in there. One could argue JL: Gods and Monsters is an AU DCAU like the Justice Lords. And well, that Batman and Harley Quinn movie, a lot of disagreement if its canon or AU. I go with the latter.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am I have a weird relationship with TNBA. I kind of avoided it for years because I remember being so against the redesign. To the point where I hadn’t even seen some of the episodes. I didn’t give it another chance until blu ray and…it was so great having new episodes of Batman to dig into. I’m so glad I waited because it was like discovering an old friend and I actually started loving the redesigns(minus Joker. What were they thinking?). Like I had the complete series on dvd for years and I’d only rewatch the original 85 episodes + Over the Edge, Sins of the Father & Madlove. Those are the only 3 TNBA episodes I’d watched. So when I got the blu ray I finally dug in and now some of my fav episodes are from that era. I still wish they’d have kept Bruce’s regular voice tho. He sounds so different as Bruce. But like you say, the TNBA Scarecrow is probably the best he’s ever looked anywhere. And Coombs’s chilly voice just makes him so inhuman.
Growing Pains is another gem in TNBA. But then they got kinda odd ball with some, like Critters...

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am The only comics I’ve been reading for DCAU are the “Batman Continues Series” that Paul Dini and Alan Burnett are doing. Again, if your WB…why would you not make more episodes?(pre Kevin Conroy’s passing).
Yeah, another one I consider AU because they made so many canon mistakes it's more like a 'what if we reboot TNBA in 2022' than a continuation of the DCAU. Justice League Infinity is more of a canon continuation. One of the producers, James Tuckers, and one of the guest writers and comic book legend J.M. DeMatteis wrote that one. Highly recommend it. Takes place between the JLU finale and JL vs Fatal Five.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am How do you feel about the DCAU going forward? Should it rest with Kevin or continue on? The only way I could see it continuing is a Batman Beyond series where Terry is Batman without Bruce’s help. That might be pretty poignant too. Terry finally takes the mantle of Batman for himself and has no Bruce is talk him thru things. They could do a lot with that.

I'd rather they stop but there are stories they could still tell ones that don't involve Batman like they could tell the other story taking place off-screen in JL vs FF, the conflict on Rann against the Dominators. The origin story of Miss Martian. JL Beyond. Supergirl with the Legion. Terry stories set after Epilogue or Bruce's passing. I know a lot of people were hoping for the Near Apocalypse of '09 to be revealed, but I figure it would have been similar to Demon's Quest, just Ra's got closer to his goal. And they could continue the JL Infinity comic. Idk, I'm conflicted. I was okay with being done after the JLU finale. But material like Infinity really surprised me with some things I don't want to spoil.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:51 am After Kevin passed I rewatched Mask of the Phantasm, probably my favourite Batman movie in any form, and I got to *the*scene. I’m sure you know which one. The graveyard scene. Where he begs his parents to let him go be happy. I just lost it. Even describing it now I’ve gotta keep the tears at bay. I’m just glad at the end he knew he was THE Batman for so many. And always will be.
Agreed! MOTP is my favorite Batman movie, too. One of the best scenes. One of my all time favorite scenes is just how Alfred reacts and steps back when he sees Bruce put on the mask for the first time in the Batcave.
Growing Pains! That’s so good. So sad. Old Wounds is another great one. Ultimate Thrill is a really fun episode too. Torch Song has some terrific set pieces. Critters is a really bad episode. Critters and Love is a Croc are a step down. Love is a Croc really annoys me because they undid that perfect ending for “Babydoll”.
Jokers Millions is probably the funniest episode of the entire run.

One highlight of the redesign is all the animation and episodes look fantastic. The first 65 episodes of BTAS had such varying quality in animation. Sometimes we get classic gems like Heart of Ice, Robin’s Reckoning Part 1 or Feat of Clay Part 2 and other times the animation would be kinda sloppy like Cat and the Claw. Thankfully when the show was retitled the The Adventures of Batman & Robin they knew which animation houses they could trust. Those last 20 episodes before TNBA all look stellar. But TNBA, especially in HD, those episodes just pop. With the blood red sky?

