Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
GuyX wrote: May 20th, 2023, 4:08 am
Alphagaia wrote: May 20th, 2023, 12:32 am I just had a random thought that the second they deploy the remote control trap during a high speed chase on the streets of NY it immediately gets run over by a cab.

Wanted to share. Carry on!
That’s funny. I also had a random thought. Which was I wondered if the sequel will one up the RTV with a flying drone trap. That might be cool. Podcast piloting a drone trap with him seeing the drone pov from the Ecto goggles?

But I do wonder what happens when a trap is crush or destroyed. Do they blow up? Is the ghost just released from a mangled box?
I see a natural evolution and combining of ideas here.
GuyX liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: May 20th, 2023, 7:29 am
GuyX wrote: May 18th, 2023, 5:32 pm

This is the second time you’ve implied I’m not being genuine. I ignored it once. The 2nd time I’m taking it as an insult. I’d like to give you an opportunity to clarify this and apologize. Your use of “outrage” in quotes & the fact that you use “convince” as if I’m somehow not being genuine seems passive aggressive.

Frankly until I said something I don’t even think any of you realized the behaviour you were engaging in. Given that it’s stopped since I said something I think I’ve given some of you some things to think about. Sometimes we don’t realize how our remarks are coming across.

Did Kingpin or the others mean to denigrate secretarial work? Maybe. It seems that way. Certainly I took it that way. Whether or not you or anyone else are convinced of that? That’s on you.
It is on me and I’m not convinced, thanks for the opportunity.

Moving on. Did anybody see Jason posting a Ghostbusters-sponsored soccer team on instagram stories? “Big Day For Slimer Football Club”?
Ah it was worth a shot. I mean…What are you not even convinced of? That someone would point out that people seem to be look down on sectaries, out of what? A joke? Attention? Perhaps you should ask Alpha how seriously I take how people and even myself comes across? We’ve had conversations about being sensitive to the way we are perceived.

You could’ve taken a page out of Kingpin’s book but no. You double down. But that’s cool. Some people just can’t help but be rude & not give an inch.

(I also love the “moving on” part. It was a nice touch in an attempt to stay some what on topic. A bit transparent but I appreciate the effort)

Moving on. Did anyone see Adam Savage’s Tested Ghostbuster proton pack video? I love the mod he made and that it’s being reproduced by fans. I’d actually really like to see it added to the pack in Firehouse. It adds some interactive light to the front of the pack along the straps.
deadderek liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: May 20th, 2023, 9:11 am Speaking of random thoughts, I was just thinking, will there be a scene (not unlike the Titanic scene in GB2) where they see all the ghosts from 9/11 at ground zero?

Too soon?
Yes. Yes I would say that is too soon.
deadderek liked this
GuyX wrote: May 20th, 2023, 11:06 am Yes. Yes I would say that is too soon.
I was being a bit cheeky, of course, but it will be interesting -- this will be the first canon Ghostbusters film to take place in NYC post-9/11, and it's kind of an elephant in the room. If they follow the trend of having a city-wide psychokinetic energy surge, then how do they ignore the single greatest mass casualty event in New York history? That place should be crawling with spooks. I don't expect them to address it, but I wonder if they will hang a lantern on the elephant in the room with a throwaway line of dialogue or something...
RichardLess wrote: May 19th, 2023, 8:03 pm It’s a shame they reused a villain last movie because Vigo could come back in a cool way if they wanted. But they can’t reuse villains twice. Well they can, and maybe they will, but people would bitch.
I think the way things ended in Ghostbusters that there was enough room that Gozer's return could happen without it seeming preposterous: Gozer's physical form in our world was destroyed along with it's temple, but its "higher" consciousness survived the encounter with the Ghostbusters in 1984.

