Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
SpaceBallz wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:24 am
Davideverona wrote: January 16th, 2023, 4:51 am One of the good jobs ATC made in 2016 was bringing the fight in the streets, I hope it happens in GB4 too.

Gb1= on a roof with people on the streets seeing very little

GB2= inside a locked museum with people seeing only a pink shield

GBA= on an isolated field with no witnesses.

The next one should bring the fight all over New York city, with maybe some citizens helping out the Ghostbusters and various Ghostbusters spread around the blocks.
I think one thing that bugged me in GB2-GB:A was that everyone is forgetting one little thing: the giant marshmallow man walking through downtown Manhattan crushing cars and buildings. Then climbing a building, exploding and covering everything in marshmallow fluff.

That would be a little difficult to forget and sweep under the rug considering there were news cameras there too.
This is one criticism that has always bugged me about GB2. Where are you getting “everyone” forgot? The movie doesn’t show that.

Think hard. Now how many people actually say they don’t believe in ghosts in GB2? About 3-4 people. And in a world where ALOT people believe we didn’t go to the moon, that the Earth is flat, that microchips are in vaccines….frankly it’s absolutely believable that people don’t believe in ghosts even if they had all the video footage in the world. . And we don’t know who saw what. We see a camera recording Mr. Stay Puft. But we don’t know what that footage looks like, if it was being broadcast live…nothing. Plus we see evidence that the Gb’s still have support among the populace. So there are believers. Or let’s say…If people did see Mr. Stay Puft footage…we don’t know what context it was put in. Did the government get involved and spin it? So it’s not as cut and dry as “Everyone forgot”.
I don't think people forgot about everything in Afterlife. Trevors mentioned he's heard about "the Manhattan ghost stories", plus there seems to be a fair bit of information online. New York probably still remembers what happened, but those in Illinois or Oklahoma don't know as much or anything at all. Hope Firehouse addresses it somehow.
SpaceBallz liked this
The biggest hurdle the existence of ghosts would be that it would vastly alter the beliefs and way of life in such a way we wouldn't recognize the world as our own.

GB is a silly comedy with a silly premise, where a Ghostbusters job would be extraordinary but funnily enough not world changing, and I think that's an inconsistency we just have to accept for the premise to work.
deadderek liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:24 am
Davideverona wrote: January 16th, 2023, 4:51 am One of the good jobs ATC made in 2016 was bringing the fight in the streets, I hope it happens in GB4 too.

Gb1= on a roof with people on the streets seeing very little

GB2= inside a locked museum with people seeing only a pink shield

GBA= on an isolated field with no witnesses.

The next one should bring the fight all over New York city, with maybe some citizens helping out the Ghostbusters and various Ghostbusters spread around the blocks.
I think one thing that bugged me in GB2-GB:A was that everyone is forgetting one little thing: the giant marshmallow man walking through downtown Manhattan crushing cars and buildings. Then climbing a building, exploding and covering everything in marshmallow fluff.

That would be a little difficult to forget and sweep under the rug considering there were news cameras there too.

You say that, yet we live in a world where people still believe 9/11 was all fake. They don't believe the footage or witnesses at all.
So its entirely believable that people wouldn't believe a 30 metre Marshmallow Man.
deadderek, SpaceBallz liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 16th, 2023, 1:39 pm It depends who those people are. One of them is frikking judge that says: 'The law doesn't acknowledge the existence of ghosts?'

Really? After Stay Puft?
I mean…Have you seen some of the judges in America? In America…in the 1980s no less?

The dude was clearly, CLEARLY insane. This was the same man who said the Gb’s should be burned at the stake. So yeah, I’m guessing he’s a nut job lol.

