Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By CaptCyan
Nice job on your Ecto restoration. :nicejobyoudid: It does mimic the look of the Cartoon version quite well. I especially like your Interior Details and the fact that you added the Hood Ornament. It also compliments your repainted GB Figures, they make a nice set.
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:Nice job on your Ecto restoration. :nicejobyoudid: It does mimic the look of the Cartoon version quite well. I especially like your Interior Details and the fact that you added the Hood Ornament. It also compliments your repainted GB Figures, they make a nice set.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it, your old thread on ecto's was really handy. I'm thinking about doing another set based on the idea of The Real Ghostbusters in Ghostbusters 2, using the power pack heroes. I always thought of them as the RGB GB2 uniforms since they came out with the movie and the new version of Ecto-1. I was thinking like a cartoon version of slime blowers and ecto-1a. I remember a comic from when I was a kid that was an adaptation of GB2 staring the RGB cast. I just wish I could remember what everything looked like in it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
By CaptCyan
tw1478 wrote:... I was thinking like a cartoon version of slime blowers and ecto-1a. I remember a comic from when I was a kid that was an adaptation of GB2 staring the RGB cast. I just wish I could remember what everything looked like in it...
It looked like this.

I did a HotWheels/Matchbox sized version.

It would be cool to see a larger scale version. The Comic (which is in 3 parts) has been scanned and is online here at GB Fans in the Publications section. 2nd listing under Comics:

http://www.gbfans.com/wiki/Publications
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote: ]It looked like this.
Idid a HotWheels/Matchbox sized version.
]It would be cool to see a larger scale version. The Comic (which is in 3 parts) has been scanned and is online here at GB Fans in the Publications section. 2nd listing under Comics:

http://www.gbfans.com/wiki/Publications
Wow, lol, thanks Cap. You pretty much just answered every question I had about this idea for a project in one post. I appreciate all the info. Going off of your own model it doesn't look there was as much difference from the movie as I thought there would be. I guess i kinda thought the roof would be more simplified like the cartoon is from the first movie, but all those parts look fairly easy to make. I'm gonna start browsing ebay for some ecto's and figures. I was thinking on the figures just restoring them and removing the GB logo from the chest and placing a new GB2 logo on the shoulder, making 2 new packs for Peter and Egon and molding 2 cartoon style slime blowers for Ray and Winston. Is there anything else you think should be changed on the uniforms?
By tw1478
Started working on the RGB slime blower today. It's all pieced together I just need to make a mold of it and cast a solid resin prototype. It doesn't look like much now, but I think once its a solid piece and painted it will really look right. From what I can tell from the comic adaptation they don't wear vests just regular straps, so I may not need to customize the figures any.

Right now I just have a push pin for the gun handle but I plan on replacing that with an acrylic rod when I get some more in.

By Fritz
From what I can tell from the comic adaptation they don't wear vests just regular straps, so I may not need to customize the figures any.
It does look like in some shots John Tobias tried to draw the harnesses/vests on, but the colorist didn't pay attention and just colored them the same color as Ray and Winston's flight suits. Example:

http://www.gbfans.com/wiki/File:Ghostbu ... age_22.jpg

The slime blowers are off to a great start. I tried to make slime blowers out of plastic coin tubes and marker caps back in the day. They...didn't look very good.
By tw1478
Fritz wrote:
From what I can tell from the comic adaptation they don't wear vests just regular straps, so I may not need to customize the figures any.
It does look like in some shots John Tobias tried to draw the harnesses/vests on, but the colorist didn't pay attention and just colored them the same color as Ray and Winston's flight suits. Example:

http://www.gbfans.com/wiki/File:Ghostbu ... age_22.jpg

The slime blowers are off to a great start. I tried to make slime blowers out of plastic coin tubes and marker caps back in the day. They...didn't look very good.
Well since I'm making these for the power pack heroes, Winston and Ray both have red straps (I always wondered if they had originally planned to package that line with packs and blowers instead), so I may paint the blowers yellow with red accents to match them, but I am going to make a regular mold so I can cast more, if I decide to do a movie version I will definitely need to come up with something for the vests though.
By tw1478
GabOchoa wrote:Great work on your customs! and if you ever plan to sell the RGB slimeblowers, let us know
I'm starting off with just 2 to see how hard they'll be to make. I should have some finished photos next week, I just need to finish painting them.
By tw1478
These are my finished slime blowers for my "The Real Ghostbusters in Ghostbusters 2" project.

