Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
@Spengler 28

Yes this fire station was a working station from 1910 until about 1960 if I remember right. Engine co# 23 and Ladder co # 5 were operating out of until it closed. Some one here even has some pictures of when it was a working fire station. I think it was closed to budget cuts in the LAFD, and since then has become the filming location we all know and love.
Taken on June 19th, there might be a positive reason as to why the doors and windows have that boarding up*, but... it doesn't really bode well.

Lumokan, let us know if the place is still boarded up when you stop by in September.

*If I had to think of an explanation, it could be a film crew needs to have it look like it's nighttime inside, but can't actually shoot when it's night.
Hmm yeah...if they were just going to knock her down or something they probably wouldn't bother boarding the doors up so carefully.
It's about a month and a half till I leave for the states so I'll get in contact with Daniel the caretaker soonish to give him plenty of notice. I'll ask about what's going on too...because of all dis woodiness.
Over two months later and the station's still boarded up, ruling out any explanations of it being stuff put in for a film shoot:

Thanks to Lumokan for the photo.

Just as well that you guys were able to get in and film it when you did.
I contacted the L.A. conservancy to see if I could get any info. Marcello Vavala, a Preservation Associate got back to me with the following:
Hello Luke,

Fire Station No. 23 is owned by the city. It is also a designated landmark--Historic-Cultural Monument #37, landmarked in 1966. I'm not aware of any current reuse plans for the former fire station.

You should contact the city's Office of Historic Resources to see if they have further information.

Lambert Giessinger, Preservation Achitect, 213-978-1183, lambert.giessinger@lacity.org

Best,

Marcello
So at least we know it's not going anywhere. I'm not sure how if the building is a designated landmark it can be left to rot however.
I will drop this Lambert a line and see what he might have to say about the future of #23.
Kingpin wrote:Image
Thanks to Lumokan for the photo.

Nice to see some lowlife had to go piss all over plywood. Makes me wonder everytime I see someone mark up a restroom with their "name" , why are you laying claim to a restroom? I mean s#!t and piss and a whole lot of pricks hang out all day, are they trying to tell us something?
Cyland Props wrote:Nice to see some lowlife had to go piss all over plywood. Makes me wonder everytime I see someone mark up a restroom with their "name" , why are you laying claim to a restroom? I mean s#!t and piss and a whole lot of pricks hang out all day, are they trying to tell us something?
Notice also the gate has been smashed in allowing access to the entrance. I wouldn't be surprised if there are squatters in there. That centre grey door was padlocked, and I wasn't game to try the door to the left.
Okay so Lambert Giessinger, Preservation Achitect (This fall on Fox) says:
To my knowledge, there is no immediate plan for the property. There have been a few developers looking int an adaptive reuse over the last few years, but nothing has materialized.
Basically an "I don't know" I think. So in the end all we know is they can't knock it down. Stay tuned.
Boomerjinks wrote:I have a present for you guys.

http://gbfags.com/firehouse.zip
EEP! Awesome. :)
Awesome pictures... Great reference, guys! :D

I have a small question regarding Fire Station 23... Might as well ask it here.
This thread deserves to get a little 'bump' anyway ;)

I was wondering whether the decorated pillars seen in the movie were actually fake props brought in by the art department or if they were actually present at the LA firehouse.

Thing is that I can't find them on old black and white photographs I've seen and they clearly aren't there anymore judging from recent footage and pictures of the firehouse.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter? :)

cheers,

Cliff
They were set dressing, I believe they even differed in design in the second film when compared to the first.

There's also a set of outcrops running the entire length of the engine bay which were fabricated by set dressing, which presumably were designed to hide the wiring for the studio lights that were hung to illuminate the place.
Mystery solved! Thanks a bunch, Kingpin! ;)

I don't think this picture's been posted in this thread...
It's one of my favourite pictures in 'The Making of Ghostbusters': John DeCuir with the firehouse interior model.

I've always wondered what the extra spaces on the right side and at the back of the firehouse were supposed to be...
Any thoughts?
WE BUMP BACK liked this
I've wonder for a long time about that model, it almost looks like their proposal for a set build before they settled on using Firestation 23, interesting to not that the model appears to have served as a lot of the inspiration for the Real Ghostbusters Firehouse (the second floor stopping short of the front of the building, a waist-height railing bordering off the Basement stairs rather than a full-height wall, the single firepole which cuts through one corner of the second floor...
Boomerjinks wrote:I have a present for you guys.

http://gbfags.com/firehouse.zip

That is Awesome!!! At least some GBFans got inside and documented it. I called

"Lambert Giessinger, Preservation Achitect, 213-978-1183, lambert.giessinger@lacity.org"

To see what condition the Firehouse is currently in, I will post what I find out.
o0Ecto1A0o wrote:
That is Awesome!!! At least some GBFans got inside and documented it. I called

"Lambert Giessinger, Preservation Achitect, 213-978-1183, lambert.giessinger@lacity.org"

To see what condition the Firehouse is currently in, I will post what I find out.
Any updates?
I'll be heading back to #23 in January so I'll put up some photos here then.
fixer79 wrote:Mystery solved! Thanks a bunch, Kingpin! ;)

I don't think this picture's been posted in this thread...
It's one of my favourite pictures in 'The Making of Ghostbusters': John DeCuir with the firehouse interior model.

I've always wondered what the extra spaces on the right side and at the back of the firehouse were supposed to be...
Any thoughts?

Thank you for posting this picture, I've never seen it before.

Seeing these pictures of firehouse 23 makes me wish I had the money to buy and restore it.

On another note I have been thinking there have got to be blueprints of these buildings in archives somewhere. My guess would be maybe county archives.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]