The preview cut is awesome good to see where the deleted scenes fit in the original montage is cool also the alternate takes throughout the cut makes it cool too see how different they delivered their lines in the final released cut. Also the extended scenes some worked i thought and would been good left in
Just in case anyone had any questions, The Digital Bits confirmed with Sony that this set is a limited edition and that they have no plans to reprint it at this time.
The Digital Bits wrote:Also today, we’ve confirmed with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment that their Ghostbusters Ultimate Edition 4K Ultra HD release was a limited edition. Not only did it sell out almost everywhere within a day or two of its announcement, the studio currently has no plans to make more copies.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... L8TA1hoD9c
mrmichaelt, deadderek liked this
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 3:48 pm Just in case anyone had any questions, The Digital Bits confirmed with Sony that this set is a limited edition and that they have no plans to reprint it at this time.
The Digital Bits wrote:Also today, we’ve confirmed with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment that their Ghostbusters Ultimate Edition 4K Ultra HD release was a limited edition. Not only did it sell out almost everywhere within a day or two of its announcement, the studio currently has no plans to make more copies.
Well, unless they reduce the price of the UK version, they’re all going to end up in landfill like that ET game in the 1980s. Still loads of those on sale, I’d imagine.
Mine arrived from Amazon today, simply stuffed in a thin plastic bag.

Needless to say, every corner of the box was either damaged or torn. I tried to initiate a return but they do not offer a replacement, only a refund. So I guess I'm stuck with this damaged set as they are currently sold out everywhere.

I guess I should have bought one from Walmart or BestBuy. :(
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 3:48 pm Just in case anyone had any questions, The Digital Bits confirmed with Sony that this set is a limited edition and that they have no plans to reprint it at this time.
Just like the GB1/GB2 35th anniversary release in 2019. Seems like this will be the norm moving forward. Thanks for posting that.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
Just watched the Ghostbusters II deleted scenes. Total running time is 18:42, which is pretty thin for how many scenes they technically encompass (especially as this is 18:42 including the deleted scenes from the 35th Anniversary Steelbook).

Still, there are some good gems in here. I wish we could hear the music to get the full joke, but there's a great new intro on the alternate take on World of the Psychic (which I think is a slightly funnier scene, even if the addition of Milton and Chloe Webb's performance are better than what we got here). I really liked the additional bit after they use the Gigameter where Dana asks Peter if she's cursed, and the Dana/Peter moment in the courtroom. The Sherman Tully scene is fascinating but kind of a shrug comedically; the other hospital scene is better. The Liberty navigational argument is also funny, and the new take of Hardemeyer outside the museum is better than the one in the previous batch.

Looking at this, I really do wonder if there's some chance the other stuff was found and was all held back because they would've had to edit it. Could just be sort of a confirmation bias thing when the very first scene opens with 30 seconds of silenced music, but there's another part of me that thinks this feels like a nicely comprehensive archive, and it seems a little odd that the other material wouldn't have been with it. It'd be interesting to know what the discovery process was for these scenes.

EDIT: looks like my memory is not great and some of the ones I liked were on the old disc!
Last edited by tylergfoster on February 1st, 2022, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GhostFaceX wrote: February 1st, 2022, 8:06 pm Is there anything new on the three movie discs or is it safe to sell them?
The 4K UHDs in this have Dolby Vision and are superior to the ones from previous editions. No idea about the organization of the bonus features and what might be lost if you swapped out the new Blu-ray discs, but it wouldn't surprise me if those are reprints.
deadderek liked this
One minor complaint: they went through all of the Ghostbusters footage for Afterlife. They have the restored version of the "World's Fair" scene at the end of Afterlife, so they must have found it. It's a shame the deleted footage from the original movie haven't been upgraded -- still the same old standard definition clips.
deadderek, azza200 liked this
GhostFaceX wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:47 pm Has anyone heard back from sony yet?
It's been a few hours at best, people need to be patient.
tylergfoster, Kingpin liked this
GhostFaceX wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:29 pm Am I missing something or is there only one afterlife deleted scene? If not which disc has more
Nope, this is correct. Everyone was expecting more, but when the back cover went up a month ago, it stated only one deleted scene for Afterlife, later confirmed by the press release and now the finished disc.
GhostFaceX liked this
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 11:44 pm
GhostFaceX wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:29 pm Am I missing something or is there only one afterlife deleted scene? If not which disc has more
Nope, this is correct. Everyone was expecting more, but when the back cover went up a month ago, it stated only one deleted scene for Afterlife, later confirmed by the press release and now the finished disc.
Ouch 😣

Guess I’m gonna wait for the ultimate ultimate box set in 2025
GhostFaceX wrote: February 1st, 2022, 11:52 pm
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 11:44 pm Nope, this is correct. Everyone was expecting more, but when the back cover went up a month ago, it stated only one deleted scene for Afterlife, later confirmed by the press release and now the finished disc.
Ouch 😣