Oddly enough one of my favourite episodes, just from a visual standpoint, is Sideshow. I love seeing Batman out in nature. The colours are just jaw dropping wonderful. The greens and the browns. It has had airbrushed on dark paper look. It’s not the best script but the animation and visuals…wow.

Showdown is another great one. Once again this little animated series totally outdoes a big studio live action movie. Jonah Hex could’ve and should’ve been great. It’s one of those rare movies where I didn’t even make it all the way thru. It was so bad. A shame too because Josh Brolin was perfect casting(tho personally I liked the guy who played the Villain in the first Avatar movie. I always thought he could be Jonah Hex. Stephen Lang)

That’s one of my biggest disappointments with the latter DCAU. I’m a huge proponent of traditional cell animation and ink & paint. The switch from the amazingly lush backgrounds and smooth animation to the digital style in Justice League is jarring. Especially that first season. When I see how beautiful Batman TAS and Superman TAS look…mixed with that music? Justice League just feels like a step down. Of course by the time JLU came around the technology had become a little better and we got better colours but I miss that old style. The modern Fleischer style.
RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm Growing Pains! That’s so good. So sad. Old Wounds is another great one. Ultimate Thrill is a really fun episode too. Torch Song has some terrific set pieces. Critters is a really bad episode. Critters and Love is a Croc are a step down. Love is a Croc really annoys me because they undid that perfect ending for “Babydoll”. Jokers Millions is probably the funniest episode of the entire run.
Yeah, if you haven't already, look for a Batman Adventures: Lost Years trade, it was written by the late Hilary Bader one of the staff writers on TNBA. They adapted Sins of the Father and Old Wounds from it. Plus, it contains Dick Grayson's story, what he was up to after he quit. Holiday Knights was adapted from a winter annual Timm and co. worked on - everything got adapted from it except a Mr. Freeze story.

Yeah, I'm not fond of Love is a Croc either. Ultimate Thrill was amusing. They got away with some stuff in that one.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm One highlight of the redesign is all the animation and episodes look fantastic. The first 65 episodes of BTAS had such varying quality in animation. Sometimes we get classic gems like Heart of Ice, Robin’s Reckoning Part 1 or Feat of Clay Part 2 and other times the animation would be kinda sloppy like Cat and the Claw. Thankfully when the show was retitled the The Adventures of Batman & Robin they knew which animation houses they could trust. Those last 20 episodes before TNBA all look stellar. But TNBA, especially in HD, those episodes just pop. With the blood red sky?
Yeah, a trained eye could tell which as Akom, Sunrise, DR Movie, etc. and if they put their a-team, b-team, or farmed it out - in terms of quality. lol. Yeah, TNBA was pretty good except for some off-models every now and then.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm Oddly enough one of my favourite episodes, just from a visual standpoint, is Sideshow. I love seeing Batman out in nature. The colours are just jaw dropping wonderful. The greens and the browns. It has had airbrushed on dark paper look. It’s not the best script but the animation and visuals…wow.
True that. Taking Batman out of his usual element always felt special in the BTAS run. Pretty sure Sideshow was adapted from a 70s Dennis O'Neil comic but Timm and co subbed in Croc as the main baddie.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm Showdown is another great one. Once again this little animated series totally outdoes a big studio live action movie. Jonah Hex could’ve and should’ve been great. It’s one of those rare movies where I didn’t even make it all the way thru. It was so bad. A shame too because Josh Brolin was perfect casting(tho personally I liked the guy who played the Villain in the first Avatar movie. I always thought he could be Jonah Hex. Stephen Lang)
Yup, another great one. They were going to do another one like that with Ra's in WWI and it involved Enemy Ace but they ran out of time to do it. There was even a canon story Timm and co. did in another Batman Adventures annual that revealed how Batman and Jason Blood/Etrigan first met (they hint at it briefly in the Etrigan TNBA episode) - and it involves Ra's.

Good thing Hex didn't make Brolin quit CBMs for good... I recall he hated production on Jonah Hex.

