Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
HunterCC wrote:What counters my theory that GB16 didn't deserve an award like the Nick "kids" choice award?
What counters it? Well, the people who felt it was deserving.

It's your personal opinion that it didn't deserve to win, and you're perfectly entitled to think that, but that doesn't mean anything improper has actually occurred, and the case you've provided is still only circumstantial.

It really isn't any skin off of your nose if people actually liked it, and does it really matter that Answer The Call got the award and not Dawn of Justice, Pete's Dragon, Rogue One, TMNT: Out of the Shadows, or Civil War?

I'm almost relieved that Answer The Call didn't get an Oscar, I dread to think of the theories that'd spin out of that awarding. :P
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:
HunterCC wrote:
Aw c'mon. You don't want to to go over the movie flop numbers in new and exciting ways related to kids viewership? :)

Considering the speculation necessary since it's the parents buying stuff not the kids, ok agree to disagree on that?
So of all the kids I have seen with the full GB:ATC costume is it the parents that are forcing the kids to wear the costume or are the kids forcing their parents to buy the costume :)

Yes it is the parents buying the stuff but normally they buy the stuff the kids want. So I guess that means kids like the movie enough to want to dress up as the characters. lol
Good on those kids. The box office, disc sales, etc. suggest the kids that saw GB16 were a minority.
Mod note: my apologies, in thinking I was working with a quoted copy of the post, it would appear I've accidentally deleted most of the original post when making my reply.

Again, it looks sketchy as heck for GB16 to win.
HunterCC wrote:Good on the comic, if true. I'm just talking about the movie.
Why shrug off the comic selling out for the first time for a while as irrelevant? It's a positive​ indication people like the movie and the new part of the franchise. (And kids buy comics as well).

Also, I believe Halloween helped GB:ATC gain traction as well, with a lot of new people buying the costumes and going ghosthunting!

Just look at all those pictures of kids having fun! (And these are just a handful Feig retweeted, on his Twitter are many, many more).

http://ew.com/article/2016/10/29/ghostb ... -costumes/

But ehh, I don't think anything we say will convince you, or vice versa.
Let's respectfully agree to disagree and leave it at that.
HunterCC wrote:
Kingpin wrote:Again, it looks sketchy as heck for GB16 to win.
Only to a handful of folks, and that's partly motivated by some who make a big deal about their not understanding how anyone can like the reboot. let's be honest here, most of the support for your theory has come from people who aren't fans of the reboot, and have a somewhat vested interest in undermining what accomplishments/accolades it wins.

Of course, my dismissal of the theory can (not wholly unfairly) be chalked up to a bias in favour of the reboot, but I'm not advocating that a conspiracy took place.

Would you be willing to consider that nothing improper actually went on?

As for the screen grab, it's of a small portion of the crowd, rather than a wider selection. I forget if it was stated which segment from the show it came from, and we also need to remember that kids are less skilled at masking their boredom than adults, some parts of the show probably were boring for the kids, which may account for why those pictured look uninterested in what's going on.
@Kingpin, I think you accidentally removed HunterCC post with your reply, hehe.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
Alphagaia wrote:I'll let this link do the talking:
I wouldn't exactly call that a great list of movies but that's current Hollywood for you.
Alphagaia wrote:The kids attachment to the franchise is less seasoned, much shorter, or even non existent before this movie came out.
For them it was just a brand new thing that ticks of a few boxes kids like in a big way.
Hold your horses there, you don't want me to bring out my story again about a kid noticing my Ghostbusters t-shirt as I came out of the gym. A lot of kids knew Ghostbusters pre-reboot.
Alphagaia wrote:Besides, apart on some of the adult Forums, the controversy has long since died down.
Agreed, now the reboot is simply the butt the jokes as to how bad it is. :lol:
JurorNo.2 wrote:More like they are the reason the term "soft reboot" had to be created, lol.
But you do know the 1950s Ben Hur isn't a reboot or sequel of the silent movie. It's an interpretation.
JurorNo.2 wrote:If a movie is perfect, then it can't be hurt by a reboot. So stop worrying.
But it is unnecessary and goes some way to dilute the reputation of the original. Remake the bad movies, not the good ones.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Certainly not from you if you're rationalizing remakes by calling them "interpretations." ;)
Again I wouldn't call the 1930s Wizard of Oz a remake of the silent movies. Not sure why that's difficult to understand. That's like calling Muppets Christmas Carol a remake of the 50s version. :-?
featofstrength wrote:Ah, Super 8...fondly remembered for its horrible CGI kid vomit.
Everybody kept hyping the film as the next ET but when I finally saw the film it came across like an average monster movie with children.
Kingpin wrote:I'm almost relieved that Answer The Call didn't get an Oscar, I dread to think of the theories that'd spin out of that awarding. :P
If it did win an Oscar for anything I'd be questioning the quality of the contenders that year. :-D
HunterCC wrote:Again, it looks sketchy as heck for GB16 to win.
Only to a handful of folks, and that's partly motivated by some who make a big deal about their not understanding how anyone can like the reboot. let's be honest here, most of the support for your theory has come from people who aren't fans of the reboot, and have a somewhat vested interest in undermining what accomplishments/accolades it wins.