There is a Peter and Egon badged with the GB2 logo to go with these guys as well. I'm also tying to finish a cartoon Ecto-1A to go with the figures, it should be done soon as well as a custom Janine.
CaptCyan liked this
By tw1478
Well here is my first custom Janine. I can't take credit for the idea of the Earthworn Jim princess body, I was actually going to use something else but this was a much better idea from Gareee. First I had to prepare the new body and mold a new head.

I straightened the arm and molded the new head straight to the body.

And this is what I ended up with.

I have a "Janine's Genie" uniform figure I'm finishing now. I'm also planning to make another one exactly like this in the alternate blue dress she wore. Hope you guys enjoy her.
By tw1478
Fritz wrote::sigh:--I approve.

Man, I really need to dig out my customized figures. They weren't as ambitious or as skillful as yours, though.
You should have seen the stuff I made when I first starting to learn how to mold new plastic pieces, ghastly :boogieman: The way I see it, as far as not being skillful or ambitious enough, what does it matter as long as you enjoy them. One of my favorite sets just has the uniform collars painted and the original broken packs with no mods just a little paint. I say dig 'em out and share, the world can never have enough Ghostbuster fan toys in my humble opinion.
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:Nice job on the Slimeblowers and both Janines... :nicejobyoudid: All you need to do is a Tully makeover and you've got them all. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Cap I'm glad you like 'em. I'm gonna post my finished RGB GB2 ecto-1a pretty soon, it's still a little rough but I built it out of broken left over parts, so I'm kinda proud of how its actually turning out.
By tw1478
Here are some pictures of the Ecto graveyard I started with for my GB2 project.
So I didn't have a lot to work with but I gave it a shot. I started cutting off the bad pieces and gluing the good ones together with Gorilla Glue.
Most of the new seems came out ok.
Even the good parts still had some problems.
After I had a workable frame I began building a roof.
Applied the base color for my roof.
I had no doors or fins, so, I made some.
I know it still doesn't look like much, but I'm almost done with it, I just thought I'd post my build photos now since there's so many of them. I should have some finished photos in a few days. I know the color looks bland in these but the final paint job really brings it together.
By CaptCyan
It's the Ecto Body Shop! :lol:

It's nice to see "junk" Ectos turned into new. I especially like your re-use of the top "Tanks" and use of found objects to do the roof build.

How much of a pain were the doors to cast up? I've always wound up with bubbles in those that I've done.
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:It's the Ecto Body Shop! :lol:

It's nice to see "junk" Ectos turned into new. I especially like your re-use of the top "Tanks" and use of found objects to do the roof build.

How much of a pain were the doors to cast up? I've always wound up with bubbles in those that I've done.
I did 4 doors 4 fins and 1 back door, and hopefully I will never have to do any ever again lol. I never have problems with bubbles with the resin I use, but they had to be sanded and bondoed like a real car multiple times to make them fit. It might not have been so bad if it had been a factory body, but a build like this nothing goes together exactly like the factory mold it's just close. Making doors with molded in door panels is nice and makes the interior painting easier, but making the doors smooth, fit, work, and line up is very time consuming, so to answer your question how much of a pain?.....the Twinkie scenario comes to mind.
By CaptCyan
Hey tw!

Very nice job you did on your Ecto-1A. :nicejobyoudid: The Fins and Doors look good. I noticed you don't have as much "stuff" on the interior like your Ecto-1?
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:Hey tw!

Very nice job you did on your Ecto-1A. :nicejobyoudid: The Fins and Doors look good. I noticed you don't have as much "stuff" on the interior like your Ecto-1?
I wanted to cast up some more gadgets for it but the interior roof is pretty rough, it's chopped up and spliced in a place or two so I wasn't sure if I could make it look right. I thought about picking up some regular bondo and trying to fill in the entire roof, I just don't know how well it would stay since it would have to be pretty thick. What it needs is some kind of headliner to completely cover it I'm just not sure what would work. Maybe some kind of thin plastic sheet cut to fit? If I had something that I thought would work I'd take it apart and put it in. Any Ideas?
By tw1478
CaptCyan wrote:Yes, I do. Milliput Putty

http://www.micromark.com/superfine-grai ... ,7626.html

I use this to fill in gaps and sculpt small parts. It sticks to most plastics and can be feather edged with water, sanded when dry. Takes paint just like plastic.
Not a bad idea, Thanks Cap. I bet this would also work great on some of the other projects I'm tinkering with. :cool: appreciate the info. I may give this a try.
By boozer4
I've been wanting to make my own custom painted Kenner RGB heroes, so I'm excited to see this thread up and new!

What kind of paint did you use in your custom figures?

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]