Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
First caller asks about his thoughts on Bill Murray not returning for any version of GBIII, Aykroyd responds that he was disappinted, but not upset, and that their personal relationship "transcends business".

Second caller asks if Channing Tatum will be in a Ghostbusters movie, Aykroyd responds "He is working with two writers of a new version of Ghostbusters, I cant say much about it but he has a great story and a great idea. He might be a Ghostbuster, that might be the next one to go."

"...Beyond the (Feig) version, a different iteration of the story and the franchise, and a really cool premise."

That's about it.
Considering how A Nightmare on Elm Street is being re-rebooted I think Feigbusters will follow the same path. It will not bomb but neither will be a smash hit. And the "sequel" will be a Ghost Corp production that reboot the franchise setting the story in continuity with the original movies.
Raystantz Italy wrote:Considering how A Nightmare on Elm Street is being re-rebooted I think Feigbusters will follow the same path. It will not bomb but neither will be a smash hit. And the "sequel" will be a Ghost Corp production that reboot the franchise setting the story in continuity with the original movies.
If The New Ghostbuster doesn't bring in the money I highly doubt they'll just turn around and put out another reboot. Ghostbusters will be back on the shelf for a while. And even when it returns, it might make sense for them to reboot it again because more of yhe general audience would be familiar with Feig's film.
Anyone who wants to see any new kind of Ghostbusters film past the reboot better hope that it's a huge hit. Sony is desperate for franchises and are banking on GB's being a hit.

Having said that, I am believe this movie is going to be massive. It will exceed financial expectations and will open the door for future sequels and spin-offs. I won't be surprised if this does $100 Million opening weekend. Fantastic 4 is going to pull in close to half of that and that's with terrible reviews and a bloated summer of blockbusters preceding it.
Let's not forget Feig and McCarthy's popularity with the general public, they eat up their movies and love it... it shouldn't be hard for this movie to rake in the big bucks...
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Anyone who wants to see any new kind of Ghostbusters film past the reboot better hope that it's a huge hit. Sony is desperate for franchises and are banking on GB's being a hit.

Having said that, I am believe this movie is going to be massive. It will exceed financial expectations and will open the door for future sequels and spin-offs. I won't be surprised if this does $100 Million opening weekend. Fantastic 4 is going to pull in close to half of that and that's with terrible reviews and a bloated summer of blockbusters preceding it.
Has Feig produced a movie that generated $100 million during it's opening weekend? Why did Sony move the release date? Is there another movie that will open on July 22, 2016 that they are afraid of? If Feigbusters gets terrible reviews, it will be a bust for Sony. A $100 million+ opening weekend is in the realm of Star Wars and Marvel Universe films. Feigbusters is not in the same league.

I think Sony made a mistake in not forcing Feig to cast a mixed gender GB crew. An all female GB crew will keep a lot of males between the ages of 4 to 35 away. Pretty big demographic that is being ignored. My boys range in age from 7 to 14. None of them want anything to do with Feigbusters. So that saves me money from buying any of the Feigbusters merchandise. Only the wife has any interest in having me make a Feigbusters Pack for her to use on Halloween.

On the reverse side, I hope that the Tatum and Pratt GB film has a couple of female GBs to avoid the reverse fate of Feigbusters.
So $100 Million is probably pushing the envelope but Injust wouldn't underestimate how excited the general public is for this movie. I was at a screening of Ghostbusters at the fox theatre last week in Atlanta, and there were over 2,000 people there, mostly families and lots of little kids who love Ghostbusters and couldn't care less about the male/female dynamics of the team.

I just think that a lot of the people saying that the movie will bomb or not be "too" successful are completely avoiding the fact that Ghostbusters is a major franchise that transcends gender. This isn't Transformers or GI Joe, Ghostbusters is going to be a mega hit with all age groups and demographics. This is all my opinion obviously but that's what I think is going to happen.
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:This isn't Transformers...
You are REALLY underestimating Transformers.
GB is nowhere near Transformers as a license.