Of course, my dismissal of the theory can (not wholly unfairly) be chalked up to a bias in favour of the reboot, but I'm not advocating that a conspiracy took place.

Would you be willing to consider that nothing improper actually went on?

As for the screen grab, it's of a small portion of the crowd, rather than a wider selection. I forget if it was stated which segment from the show it came from, and we also need to remember that kids are less skilled at masking their boredom than adults, some parts of the show probably were boring for the kids, which may account for why those pictured look uninterested in what's going on.
Alphagaia liked this
pferreira1983 wrote: But it is unnecessary and goes some way to dilute the reputation of the original.
Um, no, I have literally never seen that happen to a movie after it's been remade or rebooted. If anything, originals only gain in reputation because they came first and paved the way.
pferreira1983 wrote:But it is unnecessary and goes some way to dilute the reputation of the original.
None of the remakes of King Kong, Ben Hur*, Clash of the Titans* or Magnificent SevenorGhostbusters have diluted the reputation of the originals, I think we're just seeing more of that melodrama I've previously remarked on.

*These didn't impress me when I saw the previews for them.
JurorNo.2 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Um, no, I have literally never seen that happen to a movie after it's been remade or rebooted. If anything, originals only gain in reputation because they came first and paved the way.
Kingpin wrote:None of the remakes of King Kong, Ben Hur*, Clash of the Titans* or Magnificent SevenorGhostbusters have diluted the reputation of the originals, I think we're just seeing more of that melodrama I've previously remarked on.
I think any movie franchise wants a good reputation. In conversations you don't want to be like "oh Clash of the Titans was great, shame about those two terrible reboot movies that were recently a couple of years back". It applies slightly less to sequels as well. No one talks about The Godfather Trilogy without saying the third movie is a let down. Yeah it doesn't ruin the original but in people's eyes it's something they bring up. By the way I happen to like the third movie but it's place amongst the first two is open to criticism. A lot of people who watch remakes remember the original. The more controversial the remake, the more popular the film that's being remade the more people will criticise it. Another example would be the Robocop movies. There's no melodrama in what I'm saying. I wouldn't unlike some people say it replaces the original. That's absurd. The original will always be there but the clean slate or the legacy of the franchise will be tarnished somewhat.
pferreira1983 wrote:In conversations you don't want to be like "oh Clash of the Titans was great, shame about those two terrible reboot movies that were recently a couple of years back".
Ehhh, that's not damaging the original movie's reputation though. Again, that's elevating the original. And frankly, it's the individual fan's choice to dwell on the negative (which they do far too often; again, why I shredded my geek card last year).
No one talks about The Godfather Trilogy without saying the third movie is a let down. Yeah it doesn't ruin the original but in people's eyes it's something they bring up.
It's not the big deal you're making it out to be though.
the clean slate or the legacy of the franchise will be tarnished somewhat.
Lol, again, it's not that big a deal. When you take chances in life, sometimes your shining armor will get a bit tarnished. That's what happens when we live, and try, as opposed to sitting in our rooms all day.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Ehhh, that's not damaging the original movie's reputation though. Again, that's elevating the original.
But the point I'm trying to make is that it's always in the back of your mind whenever you bring up the original that's why the less remakes the better.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Lol, again, it's not that big a deal. When you take chances in life, sometimes your shining armor will get a bit tarnished. That's what happens when we live, and try, as opposed to sitting in our rooms all day.
