Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 12th, 2022, 4:20 am
RichardLess wrote: July 12th, 2022, 2:56 am Egon’s motive isn’t known but Ray is definitely in it for the money.
He was paid in junk food. ;)
RichardLess wrote: July 12th, 2022, 2:56 am Egon manifests at the end as an ethereal being. Instead of, ya know, any other time in the movie where that could’ve helped.
As a newly minted ghost, he lacked a lot of P.K.E. and forcing a full manifestation before the crucial battle against Gozer would have been detrimental so he conserved his strength by communicating through object manipulation until the last possible second. And after making amends with Callie, he's about to peacefully disperse just in time.
Lol. He lacked a lot of P.K.E? Forcing a full manifestation would’ve been dentrimental?
I do believe you made all that up lol.

After making amends with Callie he had no more unfinished business.

I think the better ending would be that Egon just staid there. They hug, the music swells and we all expect Egon to dissipate. Except… he doesn’t. Then there’s this huge awkward silence. Ghost Egon just stares at his feet awkwardly. The after credit scene should’ve been all of them inside drinking hot coco, with Ghost Egon just sitting chilling in a chair. No one says a word.

Is that what a free repeater truly is or is that more of your awesome head canon stuff? Like…this is a known thing?
RichardLess wrote: Lol. He lacked a lot of P.K.E? Forcing a full manifestation would’ve been dentrimental?
I do believe you made all that up lol.
Pretty much but this is all fiction more or less. There has to be a reason Egon didn't show himself until the last moment aside from the figurative one. A standard ghost just doesn't have the P.K.E. needed to fully manifest on its own, and by fully manifest I mean for it's entire form to be visible to us, so it needs ambient energy levels to be pretty high for it to draw from hence why ghosts were only really witnessed by anybody and became a problem in the weeks leading up to Gozer and Vigo's big scenes in the movies . If a Class 7 is in the area, all the ghosts are charged in a way. Like when the Hotel manager tells the Ghostbusters Slimer was never so bad up until a few weeks ago.
RichardLess wrote: I think the better ending would be that Egon just staid there. They hug, the music swells and we all expect Egon to dissipate. Except… he doesn’t. Then there’s this huge awkward silence. Ghost Egon just stares at his feet awkwardly. The after credit scene should’ve been all of them inside drinking hot coco, with Ghost Egon just sitting chilling in a chair. No one says a word.
Yeah, I'm curious if other media like the upcoming cartoon will have Ghost Egon sticking around instead of peacefully dispersing.
RichardLess wrote: Is that what a free repeater truly is or is that more of your awesome head canon stuff? Like…this is a known thing?
It's moot because those two terms were first defined by the Ghostbusters RPG set that came out in 1986 and it was never clear if those were official definitions from someone like Aykroyd or if they made it up themselves.
Kingpin liked this
I felt Egon staying invisible until the very end was a mix between not being able/not knowing how to fully manifest himself and doing his best to stay hidden from Zuul, Vinz, and Gozer. Being tortured and killed is one thing, but being tortured without being able to die because, well, you're already dead? Yeesh.

And yeah, that's pure head canon, but it makes sense. Egon helped stopped a god from destroying the world and DELAYED it by weeks/months a second time within the same century. I'd say that's enough cause for said god to have an urge to cause a soul pain for the rest of eternity.
I get what y’all are saying about the free repeaters. I always took it as the ghost is trapped and there would be a promise to the consumer, that the problem was taken care of, however if the house still gets haunted or another ghost comes back it’s free when they come the second time. Wouldn’t fly today probably and probably didn’t back then but it was 40 years ago.
Egon might not have shown up even if he could unless it was necessary. He wouldn’t have if Jason didn’t get permission and it would be written a different way. I think not being able to fully manifest until the end is perfectly good explanation if there needs to be a scientific reason.

Egon awkwardly hanging around would have been in very poor taste though.

Ya Free Repeater must be a type of ghost. Was not aware of the RPG until now. I looked it up but I always thought of it as a Ghost that comes back or a reoccurring haunting. That’s why Ray is annoyed. He’s tired when Janine hands him the paper.

