Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
groschopf wrote: June 7th, 2023, 7:47 pm Might just be a little FRS radio to talk to the production people with.
Agreed, for the driver - a radio helps even more in addition to trying to use your mirrors and looking for the person directing you like this case to reverse and re-set up.

Corey91 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 7:50 pm this is amazing!
Very New York.

EDIT: Ecto-1 is home. (EDT2: A FAKE PHOTOSHOP)
https://twitter.com/DanReynish/status/1 ... 5659536384
zeta otaku wrote: June 7th, 2023, 3:31 pm
moviemaker29 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:42 pm The shots that were just posted over on the OLV Twitter account of filming today don't look bad actually.

https://twitter.com/takelyn/status/1666467241913643008

I absolutely love how all of these photos look like they could have been taken in the 80s aside from the new cars. Perhaps the smoke even gave some of the footage that atmospheric 80s smog ambiance films like GB, Crocodile Dundee, etc. had back then!

Depends on the camera settings being used. I tried taking pictures for my out-of-state family and my camera just made things look like it was overcast.
Those photos also look like they were posted earlier in the day, when it was just smoggy instead of solid orange. Later in the afternoon, at least where I am, it was more gray/misty looking but still smells like a campfire (anyone for roasted marshmallows? :walterpeck: ). Picked a great week to do a movie shoot! :cool:
Although, as moviemaker29 said, it could legitimately make for some interesting shots.
moviemaker29 liked this
Happy Ghostbusters Day everyone. Now bring on the title and a poster and I'll be content.
Kingpin, Corey91 liked this
To be fair it's 3am Eastern Standard Time. I expect drops at 6am on the dot. 😂
WCat2000 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 1:14 pm
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 9:08 pm

I mean, you can have the opinion that Bill Murray was never part of the world top comedic talent. You may not dig his style or like him but in 1980s-early 1990s? He would’ve been in the top 10-15. Maybe you are mixing up “stand up comedy” with “comedy”? Bill is a comedian in the sense that…well his primary job was making people laugh and he was insanely good at it. No one would argue Bill is a top stand up comedian. But a comedic actor? And yes Dan, Harold and Rick Moranis would be included in that “Top Comedic” talent. I don’t think anyone in the GBA cast except Paul Rudd is in that tier. Tho Carrie Coon could be. Imo she’s the best thing in that movie.

And while I agree Extreme Ghostbusters doesn’t get referenced….Ghostbusters 2 is memed and referenced(I see the “Everything You Are Doing is Bad. I Want You To Know This” gif quite a bit as well as “…Evil?”. Basically a lot of Janosz.)But let’s say no one referenced EGB or GB2…what does that have to do with GBA—a movie that was released 2 years ago? You are comparing it to a poorly received movie over 30 years old and a TV show that got a single season and barely anyone watched? I dunno if that’s the comparison you think it is. Like..I love GB2, a lot of us here love GB2. But it’s rep aint the greatest is it?

But what I meant is…more recent films. You’ll see people reference mildly successful movies like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Mad Max Fury Road or The Matrix Resurrections, John Wick, Megan, Morbius and then you have the bigger hits like stuff from the Marvel Films etc etc

Maybe you don’t think everyone would say “the worlds top comedy talent” and that’s prob true but I guarantee no one, and I mean no one, would say “kids”.

And to answer WCat2000 with a question…but what lasting impression did GBA leave? It came and went. It’s affect on the zeitgeist was nothing. I would say GB16 left FAR MORE of a mark than GBA did. Sure it was mostly negative but at least it elicited a passion of some kind. The world felt its presence.

And sure maybe it doesn’t matter GBA made no lasting impact. Most movies don’t. But I want them to aim a little higher. Be a bit more ambitious.

It’s like how some people are fine just existing. Living one day to the next. While others want to climb the highest mountain, dive to the deepest depths, fly faster, live longer. I’d like Ghostbusters to be the latter.

I’ve said this before but I see how a movie like Top Gun 2 was received and I’m like…why couldn’t that have been GBA? I don’t think that’s asking alot or being unrealistic. A 3rd GB film could’ve been that. Even half that. Legacy sequel to a popular 1980s movie stuck in development for decades.