Edit: And I might add…Stay Puft isn’t a ghost. He’s not see thru, he’s tactile. So it’s hard to say what people would make of it. We have to remember this is in an era before the internet. When getting a plane crash on camera was seemingly impossible. And yet there’s videos of UFO’s. Does everyone believe they are aliens? No. So it’s hard to say but very interesting to think about
DancingToaster liked this
robbritton wrote: January 16th, 2023, 4:50 am Where it all falls apart is that Vigo isn't connected enough to the negative slime for there to be balance. The negative slime doesn't seem to do much that is objectively negative, other than manifest ghosts and make Ray and Winston (but not Egon, oddly) a bit ratty. If there were an equal negative totem that rose to meet Lady Liberty and was then overcome, almost like a slow motion kaiju battle, then it would feel more satisfying story-wise and would give a bit more spectacle right where the film sags.

I absolutely concede that the singing weakening Vigo makes the connection between him and the slime implicit, but I just don't think the connection is established strongly enough in the run up.

Afterlife has a similar issue where the original farm trap was for the second terror dog, but then it's for Gozer, but it's still somehow the same plan even though it's totally different and you have to head canon to fix the confusion. It's something Firehouse really needs to understand: The writing of it happened by accident, but GB1 is perfect in its ridiculous build to the conclusion. (The fact the Terror Dogs can appear, but then have to possess someone to... appear again actually works in that one because it's silly and funny and over convoluted in the way pagan ceremony often is and it pushes the story forward by putting something the Ghostbusters don't want to hurt between them and Gozer. Not that they hesitate much, but again - silly and funny!) You're never lost in GB1, or confused to the motivations of anyone. A bad god is coming, the world is going to end, all these ghosts are around because of that, these guys can stop it. It's brilliantly simple. More of that kind of simplicity with a whole new villain, please!
Agreed about Vigo and his weak connection to the slime storyline. Throughout the movie, Vigo is this really intimidating force, but as soon as he comes out of the painting he stops talking altogether and acts more like a stereotypical movie monster (I guess this could be explained by being in a new/unfamiliar form, but "battle Vigo" and "painting Vigo" are like two different characters). I know that the similarities between GB1 and GB2's structure are often discussed, but that's not the problem as much as its lack of cohesion is. Many of the individual scenes in GB2 are just as strong, in their own way, as those in GB1, but they don't fit together as neatly, especially in the 2nd half of the movie.
Afterlife also suffers a bit from a lack of cohesion and pacing, largely because they tried to fit GB1's villain mechanism into a film that doesn't really have room for it.
A lot of more recent movies are so convoluted that nothing makes sense and the audience doesn't care about anyone, especially when they're convinced that any character can die at any time. In many ways, Afterlife refreshingly avoids this trend by keeping its cast of characters small, like in the originals. It's another reason why I really hope they don't start adding a bunch of new characters to the next movie.
SpaceBallz wrote:I think one thing that bugged me in GB2-GB:A was that everyone is forgetting one little thing: the giant marshmallow man walking through downtown Manhattan crushing cars and buildings. Then climbing a building, exploding and covering everything in marshmallow fluff.

I think GB2's interpretation of them getting sued to death by the city fits pretty perfectly with the whole "NYC in the 80s" setting. It keeps everything humorously grounded.
GB4 Plot Outline

Winston starts a new Ghostbusters, more corporate, less science based.

New movie deals with the idea of “good ghosts” Vs “evil ghosts”. Pheobe finds old research from Egon suggesting that there are multiple kinds of ghosts and that he invented tech to tell which was which(apparently this is something the Ecto goggle Polaroid thing could be for). Phoebe is against the new GB team capturing “good” ghosts. One ghosts used to illustrate her point is…Slimer.

The movie very much deals with what’s happens to ghosts inside the containment unit. The main baddie is a containment unit ghost that plans some sort of jailbreak. Wants revenge of the Gb’s.

There’s a “Ghost civil rights” angle to the movie. We see the Scoleri Bros again.
RichardLess wrote: January 16th, 2023, 3:46 pm
Alphagaia wrote: January 16th, 2023, 1:39 pm It depends who those people are. One of them is frikking judge that says: 'The law doesn't acknowledge the existence of ghosts?'

Really? After Stay Puft?
I mean…Have you seen some of the judges in America? In America…in the 1980s no less?

The dude was clearly, CLEARLY insane. This was the same man who said the Gb’s should be burned at the stake. So yeah, I’m guessing he’s a nut job lol.