If they ever got to do another live action Jonah Hex. Hmm, funnily I could see Jon Bernthal. Norman Reedus, maybe. But I'd have to think if any other actors come to mind. Get Taylor Sheridan to write and direct (I may be biased as I watched Yellowstone for this first time this past weekend lol).
RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm That’s one of my biggest disappointments with the latter DCAU. I’m a huge proponent of traditional cell animation and ink & paint. The switch from the amazingly lush backgrounds and smooth animation to the digital style in Justice League is jarring. Especially that first season. When I see how beautiful Batman TAS and Superman TAS look…mixed with that music? Justice League just feels like a step down. Of course by the time JLU came around the technology had become a little better and we got better colours but I miss that old style. The modern Fleischer style.
Agreed, the switch to digital took some getting used to. On a related note, it's pretty funny but Timm recently said he's only 1 of 2 people at WB Animation that still uses paper for art. Everyone else is on the tablets and computers. It's a shame. Yeah! I just watched that Fleischer Blu-ray release that came out earlier this month, the animation they pulled off in the 1940s, mind boggling!
mrmichaelt wrote: May 30th, 2023, 10:17 pm
RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm Growing Pains! That’s so good. So sad. Old Wounds is another great one. Ultimate Thrill is a really fun episode too. Torch Song has some terrific set pieces. Critters is a really bad episode. Critters and Love is a Croc are a step down. Love is a Croc really annoys me because they undid that perfect ending for “Babydoll”. Jokers Millions is probably the funniest episode of the entire run.
Yeah, if you haven't already, look for a Batman Adventures: Lost Years trade, it was written by the late Hilary Bader one of the staff writers on TNBA. They adapted Sins of the Father and Old Wounds from it. Plus, it contains Dick Grayson's story, what he was up to after he quit. Holiday Knights was adapted from a winter annual Timm and co. worked on - everything got adapted from it except a Mr. Freeze story.

Yeah, I'm not fond of Love is a Croc either. Ultimate Thrill was amusing. They got away with some stuff in that one.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm One highlight of the redesign is all the animation and episodes look fantastic. The first 65 episodes of BTAS had such varying quality in animation. Sometimes we get classic gems like Heart of Ice, Robin’s Reckoning Part 1 or Feat of Clay Part 2 and other times the animation would be kinda sloppy like Cat and the Claw. Thankfully when the show was retitled the The Adventures of Batman & Robin they knew which animation houses they could trust. Those last 20 episodes before TNBA all look stellar. But TNBA, especially in HD, those episodes just pop. With the blood red sky?
Yeah, a trained eye could tell which as Akom, Sunrise, DR Movie, etc. and if they put their a-team, b-team, or farmed it out - in terms of quality. lol. Yeah, TNBA was pretty good except for some off-models every now and then.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm Oddly enough one of my favourite episodes, just from a visual standpoint, is Sideshow. I love seeing Batman out in nature. The colours are just jaw dropping wonderful. The greens and the browns. It has had airbrushed on dark paper look. It’s not the best script but the animation and visuals…wow.
True that. Taking Batman out of his usual element always felt special in the BTAS run. Pretty sure Sideshow was adapted from a 70s Dennis O'Neil comic but Timm and co subbed in Croc as the main baddie.

RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm Showdown is another great one. Once again this little animated series totally outdoes a big studio live action movie. Jonah Hex could’ve and should’ve been great. It’s one of those rare movies where I didn’t even make it all the way thru. It was so bad. A shame too because Josh Brolin was perfect casting(tho personally I liked the guy who played the Villain in the first Avatar movie. I always thought he could be Jonah Hex. Stephen Lang)
Yup, another great one. They were going to do another one like that with Ra's in WWI and it involved Enemy Ace but they ran out of time to do it. There was even a canon story Timm and co. did in another Batman Adventures annual that revealed how Batman and Jason Blood/Etrigan first met (they hint at it briefly in the Etrigan TNBA episode) - and it involves Ra's.

Good thing Hex didn't make Brolin quit CBMs for good... I recall he hated production on Jonah Hex.