Whereas Vigo, he did very much appear to be destroyed at the end of Ghostbusters II. I think it would've been a harder sell to bring him back... And if you were going to bring one back over the other, I think Gozer was the right call.
Alphagaia wrote: May 20th, 2023, 12:32 am I just had a random thought that the second they deploy the remote control trap during a high speed chase on the streets of NY it immediately gets run over by a cab.
That'd be an amusing moment of art-immitating-life... Remember that the Wrecto-1 did turn the RTV into roadkill during filming. :) It could also allow for a small scene where Winston winces at the damage and laments (Like Q): "I know you're new to to this guys... But try to bring the equipment back in one piece..."
GuyX wrote: May 20th, 2023, 4:08 am But I do wonder what happens when a trap is crush or destroyed. Do they blow up? Is the ghost just released from a mangled box?
We did see Gozer rip the RTV apart, resulting in a bit of an explosion... Though a small one by Ghostbusters standards. :P
ghoulishfright wrote: May 20th, 2023, 9:11 am Speaking of random thoughts, I was just thinking, will there be a scene (not unlike the Titanic scene in GB2) where they see all the ghosts from 9/11 at ground zero?

Too soon?
I think I can safely say we'll never see it.

There's a question to be raised whether the production were being ethical in using the Hindenberg and then the Titanic disasters for hauntings in Ghostbusters II, but I guess the events being disasters through accidental circumstances, versus a terrorist attack, do put them on different footings with each other.
mrmichaelt liked this

Too soon?
Too soon.
Kingpin wrote: May 20th, 2023, 1:37 pm I think I can safely say we'll never see it.

There's a question to be raised whether the production were being ethical in using the Hindenberg and then the Titanic disasters for hauntings in Ghostbusters II, but I guess the events being disasters through accidental circumstances, versus a terrorist attack, do put them on different footings with each other.
It's a strange tightrope to walk, trying to be respectful of the dead in a franchise which is all about "busting" them... There were still Titanic survivors alive when GB2 came out; I wonder how they felt. A lot of people thought including Harold Ramis's ghost in Afterlife was distasteful and "ill-judged." I can understand their position, although technically it was Egon's ghost, not Harold's, and the intention was respectful.
ghoulishfright wrote: May 20th, 2023, 2:05 pm I can understand their position, although technically it was Egon's ghost, not Harold's, and the intention was respectful.
My position on that is if Harold's family (especially Violet Ramis) were happy to give their approval with how he and one of his most famous roles were being depicted in Afterlife, then that's all that ultimately mattered.
I suppose that's the case, although I do wonder how Harold himself would feel about the film, in much the same way that I wonder how J.R.R. Tolkien would feel about the various Middle-Earth adaptations which his family signed off on.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: May 20th, 2023, 7:29 am
GuyX wrote: May 18th, 2023, 5:32 pm

This is the second time you’ve implied I’m not being genuine. I ignored it once. The 2nd time I’m taking it as an insult. I’d like to give you an opportunity to clarify this and apologize. Your use of “outrage” in quotes & the fact that you use “convince” as if I’m somehow not being genuine seems passive aggressive.

Frankly until I said something I don’t even think any of you realized the behaviour you were engaging in. Given that it’s stopped since I said something I think I’ve given some of you some things to think about. Sometimes we don’t realize how our remarks are coming across.

Did Kingpin or the others mean to denigrate secretarial work? Maybe. It seems that way. Certainly I took it that way. Whether or not you or anyone else are convinced of that? That’s on you.
It is on me and I’m not convinced, thanks for the opportunity.
Not to step on anyone’s toes here but having had a few interactions with Guy I think you’ve got it wrong. He’s PM’d me personally a couple of times worrying about how he’s come off or even politely remarking that I have myself come off a little too aggressive. If he feels insulted I think offering up an apology wouldn’t hurt. We’ve disagreed in the past but he’s never not been genuine.

Just my own 2 cents on the matter.

