Post pics of work in progress or to your fan art here on Ghostbusters Fans.
By Decimus
Howdy all! I've been lurking around here for a bit, amazed at the talented bunch of fans that have gathered here. I had some time off of work over the holidays and decided to make in 3d one of my favorite cars, the Ecto-1a! This site was invaluable in gathering reference material, and I thank you for putting all that info up! It helped make sure all those warning stickers are accurate...ish. :)

I was planning on making the firehouse to place the car in, but ran out of time. Perhaps later.
I've already started adjusting the decals, props, and roof rack to make the Ecto-1 as well for those lovers of the original car. 8)

Thanks for looking!

Decimus
Last edited by Decimus on January 23rd, 2012, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CPU64
I was looking for a good ECTO model so I can make a file for my garmin GPS and have the ECTO on screen. Your model looks fantastic :3
By Boomerjinks
That

made me do this

You sir, are amazing. You are unbelievably talented. That is the coolest f****g thing I've aaughlarhglarhagharlaahahahhh
Corey91 liked this
By Chace
Boomerjinks wrote:That

made me do this

You sir, are amazing. You are unbelievably talented. That is the coolest f****g thing I've aaughlarhglarhagharlaahahahhh

Video proof of you doing this, or it didn't happen.
By Borzou
This is relevant to my interests....
By Charnel
I second needing some wallpaper sized images.
By aliencatx
what program are you using, MAYA? I cant tell
By Gareee
3rd wallpaper sized post request. (1920x1200 here!)

Great work!
By Decimus
Hey thanks all! Yea i can get some wallpaper sized images posted soon and some other views. Boomerjinks, I like those views you had on your deviantart page. Shooting those in a grungy environment was definitely the right choice. It's what i was hoping to do with the firehouse when I can make it. Very nice shots you had there!

I can probably do a couple more views, but I'm back at work now so I'm reduced to a small amount of free time late in the evenings or weekends. The Ecto-1 is coming along, however after having worked on the Ecto-1a, the Ecto-1 looks a bit naked up top hehe. :)

Thanks again!

Decimus
By Gareee
Good to hear you are doing both versions. How high is the polycount, and what are you modelling in? (I'm a lightwaver from wayyy back.)
By Decimus
Poly count got over 1.1 million due to subdivisions, and I modeled it in Maya. Everyone I've ever met that has used Lightwave is super passionate about it vs. other programs.
By Gareee
There was a time when Lightwave was the cat's meow.. but that was years ago. I still like the modeler, but its been outdated and surpassed by max, maya and modo now. I have modo, but I've just never migrated to it for modelling.

Newtek has been delivering far too little, far too late, and the original dev team migrated to Modo, and its where lightwave's advancements should be now, instead of still mired in the past.

I was going to ask if you were going to make the models available when you were done with them (I was thinking of doing a odd rodd or cars type morph for them) but I haven't taken a model that large into lightwave for years for morphing.. I'm not sure how sluggish it would be.
By Gareee
NessaSan wrote:I'd love to see original Ecto-1 like that : )
He mentioned he was working on it.. ;)
By CPU64
Good old poly-count-bumping subdivisions..
Oh and did you do the dirt on a separate layer? Then you can use the same texture for clean and dirty versions. But you probably knew that already :)
By Gareee
Somewhat off topic, I don't think I've ever modelled anything more than 100,000 polys.
By CPU64
Gareee wrote:Somewhat off topic, I don't think I've ever modelled anything more than 100,000 polys.
Yeah, I mostly model for games so its lowest poly count as possible. This Ecto looks great. Even better than that other one that was floating around here a while ago. I started an Ecto a few years ago but never got to finishing it. Which is kinda pointless now that this one is parked here :)
By Gareee
The last 6 or 7 years, I've been modelling for Poser and Daz Studio content, and I also come from the old school modelling where 100 polys sounded high.

Seeing this ecto has inspired me to try my hand at some GB related 3d modelling myself.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]