I just feel like GBA was a real fulcrum point of this franchise. And while they certainly didn’t blow it, I don’t think they got the grand slam they could’ve had. And depending on how this next movie does, I dunno how many more at bats we’ll get that the plate.
So you’re still going with Afterlife left no lasting impact even though plenty of people are clearly excited for this next one? Ok then.

To me and I’m guessing others, the lasting impression GBA made has was Phoebe and introducing new characters to carry on the business. You’re defining lasting impact as how much people reference it or talk about it. Most comments and reviews I’ve see for Afterlife are positive and are looking forward to Firehouse. Does that not count?

Again Top Gun is a terrible example and comparison. Some movies just perform and are individually more successful than others. That’s not an indication that other franchises are doing bad. If that’s the bar then we can say pretty much everything else is failing if they don’t come somewhere within that threshold.

Ya nobody would pick kids when putting a fully functioning GB team together. Which is why Afterlife was about them discovering them. Now that they’re older and working with other adults they fit on a fully functioning team.

Of course within the story they’re probably too young and Walter Peck causes trouble or something. Nobody is saying they’d realistically get hired as firefighters or exterminators but this same type of thing was used as part of the story in the original. Even though they were all adults they were not licensed and went into business without any official credibility. Nobody should have trusted them wearing big unrecognizable equipment claiming to remove ghosts. How did they even get a TV commercial?

Don’t get me wrong I’m NOT saying...“it’s just a movie and all make believe anyway”. I’m saying teens getting to join a GB team and go on dangerous jobs IS believable in these movies. Especially when they’ve already had experience fighting.
Here’s the mistake I think you and Kingpin are making.

I don’t think people are excited for a “Ghostbusters Afterlife” sequel. They are excited for another Ghostbusters movie. There’s a difference. I’m sure people here are excited and the fans of the franchise want to see the continued adventures of Trevor and Lucky. But John and Jane Q Public? Nope. Sorry. It’s the name recognition.

People wouldn’t pick kids being on a Ghostbusters team because most people don’t want to see that. How do I know that? Because that’s not the positive association and memory they have. & It’s been done. Kids as Ghostbusters is a bottom of the barrel ridiculous notion(again, if the movie presents it as them as working GB’s. If they figure out another angle that can work? I’ll be the first to admit how wrong I was and be glad to do so. But if that phone rings and the alarm bells go off and kids come sliding down the poll and gear up? No. Just…no). It kind of worked in the last movie. But they weren’t actually employed Ghostbusters. They were just messing around.

Top Gun is a terrible example because some movies just do better than others? The heck kind of backward logic is that? Top Gun is a fine example because A) It’s a legacy sequel to a beloved 1980s classic and B) both these movies spent years in development hell. Saying “oh it’s a bad example because some movies are more successful than others movies” is just…odd. This is how comparisons work. When one movie with a similar profile to another( huge 1980s hit with cultural staying power and long gestating legacy sequel with new cast mixed with old) does massive numbers and another doesn’t, it’s usually a good idea to look at why or how. If you don’t think GBA had the potential to be a a hit even HALF of Top Gun 2’s size I just don’t know what to say to you.

I should clear something up. None of this means GBA is “bad”. It did ok. It was ok. Ok is…ok. It’s a step above neutral. Close to “meh”.

BUt I can just look at the movie and see the mistakes that were made & I know A) they could’ve made a better movie and B) had a much more successful movie. This movie has two MAJOR problems to overcome. #1 was to give people a reason to come back to theatres after a pandemic. That’s a big one. That’s a hard one. But as we’ve seen, others did it and did it better. #2 make people forget all about the reboot. And #3 remind the audience what a Ghostbusters movie is all about. Now…how do you do that? Two ways. Make a GREAT movie and Market the SHIT out of it. I know some of you won’t like this but…the original cast needed to be in this as supporting roles. People needed to see them back in action in the marketing. And they needed to see this would be a damn comedy. Cause it’s Ghostbusters. And I know some people disagree with me on this next one. The “almighty #3”. The worst choice they made from a business stand point was not putting a number on this movie. A simple 3 would’ve done so much heavy lifting from a marketing perspective. It just astonishes me they didn’t. It would be one thing if a reboot didnt come out in 2016. Maybe then a 3 isn’t needed. Now I don’t know how much of a difference it would’ve made, but it would’ve made some sort of difference. And I know. I know. “It’s technically not Ghostbusters 3”. I don’t care. I’m not saying from an artistic POV. Just a business and marketing one. “Ghostbusters 3: Afterlife” has a bigger opening weekend than “Ghostbusters Afterlife”. And a “Ghostbusters 3 Afterlife” with the OGB’s in gear and cracking wise? And as co leads? It’s a bigger movie. Now it’s also a different movie so there’s a million variables in there. But generally speaking.