Edit: As for 9/11 Victims…I don’t think that would be appropriate. If you wanted to do something along those lines maybe have Ghosts jumping out of windows from the stock market crash of 1929? Tho I recently heard that’s more of a myth than we’ve been led to believe.
I'd err on the side of caution and go for things that could've happened in New York's history (like the City-Albany train from Ghostbusters II), as opposed to stuff that really happened. It'd would leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth if the next film featured ghosts from the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, or the ghost of assassinated Mayor James J. Gallagher, or the Malbone Street subway wreck, or people killed during the draft riots... With fictional deaths, the door for creativity is open without treading on sensibilities.
Kingpin wrote: May 20th, 2023, 4:24 pm I'd err on the side of caution and go for things that could've happened in New York's history (like the City-Albany train from Ghostbusters II), as opposed to stuff that really happened. It'd would leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth if the next film featured ghosts from the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, or the ghost of assassinated Mayor James J. Gallagher, or the Malbone Street subway wreck, or people killed during the draft riots... With fictional deaths, the door for creativity is open without treading on sensibilities.
True, instead of primarily using ghosts of real people they have created some memorable entities with rather gruesome backstories - the Scoleri Brothers who manifested on the electric chairs they were executed on. Vigo - a tyrant/wizard-prince - and all the things his former subjects tried to use to execute him. Or The Miner Ghost who presumably was one of the many who committed mass suicide and jumped down the Shandor Mine shaft to their deaths as sacrifices. Purely from stats, we'll see at least one human ghost in this movie but likely won't be directly based on someone from real history but draw some general inspiration from. I think in these 3 canon movies, the only real person was Fiorello La Guardia but he was only mentioned.

And then in other forms of media like RGB, EGB or IDW, it was pretty cool when they used actual mythological entities and some of their best stories, imo. I am curious if they might do that in this movie. Aykroyd did have fairies and banshees in his original script for GB2 and a religious figure - God in Hellbent (with a Satan stand-in as the big bad).
Yeah, it's pretty clear that Ghostbusters takes place in an alternate universe -- the real New York never had a Mayor Lenny, for example. Fictional tragedies are the way to go. Perhaps in the GB universe 9/11 never happened. They could digitally re-insert the twin towers, but then again that would surely just confuse and trigger people. Perhaps instead we could imagine that a billionaire tycoon like Plump bought the World Trade Center and turned it into a giant Starbucks...
mrmichaelt liked this
They're not going digitally add the twin towers. The Ghostbusters universe is like reality unless otherwise noted. So historic disasters happened as well as fictional ones.

I've read some ghost stories inspired by 9/11. None of the ghost are ever hostile. One for instance is man in a business suit covered in blood seen waiting on the station platform that used to be under one of the towers. I can't see anyone wanting him busted.
deadderek liked this
Bison256 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 7:59 pm They're not going digitally add the twin towers. The Ghostbusters universe is like reality unless otherwise noted. So historic disasters happened as well as fictional ones.

I've read some ghost stories inspired by 9/11. None of the ghost are ever hostile. One for instance is man in a business suit covered in blood seen waiting on the station platform that used to be under one of the towers. I can't see anyone wanting him busted.
Except for some reason the Tunguska blast happened a year later in the GB universe. That is one thing that annoyed me with Afterlife. They have 1908 on the years list in the Gozer mine. They should’ve just stuck with 1909. Own it.

And a 9/11 ghost covered in blood? It never ceases to amaze me the things people will make up. It’s amazing how if I say I saw a ghost there’s a chance quite a few people will believe me. But if I say I saw Santa Claus or a Leprechaun no one over the age of 12 would believe me. A strange world we live in.
There was a 75 year gap between the Titanic accident and the appearance in GBII, meaning very few people directly impacted (lost loved ones) were still around.

It’s only been 20 years since 9/11, it was a violent terrorist attack, televised.

These two events are not similar and obviously tonally cruder comedies like Family Guy will make gags about it but depicting the ghosts of victims in an earnest comedy will probably need to wait a few decades.

PS. I have no beef with GuyX at all - I just don’t feel I need to apologise.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:21 am There was a 75 year gap between the Titanic accident and the appearance in GBII, meaning very few people directly impacted (lost loved ones) were still around.

It’s only been 20 years since 9/11, it was a violent terrorist attack, televised.

These two events are not similar and obviously tonally cruder comedies like Family Guy will make gags about it but depicting the ghosts of victims in an earnest comedy will probably need to wait a few decades.