Edit: And I might add…Stay Puft isn’t a ghost. He’s not see thru, he’s tactile. So it’s hard to say what people would make of it. We have to remember this is in an era before the internet. When getting a plane crash on camera was seemingly impossible. And yet there’s videos of UFO’s. Does everyone believe they are aliens? No. So it’s hard to say but very interesting to think about

The judge says he wishes he could reach back to older times or something, so he could have burn them at the stake.
He isn't insane, he is extremely angry. You can see him getting more and more annoyed during the trial. Which is why the slime reacts the way it does.

But even if he is insane, he specifically says the laws doesn't acknowledge the existence of ghosts. While he also says he doesn't believe in them either, the law is what caught me eye. That's not something personal, that's state. The major believed the GB and had reports from bleeding walls etc. You tell me no one looked into it after all that? No press coverage?

After the 1984 crossrip, the ghosts exploding from the container, all the press and interviews, there should be hundreds of scientists running around NY trying to get samples of Stay Puft, checking out the packs and the traps, we know at least Slimer is still at large. The law should acknowledge ghosts by then.

In a real world, it doesn't make sense. I can handwave it, but it really should have been way better explained why this all isn't the case for the premise of the movie to work.
But eh, it's a silly comedy.
RichardLess wrote: January 17th, 2023, 2:07 pm GB4 Plot Outline

New movie deals with the idea of “good ghosts” Vs “evil ghosts”. Pheobe finds old research from Egon suggesting that there are multiple kinds of ghosts and that he invented tech to tell which was which(apparently this is something the Ecto goggle Polaroid thing could be for). Phoebe is against the new GB team capturing “good” ghosts. One ghosts used to illustrate her point is…Slimer.

The movie very much deals with what’s happens to ghosts inside the containment unit. The main baddie is a containment unit ghost that plans some sort of jailbreak. Wants revenge of the Gb’s.

There’s a “Ghost civil rights” angle to the movie. We see the Scoleri Bros again.
The ghost morality thing is certainly heavily referred to in the Hasbro Spengler Journal, so at the very least it’s an idea that is in the air at Ghost Corps.
Alphagaia wrote: January 17th, 2023, 11:26 pm
RichardLess wrote: January 16th, 2023, 3:46 pm

The judge says he wishes he could reach back to older times or something, so he could have burn them at the stake.
He isn't insane, he is extremely angry. You can see him getting more and more annoyed during the trial. Which is why the slime reacts the way it does.

But even if he is insane, he specifically says the laws doesn't acknowledge the existence of ghosts. While he also says he doesn't believe in them either, the law is what caught me eye. That's not something personal, that's state. The major believed the GB and had reports from bleeding walls etc. You tell me no one looked into it after all that? No press coverage?

After the 1984 crossrip, the ghosts exploding from the container, all the press and interviews, there should be hundreds of scientists running around NY trying to get samples of Stay Puft, checking out the packs and the traps, we know at least Slimer is still at large. The law should acknowledge ghosts by then.

In a real world, it doesn't make sense. I can handwave it, but it really should have been way better explained why this all isn't the case for the premise of the movie to work.
But eh, it's a silly comedy.
You don’t think a judge saying he could wish he could BURN SOMEONE at the stake is insane? I sure do. The Gbs didn’t murder anybody. They violated a restraining order and damaged some property lol. The judge is talking about what they did to witches back in the day. That man is insane. He literally says if he wasn’t handcuffed by the law he’d burn them at the stake lol.

where are you getting no one looked into it? We don’t know that. We don’t know there wasn’t press coverage. The sequel takes place 5 years later. The first movie shows the Gb’s getting massive press coverage. But after the cross rip…the ghost turbulence dies down so anyone coming to do research or look into things would find witnesses and hearsay. The press would move on to the next story. The judge says law doesn’t acknowledge the existence of Ghosts…and why would it? Making laws isn’t some easy quick reasonable, rational, process. Especially in America.