You all know why Spiderman No Way Home did so well? It was because everyone and their mother knew Tobey Maguire and the other Spidermen would be sharing the screen. The pandemic was over and people wanted to be reminded of a better time. Spider-Man did that. Top Gun 2 did that. Which is why you see the “they don’t make ‘em like this anymore” refrain so often with TG2. Now I’m not saying GBA was a 2 billion dollar movie or even a 1 billion dollar movie. But a helluva lot more than 200 million.

Anyways, Happy Ghostbusters Day Everyone.
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:36 am
deadderek wrote:To be fair it's 3am Eastern Standard Time. I expect drops at 6am on the dot. 😂
If I remember right, Sony tweeted that intro video with Jason around 5 or 6 am on Sony's twitter account. So could actually start as early as that. Just please, don't use Twitter Space again, Sony.
And here I was planning on going to bed early. Should I have some uh coffee?
mrmichaelt wrote: June 7th, 2023, 5:51 pm More for Kingpin to i.d., ;)
https://twitter.com/crowbarmark/status/ ... 8037005312
=Just north of the intersection of Church Street and White Street (1 Avenue of the Americas is the brick building in the background).

https://twitter.com/DeLaApe/status/1666549655000301570
=ResurEcto-1 even closer to the intersection of Church and White Streets, Petrarca is located at 34 White Street.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtNLvpYA-Zh/
=ResurEcto-1 parked on Chambers Street, the Tweed Courthouse is the classical building in the background.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtMnBqWAlWS/
=Just north of the intersection of Church Street and White Street (The Roxy Hotel at 2 6th Avenue, where Illfonic previewed Spirits Unleashed last year is in the background).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtMlFtKumpG/
=Church Street, with 289 White Street (the building with the white frontage directly behind ResurEcto-1) in the background.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtMiLczO9yD/
=Church Street (1 Avenue of the Americas is the brick building in the background).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtMQotyLJpg/
=Just south of the intersection of Church Street and White Street (The Roxy Hotel at 2 6th Avenue is the building with the red and green frontage).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtMYtOqugLo/
=ResurEcto-1 parked outside of 44 White Street (Let There Be Neon Inc. at 38 White Street visible in the background).

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... church_st/
=ResurEcto-1 heading north on Church Street (Shigure at 277 Church Street visible on the right-hand side of the background).

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... h_st_cont/
=ResurEcto-1 heading north on Church Street, passing the Roxy Hotel and stopping roughly adjacent to 311 Church Street.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/795619545517283
=ResurEcto-1 reversing onto the intersection of Church and White Streets (Petrarca is the three-storey red building, the Church St School For Music and Art is the five-storey classical building directly opposite White Street from it).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 1764560207
=ResurEcto-1 parked on Church Street (The Roxy Hotel is the building in the immediate background, with the white frontage of 208 Church Street visible just up the block).

The updated Production Weekly Davide sent me:

mrmichaelt, deadderek, Corey91 and 1 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:34 am
WCat2000 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 1:14 pm So you’re still going with Afterlife left no lasting impact even though plenty of people are clearly excited for this next one? Ok then.

To me and I’m guessing others, the lasting impression GBA made has was Phoebe and introducing new characters to carry on the business. You’re defining lasting impact as how much people reference it or talk about it. Most comments and reviews I’ve see for Afterlife are positive and are looking forward to Firehouse. Does that not count?

Again Top Gun is a terrible example and comparison. Some movies just perform and are individually more successful than others. That’s not an indication that other franchises are doing bad. If that’s the bar then we can say pretty much everything else is failing if they don’t come somewhere within that threshold.

Ya nobody would pick kids when putting a fully functioning GB team together. Which is why Afterlife was about them discovering them. Now that they’re older and working with other adults they fit on a fully functioning team.