It doesn't make franchise retrospectives on Den of Geek any easier to read though does it?
pferreira1983 wrote:But the point I'm trying to make is that it's always in the back of your mind whenever you bring up the original
So what? If that's your biggest problem in life, consider yourself fortunate.
JurorNo.2 wrote:]It doesn't make franchise retrospectives on Den of Geek any easier to read though does it?
...seriously, am I supposed to feel sorry for you somehow?
JurorNo.2 wrote:So what? If that's your biggest problem in life, consider yourself fortunate.
Do you support any teams? To use a football (soccer) analogy it's like following a team and wanting to make sure they don't put a foot wrong.
JurorNo.2 wrote:...seriously, am I supposed to feel sorry for you somehow?
No I'm trying to show you that for people who really enjoy movies making sure a ship steers well is important. People get paid money to that as well.
pferreira1983 wrote:Yeah it doesn't ruin the original but in people's eyes it's something they bring up.
And that happens with everything. People will praise a band's A-side and critique the B-sides, an actor/actress will get compared to the previous performance of the role they're playing, the newest Aston Martin will always be compared to the DB5.

The takeaway I get from the sentiment you're laying down is you'd prefer people to not talk about the reboot at all.
pferreira1983 wrote:There's no melodrama in what I'm saying.
You suggested the reputation of the original has been diluted by the remake, (and later remarked that the "clean slate" had been "tarnished" that is being a little melodramatic (while also glossing over the fact that some people would argue the slate was tarnished with Ghostbusters II not being as good a film as the original).

The original Ghostbusters is still as loved and as fondly remembered as it was before the reboot was announced, its reputation remains untouched.
pferreira1983 wrote:But the point I'm trying to make is that it's always in the back of your mind whenever you bring up the original that's why the less remakes the better.
It doesn't really dwell on me the way it seems to dwell with you. Sometimes it doesn't even occur at all. And if it comes up in conversation... well, then it comes up. The world doesn't end just because someone mentioned the remake. :P

With no malice intended, I fear you're a bit too invested in movies.
HunterCC wrote:Mod note: my apologies, in thinking I was working with a quoted copy of the post, it would appear I've accidentally deleted most of the original post when making my reply.

Again, it looks sketchy as heck for GB16 to win.
No problem, Kingpin. If I had a nickel for every time *I* screwed up a message or email or text, I'd be a rich man. :)
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
HunterCC wrote:Good on the comic, if true. I'm just talking about the movie.
Why shrug off the comic selling out for the first time for a while as irrelevant? It's a positive​ indication people like the movie and the new part of the franchise. (And kids buy comics as well).
So Alph......... if you trying to say that comic sales are an indicator of people's opinion of the movie, are you finally willing to accept that the box office, disc sales, and merch sales (stuff going on clearance early and lack of hard numbers in retail) are strong indicators of the public's opinion of the movie as well? :)

And is the comic just GB16 stuff, or some kind of crossover, or just something based off of GB16? Sort of like sure RGB could be considered just a part of GB84, but EGB really was more of it's own thing, even though it was a straight up continuation of the series.

And what I was saying about "only talking about the movie" was that the voting on Nick was about the movie, not any comic, radio show, or theater play. But sure, I'm eager to discuss all sales numbers involving GB16. So how is the comic selling compared to other titles?
Alphagaia wrote:Also, I believe Halloween helped GB:ATC gain traction as well, with a lot of new people buying the costumes and going ghosthunting!