Again…look at what happens with UFO footage. It makes the news for a couple days, maybe a week. And then what? It dies down, people move on and that’s it. Until the next one. All the crazy UFO footage and pilot witness statements and senators witness statements and military people have said they’ve seen UFO’s. How many laws changed because of it? Not many.

You are right that we should handwave it because it’s a comedy but I don’t think there’s anything the movie shows that isn’t far removed from what would or could happen in real life in the 1980s. There’s just so much we don’t know. But I do know it’s always fun to talk about! This is the gravy of being a GB fan.
Last edited by RichardLess on January 18th, 2023, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbritton wrote: January 18th, 2023, 12:15 am
RichardLess wrote: January 17th, 2023, 2:07 pm GB4 Plot Outline

The ghost morality thing is certainly heavily referred to in the Hasbro Spengler Journal, so at the very least it’s an idea that is in the air at Ghost Corps.
Interesting
Is it? What does it say? I still haven’t gotten my packs. Is there anything about the Ecto goggles being part of it?
RichardLess wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:33 amYou don’t think a judge saying he could wish he could BURN SOMEONE at the stake is insane?
The question is is that his normal attitude and temperament, or is he being affected by the slime?

It seems to me that it's pretty much a literal vicious cycle feeding itself: He gets a normal level of angry at the disorder in his court, his anger feeds into the slime, the slime then feeds back into him, until he verbally explodes - tying back to Egon's remarks on his and Ray's theory about how human emotions affect the physical environment.

Judge Wexler definitely has a notoriety for being being very hard-line, as exhibited by Egon's dialogue at the start of the scene, but if he were as batshit nuts as he appeared in that sequence all the time? I suspect he'd have been forced to retire from the bench long ago.
RichardLess wrote: January 17th, 2023, 2:07 pm One ghosts used to illustrate her point is…Slimer.
The ghost of Egon would strike me as the greater example of good ghosts... His guiding Phoebe, and helping her to keep hold of Gozer resolved the Summerville situation, Slimer... While largely harmless, is still a pest to any hot dog vendors and food purveyors within the five boroughs.
Alphagaia, SpaceBallz, Rookie99 and 1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2023, 11:03 am
RichardLess wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:33 amYou don’t think a judge saying he could wish he could BURN SOMEONE at the stake is insane?
The question is is that his normal attitude and temperament, or is he being affected by the slime?

It seems to me that it's pretty much a literal vicious cycle feeding itself: He gets a normal level of angry at the disorder in his court, his anger feeds into the slime, the slime then feeds back into him, until he verbally explodes - tying back to Egon's remarks on his and Ray's theory about how human emotions affect the physical environment.

Judge Wexler definitely has a notoriety for being being very hard-line, as exhibited by Egon's dialogue at the start of the scene, but if he were as batshit nuts as he appeared in that sequence all the time? I suspect he'd have been forced to retire from the bench long ago.
RichardLess wrote: January 17th, 2023, 2:07 pm One ghosts used to illustrate her point is…Slimer.
The ghost of Egon would strike me as the greater example of good ghosts... His guiding Phoebe, and helping her to keep hold of Gozer resolved the Summerville situation, Slimer... While largely harmless, is still a pest to any hot dog vendors and food purveyors within the five boroughs.
Yeah I’ve always wondered…was the slime affecting the judge? But I’m not so sure. Everyone else seems to not be angry or emotional. But maybe there’s some sort of psychic link and like you say it’s some cycle feeding itself.

But I just think he was a crazy judge. I’m a little bit of a “true crime” nut and there’s plenty examples of overzealous judges that make you wonder how they were allowed to do what they did. Especially back in the day. Especially in big cities or the south. Just imagine all of innocent people that were sentenced to life imprisonment or even the death penalty back when simple witness testimony was the biggest piece of evidence one could have. Now you need DNA, security camera footage, audio recordings. Imagine how terrifying it must have been to be a minority back in the day(heck even now in some places). If you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and a racist cop pulls you over or if you say something to the wrong person. Heck look what happened to poor Emmet Till.

of course all this talk of reality and the real world is moot because when you really get into it..the GB2 court room scene makes no sense in a realistic way. I mean…it’s 24 hours later and they are in court being prosecuted with witnesses? I could see it being some sort of pretrial bail hearing but a full prosecution? And the judge is making the call? Not a jury? It’s ridiculous but like Alpha talked about it’s just one of those things you gotta hand wave. Obviously they can’t have the GB’s going to court months later. For story purpose you gotta condense those things but it’s still incredibly unrealistic.

