Hi all, I’m the mom of a little boy who was lucky enough to be gifted a scaled proton pack from benofkent props. It arrived yesterday and he is beside himself. However, I am totally and completely lost as to how to put it together. There are very few screws, no instructions, and the only reference photos I’ve found don’t indicate whether or not the build includes upgrades. Please help me. Do I just glue these things on? How do I know where things go? Is it equipped to light up? What pieces do I paint? I need a mentor who will help me for the sake of this little kid who is desperate for me to figure this out. Does anyone have links I can use?
ccv66 liked this
First off, welcome to the forum, DAspiro416.

If you're able, would you be able to take a photo... Or photos of the pieces you received laid out on a dining table (or the floor if that is easier for you)? If you're able to upload them, we can take a look and see what you have received, and then advise you on the best course of action. The lack of instructions is disappointing... But it's my hope we'll be able to guide you in the right direction to getting your Son's Pack assembled. :)
CitizenBuster liked this
I'll give what guidance I can, however there are people more skilled than I in Pack builds who hopefully will chime in later.

Looking at the bits that you have, there doesn't appear to be any light kit supplied... So you will have to acquire one in order to have this Pack light up. Is it a 1:1 scale reproduction of the originals, or a scaled-down one? I'm assuming it's a scaled down kit?
https://www.gbfans.com/wiki/Proton_Pack_Part_Names

This page might help you understand the part names and where they're located.

If no one else chimes in overnight I'll do a proper reply for you explaining where the parts go in the morning. You're going to need a drill, taps, and Allen keys, plus various screws. I'll try list all of that for you as well.
Thank you so much. I’m incredibly grateful for your support. I have come to understand that I can but a light system to go in the pack but I’m not sure where or from whom I should purchase that, let alone how to install it so that it functions. I’m determined to not give up even though this is not my skill set so I’m very grateful for any support. Thank you for your kindness.
DAspiro416 wrote: October 13th, 2022, 2:07 pm Its a scaled down one 80%
Thanks for the confirmation on the scale, I'll have a look and see what 80%-scale electronic kits are available out there.

Onto the parts (excellent photo by the way), the following parts will be attached to these main Proton Pack elements:

Pack shell (A)
B, C, D, E, H, K, L, M, O, P, U, V, W, X, 6, 17, 18, 19

Proton Gun (7)
F, Q, R, S, T, Z, 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Then there's a selection of parts that both the shell and the Proton Gun share:

Y, 4, 5

Here's some parts I'm uncertain of (would you be able to post some photos of these components?):

24, N

These parts will also require a closer look, as one of these goes on the Proton Gun, and one goes on the Pack shell:

G, I and J

The items you appear to still need are as follows:
Lights
Sound (if you're wanting it to have sound as well)
A.L.I.C.E Pack frame (or similar shoulder strap rig for wearing)
80% scale labels
Tigress_Ren liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

DAspiro416 wrote: October 14th, 2022, 7:58 am Thank you so much. I’m incredibly grateful for your support. I have come to understand that I can but a light system to go in the pack but I’m not sure where or from whom I should purchase that, let alone how to install it so that it functions. I’m determined to not give up even though this is not my skill set so I’m very grateful for any support. Thank you for your kindness.
So.. this pack is 80% light kits used to be hard find for the scaled down packs. BUT now that the Spirit Halloween packs are out there are a few options.

Option 1: Other GBfans can 100% confirm if these would work but it's already 80% scaled down light kits for the Spirit Halloween packs. The thing is that they're not in stock right this moment so if you need it done by Halloween then this is probably not going to work https://frankengeek.ecwid.com/Electroni ... -c60731097

Option 2: There's the coding and soldering route. There are many tutorials on how to make and copy & paste code for pack lights and maybe sound out there. https://github.com/CountDeMonet/ArduinoProtonPack

Option 3: "fairy lights" off amazon (like these: https://www.amazon.com/Homestarry-Sets- ... r=8-2&th=1) They won't blink in the correct order but it could be a quick fix while waiting for other light options to come in stock.

Option 4: Now I don't know every solution to lights in a Proton Pack but being creative and finding solutions is a part of this fandom! If you find something in a store that works better for you than anything I mentioned, great! I made the circling red Cyclotron lights out of a spin art machine and a small LED light. I have a video of it here on my Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWJcAFmvhDk/\

I hope this helped somehow.

Good Luck!
Mikeol1987, Kingpin liked this
I'm not a pack builder (though I want to make one, one day) but I thought I'd let you know in case you didn't @DAspiro416 that ben of kent (as I remember it) directs people to his youtube page for tutorials on assembly though they are not entirely concise there are certain areas covered that may be useful in the future. There is a "general assembly guide" on a 60% size pack on his youtube page, which will be much the same as yours if not exact in the way it goes together.

