Have you accumulated a huge Ghostbusters Collection? Talk about what you have and show it off!
They were mini snow-dome pencil toppers. I bought an extra set and cracked the domes to free the little plastic sculptures inside.

Best pic I could find online of what they looked like in the domes:

If I locate my mint set (which looked pretty icky after the liquid dehydrated) I'll try to take some pics.

Alex
Here's a better shot of the loose ones.

I haven't seen my domed ones in a couple of years, but here's a glimpse of a cracked-and-evaporated Stay-Puft snow dome (not a pencil topper but rather a rubber stamp) in a video that I shot in 2011.

Cue it up to about the 2 minute mark. There's also a nice bit about the tiny Venkman and Fuji Ecto having a cameo in a Star Wars fanfilm that I shot in 1993, complete with a rare behind-the-scenes angle showing how the shot was achieved.

EDIT: I just watched the rest of that video for the first time in three years. Happy to report that I did recently locate the missing GB2 teaser poster which I mentioned at one point. It was in yet another box in my parents' attic.

Alex
Daniel liked this
It's not easy and it's not fun. On some of them I would just crack it open, by slicing into the side and inserting a small screwdriver in the hole to pry them apart. On others, I used a dremel to cut down the length of the seam (what some folks call a 'sonic weld'). But this always leaves a gap when you reassemble them. On very rare occasion, more out of frustration than skill, I have just thrown them at the concrete floor to pop them apart.

Short answer, to my knowledge there's no method of cracking the torso that won't damage the figure to some degree.

Alex
By fixer79
Awesome that you were featured in the GB 30th Anniversary SFX, Alex! You totally deserve it! :)
I sadly missed the issue when it came out... Hope it'll pop op on ebay or somesuch... I'd love to read it!

Anyway, what I wanted to ask...
Where on God's green earth did you find the exact same whale paperweight? Such a great addition to your prop collection, that!
Alex Newborn liked this
fixer79 wrote:Awesome that you were featured in the GB 30th Anniversary SFX, Alex! You totally deserve it! :)
I sadly missed the issue when it came out... Hope it'll pop op on ebay or somesuch... I'd love to read it!
I bought two copies directly from the publisher, but they took forever to arrive and when they did the spines were in bad condition.

While the package was slowly making its way to me for nearly a full month, the books showed up at my Books-A-Million. I think they still have some copies, so check your local bookstore.

If not, message me. I may can help.
fixer79 wrote:Where on God's green earth did you find the exact same whale paperweight? Such a great addition to your prop collection, that!
The short answer is:

I put in 'brass whale paperweight' as a Followed Search for several weeks.

The tricky part was, those whales came in a few different sizes, so I had to patiently wait. I stayed pat on the too-small ones, and only bid on the correct sizes.

I think I have a spare one, in fact.

Alex
By fixer79
Thanks for the tips, Alex!

I wonder if you'll ever be able to get your hands on that other thing on Janine's desk. The thing on the right of the whale paperweight. Not even sure what it's supposed to be...

Good luck trying to search for that on auction sites... ;)

Anyway...

Have you ever started a seperate thread about your collection of 80's items featured in the Ghostbusters movies?
I'd love to see that! :)
fixer79 wrote:Thanks for the tips, Alex!

I wonder if you'll ever be able to get your hands on that other thing on Janine's desk. The thing on the right of the whale paperweight. Not even sure what it's supposed to be...

Good luck trying to search for that on auction sites... ;)

Anyway...

Have you ever started a seperate thread about your collection of 80's items featured in the Ghostbusters movies?
I'd love to see that! :)
Yeah, I can't quite figure out what that thing is supposed to be. I was hoping that when all those unseen publicity pics began surfacing for the 30th anniversary, we might get a good still of the desk.

I have multiple threads in the various categories here on GBFans, usually showing the making of props piece by piece, but alas recently my photolinks have decided not to work.

Your best bet at the moment might actually be my collection thread on the Replica Prop Forum website, bka TheRPF.

It's done more like a showcase, final items rather than the procedurals.

And although the links on it did also mess up, I was able to go back and edit the posts there and freshen things up.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-ghostbusters-props-167234/

Alex
By fixer79
Ecto-1 fan wrote:My guess is a 1930s/40s duck or turtle wearing a red top hat. We're looking at the back.
Actually, I don't think that's a bad guess... Not a bad guess at all...
It never occured to me it could be a character, but seeing the new pictures Alex posted and now you mention it... It probably is!
It seems to have ears though... A dog character maybe?
By Zack
bunny.png
Part of me thinks I'm seeing a small half sized brownish/grayish? character attached to the left of the turtle. Maybe not! Maybe it's a rock or something he's standing next to. I think I see a white cotton tail?

:P

I know there are incarnations of it where the tortoise has a small red hat but the rabbit doesn't bear any similarities.
By fixer79
Zack wrote: Part of me thinks I'm seeing a small half sized brownish/grayish? character attached to the left of the turtle. Maybe not! Maybe it's a rock or something he's standing next to. I think I see a white cotton tail?

:P
Aah, I see what you mean, Zack... I figured the "rabbit" is the tortoise's arm and leg and that he's in a walking pose.

But yeah, that white highlight could be a rabbit's tail. The rabbit would be awfully small though...

Still, I kinda see an ear popping out right under the top hat. Unless it's the tortoise's eyeball bulging out. In that case, why isn't it painted white... :s

But yeah, I kinda see the shell pattern too. And you have a good point with the tortoise being often depicted with a red hat...

Dangnammit- what is that thing?!...
I hope our buddy Alex is getting to the bottom of this as we speak. Maybe he has even tracked down the darn thing on Ebay and will be posting nice and clear pictures of all sides of this mysterious anthropomorphic animal soon!

Alex? :D

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]