Sure it has one of the most recognizable logos in the world, but it's been absent from the general public for a couple decades. Transformers has been on television and had toys on shelves consistently since 1984. In addition there have been a semi-constant stream of comics and the recent movies. Many generations have grown up with Transformers.
goldenhawk wrote:
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Why did Sony move the release date? Is there another movie that will open on July 22, 2016 that they are afraid of?
It was probably moved forward to allow for more 'summer break' sales. That or to fall within a certain financial quarter.
skankerzero wrote:
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:This isn't Transformers...
You are REALLY underestimating Transformers.
GB is nowhere near Transformers as a license.

Sure it has one of the most recognizable logos in the world, but it's been absent from the general public for a couple decades. Transformers has been on television and had toys on shelves consistently since 1984. In addition there have been a semi-constant stream of comics and the recent movies. Many generations have grown up with Transformers.
This is true. The Transformers Brand is huge compared to the Ghostbusters. There is a Transformers cartoon of TV every now and then. And the toys range from the kid friendly Rescue Bots all the way to the Masterpiece Collection for adults that grew up with the brand since the 1980s.

And the movies have continuity. Sure there has been a change in the human cast. But so far, no reboots!
To clarify, the Transformers brand is largely aimed at the young male demographic. The entire point I am making regardless of opinion on the reboot is that I have a feeling it is going to very successful. To me, the deck is stacked in a way that works on all levels. You have a worldwide recognized brand being helmed by a successful modern comedy director and a great cast.

Look at Spy. An original (meaning non-franchise) movie that is Rated R, released in a summer dominate by big franchise tentpoles (Avengers, Jurassic World, Terminator, Ant-Man, etc.) The film has made over $100 million domestically and another $125 million in international business.

An original R rated comedy making 4X it's budget back in total gross is a huge win for everyone involved. Now, imagine the same director, same star actress, and the Ghostbusters brand. I'm telling you right now, this movie is going to be big. Jurassic World is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time, and it wasn't that great. And also, it could have been a reboot, and the mass public would not have noticed or cared. Now, will Ghostbusters do that kind of business, I would think probably not. But you have to remember, the general movie going public is not represented by message boards and Facebook comment threads. People are going to go to this movie in droves and if it's good and well reviewed, then obviously that leads to an even bigger return.

I just feel that the people saying "It won't do well" or "It will bomb" or "It's another RoboCop" are talking from the wishful side of things and not a realistic side.

Now, having said all of that, if you're rooting against this movie, that's fine. Go for it, I could care less. I like Ghostbusters...a lot. I like that it's being reintroduced into pop culture in a big way. more merch, more toys, more movies, games, etc. It's all good to me.
Full-Roaming-Vapor liked this
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:To clarify, the Transformers brand is largely aimed at the young male demographic. The entire point I am making regardless of opinion on the reboot is that I have a feeling it is going to very successful. To me, the deck is stacked in a way that works on all levels. You have a worldwide recognized brand being helmed by a successful modern comedy director and a great cast.

Look at Spy. An original (meaning non-franchise) movie that is Rated R, released in a summer dominate by big franchise tentpoles (Avengers, Jurassic World, Terminator, Ant-Man, etc.) The film has made over $100 million domestically and another $125 million in international business.

An original R rated comedy making 4X it's budget back in total gross is a huge win for everyone involved. Now, imagine the same director, same star actress, and the Ghostbusters brand. I'm telling you right now, this movie is going to be big. Jurassic World is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time, and it wasn't that great. And also, it could have been a reboot, and the mass public would not have noticed or cared. Now, will Ghostbusters do that kind of business, I would think probably not. But you have to remember, the general movie going public is not represented by message boards and Facebook comment threads. People are going to go to this movie in droves and if it's good and well reviewed, then obviously that leads to an even bigger return.

I just feel that the people saying "It won't do well" or "It will bomb" or "It's another RoboCop" are talking from the wishful side of things and not a realistic side.