There’s the term Free-Floating. Free-Repeater sounds short for Free-Floating-Repeating-Entity. Something like that. Never thought it meant Free Removal. How long between calls would the offer stand?
WCat2000 wrote: July 12th, 2022, 5:11 pm Egon might not have shown up even if he could unless it was necessary. He wouldn’t have if Jason didn’t get permission and it would be written a different way. I think not being able to fully manifest until the end is perfectly good explanation if there needs to be a scientific reason.

Ya Free Repeater must be a type of ghost. Was not aware of the RPG until now. I looked it up but I always thought of it as a Ghost that comes back or a reoccurring haunting. That’s why Ray is annoyed. He’s tired when Janine hands him the paper.

There’s the term Free-Floating. Free-Repeater sounds short for Free-Floating-Repeating-Entity. Something like that. Never thought it meant Free Removal. How long between calls would the offer stand?
I'm pretty sure a free repeater is when a haunting returns a short time after the guys clear a place. As for the time frame, maybe two weeks. I mean of you saw more mice, rats or cockroaches after a exterminator was supposed to have cleared a house would not they have to come back too?
zeta otaku wrote: July 12th, 2022, 9:45 am I felt Egon staying invisible until the very end was a mix between not being able/not knowing how to fully manifest himself and doing his best to stay hidden from Zuul, Vinz, and Gozer. Being tortured and killed is one thing, but being tortured without being able to die because, well, you're already dead? Yeesh.

And yeah, that's pure head canon, but it makes sense. Egon helped stopped a god from destroying the world and DELAYED it by weeks/months a second time within the same century. I'd say that's enough cause for said god to have an urge to cause a soul pain for the rest of eternity.
I figured Egon couldn't manifest earlier, I maybe wrong but my understanding from GB media is that ghosts aways exist in the back ground but can only manifest when there's enough psychokinetic energy (pke) in a area. In the final scene of afterlife the farm was engulfed in a concentrated pke storm. Egon borrow some of it to physically manifest as a full torso apparition.
deadderek, mrmichaelt, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Bison256 wrote: July 12th, 2022, 9:50 pm
WCat2000 wrote: July 12th, 2022, 5:11 pm Egon might not have shown up even if he could unless it was necessary. He wouldn’t have if Jason didn’t get permission and it would be written a different way. I think not being able to fully manifest until the end is perfectly good explanation if there needs to be a scientific reason.

I'm pretty sure a free repeater is when a haunting returns a short time after the guys clear a place. As for the time frame, maybe two weeks. I mean of you saw more mice, rats or cockroaches after a exterminator was supposed to have cleared a house would not they have to come back too?
That’s what I was saying. It’s a reoccurring thing.

Ya an exterminator would return but I was asking how long would it be free of charge since that’s what some people thought it meant. Not me.
Bison256 wrote: July 12th, 2022, 9:59 pm
zeta otaku wrote: July 12th, 2022, 9:45 am I felt Egon staying invisible until the very end was a mix between not being able/not knowing how to fully manifest himself and doing his best to stay hidden from Zuul, Vinz, and Gozer. Being tortured and killed is one thing, but being tortured without being able to die because, well, you're already dead? Yeesh.

I figured Egon couldn't manifest earlier, I maybe wrong but my understanding from GB media is that ghosts aways exist in the back ground but can only manifest when there's enough psychokinetic energy (pke) in a area. In the final scene of afterlife the farm was engulfed in a concentrated pke storm. Egon borrow some of it to physically manifest as a full torso apparition.
That's my line of thinking on that as well.
Not for nothing, but I always thought when Ray says, "Great two more free repeaters" I thought he meant they had to go back to a previous bust because it was a repeat customer who got a free follow up; like more ghosts showed up because of the Big Twinkie.

Not to be confused with a "free floating full torso vaporous apparition"
deadderek liked this
joezlo wrote: July 13th, 2022, 10:51 am Not for nothing, but I always thought when Ray says, "Great two more free repeaters" I thought he meant they had to go back to a previous bust because it was a repeat customer who got a free follow up; like more ghosts showed up because of the Big Twinkie.

Not to be confused with a "free floating full torso vaporous apparition"
Right?