Guess I’m gonna wait for the ultimate ultimate box set in 2025
Don't know if it will be interesting or painful, but there's a thread in the dedicated Afterlife forum discussing the deleted scenes that appear in the trailers and behind-the-scenes footage.
GhostFaceX, Kingpin liked this
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:00 pm It's a shame the deleted footage from the original movie haven't been upgraded -- still the same old standard definition clips.
Is it possible that Sony can’t really extract a better image because the Assembly cut is being sourced from the Betamax tape?
Regarding adding the scenes back into the film all nicely restored, I feel like that would go against the fact that I. Reitman considers the original cut of the film to be his preferred presentation of the film, no?
deadderek liked this
Considering the quality of the scenes from the steelbook (Ecto-1 Ticket, Fort Detmerring) and the new dallies, I would say that the film elements still exist somewhere. Maybe not in an edited state, but it looks like the original raw footage is in a vault somewhere. I imagine that GB2 is largely the same fate, I haven't seen the scenes yet, but I've heard that they seem like they were recently edited.
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 8:05 pm
EDIT: looks like my memory is not great and some of the ones I liked were on the old disc!
I thought that when I watched the Central Park Bums scenes on the Steelbook - thinking "wow that's Bill Murray" (I never recognised Dan) - completely missed that I'd had that scene all along on the 1999 DVD. Funny how you appraise stuff in later years.
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 8:05 pm Just watched the Ghostbusters II deleted scenes. Total running time is 18:42, which is pretty thin for how many scenes they technically encompass (especially as this is 18:42 including the deleted scenes from the 35th Anniversary Steelbook).

Still, there are some good gems in here. I wish we could hear the music to get the full joke, but there's a great new intro on the alternate take on World of the Psychic (which I think is a slightly funnier scene, even if the addition of Milton and Chloe Webb's performance are better than what we got here). I really liked the additional bit after they use the Gigameter where Dana asks Peter if she's cursed, and the Dana/Peter moment in the courtroom. The Sherman Tully scene is fascinating but kind of a shrug comedically; the other hospital scene is better. The Liberty navigational argument is also funny, and the new take of Hardemeyer outside the museum is better than the one in the previous batch.

Looking at this, I really do wonder if there's some chance the other stuff was found and was all held back because they would've had to edit it. Could just be sort of a confirmation bias thing when the very first scene opens with 30 seconds of silenced music, but there's another part of me that thinks this feels like a nicely comprehensive archive, and it seems a little odd that the other material wouldn't have been with it. It'd be interesting to know what the discovery process was for these scenes.

Yeah this is my thinking too. Where did these scenes come from? The guy that runs Spoon Central, Paul something, might have a line on how this was done. i know for the previous steelbook release someone from the company that Sony contracts these jobs out to contacted him and asked what fans really want to see special features wise. They pretty much gave him everything he asked for with that release and now this one, everything except for all the GB2 deleted scenes. I have to think they’ve lost anything not included here. I don’t think they are holding anything back, the more I think about it. It just doesn’t make sense.

D Osborn might also know. He’s working on the GB2 documentary and might know when this stuff was found, or if certain stuff is for sure lost. He’s mentioned some big surprises on the documentary but whether or not that’s deleted scene related I’m not sure.

I just don’t see why they wouldn’t include Ray Possessed or the ending at the Statue of Liberty,

Now. That being said. There’s also William Forsche. That dude seems to have a black & white workprint of GB2. He has scenes in black & white on his YouTube channel and aren’t included here(Louis hanging KFC chicken up & opening the trap when Slimer falls for the bait). So does he have the Ray possessed scene in black & white? I dunno. I know that man pretty much documented ILM’s involvement working on the film & his footage is a damn treasure trove of GB2 awesomeness. Some of its been taken down tho over the years.

Mysteries abound
Ever since I got the trading card as a kid, I wanted to see the scene of Ray crying.

The one where he's wearing a flappy skull cap. Do you all know what I mean?

OHH I'm pretty sure this is it

https://www.gbfans.com/w/images/7/74/Gh ... ard_93.jpg

"Sony came to me back on December 5th asking what items the fans would like to see on a new release. Let's just say, that I was not shy in providing a list...and continual updates in the months since"
- Paul Rudoff, Spook Central (April 2019)

It's strange since he was consulting on the 2019 Steelbook, and while it was good it wasn't as comprehensive as this. Did they use his entire list? Or save it for this set? Maybe he stayed on with this new one, but it doesn't seem so. Any good fan when asked by Sony about what scenes they want would say Possessed Ray and Statue of Liberty in a heartbeat, and not so much "Janosz making noise in the hallway".
My only thought is that they had to meet a deadline, and were editing from raw takes, and these are simply the scenes that were done in time. I would not be shocked if they do another release with any last GB1 scenes (I don't think there are at this point) the rest of the GBII ones and some new Afterlife ones.