Now, having said all of that, if you're rooting against this movie, that's fine. Go for it, I could care less. I like Ghostbusters...a lot. I like that it's being reintroduced into pop culture in a big way. more merch, more toys, more movies, games, etc. It's all good to me.
Yes, but Feigbusters is not aimed at the young male demographic. The demographic that buys and collects all those action figures and stuff. Also, if it gets an R rating (because that is all MM and Feig do), most parents won't take their kids to see it. With a $150 million budget, Feigbusters needs to make that and more to break even. I can see $200 million. But $400 to $500 million maybe out of reach.
Well that's the point I was making, it will definitely be PG-13. I don't think this movie is going to be aimed at a female demographic any more than it is a male one. It's going to be a big summer studio release with mass appeal.
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Well that's the point I was making, it will definitely be PG-13. I don't think this movie is going to be aimed at a female demographic any more than it is a male one. It's going to be a big summer studio release with mass appeal.
Feigbusters may not be aimed at a female demographic, but it certainly ignores the young male demographic. Feigbusters has already splintered the fan base and the general public. (See tweets for the hospital visit.) So it already does not/lacks the mass appeal of GB 1 and 2.
goldenhawk wrote: Feigbusters may not be aimed at a female demographic, but it certainly ignores the young male demographic. Feigbusters has already splintered the fan base and the general public. (See tweets for the hospital visit.) So it already does not/lacks the mass appeal of GB 1 and 2.
How does it ignore the young male demographic? Because it doesn't star a young male? (Note Ironman stars a male actor who is over the hill). Or because it doesn't star a male actor? (Note Lucy didn't star a male as the lead). This is an assumption we as a community have made. We don't know the plot. We don't know how this thing will be marketed.

The notion that Ghostbusters had mass appeal pre-June 8, 1984 is without merit. All anyone had seen was marketing that featured a couple of guys who use to be on SNL and who had been in some hit or miss movies. The movie itself managed to capture lightning in a bottle and became a hit with mass appeal, but it wasn't a movie with immediate mass appeal. That came later.

I use to not eat broccoli. I hated the way it tasted. I now eat it three to five times a week and love it. I gave it a chance, no reason to not give this movie a chance. Much :love: to you.
Ron Daniels wrote:
goldenhawk wrote: Feigbusters may not be aimed at a female demographic, but it certainly ignores the young male demographic. Feigbusters has already splintered the fan base and the general public. (See tweets for the hospital visit.) So it already does not/lacks the mass appeal of GB 1 and 2.
How does it ignore the young male demographic? Because it doesn't star a young male? (Note Ironman stars a male actor who is over the hill). Or because it doesn't star a male actor? (Note Lucy didn't star a male as the lead). This is an assumption we as a community have made. We don't know the plot. We don't know how this thing will be marketed.

The notion that Ghostbusters had mass appeal pre-June 8, 1984 is without merit. All anyone had seen was marketing that featured a couple of guys who use to be on SNL and who had been in some hit or miss movies. The movie itself managed to capture lightning in a bottle and became a hit with mass appeal, but it wasn't a movie with immediate mass appeal. That came later.

I use to not eat broccoli. I hated the way it tasted. I now eat it three to five times a week and love it. I gave it a chance, no reason to not give this movie a chance. Much :love: to you.
Ron, wasn't the plot reveal in the emails released on Wikileaks from the Sony hack. A ghost villain stolen from the old horror flick Shocker. Some crap about police and the military dancing in the streets during the final battle. The only redeeming thing I have seen is McKinnon's Mousey GB who looks like Egon from RBG. My boys may not want to see Feigbusters, but at least it is making my wife consider putting on a GB uniform. If that's the demographic this movie is aimed at, then it is a success in that aspect.
I don't see this as being a fantastic 4 like flop. I don't see this as a Jurassic world smash either. If I had to guess it'll come in like terminator genisys. It'll make money, but not enough to send a tingle down the studios leg for a direct sequel. It will be creative enough for a couple of great scenes, but not creatively free enough for one or more of the principles to want another bite at the apple. For fans, you'll either enjoy it for those couple of great moments, or you'll be disappointed in it and avoid it.