As for Pheobe advocating for good ghosts, you are right about Egon. But I guess the thinking is Egon has “moved on” and Slimer is still around and could be used as a more current “live” example, so to speak.
RichardLess wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:35 am
robbritton wrote: January 18th, 2023, 12:15 am

Interesting
Is it? What does it say? I still haven’t gotten my packs. Is there anything about the Ecto goggles being part of it?
Paraphrasing heavily here, but there are entries on Egon ruminating on the ethics of busting 'good' ghosts and thinking about tech which would discern spectral intent. I don't remember the goggles being mentioned explicitly. (I don't mean to be vague - the box and journal have gone into the loft and it's a bit late to be stomping above the kids room trying to find it!)
joezlo wrote: January 18th, 2023, 1:27 pm They violated a judicial restraining order from what we can gather was a high profile case.

Those kinda things move fast in the judiciary pipeline.

Also considering the scale of the NYC blackout they caused.
An arraignment? Maybe. A full on prosecution? With witnesses? And evidence? No. I mean look at the recent Idaho killings. That case won’t go until before a judge until June and that’s a serious high profile case. The timeline between an arrest and actual trial for big cases can take a long time.
There also isn't anything in the movie categorically stating the court case was the day immediately after the blackout... Much like the rest of the movie and the first and their respective truncated timelines of events.
deadderek liked this
The Ghostbusters never busted a "human" ghost.

All ghosts appear to be manifestations of an abundance of emotion of people who have died. Slimer; gluttony. Subway Ghost; claustrophobic chaos, Scoleri's; murderous rage, etc. Even the jogger could have been a ghost of compulsive addiction.

It's like the ghosts are residual magnified emotions left over in this plane of people who have passed on.

The ghosts in Ghostbusters aren't people. They are the negative emotions that manifest in the worst of us. Imagine Ray busting Egon's ghost. No way. That's just not what this is.
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:51 pm There also isn't anything in the movie categorically stating the court case was the day immediately after the blackout... Much like the rest of the movie and the first and their respective truncated timelines of events.
Yeah I never understood thar either. I think a "xxx amount of time later" card would have helped.
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:51 pm There also isn't anything in the movie categorically stating the court case was the day immediately after the blackout... Much like the rest of the movie and the first and their respective truncated timelines of events.
In the script the 9/28/88 draft with revision in November it’s:

INT. COURTROOM - WITNESS STAND - NEXT DAY

The JUDGE, a rather sour-looking jurist of the old school, calls the
court to order.

JUDGE
I want to make one thing very clear before
we go any further. The law does not recognize
the existence of ghosts, and I don't believe
in them either, so I don't want to hear a
lot of malarkey about goblins and spooks and
demons. We're going to stick to the facts
in this case and save the ghost stories for
the kiddies. Understood?

So yeah…it’s the next day.

mrmichaelt wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:13 pm And one could speculate Jack Hardemeyer used his position in the Mayor's office to fast track the trial. He did put them in Parkview behind the Mayor's back and in his name after all.
That’s interesting! Infact I think we can say that is what happened. Let’s not forget what he says to the prosecutor, he’s clearly working behind the scenes to get them to go away.

Edit: Yep. Mrmichaelt has it right methinks. Check out this script passage:

PROSECUTION TABLE

Jack Hardemeyer, the mayor's principal aide, is goading the PROSECUTOR,
a very sober, humorless woman in her late thirties.

HARDEMEYER
How are you doing, hon? Just put these guys
away fast and make sure they go away for a
long, long time.

PROSECUTOR
It shouldn't be hard with this list of charges.