Here is the specific "General Assembly of 60% Proton Pack" video (18 mins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDlooSXTlEo

Here is a 60% proton gun build video part 1 (23 mins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wby7Y_F-mMU
proton gun part 2 (11 mins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNSkDWBkfO0
60% Pack no wand attached and view of straps and battery compartment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JQydC1n3-0

These videos seem specifically geared towards folks such as yourself. There are more videos that dive into *some* specific areas of the builds on his channel. Hopefully this might help a little bit somewhere in the process and good luck on the build for your boy!
In terms of what all your parts are so you can align them to the diagram I posted earlier:

A: Proton pack shell (mounted to aluminium motherboard)
B: Hydrogen Gas Actuator (HGA)
C: Beam Line
D: Filler tube
E: Injector Tubes
F: Proton wand clear tube
G: Clippard Valve (wand or pack, interchangeable)
H: Ion arm resistor
I: Clippard Valve (wand or pack, interchangeable)
J: Unsure - might be knob for top of Clippard valve (part I), but could do with a better photo
K: Booster tube plug (goes in the top of part X, booster tube)
L: Crank Knob (attaches to crank generator on shell)
M: PPD
N: Unsure what this is, need a better photo please
O: Shock Mount
P: Ion Arm Resistor
Q: Proton wand front grip rear ear
R: Proton wand front grip front ear
S: Proton wand rear cylinder
T: Proton Wand front cylinder
U: Bumper
V: Booster ladder
W: Ribbon cable
X: Booster tube
Y: V-hook - left part attaches to the shell, right part attaches to part 16
Z: Proton wand instrument bar
1: Proton wand instrument bar cover
2: Proton wand trigger box
3: Proton wand trigger box cover
4: Pack and wand tubing/loom
5: Wand to pack loom/vac hose loom
6: Powercell lens (blue) and cyclotron lenses (red)
7: Proton wand body
8: Proton wand body base
9/10: Proton wand handles
11: Vac hose
12: Proton wand heatsink
13: Proton wand front handle grip
14: Proton wand rear handle grip
15: Proton wand gun track discs (attach to part 16)
16: Proton wand gun track
17: Ion arm resistor
18: Ribbon cable clamp
19: Ion arm
20: Proton wand trigger tip (goes over end of part F)
21: Proton wand top knob
22/23: Proton wand side discs
24: Proton wand clear tube adapter (connects part F to part 9 or 10)
25: Proton wand front knob
26: Proton wand large side knob
27: Proton wand banjos (attach to 20 and R, with smaller diameter red tubing between them)
28: Proton wand small side disc

Missing pack items:
x1 Ribbon cable p-clamp (you should be able to get this at a hardware store)
x3 Legris elbows (could 3D print, or buy full size from gbfans store, or maybe on etsy, or ask Benofkent if he does them)
x2 Legris straights (could 3D print, or buy full size from gbfans store, or maybe on etsy, or ask Benofkent if he does them)
x3 Clippard elbows (could 3D print, or just buy full size from somewhere like the gbfans store, or maybe on etsy, or ask Benofkent if he does them)
Labels (recommend Moby Sign Co's Spirit labels - should be about the right scale)
Hardware - bolts etc (this thread covers all the cosmetic ones, just scale down one size in most cases. You'll need others for attaching parts too)
Electronics, inc. battery
ALICE frame, inc. straps
ALICE frame to motherboard spacers

Missing wand items:
x2 Clippard hose barbs (available from gbfans store or maybe etsy)
Electronics (most kits come with pack and wand)
Hatlight lenses (x2 milky white, x1 orange, gbfans sell them, or you could get 3D printed ones, or ask Benofkent if he does them)
Arcoelectric or Cliplite lenses (x1 red, x1 clear, gbfans sell them, or you might be able to get 3D printed ones, or ask Benofkent if he does them)
Labels (recommend Moby Sign Co's Spirit labels - should be about the right scale)
Hardware - bolts etc (this thread covers all the cosmetic ones, just scale down one size in most cases. You'll need others for attaching parts too)

I think that is everything I can think of for now! How soon are you trying to get this together?
Kingpin liked this
Holy moly. You are so so so kind. I would like to get started on it because I see that it is a much bigger lift than I had any idea of. I believe the first step is going to have to be purchasing hardware. Is there a specific thread I can look at to get a list of which ones I need to buy?

