So I've been lurking this website for a long time, and finally decided that I wanted to take a crack at really building a GB prop to the best of my limited ability.

I've got my ALICE frame all ready for my Haslab pack, I put together my uniform last year, I have a PKE Meter and a really crappy Gizmo I "made", but I was still missing goggles. Since they would end up being displayed quite prominently on my face were I to get all geared up, I wanted to really do my best and make them look awesome (relatively).

My sister's bf has a 3D printer, so she asked him to print me some files, specifically TheGoon's files from Thingiverse.

I also bought some NOS AN/PVS5 straps on eBay, took a page out of Adam Savage's playbook and purchased cheap motorcycle goggles from Amazon specifically for the face pad. I also picked up some Tamiya OD Green, some Rust-Oleum filler primer, some satin black, and a silver metallic spray paint.

I don't have any pics of my painting process because I was too wrapped up in messing it all up. I learned a great deal that weekend about patience and weather as it relates to spray painting.

In the meantime, I was also stockpiling various incorrect sizes of acrylic discs, and (thankfully) properly sized snap fastener sets.

I also managed to find this guy on Amazon right in the middle of my part-hunting for $70-something, which just added fuel to the fire honestly.

But anyway back to the goggles, again I don't have any process pics, because as parts came in, assembled it in fits and starts when I wasn't bogged down with my boring ass real life responsibilities. This is less of a build thread and more of a "Hey look at me! I made something please don't shit on it!" post.

Here they are after final assembly. Shout to Demon Vice Commander for his decal file, which I HORRRRRRRIBLY botched when attempting to print on foil paper via laser jet. I got ONE good label out of it, because I had no idea what I was doing, and maybe ruined my office copy machine. Shhh.

To make my clear lenses, I attached my Dremel to my bench vice with a sanding wheel, and marked my acrylic discs to size, and went to town trying to get them sanded to size, as near to round as I could. That was a moderate success, and actually pretty relaxing to do.

I also learned that when you use CA glue on clear acrylic or acrylic paint, it messes it alllll up. Totally winging it for the win!

After realizing CA glue wouldn't hold my padding on, I ended up just using a hot glue gun to attach it, and frankly it's a mess. I may re-do that in the future, but it's holding and works for now.

I should also mention McMaster-Carr as the place I ordered all the hardware from, and even though I had to buy way more than I needed, it literally arrived NEXT DAY, which was very cool.

And my goofy ass wearing them

All in all, they're not screen accurate, but I had a blast, and it gave me the opportunity to test myself in this arena. Definitely will attempt more in the future!

I really can't say I stand on the shoulders of giants, because I'm honestly more standing in the very back of the same room as them, likely hovering near the cheese plate. You all have done some amazing things, and it's been inspiring!

A giant thanks to everyone on this forum giving out all their tips and knowledge simply for the love of it all! It was a big help! Until next time!

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]