Of course within the story they’re probably too young and Walter Peck causes trouble or something. Nobody is saying they’d realistically get hired as firefighters or exterminators but this same type of thing was used as part of the story in the original. Even though they were all adults they were not licensed and went into business without any official credibility. Nobody should have trusted them wearing big unrecognizable equipment claiming to remove ghosts. How did they even get a TV commercial?

Don’t get me wrong I’m NOT saying...“it’s just a movie and all make believe anyway”. I’m saying teens getting to join a GB team and go on dangerous jobs IS believable in these movies. Especially when they’ve already had experience fighting.

I don’t think people are excited for a “Ghostbusters Afterlife” sequel. They are excited for another Ghostbusters movie. There’s a difference. I’m sure people here are excited and the fans of the franchise want to see the continued adventures of Trevor and Lucky. But John and Jane Q Public? Nope. Sorry. It’s the name recognition.

People wouldn’t pick kids being on a Ghostbusters team because most people don’t want to see that. How do I know that? Because that’s not the positive association and memory they have. & It’s been done. Kids as Ghostbusters is a bottom of the barrel ridiculous notion(again, if the movie presents it as them as working GB’s. If they figure out another angle that can work? I’ll be the first to admit how wrong I was and be glad to do so. But if that phone rings and the alarm bells go off and kids come sliding down the poll and gear up? No. Just…no). It kind of worked in the last movie. But they weren’t actually employed Ghostbusters. They were just messing around.

Top Gun is a terrible example because some movies just do better than others? The heck kind of backward logic is that? Top Gun is a fine example because A) It’s a legacy sequel to a beloved 1980s classic and B) both these movies spent years in development hell. Saying “oh it’s a bad example because some movies are more successful than others movies” is just…odd. This is how comparisons work. When one movie with a similar profile to another( huge 1980s hit with cultural staying power and long gestating legacy sequel with new cast mixed with old) does massive numbers and another doesn’t, it’s usually a good idea to look at why or how. If you don’t think GBA had the potential to be a a hit even HALF of Top Gun 2’s size I just don’t know what to say to you.

I should clear something up. None of this means GBA is “bad”. It did ok. It was ok. Ok is…ok. It’s a step above neutral. Close to “meh”.

BUt I can just look at the movie and see the mistakes that were made & I know A) they could’ve made a better movie and B) had a much more successful movie. This movie has two MAJOR problems to overcome. #1 was to give people a reason to come back to theatres after a pandemic. That’s a big one. That’s a hard one. But as we’ve seen, others did it and did it better. #2 make people forget all about the reboot. And #3 remind the audience what a Ghostbusters movie is all about. Now…how do you do that? Two ways. Make a GREAT movie and Market the SHIT out of it. I know some of you won’t like this but…the original cast needed to be in this as supporting roles. People needed to see them back in action in the marketing. And they needed to see this would be a damn comedy. Cause it’s Ghostbusters. And I know some people disagree with me on this next one. The “almighty #3”. The worst choice they made from a business stand point was not putting a number on this movie. A simple 3 would’ve done so much heavy lifting from a marketing perspective. It just astonishes me they didn’t. It would be one thing if a reboot didnt come out in 2016. Maybe then a 3 isn’t needed. Now I don’t know how much of a difference it would’ve made, but it would’ve made some sort of difference. And I know. I know. “It’s technically not Ghostbusters 3”. I don’t care. I’m not saying from an artistic POV. Just a business and marketing one. “Ghostbusters 3: Afterlife” has a bigger opening weekend than “Ghostbusters Afterlife”. And a “Ghostbusters 3 Afterlife” with the OGB’s in gear and cracking wise? And as co leads? It’s a bigger movie. Now it’s also a different movie so there’s a million variables in there. But generally speaking.

You all know why Spiderman No Way Home did so well? It was because everyone and their mother knew Tobey Maguire and the other Spidermen would be sharing the screen. The pandemic was over and people wanted to be reminded of a better time. Spider-Man did that. Top Gun 2 did that. Which is why you see the “they don’t make ‘em like this anymore” refrain so often with TG2. Now I’m not saying GBA was a 2 billion dollar movie or even a 1 billion dollar movie. But a helluva lot more than 200 million.

