By Spongeface
Has anyone seen these? (I haven't, this info is from a web search)

Someone just asked about this and I had not heard of it. A quick google search and it looks like it could be the Spirit Halloween Ghost Trap but with an electronic opening mehanism. The footpedal is not even close, but having the electronic opening part would be fantastic!

Video showing the operation: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_F_CB9gKGm/

I bought one a couple days ago they are only $20 its the same as the spirit trap but the speaker seems a little louder.

The pedal looks like a cheep sewing machine pedal with only 3' of wire but seems like it could be easily modified. pushing the pedal opens the doors and they automaticly close after one of the two audio(same as spirit trap) trap sequence ends or you can press it again to close at any point. The on/off switch turns the red light and graph leds but it does not have to be turned on to operate the trap doors... If you turn the switch ON then open the doors and while the doors are open during trap sequence you switch it to OFF the sequence will end and the doors will stay open :idea:

the demo batteries that come installed need to be replaced before the pedal will operate and the trap doesnt come with any stickers :sigh:

Oh and the doors fully open and stay fully open every time, they also stay closed better than the spirit trap :love:
ccv66 liked this
Does the wire go into the angled side of the Trap battery like the product photo appears to show?

It seems generally speaking, this may well be a better offering than the previous version offered by Spirit.
Kingpin wrote: April 19th, 2020, 6:23 pm Does the wire go into the angled side of the Trap battery like the product photo appears to show?

It seems generally speaking, this may well be a better offering than the previous version offered by Spirit.
Yup! Wouldnt be hard to drill a hole for a connector and fish it thru tho 8)

Way better IMO! Its the same trap for like $25 less and it has door motors! also i noticed tonight that the handle feels more solid than the spirit version :whatever:

I think the pedal is a simple momentary switch if that is the case it would be easy to upgrade :idea:
If anyone spots one of these in the greater SF bay area. Please let me know. I own a hero trap that I've been building from scratch. But a working light weight prop would be awesome. I avoided the spirit trap do to the lack of remote operation.
Picked one up the other day at my store here in Mo. Would like to find a way to pull the guts out and install in my BoK 3D printed trap.

BTW this version eats batteries. Newly installed batteries died very quickly on me.

Also the box they come in is marked set week 13 which is next week. So some stores probably wont put them out till then.
NotSabbat liked this
By BRD 527
tb-1599 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 11:58 am still uses 2 AA batteries?
yup!
Zev wrote: April 20th, 2020, 2:23 pm Is there a Brickseek listing for it? I can't seem to pull one up.
I havnt seen them listed anywhere online yet. according to the back of the box there is also a PKE meter looks to be the same as spirit aswell I havent seen it in store but the trap and pke meter are starting to show up on ebay so they have to already be out in some stores too :whatever:
I manage to get one of these today and after looking at the pedal and doing a little research I found that the pedal wasn't made for the Ghost Trap but is a mass produced pedal for electronics! It has the brand "Mini" on it and they can be found on Ebay.
I know just about everyone is going to replace their pedals but I thought it was some interesting information.
You beat me to it Spongeface. That’s actually my video. Was going to share it here, but you already did. Thanks! Hopefully it’s of benefit to someone out there. I made a follow up video showing how to take the pedal apart too. This whole unit is all very basic. I can’t wait to start modifying mine!
By Fritz
BRD 527 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 10:26 pm I havnt seen them listed anywhere online yet. according to the back of the box there is also a PKE meter looks to be the same as spirit aswell I havent seen it in store but the trap and pke meter are starting to show up on ebay so they have to already be out in some stores too :whatever:
They've shown up at at least two of the Wal-Marts in the greater Indianapolis area; Plainfield and Avon, to be specific. I couldn't get a price on the Meter, so I passed on it for now since I've already got a Mattel one.
Carldacorte wrote: April 24th, 2020, 10:05 am You beat me to it Spongeface. That’s actually my video. Was going to share it here, but you already did. Thanks! Hopefully it’s of benefit to someone out there. I made a follow up video showing how to take the pedal apart too. This whole unit is all very basic. I can’t wait to start modifying mine!
This was a super informative video! I love how everything seems to be very encapsulated and it looks like it will be very easy to mod. Thank you so much for doing it!

I was able to pick up two traps locally and am currently printing out a pedal using the Sean Charlesworth files. Once I get the pedal done I hope to take out the guts from the trap and wire them to an Arduino to give me some more control over the physical. Those neat little connections should make it doable. At minimum Ill throw some of the Spirit trap aesthetic upgrades onto it. Im pretty excited about this cool release.
By tb-1599
Carldacorte wrote:You beat me to it Spongeface. That’s actually my video. Was going to share it here, but you already did. Thanks! Hopefully it’s of benefit to someone out there. I made a follow up video showing how to take the pedal apart too. This whole unit is all very basic. I can’t wait to start modifying mine!
The stock switch looks like it's a DPDT.. what are the extra wires for?? Will we be able to switch it over to a SPST?
tb-1599 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:35 am
Carldacorte wrote:You beat me to it Spongeface. That’s actually my video. Was going to share it here, but you already did. Thanks! Hopefully it’s of benefit to someone out there. I made a follow up video showing how to take the pedal apart too. This whole unit is all very basic. I can’t wait to start modifying mine!
The stock switch looks like it's a DPDT.. what are the extra wires for?? Will we be able to switch it over to a SPST?
The “main” power switch is a dpdt. I haven’t traced the circuit out yet, so I can’t say for certain what each switch contact is connected to, but my inclination is to say if the trap is intended to function as designed, it’ll need to be replaced with a DPDT. I’ll dig in tonight and try to find out for sure.
tb-1599 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 1:00 pm have you noticed that the light and sound and doors function when the switch is in the off position but the leds turn on when you switch it on? Very odd.
It doesn't seem too odd, one version is "full play" whilst the other is "demo". The Matty Trap had something like that if memory serves.
Kingpin wrote:
tb-1599 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 1:00 pm have you noticed that the light and sound and doors function when the switch is in the off position but the leds turn on when you switch it on? Very odd.
It doesn't seem too odd, one version is "full play" whilst the other is "demo". The Matty Trap had something like that if memory serves.
The. We need to get rid of the demo mode. The current switch is a DPDT we need to make it a SPST this way it only turns on when it's actually turned on.
I pick one up as well and I’m interested modding the hell outta this thing. I wonder if it’s possible control the motor mechanism using arduino. I want to run the red light and maybe a proper bar graph led in this thing.
I picked one up as well and I’m interested modding the hell outta this thing. I wonder if it’s possible control the motor mechanism using arduino. I want to run the red light and maybe a proper bar graph led in this thing.
NotSabbat liked this
tb-1599 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:10 pmWe need to get rid of the demo mode. The current switch is a DPDT we need to make it a SPST this way it only turns on when it's actually turned on.
Depends on whether the demo mode section of the circuit board can be easily bypassed.
I finally received mine (paid too much on eBay) and it is very close to the Spirit Ghost Trap.

The motorized mech _almost_ fits in the spirit trap, but it looks like only some minor mods to the case would be needed to do the swap if you wanted to.

I traced the DPDT switch and it is WEIRD!!
The power is actually wired to be always on, so one side (SPDT) is just a short. Remove the wires and solder them together and you get the same function and free up half the switch.
This would be easy to fix and make a normal ON/OFF.
The other reason it is weird is that the batteries are draining about 0.5 mA all of the time. This could be why several have had apparently dead or weak batteries when removed from the packaging. Just depends how long ago the batteries were installed.
Mathew_impact1 liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]