gpstar wrote: February 9th, 2023, 10:23 am -I started adding smoke. It will let off a little bit of smoke while you are continuously firing, then of course during overheat it runs longer for more smoke. I have more ideas on the smoke, but at the moment I took a vape pen out of my ghost trap and using that with a small pump. Any smoke machine using 5v will work and can be triggered on or off. With the sound of the pack, you can't hear the pump. I 3D printed a rough draft of a new n-filter cone and the smoke pours out of that at the moment. However I have more ideas I will try later on, such as adding a small led or NeoPixel jewel in the n-filter to light up the smoke during overheat cycles, and I would like I put a small dc motor attached to the n-filter cone to spin the cone while the pack is smoking (longer term goal). In the end I think I will keep the vape pen near the Power Cell storage door for easy access to refill, and hook it up to the 5v power supply of the pack. It is something I will come back to after things are finished as this will do for now.

-Added more colours to the inner cyclotron lights based on the firing mode.

I am wrapping things up now. I started drawing out the connections for a half-sized protoboard. I should have this done over the weekend. I am just waiting on a few diodes to arrive in the mail which I should have by Monday and some half-sized protoboards by Tuesday (only going to need 1). So next week will be assembly and soldering and installing into the pack for testing.

I also ordered up the connections I am going to use for the hose on the pack end.
MS3106A14S-2P and MS3102A14S-2S

Also I added a second smoke machine/pump/motor onto another pin that draws off a 5v vape pen (can be any smoke machine as long as it's 5v). I am going to have this one outlet out of the top of the booster tube for a bit of smoke during firing phases, just like the n-filter one. I also ordered up a small DC motor which I want to test out with a 3d printed n-filter cone to see how it works. While waiting this weekend for the parts orders to arrive early next week, I am going to attempt to remove the n-filter cap and explore the possibility of sticking a neo-pixel jewel into it, and chain it off the last LED in the cyclotron lid (I believe I saw a unused OUT pin and PWR/GND on the last led that is not used). All these things are optional of course....
gpstar wrote: February 10th, 2023, 10:24 am Also I added a second smoke machine/pump/motor onto another pin that draws off a 5v vape pen (can be any smoke machine as long as it's 5v). I am going to have this one outlet out of the top of the booster tube for a bit of smoke during firing phases, just like the n-filter one. I also ordered up a small DC motor which I want to test out with a 3d printed n-filter cone to see how it works. While waiting this weekend for the parts orders to arrive early next week, I am going to attempt to remove the n-filter cap and explore the possibility of sticking a neo-pixel jewel into it, and chain it off the last LED in the cyclotron lid (I believe I saw a unused OUT pin and PWR/GND on the last led that is not used). All these things are optional of course....
Great job! I look forward to the new boards when available. I wonder if you could use the power for the vibrator to run a smoke fan? No sense letting all the good DC go to waste.
I'm also ordering a new hose plug with addition wires. Currently looking at a 4 wire version of this one
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22557999 ... _shipto=US
First of all, fantastic progress. I am digging all of this. I realize this would mean a refactor of code and pins, but if you happen to use a set of ESP32 arduinos, and use the ESP NOW library, you could P2P communicate between the pack and the wand wirelessly, and not need to worry about the hose connection. You could still use the 2 pins for power in the hose if you wanted to. You would also gain the ability to wirelessly talk to other GB gadgets, for example, the belt gizmo could light up or a PKE meter could switch on if the stream is activated. Super super extra, and just something to throw out there. But again, fantastic work and I look forward to seeing more of it!
Success, I split the cyclotron lid and got into the back of the LEDs. I ran a quick test and I found that led #4 of the cyclotron has an out pin and I managed to chain a NeoPixel to it and can control it. So now I will run this in through the hidden backside of the lid out into the n-filter for an overheat light. This will be a optional feature of course…
kahuna900 liked this
jonogunn wrote: February 10th, 2023, 6:55 pm would the internal likes you have with your 3D printed replacement panel be optional as well?