Maybe for some it’s brand recognition but even if we’re just referring to fans (as in people on these boards and such) that’s still a lot of people who saw Afterlife and liked it. They know this is a follow up with those characters returning. We’ve known this for a year.

McKenna Grace and Logan Kim are 16. Finn Wolfhard and Celeste O’Connor are 20 and 24. That’s only two people that are technically underage but they’re not little kids anymore. It’s really not out of place to work them into the team somehow. We don’t know if they’re all gonna suit up. I’m just saying.

I definitely agree that calling it GB3 would have created more attention. The OGB should have had more screen time. That’s a given that I think everyone agrees on. It’s not even a point of debate.

Ya Top Gun and SpiderMan are terrible comparisons. You really can’t understand some movies are just more successful? That some movies make more than others? Like it’s not feasible.

You say GBA should or could have had at least half of that success. Doing a quick Google search. Comparing all 3 movies Afterlife should have or could have made around $500 million or more if $1 Billion is the benchmark. I guess this is closer to what you want.

What if GB4/Firehouse doesn’t reach that either? What if it make like $400 million and a part 5 gets announced? Is this still not successful to you?
Kingpin liked this
Davideverona wrote: June 8th, 2023, 4:34 am Phoebe is definitely going to suit up. Her stunt double was on the gunner seat in the recent ResureEcto videos.
I know. I just meant we don’t know who’s gonna make up the core team. The Spenglers and Grooberson? Will Lucky and Podcast suit up for some reason? Maybe.
Davideverona liked this
WCat2000 wrote: June 8th, 2023, 3:35 am
RichardLess wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:34 am

Maybe for some it’s brand recognition but even if we’re just referring to fans (as in people on these boards and such) that’s still a lot of people who saw Afterlife and liked it. They know this is a follow up with those characters returning. We’ve known this for a year.

McKenna Grace and Logan Kim are 16. Finn Wolfhard and Celeste O’Connor are 20 and 24. That’s only two people that are technically underage but they’re not little kids anymore. It’s really not out of place to work them into the team somehow. We don’t know if they’re all gonna suit up. I’m just saying.

I definitely agree that calling it GB3 would have created more attention. The OGB should have had more screen time. That’s a given that I think everyone agrees on. It’s not even a point of debate.

Ya Top Gun and SpiderMan are terrible comparisons. You really can’t understand some movies are just more successful? That some movies make more than others? Like it’s not feasible.

You say GBA should or could have had at least half of that success. Doing a quick Google search. Comparing all 3 movies Afterlife should have or could have made around $500 million or more if $1 Billion is the benchmark. I guess this is closer to what you want.

What if GB4/Firehouse doesn’t reach that either? What if it make like $400 million and a part 5 gets announced? Is this still not successful to you?
See. Bingo. There’s the problem. You are talking about “success”. I’m talking about potential. I mean, what is success? Profit? A good movie? A good movie and profit? When you break down everything that I’m saying what I’m saying is that GBA did not live up to it’s potential and it seems you agree based on what you said regarding the OGB’s and a 3 in the title making a difference with attention.

As for GB4. Time will tell.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:Hopefully a ghost that escapes the containment unit from after GBII, so new to us but old to Winston & Ray.

Because goddamn if they bring Vigo back in this...
Choice #1, please!

Choice #2 was something I think Jason Reitman was joking about back on November 28, 2021...
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4#p4961944
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 8th, 2023, 6:07 am "to kill a ghost from the past"

Hopefully a ghost that escapes the containment unit from after GBII, so new to us but old to Winston & Ray.

Because goddamn if they bring Vigo back in this...
I’ve always liked Vigo more than Gozer. He’s legit creepy. There’s a video somewhere on the inter webs of someone applying make up to the Vigo actor during GB2 and at first he is all calm and still and then he like snarls and bares his teeth like maniac towards the person applying the makeup . it’s legitimately terrifying.

I swear two actors play Vigo during the ending of GB2. There’s the main Vigo. And then there’s the frizzy hair guy that looks nothing like the other Vigo. You know the one? When he moves those crates or whatever to get to Oscar and he smiles? That can’t be the same actor, right?

Oddly enough Vigo’s mood slime would be more poignant now than ever.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]