Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Thinking back to when GBA had its various premieres from August-Nov 2021 & I remember Ivan Reitman(RIP) saying they made various cuts from those versions to what we all now see.

Has anyone ever made any sort of attempt at recollecting what changed? I think it was after NYCC that Ivan said they made a few trims & nips/tucks. Can anyone recall anything? I doubt it was whole sequences so it’s probably very hard/almost impossible to remember.
Alphagaia liked this
That's correct, zeta. The CinemaCon screening was August 23, 2021 while NYCC was October 8. So Jason Reitman has a total of a month and about 2 weeks to tweak after that anecdote of Ivan telling him halfway through the screening a few frames should be trimmed (at least one shot). Jason said he edited until some point in September (maybe even up to the week of the screening in October).

4:45-5:05
Jason talks about it here if anyone needs the link:

"We were even at CinemaCon last month watching the movie with an audience. My father sitting next to me. The movie's going. Halfway through, my father leans in. I think this is the moment he's about to say, "I'm proud of you." Instead he goes, "You really got to cut a few frames off that shot." So we opened the movie back up and we made a few changes."

The halfway point was I think Podcast and Phoebe testing the pack at the foundry. I think what Jason was referring to could have been what we saw in some bts and promos of the exchange Phoebe and Podcast have after Muncher escapes. Podcast yells, "Yes!" Phoebe leaves him hanging for a high five and states, "I told you to trap him." He replies, "It's fine, we'll get him next time. Okay? Okay." He tells her, "I had fun, we had fun." Or perhaps the bit when Trevor joins Lucky and her friends after work in the scene before. We know that was longer originally.
Alphagaia liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: October 30th, 2022, 8:10 am That's correct, zeta. The CinemaCon screening was August 23, 2021 while NYCC was October 8. So Jason Reitman has a total of a month and about 2 weeks to tweak after that anecdote of Ivan telling him halfway through the screening a few frames should be trimmed (at least one shot). Jason said he edited until some point in September (maybe even up to the week of the screening in October).

4:45-5:05
Jason talks about it here if anyone needs the link:

"We were even at CinemaCon last month watching the movie with an audience. My father sitting next to me. The movie's going. Halfway through, my father leans in. I think this is the moment he's about to say, "I'm proud of you." Instead he goes, "You really got to cut a few frames off that shot." So we opened the movie back up and we made a few changes."

The halfway point was I think Podcast and Phoebe testing the pack at the foundry. I think what Jason was referring to could have been what we saw in some bts and promos of the exchange Phoebe and Podcast have after Muncher escapes. Podcast yells, "Yes!" Phoebe leaves him hanging for a high five and states, "I told you to trap him." He replies, "It's fine, we'll get him next time. Okay? Okay." He tells her, "I had fun, we had fun." Or perhaps the bit when Trevor joins Lucky and her friends after work in the scene before. We know that was longer originally.
I'm still mystified why we don't have ANY of those cut scenes yet. I can't remember the last time I've bought a movie that was so light on that sort of thing before Afterlife XD Hopefully we don't have to wait for a deluxe boxset of the Afterlife Trilogy or whatever to get that footage.
Davideverona wrote: October 30th, 2022, 12:40 pm Also, they shot the Winston after credit scene in August, I don't recall if before or after the Cinema Con.
Thanks to a fan or two posting about filming and the bts video tweet, we know that tag was filming on August 11, 2021 and maybe a day or two after. So if Jason was able to insert that into the cut shown at CinemaCon in less than 2 weeks... it's close but it's possible.
Kingpin, Davideverona liked this
I have a theory on why they added it so late in the game.

Haven't COVID happened, we would have been graced with GBA on July 2020, a movie where throughout the story there were some brief scenes with Janine communicating Egon's demise to the other Ghostbusters. End of story. Jason take some rest and maybe he eventually come up with an idea for a sequel.

The movie was delayed two years. In this time, tweaking and cutting Afterlife, Jason and Gil start writing a rough pitch for GBA 2. Its finally 2021, Ghostbusters Afterlife is ready to debut on the silver screen, but Jason realize that in order to being coherent with Firehouse they need less original Ghostbusters and, above all, they need an after credit scene to tell the audience "hey, we're working on another one!"

So they move all the GB scenes after the credits leaving just the Occult Book one (that way they quickly explain what happened to the OGB), cut most of Janine screen time and shoot a brand new after credit scene with Ernie.

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]