I’m super curious now what the official explanation is. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this lol.
deadderek liked this
BatDan wrote: July 12th, 2022, 5:06 pm No a “free repeater” is a ghost that can have multiple manifestations even after being a previous manifest being contained.

As apposed to a “non repeating phantasm” which is one mass of pke.
Interesting. So is the “free” part of the nomenclature or their billing policy?

Edit: I just have to say. This is what I love about fandoms. This is what it’s suppose to be. Fans nerding out and discussing the terms and meaning behind the written word and mythology. I love conversations like this.
Venkman does occasionally throw in a freebie. If a pretty girl is involved or a little old lady, (family?). He can be charitable as seen in RGB. As for the Bill version it's not often he gives out freebies unless it's a quid pro quo situation. It has been known to happen once every...five hundred years.
I just realized Winston briefly mentions his kids when Janine visits him. Perhaps the other GB got busy as well.

Perhaps these relatives are showing up in the new movie as well in some way or form? Not sure if I want them to be Ghostbusters as I really like Phoebe and Podcast, but they could show interest in the cool new thing their dad is financing.

Any thoughts about that?
It would be a good way to set up the whole Ghostbusters High series. I can only imagine how many schools in New York would be willing to host the kids of the Ghostbusters. Or have them all together under the same building for six hours a day.

This is like having a clone army of Egon roaming the halls. You'd have Phoebe, Podcast, and possibly the last minute inclusion of Peter Venkman's kids/family. Obviously Oscar would be out but I can totally see Venkman playing the role of Grandpa, or Uncle.

A bakers dozen of Ghostbuster offspring? I mean, there's no chance at all of something happening to the science labs! Lol. Bay-splosion's anyone?
Alphagaia wrote: July 18th, 2022, 1:02 pm I just realized Winston briefly mentions his kids when Janine visits him. Perhaps the other GB got busy as well.

Perhaps these relatives are showing up in the new movie as well in some way or form? Not sure if I want them to be Ghostbusters as I really like Phoebe and Podcast, but they could show interest in the cool new thing their dad is financing.

Any thoughts about that?
Yeah, I know I mentioned that line before in one of these threads along with thoughts I think at least one of Winston's children will be on a likely new adult team that will a mix of legacy and new characters hired by him after he reopens the business. Then the Afterlife cast will meet them and they'll have to team up to deal with the big crisis event so like Afterlife the cast will be three generations of characters: Winston, Ray, Janine, the new team, and Phoebe and co. becoming one big ghostbusting family. Winston needs staff and he's not going to hire/can't hire minors to go out on calls. I'm curious if Winston's children even know of his days of a Ghostbuster or if there's some tension of them not believing his 'glory day' stories catching ghosts and defeating a god. They kinda mangled it in editing in Afterlife of Phoebe quietly shifted going from we're all meat puppets to okay I guess my grandfather is a ghost talking to me through objects in the house, guess ghosts are real so on one hand it would be expedient for a time skip of the new team already having several busts under their belts and full on believers vs. delving again into some of them being skeptics and coming to believe. I don't think we need every GB movie to have skeptics about the paranormal in them for the story to work or feel 'grounded'.
Alphagaia liked this
I thought Phoebe automatically believing in the supernatural really fit her character. Maybe there is more to it they left out but I thought it fit her personality. It was obvious Egon was communicating with her and she nonchalantly accepted it. It was enough evidence for her.
Kingpin liked this
WCat2000 wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:32 am I meant her perspective on good and evil and how it affects people.
RAY: "You know, sometimes bad emotions like rage, sadness, hate.... Can phisically manifest into a river of slime!"

PHOBE (staring at him with a serious face): "a RIVER of slime?"

RAY: "yes! And if you give that slime enough positive vibrations you can obtain an equally strong, benign, reaction"

PODCAST: "cool!!!! You already did it, didn't you?? Right? Right? Right??"

RAY: "well, we made a toaster dance"

PHOEBE: "you're joking"

WINSTON: "a toaster.... Or the Statue of Liberty" (show a photo of Libby walking in New York)

PODCAST: "please, adopt me"

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]