If they ever got to do another live action Jonah Hex. Hmm, funnily I could see Jon Bernthal. Norman Reedus, maybe. But I'd have to think if any other actors come to mind. Get Taylor Sheridan to write and direct (I may be biased as I watched Yellowstone for this first time this past weekend lol).
RichardLess wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm That’s one of my biggest disappointments with the latter DCAU. I’m a huge proponent of traditional cell animation and ink & paint. The switch from the amazingly lush backgrounds and smooth animation to the digital style in Justice League is jarring. Especially that first season. When I see how beautiful Batman TAS and Superman TAS look…mixed with that music? Justice League just feels like a step down. Of course by the time JLU came around the technology had become a little better and we got better colours but I miss that old style. The modern Fleischer style.
Agreed, the switch to digital took some getting used to. On a related note, it's pretty funny but Timm recently said he's only 1 of 2 people at WB Animation that still uses paper for art. Everyone else is on the tablets and computers. It's a shame. Yeah! I just watched that Fleischer Blu-ray release that came out earlier this month, the animation they pulled off in the 1940s, mind boggling!
Here’s an interesting question. So the DCAU team thought they were continuing on with TNBA until they got that infamous meeting with the WB exec asking for a kid version of Batman which resulted in Batman Beyond. If you could get more TNBA episodes, would you sacrifice Batman Beyond?

All these unmade Batman episodes, how far did they get? Were scripts written? If so Have you read them?

The Taylor Sheridan idea is perfect. Before you suggested it I was thinking Nick Pizzolatto but Sheridan is way better. I can’t say I’m a huge Yellowstone fan(I’ve only seen the first episode) but I am a huge fan of Sicarrio & Hell or high water.

It’s interesting you mentioned the Fleischer blu rays. Is it as bad as I’m hearing? Everywhere I read it’s being discussed in really negative ways. That the DNR has erased so much detail, the audio. The BTAS Blu Ray was a mixed bag. I wish they had given the job to Warner Archive. Some of the audio issues on BTAS blu ray are just unforgivable. After hearing all the negativity on Fleischer Superman I canceled my Amazon shipment. What did you think? Honestly for me the best part of the BTAS Blu Ray was that feature length documentary. But the fact that they messed the end title music up on so many episode or didn’t give us the proper opening credits. Yes the show looks great(but again, I’m not a fan of DNR & it’s applied a little liberally at times) but I find myself watching my digital Hd copies more often because some of the issues are fixed.

I’d still love to know what happened to those Batman Beyond episodes that couldn’t be properly remastered. It’s been suggested it has something to do with the switch to digital during the second season. But I’m not sure how true that is.

Oh here’s another top 5 question. What’s your top 5 BTAS episodes(I Include all 109 episodes in that moniker. It’s not technically correct but it’s just what I’m use to)
RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm Here’s an interesting question. So the DCAU team thought they were continuing on with TNBA until they got that infamous meeting with the WB exec asking for a kid version of Batman which resulted in Batman Beyond. If you could get more TNBA episodes, would you sacrifice Batman Beyond?
Nah, I wouldn't sacrifice Beyond for more TNBA. TNBA ran its course, imo.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm All these unmade Batman episodes, how far did they get? Were scripts written? If so Have you read them?
There's about 8 or 9 out there in the Internet. We dodged some stinkers. A compilation of cutting room floor material can be found here: http://www.dcauresource.com/cuttingroomfloor.php Links to those scripts are in there.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm It’s interesting you mentioned the Fleischer blu rays. Is it as bad as I’m hearing? Everywhere I read it’s being discussed in really negative ways. That the DNR has erased so much detail, the audio. The BTAS Blu Ray was a mixed bag. I wish they had given the job to Warner Archive. Some of the audio issues on BTAS blu ray are just unforgivable. After hearing all the negativity on Fleischer Superman I canceled my Amazon shipment. What did you think? Honestly for me the best part of the BTAS Blu Ray was that feature length documentary. But the fact that they messed the end title music up on so many episode or didn’t give us the proper opening credits. Yes the show looks great(but again, I’m not a fan of DNR & it’s applied a little liberally at times) but I find myself watching my digital Hd copies more often because some of the issues are fixed.
It depends on if you're an audiovisualphile or just a joe off the street person. The general audience wouldn't notice anything and think they look awesome. Us AV nuts will see the overediting, smudges, etc. If you are an AV nut, eh, you could wait until the price gets real low on Amazon especially if you still already have the DVD set. Yeah, that BTAS set - I don't remember if it was WBHE or WB Archive. I think the former because I don't think Archive would ever be that sloppy. It was in general a pretty good transfer though the one thing that's stuck in my head about it is that "scrunch up and out of focus" shot of Roland Daggett in "Feat of Clay, Part 2". But I think the ones that looked bad were the ones badly animated in the first place?