PS. I have no beef with GuyX at all - I just don’t feel I need to apologise.
The reason I asked for an apology is because I felt like you were calling my integrity into question over this secretary business, twice. You implied I was faking or over stating my uncomfortableness with how they were being discussed. That’s tantamount to calling me a liar which I feel is an attack on my character. So that’s why I asked you rescind that “I’m not convinced” stuff & for you to apologize. I hope that clarifies things a bit.
deadderek liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: May 20th, 2023, 5:45 pm Yeah, it's pretty clear that Ghostbusters takes place in an alternate universe -- the real New York never had a Mayor Lenny, for example. Fictional tragedies are the way to go. Perhaps in the GB universe 9/11 never happened. They could digitally re-insert the twin towers, but then again that would surely just confuse and trigger people.
It'd be too late to take that approach, the aerial shot of Manhattan in Afterlife where Wrecto-1 is crossing the Brooklyn Bridge had the new World Trade Center in it.

RichardLess wrote: May 20th, 2023, 10:33 pmExcept for some reason the Tunguska blast happened a year later in the GB universe. That is one thing that annoyed me with Afterlife. They have 1908 on the years list in the Gozer mine. They should’ve just stuck with 1909. Own it.
Or we just accept that Ray got it wrong (like he did the Revelations quote) ;)

Chicken, He Clucked wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:21 am PS. I have no beef with GuyX at all - I just don’t feel I need to apologise.
GuyX wrote: May 21st, 2023, 5:42 am The reason I asked for an apology is because I felt like you were calling my integrity into question over this secretary business, twice....
I believe this is a conversation thread that would be best continued via private message rather than in here, as it's becoming less connected to the discussion about the new movie.
The discussion I requested to stop or move to another thread was about review bombing culture and DC movie commentary. And I am grateful it did stop.

As for the secretary discussion, okay, I will address several things I've observed. The majority of members here have voiced their opinions, some of you have agreed with each other, some have disagreed, the rebuttals were posted, and a bit of it has gotten a little ugly as often it tends to happens on the Internet. I feel that enough space and time has been given for you all to finish your replies to each other on the topic. So of of this post, this is it. Do not try to get in another word about the topic after this post or it will be deleted. Do not try to allude to the topic or get any digs in with quotes of other's thoughts on the matter or it will be deleted. Please do not try to reply with 'but the moderators said' or 'the moderators will close this thread if' with others. Rather, wait for a moderator to reply in thread or if you think it is urgent, instead hit the report button and send one of us a private message. Please remember to be kind, respectful, and patient with each other. Let's not instantly assume the worst in each other's words and vilify anyone or damper the mood here. Let's start on a clean slate on Monday and keep discussing the franchise we all know and love forwards and backwards. Please and thank you and good morning.
deadderek, GuyX, Kingpin liked this
I feel it's safe to assume Bill is back. Shockingly. I figured the moment we spotted Peck being back, but this is just confirmation for me.
Davideverona liked this
deadderek wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 4:28 am I feel it's safe to assume Bill is back. Shockingly. I figured the moment we spotted Peck being back, but this is just confirmation for me.
I'm not really shocked.
He praised the last script, the movie and the experience of working with his friends.

My theory: they came up with the Firehouse concept during the Afterlife principal production. They changed that a little bit to make sure that Firehouse will be a logical follow up who'll close the circle on the OGB and clearly pass the torch to the new generation.

They spoke with the OGB about being available for another go round and once they had their approval they started writing.

What I mean? That they knew Bill was on board from the get go.
Bison256 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 4:31 am
Davideverona wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 4:18 am And what better way to start clean than discussing Bill Murray's confusion on vegan food?

https://instagram.com/stories/gilkenan/ ... FjNWJiZg==

I've eaten the stuff and I'm not sure what it is.
I'll tell you what it is. It's the one of the only cheeses I can actually eat without vomiting. I'm not allergic or something, I just strongly dislike the taste of virtually most cheese. Which is extra weird because I'm born in Gouda of all places. Yeah, that one, the place known for great quality cheese, and lots of it.

Can't say that me, as someone who hates the taste of cheese, but tolerating vegan cheese is a good selling point for the product.

Hope that answers your question and you can sleep now, Bill.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]