Break even is going to be high considering the production budget and the necessary promotion budget to stir interest. Sony only gets half of that box office gross, so someone over there must feel the film will be able to make the box office gross of 500 million for the break even (154 million for production and 100 million in promotion) and then make enough beyond that to turn profit.

Goldenhawks synopsis is what I've also picked out of the hacks and other sources, and with what's been revealed in the shooting leaks, seems to be accurate so far. There also seems to be some cut and paste from the 84 Ghostbusters going on as far as act 1 is concerned.

From a personal standpoint, I'm trying to find something to send a tingle down my leg about this film but there hasn't been anything revealed or leaked to make me want to spend $12 in a theater. Maybe the trailer will change that, but I'm just not feeling this incarnation of Ghostbusters yet.

Ill pop back into the reboot section again once we've got a trailer to discuss, I've said all I can for whats currently out there. :)
AMC78 liked this
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Anyone who wants to see any new kind of Ghostbusters film past the reboot better hope that it's a huge hit. Sony is desperate for franchises and are banking on GB's being a hit.

I agree with your first two sentences.

Your third and fourth sentences, I'm not sure about. I hope so.

Your fifth sentence seems a bit too optimistic, but we'll see.

Your sixth sentence...no. Just no. Fantastic Four might get 25 million, but no where near 50 this weekend. By all accounts it's horrendous.
skankerzero wrote:I'm rooting heavily for this film and I know it will do well. I'm only saying that Transformers as a brand is stronger.

I'm estimating 350 - 400 million total worldwide. Though that's just me being optimistic.
$400 million worldwide on a $150 million budget is a failure. It's Tron Legacy numbers. Not good enough - Ghostbusters needs $500 million.
goldenhawk wrote:wasn't the plot reveal in the emails released on Wikileaks from the Sony hack. A ghost villain stolen from the old horror flick Shocker. Some crap about police and the military dancing in the streets during the final battle.
Please don't remind me of those horrible details. Aaarrgh!!! 70% chance this new movie sucks if nothing has changed since those emails. By God those plot points sound abysmal.
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Why did Sony move the release date? Is there another movie that will open on July 22, 2016 that they are afraid of?
Moving a summer movie from late July to earlier in the summer is always a good thing. Shows that the studio has confidence in it. Closer to the beginning of the summer a movie is released, generally the better the studio thinks it has the potential to do. That's why so many blockbusters open in May and June.
goldenhawk wrote: Ron, wasn't the plot reveal in the emails released on Wikileaks from the Sony hack. A ghost villain stolen from the old horror flick Shocker. Some crap about police and the military dancing in the streets during the final battle. The only redeeming thing I have seen is McKinnon's Mousey GB who looks like Egon from RBG. My boys may not want to see Feigbusters, but at least it is making my wife consider putting on a GB uniform. If that's the demographic this movie is aimed at, then it is a success in that aspect.
That was indeed the leaked plot. But there has been no independent verification of the plot following the leaked details, save and except a few background details, which are counter-balanced by the lack of Peter Dinklage who was to be that villain.
Is there an official title for this movie yet? Sony isn't committed to just calling it "Ghostbusters". They're still calling it "the new Ghostbusters" and "the new Ghostbusters movie" in press release.
TexasBuster wrote:Is there an official title for this movie yet? Sony isn't committed to just calling it "Ghostbusters". They're still calling it "the new Ghostbusters" and "the new Ghostbusters movie" in press release.
Actually, everything I've read about it indicates that it will just be called "Ghostbusters." Since it's a reboot, there would be no need to call it Ghostbusters 3 or The New Ghostbusters.
skankerzero wrote:Yeah, that's par the course for all reboots.

To the fanbase it will just be Ghostbusters 2016.
There is a bunch of fans that call the reboot Feigbusters. Fits nicely.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]