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm I’d still love to know what happened to those Batman Beyond episodes that couldn’t be properly remastered. It’s been suggested it has something to do with the switch to digital during the second season. But I’m not sure how true that is.
Yes. Some of the season 2 episodes retained some dust and scratches due to the ravages of time but a handful of season 1 ones were still bad. "Dead Man's Hand" has a lot of "snow" at times. You may see some in smaller amounts "Bloodsport" and "Once Burned." When the set was first announced, the PR team was upfront about irreparable damage to 11 of the 52 episodes and that they had to be "Smart Rezzed" from standard definition Digibeta video: "Eyewitness," "Final Cut," "The Last Resort," "Armory," "Sneak Peek," "The Eggbaby," "Zeta," "Plague," "April Moon," "Sentries of the Last Cosmos," and "Speak No Evil." But if you have a good ear, you can find some audio flubs, too. "Rebirth Part One" when Bruce suffers his heart attack - one of the visual effects is absent.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm Oh here’s another top 5 question. What’s your top 5 BTAS episodes(I Include all 109 episodes in that moniker. It’s not technically correct but it’s just what I’m use to)
Just 5? Okay, in no particular order:

The Clock King

A Bullet for Bullock

I Am the Night

House and Garden

Growing Pains

(I left out Mad Love but I prefer the original comic anyway)

How about you? Also did you say your opinion on Epilogue, I'm curious.
mrmichaelt wrote: May 31st, 2023, 5:23 pm
RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm Here’s an interesting question. So the DCAU team thought they were continuing on with TNBA until they got that infamous meeting with the WB exec asking for a kid version of Batman which resulted in Batman Beyond. If you could get more TNBA episodes, would you sacrifice Batman Beyond?
Nah, I wouldn't sacrifice Beyond for more TNBA. TNBA ran its course, imo.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm All these unmade Batman episodes, how far did they get? Were scripts written? If so Have you read them?
There's about 8 or 9 out there in the Internet. We dodged some stinkers. A compilation of cutting room floor material can be found here: http://www.dcauresource.com/cuttingroomfloor.php Links to those scripts are in there.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm It’s interesting you mentioned the Fleischer blu rays. Is it as bad as I’m hearing? Everywhere I read it’s being discussed in really negative ways. That the DNR has erased so much detail, the audio. The BTAS Blu Ray was a mixed bag. I wish they had given the job to Warner Archive. Some of the audio issues on BTAS blu ray are just unforgivable. After hearing all the negativity on Fleischer Superman I canceled my Amazon shipment. What did you think? Honestly for me the best part of the BTAS Blu Ray was that feature length documentary. But the fact that they messed the end title music up on so many episode or didn’t give us the proper opening credits. Yes the show looks great(but again, I’m not a fan of DNR & it’s applied a little liberally at times) but I find myself watching my digital Hd copies more often because some of the issues are fixed.
It depends on if you're an audiovisualphile or just a joe off the street person. The general audience wouldn't notice anything and think they look awesome. Us AV nuts will see the overediting, smudges, etc. If you are an AV nut, eh, you could wait until the price gets real low on Amazon especially if you still already have the DVD set. Yeah, that BTAS set - I don't remember if it was WBHE or WB Archive. I think the former because I don't think Archive would ever be that sloppy. It was in general a pretty good transfer though the one thing that's stuck in my head about it is that "scrunch up and out of focus" shot of Roland Daggett in "Feat of Clay, Part 2". But I think the ones that looked bad were the ones badly animated in the first place?