Just look at all those pictures of kids having fun! (And these are just a handful Feig retweeted, on his Twitter are many, many more).

http://ew.com/article/2016/10/29/ghostb ... -costumes/

But ehh, I don't think anything we say will convince you, or vice versa.
Let's respectfully agree to disagree and leave it at that..
GB16 certainly sparked sales of GB84 related merch. And it's an open question how much stuff like Stay Puft and the "no ghost" labels are GB16 or nostalgia GB84 related.

Showing pics of kids wearing GB16 merch does pale in comparison to hard numbers, and lack thereof, that show GB16 wasn't popular.
Kingpin wrote:Only to a handful of folks, and that's partly motivated by some who make a big deal about their not understanding how anyone can like the reboot. let's be honest here, most of the support for your theory has come from people who aren't fans of the reboot, and have a somewhat vested interest in undermining what accomplishments/accolades it wins.
Umm, KIngpin? The support I've repeatedly cited comes from the box office and disc retail and merch news and Nick's own statement of how they pick winners in their contest. Please show how those sources have a "have a somewhat vested interest in undermining what accomplishments/accolades" (of GB16).
Kingpin wrote:Of course, my dismissal of the theory can (not wholly unfairly) be chalked up to a bias in favour of the reboot, but I'm not advocating that a conspiracy took place.
Kingpin, you just said: "most of the support for your theory has come from people who aren't fans of the reboot, and have a somewhat vested interest in undermining what accomplishments/accolades it wins."

It really looks like you're decrying conspiracy theories, while advocating your own.
Kingpin wrote:Would you be willing to consider that nothing improper actually went on?
Sure it's possible, but not likely. Just like it's possible that Trump did nothing wrong despite available evidence:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ls/474726/

But neither case is likely. In both cases, the Nick voting and Trump, the evidence looks sleazy.
Kingpin wrote:As for the screen grab, it's of a small portion of the crowd, rather than a wider selection. I forget if it was stated which segment from the show it came from, and we also need to remember that kids are less skilled at masking their boredom than adults, some parts of the show probably were boring for the kids, which may account for why those pictured look uninterested in what's going on.
Sigh, I think I made it clear in that post (though is that the post gone now?) where I reposted a screen grab Spaceballz put up:

I'm not saying this picture is actually showing the audience reaction to the award in question. I'm just saying it fits the situation. The pic is a pretty good metaphor of adults overwriting a "kid's choice" award, which seems to be the case here.

EDIT: Tried to fix quotes of who said what. Anybody spots a mistake on my part, plz let me know.
Last edited by Kingpin on April 3rd, 2017, 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.Reason: fixed quote attribute
pferreira1983 liked this
HunterCC wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
So Alph......... if you trying to say that comic sales are an indicator of people's opinion of the movie, are you finally willing to accept that the box office, disc sales, and merch sales (stuff going on clearance early and lack of hard numbers in retail) are strong indicators of the public's opinion of the movie as well?
I never said the numbers of BO, merch etc are not indicators of how popular a franchise is. We just happen to disagree how to interpret them, while some even don't have numbers assigned to them yet, as I also explained in the last PM I send you.

I'm happy to engage you there if you feel the need to respond to it or if you want to talk about it further. I just don't see the need to fill up the thread about it for the nth time since we already discussed those particular interpretations at great length.

I don't think anything will change if we run pass those arguments again, though. Which is why we can also end it with a agree to disagree.