Your comment is incredibly helpful. Other than obtaining a list of hardware is there a different place to start?
Prime 1986, tobycj liked this
DAspiro416 wrote: October 17th, 2022, 2:17 pm Holy moly. You are so so so kind. I would like to get started on it because I see that it is a much bigger lift than I had any idea of. I believe the first step is going to have to be purchasing hardware. Is there a specific thread I can look at to get a list of which ones I need to buy?

Your comment is incredibly helpful. Other than obtaining a list of hardware is there a different place to start?
I'm assuming you're in the US, so imperial size hardware is easier to come by than metric, but I'll give you an idea of both. If you have a McMaster Carr near you, they're supposed to be good to get this stuff, and they also do mailorder. I've included links to some of the more unusual screw types so you have an idea of what they look when you're buying them (they're UK vendors I've used in the past myself, as I'm not in the US).

Some of this stuff is a bit of a best guess, and I've scaled them down from a full-sized pack in most cases, but it should give you a solid start of what hardware you need to get going. Anything with holes for mounting already in you should measure first, and make sure the sizes I've recommended aren't too small (too large is ok, you can tap the holes to fit)

You're going to need a drill, a set of taps (metric or imperial depending on which screws you get), Allen keys, screwdrivers, and probably a Dremel/rotary tool, to get all of this attached. I strongly recommend measuring twice before you drill anything! If you do drill holes in the wrong place then a car body filler like Bondo will fill the holes, and can be sanded smooth once dry. Do a dry fit of everything before you paint, and make sure you use primer on all the parts before doing your top coat of satin black paint.

