Got my idealized shell today. The finish is a lot more matte than I was expecting, especially compared to the finish on the wand. Depending on how the rest of Mack's pieces turn out, it'll probably do with a satin coat before final assembly. Love it though!
kahuna900 liked this
By cybertron
WhoaFoogles wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 6:58 pm Got my idealized shell today. The finish is a lot more matte than I was expecting, especially compared to the finish on the wand. Depending on how the rest of Mack's pieces turn out, it'll probably do with a satin coat before final assembly. Love it though!
I got my legacy shell and it looks kinda like charcoal . i hit it with a few coats of satin and then a semi - gloss clear and AFAIK that's how they painted the packs, it looks correct to my eye. If you watch scenes in the hotel in GB1 you can see light is reflecting off the surfaces and moving across the shell which means it has some amount of gloss or sheen . I think Omni packs was an early photo before the semi-gloss had cured and before they was used in filming, so they all looked like that .

An issue i immediately came across is when looking at V-hook holes , they are straight, this works for a GB2 mount because the block holes are straight while the top piece is angled . This can't work for the GB1 mount because the top hole is offset to the angle on all 3 pieces.
So he can only release a GB2 mount because the pack only has holes for that.
I've no problem drilling a hole but i need to know if i'm going crazy and have this wrong first as i don't really intend on changing the shell, my thought being 'if the part don't fit then the part is wrong and not the shell'
WhoaFoogles liked this
By tobycj
cybertron wrote: February 4th, 2024, 12:02 pm An issue i immediately came across is when looking at V-hook holes , they are straight, this works for a GB2 mount because the block holes are straight while the top piece is angled . This can't work for the GB1 mount because the top hole is offset to the angle on all 3 pieces.
So he can only release a GB2 mount because the pack only has holes for that.
I've no problem drilling a hole but i need to know if i'm going crazy and have this wrong first as i don't really intend on changing the shell, my thought being 'if the part don't fit then the part is wrong and not the shell'
If you look at the photos in The Ghostbusters Reference Library you can see the v-hook base plate had three "main" mounting points. There are two upper ones, with the straight one not used, and the angled one was used. If the factory have drilled out the two that line up straight just drill out the angled one yourself.

https://www.theghostbustersreferencelib ... 8s3kt59q3i
cybertron liked this
By cybertron
My shell less that a day after satin coats and a semi-gloss

With gloss of any kind its worth being patient because you're looking at 3 weeks to cure properly and if it looks a bit too glossy you can tone it back by roughing it up a little with a scotch pad or steel wool so that it makes the surface less translucent , personally i quiet like the oil slick look.
Kustomkid wrote: November 30th, 2023, 8:10 pm Here is my legacy shell. Got delivered right before thanksgiving. Pretty happy with it. Got most of the parts mounted. I was 58 on the wait list when it started

That looks stunning. Did you have to paint the shell at all or is that naturally how it comes looking?
Honestly, I don’t think there is damage from filming and after. Having been in the fiberglass business making molds. The legacy shell shows the mold was wearing out. I would have to guess the legacy/super hero pack was the last of hero shells that came out of the mold. Alittle bit of sanding would remove those mold imperfections. I’m thinking of sanding some of mine down since those marks are not on Egon’s pack in all the references photos.

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]