Also, you misquoted Kingpins responses to you as mine.
This Post Contains Spoilers
So LOL, I guess? And ROTFL... (But really, let's try and change the tone of this argument​.)
Last edited by Alphagaia on April 2nd, 2017, 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alphagaia wrote:
HunterCC wrote:
So Alph......... if you trying to say that comic sales are an indicator of people's opinion of the movie, are you finally willing to accept that the box office, disc sales, and merch sales (stuff going on clearance early and lack of hard numbers in retail) are strong indicators of the public's opinion of the movie as well?
I never said the numbers of BO, merch etc are not indicators of how popular a franchise is. We just happen to disagree how to interpret them, while some even have numbers assigned to them yet, as I also explained in the last PM I send you. I'm happy to engage you there if you feel the need to respond to it or ifyou want to talk about it further. I just don't see the need to fill up the thread about it for the nth time since we already discussed those particular interpretations at great length I don't think anything will change if we run pass those arguments again, though. Which is why we can also end it with a agree to disagree.

Also, you misquoted Kingpins responses to you as mine.
LOL, I guess? And ROTFL?
To be fair, your post where Kingpin's reply is, is screwed up, looks like Kingpins quote is mine, and my quote is his. Made it confusing when I tried to reply. I'll fix my post, please fix yours.

So.... are you going to interpret the box office, disc sales, merch, etc. the same way you interpret the comic sales? I'm just asking if you are going to be consistent on this or not, lol.

ROTFL - rolling on the floor laughing (not literally, but more than LOL)

I'll check my PMs after editing my post.
When the movie was in the theaters I went with a few friends who were not born when the original movie came out.

One friend had made a point of seeing the original movie before seeing the new movie.

I asked his view of the movie after we saw it. He thought it was good and did not deserve the controversy that had followed it. He had heard of some of the rumours.

I then asked him what he had thought of the original. I was shocked when he said he though the new movie was better.

So without the new movie this friend would not have seen the original movie. (Although I was just about to disown him for not liking the original better)

I also realized that I was looking at the original movie through rose coloured glasses and that to a younger person who has not seen the original movie before, it may appear dated.

pferreira1983 wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:If a movie is perfect, then it can't be hurt by a reboot. So stop worrying.
But it is unnecessary and goes some way to dilute the reputation of the original. Remake the bad movies, not the good ones.
Sav C, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
HunterCC wrote:Umm, KIngpin? The support I've repeatedly cited comes from the box office and disc retail and merch news and Nick's own statement of how they pick winners in their contest.
It was clear I was referring to the fans here who support your theory, and you just have to look at their posts here, and in other parts of the reboot sub-section to see that their support of your theory is motivated by their general dislike of the reboot. You may be one of the few exceptions in being someone who enjoyed the reboot, but it doesn't disprove that the majority of subscribers to the theory generally look for the worst in the reboot.
HunterCC wrote:It really looks like you're decrying conspiracy theories, while advocating your own.
I generally dislike conspiracy theories, and it doesn't thrill me one bit that I may be proposing my own (though, I could argue that one's proposing a conspiracy with some actual basis to support it, and one's proposing a conspiracy theory with only a circumstantial basis to support it). I feel that what I'm proposing retains a bit of water based on the actions of reboot-opposing fans who have posted here, and on other sites like the IMDb forums and youtube (there've been plenty of posts from there quote here, and in news articles of reboot-opposing fans boasting about orchestrating down-voting campaigns). Some reboot-opposing fans conspired to tactically down-vote the film's trailers on youtube, that's a proven fact, so it isn't a stretch to accept that some of them would leap at anything that allows them to undermine anything positive the reboot might achieve.
HunterCC wrote:Image
So as I thought, an out-of-context screenshot of the event, which may not even have any bearing on the reboot getting it's three awards during the show. I'm sure if we looked long and hard enough, we'd find equally-bored looking attendees at the Oscars, but it won't mean they're bored at any particular film.
Kingpin wrote:It was clear I was referring to the fans here who support your theory, and you just have to look at their posts here, and in other parts of the reboot sub-section to see that their support of your theory is motivated by their general dislike of the reboot. You may be one of the few exceptions in being someone who enjoyed the reboot, but it doesn't disprove that the majority of subscribers to the theory generally look for the worst in the reboot.
Where I live the phrase "support for one's theory" usually refers to evidence, not just other people's opinions. So I guess that's the disconnect between us there. I thought you were challenging my sources on box office, disc sales, etc.

