You guys are way smarter than me. I'm barely following this.

But provided we unscrew the pack motherboard, wouldn't it then be a small step to replace whatever is neccessary to get more realistic lights?

-slow ramp up cyclotron
-anticlockwise lighting sequence like in the movie
gpstar wrote: January 10th, 2023, 8:22 am
jonogunn wrote: January 10th, 2023, 7:24 am

I’m also building a mk3 q pack!

For the electronics I wanted the afterlife cyclotron that includes the slow boot up ramp without paying 300-400 CAD for the ninjatunes kit. The open source ones, Mike_S11 and CountDeMonet don’t have that so I couldn’t go that route. Instead what I did was create a mash up of powercell lights from CountDeMonet and the afterlife cyclotron from CFunSeth with the help of another member on this forum. Then I paid someone on fiverr to create a speed-up/overheat sequence to the cyclotron/powercell that would initiate after about 14 seconds (same length as the Hasbro wand). I’d then swap out the intensify button with a dpdt version so it triggers both the the pack overheat and the wand firing.

The problem is a ran into a hiccup where I couldnt’t get the hum sound effect to loop seamlessly. Keeping things simple I used an adafruit sound fx board with trigger pins to activate the sounds. But despite following the website’s instructions, there is a noticeable slight gap in between the sound effect loops and is not seamless at all. This is beyond me to figure out so I’ve just put it on hold while I worked on other parts of the pack.

It’s too bad because I was excited to share this setup with others on this forum.

For the wand I figured that the Hasbro wand would look better than anything I print and put together. I also figured it’ll save me on cost, time and effort as some of the parts would be be costly as they would most likely be sourced from gbfans and the exchange rate and shipping would be quite a bit. For that reason I was trying to have a nice integration between the two. The only issue I have is the annoying 30second reset. So if there was a way I could do your set up to bypass the 30reset via the rumble knob it would make sense given my current setup and inability to do any coding of my own.
Trying not to go off topic here, but I will just this once. The wav trigger is polyphonic, that would solve your sound problem. I am using them in my q-pack mk3 build. I communicate to them over the TX/RX pins of a Arduino Mega to tell it when to play certain sounds. Here is a example I did months ago while building my electronics for my q-pack. No jankyness in the sounds. Just smooth and seamless polyphonic overlapping.

In this example, I have up to 3 tracks playing/overlapping each other at once. The hum of the pack, the firing sound and de-firing sound and the music. I also time delay the hum of the pack to play/overlap on top of startup boot sequence into a seamless sound experience.

In my second example, I am using 2 wav triggers and 2 sound setups. My plan when completed is to have separate sound system in both the wand and pack, but they can overlap sounds and communicate to each other, etc etc. I am not going to have a overheat mode. I am setting it up so you can fire continuously forever if you wanted (except on high power mode on the wand, I will add a overheat).

I honestly think you can 3D print the q-pack wand and paint/finish it for less than the cost of a Hasbro wand. 3D Print everything and later replace pieces later with gbfans metal pieces at a later date.
Thanks gpstar. I won't go off topic anymore after this. I see using TX/RX is the serial connection route which probably does a better job than the method I went with.

Your set up sound crisp and clean. Can I just ask if it's something you plan on sharing or selling in the future? And would you be including the afterlife lights or just the 84 lights?
jonogunn wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:06 pm
gpstar wrote: January 10th, 2023, 8:22 am

Trying not to go off topic here, but I will just this once. The wav trigger is polyphonic, that would solve your sound problem. I am using them in my q-pack mk3 build. I communicate to them over the TX/RX pins of a Arduino Mega to tell it when to play certain sounds. Here is a example I did months ago while building my electronics for my q-pack. No jankyness in the sounds. Just smooth and seamless polyphonic overlapping.

In this example, I have up to 3 tracks playing/overlapping each other at once. The hum of the pack, the firing sound and de-firing sound and the music. I also time delay the hum of the pack to play/overlap on top of startup boot sequence into a seamless sound experience.

