Had the day off work so I got some more time to work on things

Got the Ion Arm mounted

To get my mounting holes right I just photocopy the bottom of the parts at 100% scale and punch out the holes as a template

Mark on the pack where they go, just remember to put the printed ink side towards the shell.

Apparently my Shell can sit upright upside down..

Looks pretty good to me! Tried using some washers as spacers like Chris Bosh and Grimmy did, may make a little shelf for it. Undecided

Here's where we are at so far! Lookin sweet!
Not really an update as I'm still waiting on some parts but I picked up one of these power supplies.

Considering adding it on like the Murray Pack had, but there's some speculations that the Hero Packs didn't even have this in the movies and it was just added for the display at Planet Hollywood.

Also it will add some significant weight to the pack because of the transformer in it. Weighs around 2lbs

What do you guys think?
Looking great so far! I like the power supply. I would love to grab one at some point if I can ever track one down for my pack. I tend to personally believe that it was in fact on the screen used packs. At least for GB 2. I would be very surprised if they went through the trouble of adding things just for a Planet Hollywood display. What would be the purpose of that? Why alter something just for a display? I have heard that theory myself, but I'm personally not buying it. I'd say if you were able to get your hands on one and you want to do it up right then bolt that sucker to the Mobo and paint it up, screen accurate style... If you don't use it can you send it to me??? ;)
Small progress! Got the PPD drilled and mounted, I drilled all the way through from the bottom. like on the Spengler pack

attached to the shell with 1" 10-32 bolts. I drew two holes on the area of the shell and drilled them slightly bigger then the bolts. I then taped the PPD on in the position I wanted and marked the drilling areas with a sharpie. Then Drilled and tapped for the 10-32 bolts
Kingpin, alphabeta001 liked this
Got my Nickatron bumper all hooked up and got a Nice Box from GBfans which included their new Bellows!

After seeking some help from Sir Nickatron I was able to find the correct size .5" Aluminium tube for the spacer. Looks great!

We are close on this one, I can feel it!
alphabeta001 liked this
Not sure how far you are from this but when you get to the barrel of the thrower can you post pictures of how you connect it to the green arm that extents that barrel out? I can't seem to find many threads that go over this step of the process. (Considering building a thrower after my pack is done).
Lowberg wrote:Not really an update as I'm still waiting on some parts but I picked up one of these power supplies.

Considering adding it on like the Murray Pack had, but there's some speculations that the Hero Packs didn't even have this in the movies and it was just added for the display at Planet Hollywood.

Also it will add some significant weight to the pack because of the transformer in it. Weighs around 2lbs

What do you guys think?
It wasn't in the movies, it was installed for the Planet Hollywood display purposes... However, I have one as well, and plan on installing it... Why? I think it looks cool, adds a neat little detail to it...
By Lowberg
csullivan1980 wrote:Not sure how far you are from this but when you get to the barrel of the thrower can you post pictures of how you connect it to the green arm that extents that barrel out? I can't seem to find many threads that go over this step of the process. (Considering building a thrower after my pack is done).

I'll message you a good thread tonight. I've got it favorited at home.
pyhasanon wrote:
Lowberg wrote:Not really an update as I'm still waiting on some parts but I picked up one of these power supplies.

What do you guys think?
It wasn't in the movies, it was installed for the Planet Hollywood display purposes...
Where did you get this information? I have heard this here and there before, but it makes zero sense to me. Why would they add things that weren't there in the movie just to display the pack at PH? Who cares if the box is, or isn't there? The box isn't even visible on the Minnesota (Murray) pack. Why would they add it? I would have to see some more definitive reasoning for why people thing this was installed later before I would believe it.
By the way, Lowberg, if you are using the Powertec, how do you plan on painting it? Same black paint you will use on the pack? Plastikote, maybe? Will you prime it first?
By CPU64

What do you guys think?

Don't know if you saw it already, but I made a fake power supply with nothing inside, and that's where I keep the batteries for the light and sound boards.

You know what man? I was thinking the same thing! I just have to think of a way to replicate the "transformer" part like you did since that weighs the most.
pyhasanon wrote:By the way, Lowberg, if you are using the Powertec, how do you plan on painting it? Same black paint you will use on the pack? Plastikote, maybe? Will you prime it first?
Didn't really think about that. Probably just the same black and I won't prime it. The more paint chipping the better on this pack!
Got the Ion Arm resistors and elbow drilled and attached

I'm going to have to shorten the Ion Arm Rod, it's a bit too long in my opinion but I cant seem to get it out of the aluminum block. I'll probably just saw 1.5" off the end and try and round it with the dremel
Corey91 liked this
Looking good, you are farther along than I am. How are you planing on attaching the N filter? I have mine all machined to fit onto the cyclotron but have not had it welded yet due to being unsure on the best way to attach it.
By Lowberg
Funny you should ask!

I wasn't really a fan of the N filter I had, The welds were really bulging and it seemed a tad too short for this shell. Anyways, I found out that Freeky Geeky makes pre-cut Nfilters that would fit my shell with some minor adjustments so I ended up ordering one. It's got some plates pre-welded in that I'm going to tap and bolt to the shell from the inside. I think the welds look a lot nicer on this one too!

Small update: Haven't had too much time to work on the pack but I have this week off from school so lets do work son!

Got my awesome FreekyGeeky N filter mounted on the shell. I decided not to rivet it on but to mount it with bolts. After building a few packs and seeing problems with my buddies pack, I feel like tapped parts and bolts are the best way to attach things. If you use more permanent methods for parts such as epoxy and rivets it's just going to be a pain in the arse when things break or need to be tightened. You can lock things down as much as you want and they will still get loose/break eventually, trust me. It's just so much easier to open up the pack and tighten parts down than to try and remove epoxy and rivets.

There was a tiny bit of wiggle so I added a 3rd bolt on the rim of the cyclotron for more support (This N-filter had a plate welded there too). It's rock solid now and has that look of the hero pack N-filters. I'm glad I went with the cut N-filter instead of just cutting a hole in my shell.

My beam and Line tubes had some "dents" in the corners. I guess this is just a common artifact of grinding down the welds, there will sometimes be air bubbles underneath the welds. So I filled that corner with metal grade epoxy putty, Just needs some final sanding!

My friend graciously gave me some Legris elbows replicas he got in an ebay lot (We think they are Nickatron) They look great and just need some touch up paint!

Lastly I've been working on some methods to weather the GBfans bellows to more accurately match the color of the screen used ones. Still a work in progress.

That's it for today!
Kingpin liked this
The bellow's weathering didn't work out, I need to refine the process some more. I'm going to try and electroplate it again soon.

I have a lot to do still but I couldn't resist putting everything I had together so far. Very excited, I hope the weather gets warmer soon so I can paint!

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]