I think doing the cyclotron lights is a must but for me I can do without the extra lights

I suppose a better question is will all the features be pick and choose at will?
All optional. You can pick and choose which optional things you want to use or not. It will not affect the base functionality of the stock kit.
Slightly off topic, but, how hard would it be to add something similar to this to the setup your currently working up? I really like the idea of the animated sign with the warning to stand back during venting.
Last edited by Kingpin on February 11th, 2023, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
Cool, you got the Booster tube smoking too. I love the lighting you put in the N-filter. I'll be using that.
Mine will have the inner tube in the booster raise up when it smokes. I have one of these to use as a linear actuator-
https://www.adafruit.com/product/5466
A little red LED in the base where the smoke comes out, and that will be some fun stuff.

Thanks again for all you've done on this project. I have no idea how you managed to do all of this so fast and still have time to sleep.

gpstar wrote: February 11th, 2023, 9:55 am -Added the second smoke option. I have it coming out of the booster tube.
-I also managed to get the n-filter cap off and I stuck a NeoPixel jewel inside. Both are optional.

Anyhow, time to start wrapping things up.
dankramer1138 wrote: February 11th, 2023, 12:07 pm Cool, you got the Booster tube smoking too. I love the lighting you put in the N-filter. I'll be using that.
Mine will have the inner tube in the booster raise up when it smokes. I have one of these to use as a linear actuator-
https://www.adafruit.com/product/5466
A little red LED in the base where the smoke comes out, and that will be some fun stuff.

Thanks again for all you've done on this project. I have no idea how you managed to do all of this so fast and still have time to sleep.

gpstar wrote: February 11th, 2023, 9:55 am -Added the second smoke option. I have it coming out of the booster tube.
-I also managed to get the n-filter cap off and I stuck a NeoPixel jewel inside. Both are optional.

Anyhow, time to start wrapping things up.
That is a cool idea.

I will probably be updating and maintaining the code for some time to come after release. I can imagine more optional features afterwards like you just mentioned, dc motors for the n-filter cone, etc etc. Maybe at one point replacing the cyclotron lid LEDs. It crossed my mind yesterday, just to get in video game mode colours, however Haslab I felt did a good job with the LED placement where they are mounted on a curve. That would take a bit of work to copy that with individual NeoPixels…. Perhaps with a NeoPixel ring…
The Joker Buster wrote: February 11th, 2023, 11:35 am Slightly off topic, but, how hard would it be to add something similar to this to the setup your currently working up? I really like the idea of the animated sign with the warning to stand back during venting.
Easy to do, would many people want that as an option?

Meanwhile I updated the first post here with all the features I added so far into this. I am sure I am missing some, but I will do a full feature video demo after I close up the pack and wand.
Yanks1023 wrote: February 13th, 2023, 6:34 am I agree. Hoping that once Gp finalizes everything, it can all be wrapped up in one nice zip file, with every step from start to finish. Code, bom, sound files etc. That would be amazing!
I try to keep the first post updated with relevant information. When finished I will put the code and files up on a github page and update the first post again.

Meanwhile I have just been taking apart the wand again and cleaning up some wiring, and mounting everything back while waiting for a Mouser order to arrive tomorrow with some parts for the pack to finish it. I hope to have the wand all closed up by then.
gpstar wrote: February 13th, 2023, 1:29 pm
jonogunn wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:24 am 2 arduino nanos enough?
1 Mega 2560 Rev 3 and 1 Nano. Without headers so you can solder onto the board. The clone ones are cheaper and don’t have the headers on them. Though the Mega I am using has a protoshield so I will just solder onto that.
Would an Uno be enough?
Last edited by jonogunn on February 13th, 2023, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonogunn wrote: February 13th, 2023, 1:46 pm
gpstar wrote: February 13th, 2023, 1:29 pm

1 Mega 2560 Rev 3 and 1 Nano. Without headers so you can solder onto the board. The clone ones are cheaper and don’t have the headers on them. Though the Mega I am using has a protoshield so I will just solder onto that.
Would an Uno be enough?
You could use a uno or nano for the pack, but depending on how many of the optional things you add (smoke pins, extra led pins, vent light, cyclotron lights, etc etc) you may not have enough pins. Plus for any future electronic mods.