In my second example, I am using 2 wav triggers and 2 sound setups. My plan when completed is to have separate sound system in both the wand and pack, but they can overlap sounds and communicate to each other, etc etc. I am not going to have a overheat mode. I am setting it up so you can fire continuously forever if you wanted (except on high power mode on the wand, I will add a overheat).

I honestly think you can 3D print the q-pack wand and paint/finish it for less than the cost of a Hasbro wand. 3D Print everything and later replace pieces later with gbfans metal pieces at a later date.
Thanks gpstar. I won't go off topic anymore after this. I see using TX/RX is the serial connection route which probably does a better job than the method I went with.

Your set up sound crisp and clean. Can I just ask if it's something you plan on sharing or selling in the future? And would you be including the afterlife lights or just the 84 lights?
I will post up what I did after I finish the q-pack as well as my code. I never planned on selling it, just sharing it for others to copy if they wish. Yes I plan on doing the afterlife light and sound mode with it as well. I have my pack fully printed and all my parts ready but I just need to sand and paint things then finish my electronics wiring.

Anyhow back on topic. Thinking of doing something with the unused black switch under the crank generator. Perhaps a toggle for changing the direction of the cyclotron lights between clockwise/anti-clockwise. Hmmmm
One time wrote: January 10th, 2023, 9:44 am You guys are way smarter than me. I'm barely following this.

But provided we unscrew the pack motherboard, wouldn't it then be a small step to replace whatever is neccessary to get more realistic lights?

-slow ramp up cyclotron
Hmm I have a idea for this, I will try out tomorrow.
gpstar wrote: January 10th, 2023, 2:25 pm
One time wrote: January 10th, 2023, 9:44 am You guys are way smarter than me. I'm barely following this.

-slow ramp up cyclotron
Hmm I have a idea for this, I will try out tomorrow.
First of all I want to give you some great compliments from your Italian cuisine.
I follow all the changes with passion, waiting to be able to make them too.
Thank you so much for sharing all your work, you are making a huge contribution to the GB community!
jonogunn, One time liked this
gpstar wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:47 pm
jonogunn wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:06 pm

I will post up what I did after I finish the q-pack as well as my code. I never planned on selling it, just sharing it for others to copy if they wish. Yes I plan on doing the afterlife light and sound mode with it as well. I have my pack fully printed and all my parts ready but I just need to sand and paint things then finish my electronics wiring.

Anyhow back on topic. Thinking of doing something with the unused black switch under the crank generator. Perhaps a toggle for changing the direction of the cyclotron lights between clockwise/anti-clockwise. Hmmmm
Alright dude you've convinced me. I'll 3D print my wand and abandon my own attempted set up lol. I look forward to it brother! Will you be adding a ramp up to the afterlife cyclotron startup sequence?

Regarding the toggle. That would be totally cool to do. It did bug me that it was the wrong direction
Gpstar, this is amazing! Thank you for sharing how to do it!

Question... When you moved switch #1 in switch #2 position and took out the original switch #2 and put it in the on position and left it in the body, did you just re-wire those switches or did you actually remove the toggle switch and screw in a new one in position #1?
jbp1984 wrote: January 10th, 2023, 9:38 pm Gpstar, this is amazing! Thank you for sharing how to do it!

Question... When you moved switch #1 in switch #2 position and took out the original switch #2 and put it in the on position and left it in the body, did you just re-wire those switches or did you actually remove the toggle switch and screw in a new one in position #1?
I removed and shifted them around and added a new one into position 1
Slightly off topic, if I have the speaker aux mod in my wand, could I theoretically, plug the aux into the port on the amp for the pioneer speakers and have the sound of the wand come through at the same time as the pack? Or even plug an mp3 player into it and play music?
the10thdoctor wrote: January 11th, 2023, 6:31 am I would definitely commission someone in the states to do this to my Spengler wand! I can build and paint em, but electronics are out of my comfort zone.
I’m in Vancouver, Canada. I just need to pick up some of the resistors from a store near by and gonna give it a shot sometime this week. If all is well and I’m confident in the quality of my work I’m gonna provide services for those who want my help.