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm I’d still love to know what happened to those Batman Beyond episodes that couldn’t be properly remastered. It’s been suggested it has something to do with the switch to digital during the second season. But I’m not sure how true that is.
Yes. Some of the season 2 episodes retained some dust and scratches due to the ravages of time but a handful of season 1 ones were still bad. "Dead Man's Hand" has a lot of "snow" at times. You may see some in smaller amounts "Bloodsport" and "Once Burned." When the set was first announced, the PR team was upfront about irreparable damage to 11 of the 52 episodes and that they had to be "Smart Rezzed" from standard definition Digibeta video: "Eyewitness," "Final Cut," "The Last Resort," "Armory," "Sneak Peek," "The Eggbaby," "Zeta," "Plague," "April Moon," "Sentries of the Last Cosmos," and "Speak No Evil." But if you have a good ear, you can find some audio flubs, too. "Rebirth Part One" when Bruce suffers his heart attack - one of the visual effects is absent.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:06 pm Oh here’s another top 5 question. What’s your top 5 BTAS episodes(I Include all 109 episodes in that moniker. It’s not technically correct but it’s just what I’m use to)
Just 5? Okay, in no particular order:

The Clock King

A Bullet for Bullock

I Am the Night

House and Garden

Growing Pains

(I left out Mad Love but I prefer the original comic anyway)

How about you? Also did you say your opinion on Epilogue, I'm curious.
Yeah unfortunately WBHE did the blu ray after WB archive did just a terrific job on Mask of the Phantasm(though I would’ve LOVED some deep dive special features and a commentary track).

For me the biggest issue on the BTAS set is the audio on certain episodes like Harlenquinade.

My top 5 episodes? Gosh. It’s so hard to pick only 5 and they might change. I’m going to cheat and include a two parter

Ok, in no particular order

1. Robins Reckoning
2. Sideshow
3. Bane
4. The Man Who Killed Batman
5. Heart of Ice
6. Beware The Grey Ghost
7. Old Wounds
8. Over the Edge
9. Sins of the father
10. Jokers Favor

Oops. Did I do 10? Lol. As I was typing 5 I realized what a ridiculous and hard ask that was. So if you could pick 5 more what would they be? And again, if you were to ask me a week from now and I could easily see Growing Pains, Appointment in Crime Alley or Perchance to Dream or any number of episodes in there somewhere. I love Deep Freeze. Plus there’s some episodes I love because they’re have a single element that makes it special. An episode like “The Forgotten” is one I find myself rewatching quite a bit. Not because it’s a knock out episode with a terrific script. No. It’s the music. That harmonica theme? My god.

Mind if I ask how old you are? Just curious if you were a kid when BTAS aired or a teenager or what.

I ask because it makes me think about that story of the WB exec saying kids relate to younger heroes. As much as I hate to admit it…he was kinda right. As a kid when Robin was in an episode? I would get so friggn excited. I always wanted to be Robin. When I saw Batman Forever advertise for the first time and got a look at that Robin costume(nipples and all)? My brain exploded. That was the first time I ever remember being super, super excited for a movie coming out. My memory of seeing that movie is one of my most cherished childhood memories. So naturally I have a nostalgic soft spot for it.

As for Epilogue….I change my mind on it from time to time. I’m ok with it. Like you I like that the original plan failed but ended up working out anyway which adds a fate angle. My problem with it has always been the Amanda Waller of it all. I get that people change but to do a complete 180 like that. Yes as the JLU series went on she went from antagonist to…tolerating to The League but from that to willingly considering murdering innocent people to create a Batman? I also never liked the cheap Phantasm cameo. Andrea is taking contract money to kill people now? That was never her. She wanted revenge for her father. I know she didn’t end up doing it but the fact that she was even in a position to say yes…I don’t like that. I liked seeing the Phantasm again, but not that like.

One thing the DCAU makes me realize is that theatrical movies are not the best medium for these characters. I love Batman villains like The Clock King, Scarface(aka The Ventriloquist) or the Mad Hatter. And WB isn’t going to make a 200 million dollar movie with one those villains. Clayface.

I’ve always thought the best bet is to have a big budget HBO style show and connected universe. 10 episodes seasons. First Batman, then Superman. But I’ve never liked any of these CW shows. I know they have fans but they just don’t do it for me. The way it works now is we get a Batman movie every 3-4 years. Like…do the 10 episode seasons and then build up to a big movie style event in theatres. That’s how I’d do it. That’s kinda what Marvel is doing now.