Also you would need to give up 2 pins to use AltSoftSerial as you need at least 2 sets of tx/rx communication pins and the uno and nano have only 1. The Mega has 4 (5 if you add AltSoftSerial). I am using Serial2 for wand communication and Serial3 for communication to the sound board. In the wand, Serial1 is used for pack communication, then I am using AltSoftSerial to use pins 8 and 9 for serial communication to the wand audio board.
gpstar wrote: February 13th, 2023, 2:15 pm
jonogunn wrote: February 13th, 2023, 1:46 pm

Would an Uno be enough?
You could use a uno or nano for the pack, but depending on how many of the optional things you add (smoke pins, extra led pins, vent light, cyclotron lights, etc etc) you may not have enough pins. Plus for any future electronic mods.

Also you would need to give up 2 pins to use AltSoftSerial as you need at least 2 sets of tx/rx communication pins and the uno and nano have only 1. The Mega has 4 (5 if you add AltSoftSerial). I am using Serial2 for wand communication and Serial3 for communication to the sound board. In the wand, Serial1 is used for pack communication, then I am using AltSoftSerial to use pins 8 and 9 for serial communication to the wand audio board.
Thanks for that info. So mega is a must.

Would either of these work?
https://universal-solder.ca/product/ard ... le-ch340g/

https://universal-solder.ca/product/ard ... tmega16u2/

Also I know you’re waiting to finish before posting a list of supplies but are you able to name a few things off the top of your head? The website I posted is have a Valentine’s Day sale so I want to take advantage of the discount while I can
jonogunn wrote: February 13th, 2023, 2:54 pm
gpstar wrote: February 13th, 2023, 2:15 pm

Thanks for that info. So mega is a must.

Would either of these work?
https://universal-solder.ca/product/ard ... le-ch340g/

https://universal-solder.ca/product/ard ... tmega16u2/

Also I know you’re waiting to finish before posting a list of supplies but are you able to name a few things off the top of your head? The website I posted is have a Valentine’s Day sale so I want to take advantage of the discount while I can
Those will work but they have headers, so you need a protoshield like this if you want to solder onto it.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/192

Or find one without headers. There are more compact clones like this that should work:

https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/329040 ... c2fraMsite

If you plan to do lights in the cyclotron, grab 8 NeoPixel jewels plus one extra for a n-filter light, these can be a bit pricey when added up.
I have been searching for quite a bit but I don't know if I'm using the right terms. I want to make a new connector hose between the wand and the pack.

Adding a connector on the pack appears to be the easy part. Its the connection on the wand side that is confusing me.

What is everyone using for new connections? I was leaning towards a 4 pin connector, but don't know what size and what not? Also, if anyone can share how the wand wiring is connected to a new connector, that would be great!

Thank you all in advance.
da_rambler20 wrote: February 14th, 2023, 8:39 am I have been searching for quite a bit but I don't know if I'm using the right terms. I want to make a new connector hose between the wand and the pack.

Adding a connector on the pack appears to be the easy part. Its the connection on the wand side that is confusing me.

What is everyone using for new connections? I was leaning towards a 4 pin connector, but don't know what size and what not? Also, if anyone can share how the wand wiring is connected to a new connector, that would be great!

Thank you all in advance.
I am going to start building my new hose this week. For the wand side, I am thinking of modding a Neutrik connector to take 4 pins instead of the standard 3 it takes.
gpstar wrote: February 14th, 2023, 12:30 pm
jonogunn wrote: February 14th, 2023, 12:25 pm If I could fit a smaller neopixel ring into the cyclotron could I use that instead of the jewels?
Yes. I just need to know how many NeoPixels are in the ring to update the code.
wow thank you so much that'll save me some money.

Since my 40 ring is just too big I'm gonna try a 24 ring.
gpstar liked this
The soldering for the pack begins. The next few days, is to take everything from here:

and then get it onto the 1/2 breadboard and mounted into the pack.

I have the resistors, transistors and diodes on the board already.

After getting everything else soldered onto it, then I need to figure out trying to mod the Neutrik from a 3pin to a 4pin connector for the hose build. There are probably easier solutions but I will attempt this first before other options.

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]