A: Proton pack shell (mounted to aluminium motherboard) Looks to already have the socket cap screws attaching the shell to the motherboard, so nothing required
B: Hydrogen Gas Actuator (HGA) Looks to already have socket cap screws. If there is a hole in the middle you'll need x1 8-32/M4 or 10-32/M5 countersunk socket cap screw that is long enough to go all the way through and into the shell, with a nut inside the shell holding it in place.
C: Beam Line x1 10-32/M5 socket cap screw to mount from inside the shell, probably 1"/25mm is long enough
D: Filler tube x1 10-32/M5 socket cap screw to mount from inside the shell, probably 1"/25mm is long enough
E: Injector Tubes x2 10-32/M5 socket cap screw to mount from inside the shell, probably 2"/50mm is long enough
F: Proton wand clear tube no screws required
G: Clippard Valve (wand or pack, interchangeable) Pack would want x2 6-32 socket cap screws, 1"/25mm length
H: Ion arm resistor 4-40 socket cap screw, 1/2"/12mm length
I: Clippard Valve (wand or pack, interchangeable) Wand would want x2 8-32 slotted fillister head screws, 3/4"/20mm length. You could just use socket cap screws if you can't find fillister ones
J: Unsure - might be knob for top of Clippard valve (part I), but could do with a better photo
K: Booster tube plug (goes in the top of part X, booster tube) Should be able to glue this in place in the booster tube, should poke out about 1/8"/3mm
L: Crank Knob (attaches to crank generator on shell) 8-23/M4 socket cap screw from inside the shell, 1"/25mm should be ok
M: PPD Looks like this has a mounting hole for a countersunk socket cap screw - unsure on size. Length should be long enough to go through the PPD and into the shell, with a nut on the inside if you can get one on
N: Unsure what this is, need a better photo please
O: Shock Mount x1 Slotted mushroom head screw (like this, needs to be long enough to go through the shock mount, the bumper (part U), and into the shell with a nut on the back, so probably 2"/50mm or more length. 10-32/M5 I think
P: Ion Arm Resistor 4-40 socket cap screw, 1/2"/12mm length
Q: Proton wand front grip rear ear Glued on, optional 4-40 socket cap bolt going through parallel to the metal tube handle and into the grip itself
R: Proton wand front grip front ear Glued on, no screws
S: Proton wand rear cylinder 8-32/M4 socket cap screw from inside the wand body (part 7), 3/4"/20mm length
T: Proton Wand front cylinder 8-32/M4 socket cap screw from inside the wand body (part 7), 3/4"/20mm length
U: Bumper x4 8-32/M4 machine screws (like this, 1"/25mm length. You could use socket cap screws if you wanted though. Also needs steel washers
V: Booster ladder x2 8-32/M4 socket cap screws, 3/4"/20mm length. Also needs brass washers (steel would do though)
W: Ribbon cable No screws required
X: Booster tube x2 10-32/M5 socket cap screws from inside the shell, 1"/25mm should be long enough. Check the size of the mounting holes already in it though!
Y: V-hook - left part attaches to the shell, right part attaches to part 16 Looks like it has screws with it
Z: Proton wand instrument bar x2 8-32/M4 socket cap screws from inside the wand body, 1/2"/12mm length
1: Proton wand instrument bar cover x2 6-32 socket cap screws, 1/4"/6mm length
2: Proton wand trigger box Very fiddly to screw on to the instrument bar, but more secure than just glue, so make a choice on ease/sturdiness. 4-40/M3 socket cap screws from inside the trigger box into the end of the instrument bar, 1/2"/12mm should be long enough - may need to be shorter depending on the internal width of the trigger box
3: Proton wand trigger box cover No screws needed, snaps into place
4: Pack and wand tubing/loom No screws needed
5: Wand to pack loom/vac hose loom No screws needed. Wand loom goes in a hole (that you need to drill) in the shell, and can then have zip ties inside the shell to stop it pulling out the hole, and zip ties to attach to the wand handle. Vac hose can be glued into part 11, and a hole drilled to feed into the shell between the crank generator and gearbox, or attach a piece of wooden dowel there with a screw from inside the shell, and glue the vac hose over it
6: Powercell lens (blue) and cyclotron lenses (red) No screws needed, use hot glue to hold in place
7: Proton wand body
8: Proton wand body base x6 6-32 socket cap screws, 1/4"/6mm length
9/10: Proton wand handles No screws needed. Use epoxy glue to attach to part 7 - Proton Wand Body
11: Vac hose Glue into hole in shell, use epoxy glue
12: Proton wand heatsink x4 4-40/M3 socket cap screws, one in each corner. Check they'll fit between the fins though, or you may need to go a size smaller! Length 1/2"/12mm should be ok
13: Proton wand front handle grip Can glue this on (advise against this though as electronics need to run underneath it, so you may need to remove it), or use x2 8-32/M4 socket cap screws countersunk into the grip. Length needs to be long enough to go through the grip and into the part 9/10
14: Proton wand rear handle grip You can glue this one on
15: Proton wand gun track discs (attach to part 16) x2 6-32 socket cap screws, 3/4"/20mm length
16: Proton wand gun track Attaches to part 8 with screws from parts 15 and Y
17: Ion arm resistor Glue in place
18: Ribbon cable clamp x2 6-32 socket cap screws, 3/4"/20mm
19: Ion arm x4 8-32/M4 socket cap screws mounted from inside the shell (one in each corner), 2"/50mm length
20: Proton wand trigger tip (goes over end of part F) Can glue this on, or use a screw through part 27 and this piece to hold tight against part F - clear tube
21: Proton wand top knob x1 4-40 socket cap screw, 1/2"/12mm length
22/23: Proton wand side discs Mount from inside wand body, x2 8-32/M4 socket cap screws, 1/2"/12mm length - may need to be shorter as don't want them going all the way through the side discs so depends on thickness of wand body walls
24: Proton wand clear tube adapter (connects part F to part 9 or 10) Glues into place
25: Proton wand front knob 8-32/M4 socket cap screw from inside the wand body, 1/2"/12mm length. Could glue on if needed
26: Proton wand large side knob 8-32/M4 socket cap screw from inside the wand body, 1/2"/12mm length. Could glue on if needed
27: Proton wand banjos (attach to 20 and R, with smaller diameter red tubing between them) x2 8-32/M4 slotted head hex screws (like this, not sure on length, needs to be long enough to go through banjo and screw into parts R and 20 though.
28: Proton wand small side disc 4-40/M3 socket cap screw from inside the wand body, 1/2"/12mm length. Could glue on if needed

For attaching the ALICE frame to the motherboard you'll want x3 1/4-20 /M6 machine screws, 1 1/2"/40mm length.

Hope that all helps! If you're on facebook there are a bunch of groups that can provide help and advice too. It might be worth seeing if you have a Ghostbusters franchise local to you, as the folk in that might be able to help you out too.

Benofkent
Ghostbusters: How to build a proton pack
Ghostbusters Prop & Costume Builders
The Ghostbusters Reference Library (this is veritable goldmine of reference photos that will be useful for you!)
Mikeol1987 liked this
DAspiro416 wrote: October 14th, 2022, 7:58 am Thank you so much. I’m incredibly grateful for your support. I have come to understand that I can but a light system to go in the pack but I’m not sure where or from whom I should purchase that, let alone how to install it so that it functions. I’m determined to not give up even though this is not my skill set so I’m very grateful for any support. Thank you for your kindness.
With it being a 80% build pack like a Spirit Halloween one, you could go to Frankengeek and get his lights and sounds kit as well as his smoke kit that goes in the N-Filter.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]