Oh, I hated the movie. When the GB16s were talking with the curators in front of the mansion, just before they picked up the keys and went in to meet "Spewy" the vomit ghost, I was resigned to watching the rest just to say I'd seen it.

I don't think hating a movie invalidates one's opinion on it. I can accept people's tastes differ, and understand wanting the movie to succeed in hopes of rekindling interest in the franchise, but I would call disliking GB16 itself, Batman and Robin, and most Adam Sandler movies, as good taste.
Kingpin wrote:
HunterCC wrote:It really looks like you're decrying conspiracy theories, while advocating your own.
Kingpin wrote:I generally dislike conspiracy theories, and it doesn't thrill me one bit that I may be proposing my own (though, I could argue that one's proposing a conspiracy with some actual basis to support it, and one's proposing a conspiracy theory with only a circumstantial basis to support it). I feel that what I'm proposing retains a bit of water based on the actions of reboot-opposing fans who have posted here, and on other sites like the IMDb forums and youtube (there've been plenty of posts from there quote here, and in news articles of reboot-opposing fans boasting about orchestrating down-voting campaigns). Some reboot-opposing fans conspired to tactically down-vote the film's trailers on youtube, that's a proven fact, so it isn't a stretch to accept that some of them would leap at anything that allows them to undermine anything positive the reboot might achieve.
Point's moot to me. It looked to me like you were questioning the sources I was using, not whether any anti-GB16 fans here were coordinating.

I do think there's been plenty of coordination by both sides. Reddit and other sites organizing against the movie, Tumbler and other places including a media drive to make a political statement for the movie. As usual with public movements, it's usually a consensus, not a conspiracy. If there's any coordination here against GB16, I am offended I haven't been included. :-(
Kingpin wrote:So as I thought, an out-of-context screenshot of the event, which may not even have any bearing on the reboot getting it's three awards during the show. I'm sure if we looked long and hard enough, we'd find equally-bored looking attendees at the Oscars, but it won't mean they're bored at any particular film.
As I tried to make clear before, it's a metaphor. I think the picture fits the situation so well, even though the pictured are looking at something else: Sad or disinterested kids, while an adult looks on with satisfaction, sums up a "kid's choice" award where adults picked an unpopular movie. Sorry I'm not making myself clear.
HunterCC wrote: Sad or disinterested kids, while an adult looks on with satisfaction
I could just as easily take that same shot and say the adult represents a smug fangirl harpy (I've known one or two) who was happily expecting ATC to lose, while the kids are just like, "Oh neat, that movie about catching ghosts. Can I have another Coke?...Why not??"

I like this game! Send me another photo! :-D
Sav C, HunterCC, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
HunterCC wrote: Sad or disinterested kids, while an adult looks on with satisfaction
I could just as easily take that same shot and say the adult represents a smug fangirl harpy (I've known one or two) who was happily expecting ATC to lose, while the kids are just like, "Oh neat, that movie about catching ghosts. Can I have another Coke?...Why not??"

I like this game! Send me another photo! :-D
LOL. Let's have some fun. Juror, do your own like this:

SpaceBallz, JurorNo.2 liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:I'll let this link do the talking:
I wouldn't exactly call that a great list of movies but that's current Hollywood for you.
You did not like Arrival, LalaLand, The Accountant, Lights Out, Moonlight, A monster calls, Hell or High Water, Don't breath, Hacksaw Bridge, etc? Those were some quality original movies not based on sequels or remakes.
JurorNo.2 wrote:....I do really enjoy movies, thank you very much.

Again, this is all you do. Announce your superiorty, insult, then leave.
Again I'm not doing that and if I leave this forum that's my own business? Am I going to spend the whole day waiting for people to respond, I mean I have a life outside here too y'know.
Kingpin wrote:And that happens with everything. People will praise a band's A-side and critique the B-sides, an actor/actress will get compared to the previous performance of the role they're playing, the newest Aston Martin will always be compared to the DB5.
My point is why make that an option in the first place?
Kingpin wrote:The takeaway I get from the sentiment you're laying down is you'd prefer people to not talk about the reboot at all.
Nope, what I'm saying is because the reboot exists we now have to talk about it.
Kingpin wrote:You suggested the reputation of the original has been diluted by the remake, (and later remarked that the "clean slate" had been "tarnished" that is being a little melodramatic (while also glossing over the fact that some people would argue the slate was tarnished with Ghostbusters II not being as good a film as the original).