How do you feel about Man of Steel/BvS or Justice League/Zack Snyder’s Justice League? Did you like any of them?
RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:17 pm For me the biggest issue on the BTAS set is the audio on certain episodes like Harlenquinade.
Definitely. I thought something was wrong with my TV settings at first.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:17 pm 1. Robins Reckoning
2. Sideshow
3. Bane
4. The Man Who Killed Batman
5. Heart of Ice
6. Beware The Grey Ghost
7. Old Wounds
8. Over the Edge
9. Sins of the father
10. Jokers Favor

Oops. Did I do 10? Lol. As I was typing 5 I realized what a ridiculous and hard ask that was. So if you could pick 5 more what would they be? And again, if you were to ask me a week from now and I could easily see Growing Pains, Appointment in Crime Alley or Perchance to Dream or any number of episodes in there somewhere. I love Deep Freeze. Plus there’s some episodes I love because they’re have a single element that makes it special. An episode like “The Forgotten” is one I find myself rewatching quite a bit. Not because it’s a knock out episode with a terrific script. No. It’s the music. That harmonica theme? My god.
For sure, depends when you ask.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:17 pm Mind if I ask how old you are? Just curious if you were a kid when BTAS aired or a teenager or what.

I ask because it makes me think about that story of the WB exec saying kids relate to younger heroes. As much as I hate to admit it…he was kinda right. As a kid when Robin was in an episode? I would get so friggn excited. I always wanted to be Robin. When I saw Batman Forever advertise for the first time and got a look at that Robin costume(nipples and all)? My brain exploded. That was the first time I ever remember being super, super excited for a movie coming out. My memory of seeing that movie is one of my most cherished childhood memories. So naturally I have a nostalgic soft spot for it.
Was a little kid when BTAS aired and I turned out just fine. ;)

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:17 pm As for Epilogue….I change my mind on it from time to time. I’m ok with it. Like you I like that the original plan failed but ended up working out anyway which adds a fate angle. My problem with it has always been the Amanda Waller of it all. I get that people change but to do a complete 180 like that. Yes as the JLU series went on she went from antagonist to…tolerating to The League but from that to willingly considering murdering innocent people to create a Batman? I also never liked the cheap Phantasm cameo. Andrea is taking contract money to kill people now? That was never her. She wanted revenge for her father. I know she didn’t end up doing it but the fact that she was even in a position to say yes…I don’t like that. I liked seeing the Phantasm again, but not that like.
Yeah, maybe Waller misled Andrea on some details of the op then Andrea figured out the truth later and thus the explosive argument. Idk, I'd have to rewatch it. It's definitely weird she would have agreed to kill two civilians just to orchestrate another Batman even though the McGinnis's weren't rich elites and Terry wouldn't have the funds to travel the world and train and master skills... And it was surprising Andrea continued to do assassin work. Alfred did break it to Bruce that Andrea fell into the abyss years ago and not even he could pull her out of it. The fact she's still an assassin in what her 70s is even more depressing when you watch her MOTP ending on the boat.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:17 pm I’ve always thought the best bet is to have a big budget HBO style show and connected universe. 10 episodes seasons. First Batman, then Superman. But I’ve never liked any of these CW shows. I know they have fans but they just don’t do it for me. The way it works now is we get a Batman movie every 3-4 years. Like…do the 10 episode seasons and then build up to a big movie style event in theatres. That’s how I’d do it. That’s kinda what Marvel is doing now.
Well, we'll see how the Penguin series does. I did enjoy The Batman, sure some nitpicks here and there, but it was pretty solid I thought.

Yeah, Arrow was probably the longest of the DC CW shows I watched but I fell off around season 5 or 6 then with each new show, I dropped out faster. Not even planning on watching Gotham Knights at all. Am still watching Superman & Lois but I DVR and watch later/ff thru commercials. It's CW, so the soap opera drama factor is super high on these shows among other things that annoyed me after awhile.

RichardLess wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:17 pm How do you feel about Man of Steel/BvS or Justice League/Zack Snyder’s Justice League? Did you like any of them?
Don't care for them much. Too... idk flashy. The one scene I did love was Batman vs. the Martha kidnappers inside the warehouse in BvS. That was pretty cool from what I remember. Never saw the Snyder's JL one, don't plan to. But hey, to each their own.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]