-slow ramp up cyclotron
Looks like it is going to work. I am tapped into the cyclotron led's and controlling them with another metro mini in the pack. I am coding up the 84 and 2021 (with ramp up) cyclotron sequences now and going to attach a toggle switch to make the cyclotron sequences go anti-clockwise or clockwise. Still undecided if i'm going to put the toggle switch for this in the unused crank generator switch or just stick the toggle switch in the powercell and access it via the powercell door.
JamesB922, One time liked this
Can somebody else confirm on their pack, turn the pack off, put the pack in 84 mode, take the ribbon cable off the cyclotron so it activates the emergency sound. Then turn the pack on, does it go straight to the 2021 mode emergency sounds and 2021 mode when you plug the cable back in?
Not home now so can’t test.

But a small note on the slow ramp up.

To enable it to look like a coherent whole, it would be cool to ramp up the lights in sequence with the AF ramp up “sound effect” the pack has.

I don’t know if that would be exactly the same ramp up speed like what was seen on screen.

But when in doubt I’d ramp it up in line with the actual ramp up sound the pack produces (rather than trying to stick with exactly what was on screen).

Though they might be equal in which case you can just ignore this post.
With pack powered off and in ‘84 mode, disconnect the ribbon and power on I get the ‘21 (high pitched) alarm. When I reconnect the ribbon it transitions to the ‘84 (Containment unit) alarm and ‘84 pack sounds.
gpstar liked this
Nighty80 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 5:58 am With pack powered off and in ‘84 mode, disconnect the ribbon and power on I get the ‘21 (high pitched) alarm. When I reconnect the ribbon it transitions to the ‘84 (Containment unit) alarm and ‘84 pack sounds.
Ok thanks, just wanted to confirm.
One time wrote: January 12th, 2023, 5:51 am Not home now so can’t test.

But a small note on the slow ramp up.

To enable it to look like a coherent whole, it would be cool to ramp up the lights in sequence with the AF ramp up “sound effect” the pack has.

I don’t know if that would be exactly the same ramp up speed like what was seen on screen.

But when in doubt I’d ramp it up in line with the actual ramp up sound the pack produces (rather than trying to stick with exactly what was on screen).

Though they might be equal in which case you can just ignore this post.
Yup I've timed it to the sound effects.
One time liked this
Ok I got everything wired up in the pack. I also integrated a switch for anti-clockwise lights as well. I will post up what I did in a couple days.

Aside from adding a slight delay for firing up the lights when the power switch is turned on, should the ramp up speeds or speeds be adjusted or delayed some more?
oidoglr, Darren Carnall liked this
jonogunn wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:18 am ^i think it should start off a bit slower as if it’s struggling to gain momentum and then ramps up exponentially once it picks up speed

Here is mine as an example:

Here is Ninjatunes’ version:
Ok i will make the adjustments. I added a slight delay to when the lights first appear to match the sound effects, something I missed earlier.
jonogunn liked this
jonogunn wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:18 am ^i think it should start off a bit slower as if it’s struggling to gain momentum and then ramps up exponentially once it picks up speed

Here is mine as an example:

Here is Ninjatunes’ version:
Startup delay timing fixed.

A bit more like this? Or slow it down even more?

kahuna900 liked this
That looks too slow at the beginning compared with the spinning background sound. The earlier one was closer, imho.
gpstar wrote: January 12th, 2023, 3:13 pm
Gareee wrote: January 12th, 2023, 1:23 pm That looks too slow at the beginning compared with the spinning background sound. The earlier one was closer, imho.
Ok I will fix it up and tweak it some more.

Meanwhile I fixed 84 mode, looks way better now.
OMG YES!!!!! I WANT IT WANT!!!!!

Will you be posting how to do these mods as well?
Gareee liked this
kahuna900 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 3:15 pm
gpstar wrote: January 12th, 2023, 3:13 pm Ok I will fix it up and tweak it some more.

Meanwhile I fixed 84 mode, looks way better now.
OMG YES!!!!! I WANT IT WANT!!!!!

Will you be posting how to do these mods as well?
Yes of course. Just a few more tweaks of the 2021 ramp up and I will post up what I did.
kahuna900 liked this

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]