The original Ghostbusters is still as loved and as fondly remembered as it was before the reboot was announced, its reputation remains untouched.
I'm sure the original is fondly remembered still however people will now likely bring up the reboot in discussion, a film that failed commercially due to meddling. As mentioned in my previous posts this has happened before lots of times but it doesn't mean we should try to prevent unnecessary remakes being made.
Kingpin wrote:With no malice intended, I fear you're a bit too invested in movies.
I would think so since I'm a movie and video gaming fan as well as studied film/TV. :)
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I also realized that I was looking at the original movie through rose coloured glasses and that to a younger person who has not seen the original movie before, it may appear dated.
Kids today are brought up with shallow made movies. Of course the original will look dated because kids as well as casual movie goers like your friend go with whatever is new. They can't appreciate older movies. Some people are like that, that's why the obvious blockbuster movies whether it's a recent comic book movie or a Transformers movie do well because it big, loud and amazing to look at.
Alphagaia wrote:You did not like Arrival, LalaLand, The Accountant, Lights Out, Moonlight, A monster calls, Hell or High Water, Don't breath, Hacksaw Bridge, etc? Those were some quality original movies not based on sequels or remakes.
I don't know man, let's see if those films are remembered in ten years time.
Lee FW wrote:Wow has it really got to the point of nitpicking children expressions?
HunterCC liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:My point is why make that an option in the first place?
Because as much as I hate to say it, franchises stagnate, and regardless of whether the newest instalment is a good one or not, if you want to keep interest high in something, and bring in new fans, you have to make some new stuff. Some efforts work, some don't. Sometimes it's better to try and fail than not to try at all.

I can go back to two examples actually:

King Kong - it's a safe bet that that the full-colour, Peter Jackson movie is more likely to bring in new fans than the black and white stop-motion original will these days. The original is indeed a classic and pioneering for its time, but at 72-84 years between the original and Jackson's offering, and then Skull Island (though I've not seen it yet, so no idea if it's actually any good), the franchise needed fresh cinematic blood in order to get people in the post-millennium era interested in it.

Voltron - the 1984 adaptation of Beast King GoLion is remembered fondly by fans from the time, but the animation looks quite ropey in places, and the story is rather slapdash due to how it was edited and reassembled for the American dub. This was definitely a solid argument for making a brand-new series, rather than going to a huge effort to remaster the original.

As for Ghostbusters, well, you're only asking "why make it at all" because we got a film you didn't enjoy. Obviously you wouldn't be asking it at all if it'd been a good film starring the original cast and characters (though as I've said before, I'm doubtful a third film released in 2016/7 with the original cast would've been good).
pferreira1983 wrote:still however people will now likely bring up the reboot in discussion
I can put up with people bringing up Filmation's awful cartoon here, I'm sure you'll live through people mentioning Answer The Call.
Kingpin wrote:As for Ghostbusters, well, you're only asking "why make it at all" because we got a film you didn't enjoy. Obviously you wouldn't be asking it at all if it'd been a good film starring the original cast and characters (though as I've said before, I'm doubtful a third film released in 2016/7 with the original cast would've been good).
I understand what you're saying about keeping franchises alive and I agree the reboot movie left a lot to be desired but considering Hollywood has messed up most remakes/reboots hasn't anyone pointed out to them they're not a good idea? Why keep making the same mistake?
Kingpin wrote:I can put up with people bringing up Filmation's awful cartoon here, I'm sure you'll live through people mentioning Answer The Call.
Ah but Filmation's Ghostbusters is not related to our franchise. :mrgreen:

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]