By prodestrian
Godsguitar7 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 8:12 pm Has there been any update on if the siren has been isolated?
Not that I know of. Here it is, extracted from the Preview Cut:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m_wduk ... imSjL/view
It loops twice before it's covered by the car sounds, might be possible for someone to properly isolate and clean it up. And then if they want bonus points, they can reverse the audio, change the speed, pitch, and convert it into the "Montage Siren" (which wasn't used in the Preview Cut).

On a side note, after watching "Cleaning Up the Town" I was surprised to hear that the ECTO-1 siren apparently came from a Snow Leopard howl. I wonder if there's some well-used sound library clip of a Snow Leopard that filmmakers use, which was then manipulated for the siren? It seems unlikely that they went to a zoo and tried to record one howling.

Obviously it's a modern recording, but this one sounds pretty close! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6zwC05Ym64

In fact, if you listen to the "alternative" siren during the "Saving the Day" scene, it sounds a lot closer to the Snow Leopard:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZOZqMr ... WWw_Y/view
(Isolated this one as well).
By Godsguitar7
These are sweet! I can hopefully try to clean these up a bit. I tried doing it with the siren from Extreme Ghostbusters but only got so far. The in-depth information and links were very appreciated!
By Godsguitar7
I finally managed to bash together a high quality ecto siren. I uploaded it here on my channel.. hopefully people start using this instead of the crappy one.
Last edited by Kingpin on June 9th, 2023, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
Pcal6883 liked this
By ghostfan003
This is really cool! Where did you derive the original audio clip from? What would be a holy Grail is to get the actual siren winding down clip from either the scene in the first movie when the ecto pulls up to the fire house after peck shut off the protection grid, or the opening sequence in Ghostbusters II when ray and Winston pull up to the kids party.
By Ebobhazard84
Godsguitar7 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 8:22 pm I finally managed to bash together a high quality ecto siren. I uploaded it here on my channel.. hopefully people start using this instead of the crappy one.
Maybe it's just me, but the alternative siren sounds like the Nostromo emergency destruct siren an octave or two higher.

By Godsguitar7
ghostfan003 wrote: June 11th, 2023, 3:22 pm This is really cool! Where did you derive the original audio clip from? What would be a holy Grail is to get the actual siren winding down clip from either the scene in the first movie when the ecto pulls up to the fire house after peck shut off the protection grid, or the opening sequence in Ghostbusters II when ray and Winston pull up to the kids party.
Thanks! I used a sample from Extreme Ghostbusters. Since the siren featured there is REALLY short, I had to slow the ending and chop it up a TON to get it right. I'd love to see some more sound effects get found or even used for the new film.
By Mercifull
Pcal6883 wrote: July 25th, 2023, 12:01 pm Has anyone tried taking the siren sound effect from the Preview Cut released on the Ultimate Edition collection last year? It has a clean startup and a couple loops before other sounds effects kick in. Not sure if the audio quality is high enough, but it's as isolated as I've heard from the original siren.

https://archive.org/details/ghostbusters-preview-cut
(Timestamp 32:21)
I think the problem with the Preview Cut as a source is that it's only available from a video cassette tape which has lower fidelity sound and then double compression from the transcoding to a web video streaming format. If someone were to find a version of that on film it would be an incredible find but I expect it's long since lost.
Pcal6883 liked this
By The Searcher
Yes, the preview cut was indeed sourced from a Beta tape. The sound quality is actually serviceable, although it helps that the tape itself was a first generation copy of the version of the 135 reels/unscored tracks at the time. I actually managed to get a very clean cut of the audio, and made a seamless 1 minute loop of the sound. I cannot access it now due to storage issues, but I should have that resolved relatively soon and will post the audio here.
deadderek, prodestrian, Pcal6883 and 1 others liked this
By Pcal6883
The Searcher wrote: November 1st, 2023, 12:35 am Yes, the preview cut was indeed sourced from a Beta tape. The sound quality is actually serviceable, although it helps that the tape itself was a first generation copy of the version of the 135 reels/unscored tracks at the time. I actually managed to get a very clean cut of the audio, and made a seamless 1 minute loop of the sound. I cannot access it now due to storage issues, but I should have that resolved relatively soon and will post the audio here.
Looking forward to hearing it!
By The Searcher
I recently caught a screening of Frozen Empire, and I can confirm that at least most of the scenes where the Ectomobile siren is used, it’s the original, actual sound this time.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]