HARDEMEYER
Good. Very good. The mayor and future
governor won't forget this.
mrmichaelt liked this
One time wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:17 pm The Ghostbusters never busted a "human" ghost.

All ghosts appear to be manifestations of an abundance of emotion of people who have died. Slimer; gluttony. Subway Ghost; claustrophobic chaos, Scoleri's; murderous rage, etc. Even the jogger could have been a ghost of compulsive addiction.
I feel there is an argument that the Scoleris, the jogger, and a lot of the other humanoid ghosts the guys have encountered are still human ghosts, it depends on how easy a human ghost can become overcome/corrupted by a particular emotion. There's also the question of what could Egon have been like if he'd been haunting the farmhouse for a decade or more... Would he have eventually become a manifestation of regret and loneliness?

The lore on what makes the ghosts we've seen remains quite scarce, though there is room to potentially dive into that with the "Firehouse", and if we get any more films after that.
RichardLess wrote: January 18th, 2023, 8:14 pm So yeah…it’s the next day.
-In a notation in the script that most people are never going to see, whereas in the finished film it's not so clear-cut. Thinly implied? Maybe...

Even the perfect moment where Louis could've confirmed it was the prior day through his dialogue wasn't used: "Sure, the blackout yesterday/last night was a big problem for everybody..." Nor anything in the prosecutor's dialogue.

Much like the references to Ecto-1A/Ecto-2 being a second car in the script versus what's either overt or implied on-screen, notations in the various scripts are probably at-best regarded as secondary canon, with whatever appears in the finished film/s being primary canon.
Well, a new little bit of information for you.

I just downloaded the latest Production Weekly issue and it confirms the UK shooting in March. Also, looks like they changed the working title in Hell's Kitchen, maybe to avoid attention after they announced it as Firehouse.

I sent a screenshot to Ben, feel free to upload it.
mrmichaelt liked this
Kingpin wrote:The lore on what makes the ghosts we've seen remains quite scarce, though there is room to potentially dive into that with the "Firehouse", and if we get any more films after that.
A 'Ghosts 101' lecture scene would be pretty great and definitely ripe for Aykroyd to go into exposition mode.

Kingpin wrote: -In a notation in the script that most people are never going to see, whereas in the finished film it's not so clear-cut. Thinly implied? Maybe...

Even the perfect moment where Louis could've confirmed it was the prior day through his dialogue wasn't used: "Sure, the blackout yesterday/last night was a big problem for everybody..." Nor anything in the prosecutor's dialogue.

Much like the references to Ecto-1A/Ecto-2 being a second car in the script versus what's either overt or implied on-screen, notations in the various scripts are probably at-best regarded as secondary canon, with whatever appears in the finished film/s being primary canon.
There's also Ray saying 'it's okay, Louis, we got arrested at night' then slamming his face into the book as if to imply he hadn't slept a wink between being arrested and the trial hypothetically the next day.

Davideverona wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:09 am I just downloaded the latest Production Weekly issue and it confirms the UK shooting in March. Also, looks like they changed the working title in Hell's Kitchen, maybe to avoid attention after they announced it as Firehouse.
What was in last week's one?
mrmichaelt wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:22 am
Davideverona wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:09 am I just downloaded the latest Production Weekly issue and it confirms the UK shooting in March. Also, looks like they changed the working title in Hell's Kitchen, maybe to avoid attention after they announced it as Firehouse.
What was in last week's one?
The last week's issue reports the new working title with a start date window between March and May.

.Today's issue confirms March as start date and is listed as a Sony Pictures United Kingdom production. No cast names yet, outside those we already know.
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
So Hell's Kitchen. What could it mean in relation to the story?

We know it's a cooking show where cooks (in training) get a chance to proof themselves. Maybe we get a harsh training into becoming Ghostbusters? Maybe it's a show with Bill hosting it? (Probably no Bill in sight for this one).

It could be the lair of the evil ghosts, in an abandoned restaurant, which is either a disgruntled foodie, (is Slimer attracted/ involved to it?) or an evil cook.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]