2024 40th anniversary here we come!
RichardLess wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:46 am Yeah this is my thinking too. Where did these scenes come from? The guy that runs Spoon Central, Paul something, might have a line on how this was done. i know for the previous steelbook release someone from the company that Sony contracts these jobs out to contacted him and asked what fans really want to see special features wise. They pretty much gave him everything he asked for with that release and now this one, everything except for all the GB2 deleted scenes. I have to think they’ve lost anything not included here. I don’t think they are holding anything back, the more I think about it. It just doesn’t make sense.
I can verify this. After a month and change, around January 17, 2019, Paul contacted by me about what unreleased content he'd hypothetically like to see be released for the 35th anniversary. I'm fairly sure they were asking webmasters of fan sites that they had contact info of. Myself and Devilmanozzy helped him compile a list. We spent two days going back and forth in an email chain. When I talked with Eric Reich on January 23, 2019, one of the things he asked me about was what new special features I would like to see and I pretty much gave him the whole shebang as well and suggested some other fan site owners to contact. We didn't leave anything out yet and then there are things you just can't account for like, Eric mentioned a few things in passing over the past 3 years that shocked me. Like in one of the GB1 drafts, there's one bit from the 1st montage where it's late night and Ray is driving back to the Firehouse while the others are asleep in Ecto-1, tired from all the caseloads. And Eric casually mentioned something to the effect of, 'yeah that was filmed.' (I don't have my copy of this Ultimate set, so I don't know if that's on).

I would guess this stuff came from the Kansas salt mine where Sony kept stuff preserved. But as they've hinted, back then in the 80s, they weren't thinking of archival (and probably organizing) so finding it was like a bit of Indiana Jones and the time between the 35th anniversary steelbook and this set was probably how much more stuff they found from that mine that still had to be processed. Whatever is missing in this set, there's the possibility there's still more things they are still going through from the one Kansas mine and more mines and/or vaults they are currently searching through. I think Ivan Reitman has his own storage in San Fernando for example. The GB2 soundtrack is probably more most extreme case of bad archiving. It's possible these other GB2 deleted scenes are still being searched for.
Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 5:41 am
RichardLess wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:46 am Yeah this is my thinking too. Where did these scenes come from? The guy that runs Spoon Central, Paul something, might have a line on how this was done. i know for the previous steelbook release someone from the company that Sony contracts these jobs out to contacted him and asked what fans really want to see special features wise. They pretty much gave him everything he asked for with that release and now this one, everything except for all the GB2 deleted scenes. I have to think they’ve lost anything not included here. I don’t think they are holding anything back, the more I think about it. It just doesn’t make sense.
I can verify this. After a month and change, around January 17, 2019, Paul contacted by me about what unreleased content he'd hypothetically like to see be released for the 35th anniversary. I'm fairly sure they were asking webmasters of fan sites that they had contact info of. Myself and Devilmanozzy helped him compile a list. We spent two days going back and forth in an email chain. When I talked with Eric Reich on January 23, 2019, one of the things he asked me about was what new special features I would like to see and I pretty much gave him the whole shebang as well and suggested some other fan site owners to contact. We didn't leave anything out yet and then there are things you just can't account for like, Eric mentioned a few things in passing over the past 3 years that shocked me. Like in one of the GB1 drafts, there's one bit from the 1st montage where it's late night and Ray is driving back to the Firehouse while the others are asleep in Ecto-1, tired from all the caseloads. And Eric casually mentioned something to the effect of, 'yeah that was filmed.' (I don't have my copy of this Ultimate set, so I don't know if that's on).

I would guess this stuff came from the Kansas salt mine where Sony kept stuff preserved. But as they've hinted, back then in the 80s, they weren't thinking of archival (and probably organizing) so finding it was like a bit of Indiana Jones and the time between the 35th anniversary steelbook and this set was probably how much more stuff they found from that mine that still had to be processed. Whatever is missing in this set, there's the possibility there's still more things they are still going through from the one Kansas mine and more mines and/or vaults they are currently searching through. I think Ivan Reitman has his own storage in San Fernando for example. The GB2 soundtrack is probably more most extreme case of bad archiving. It's possible these other GB2 deleted scenes are still being searched for.
I saw a tiny bit in the test cut of Peter asleep on Ray while driving
Ecto24601 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 6:30 am Food for thought: maybe they're holding back on possessed Ray to use it as a plotline in a sequel for Vigo's return. It's been hinted at by Jason in a couple of interviews and that footage could be a comfortable way to open the door. Time is but a window...
After all the criticism GBA got for being a lazy fan service Easter egg hunt there’s no way they’d be dumb enough to re use a villain.

I say for the next movie Sony goes all out and spends like 300 million to de age and deepfake the OGB’s and do some sort of time travel thing. The latest episode of “The Book of Boba Fett” features bar none the best de ageing/deepfake I’ve ever seen. I won’t spoil it but..it’s flawless. We are living in a strange new world with that technology.
deadderek liked this

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]