By SciFlyGuy
Just wondering if anyone here has dismantled or accessed the LED lights in the Hasbro Proton Pack cyclotron?

My pack arrived last week and I've noticed the lower right cyclotron LED lights have been mounted at a 90 degree angle and point toward the 'shock mount' rather than follow the circumference of the cyclotron. I've unscrewed the plastic 'cup' on the inside of the cyclotron that covers the back of the LED PCB but can't figure out if the main housing that holds it in place is snap-fitted on, hot-glued or moulded. Obviously I don't want to break anything by forcing it off!

Any help would be appreciated as all I need to do is rotate the lights 90 degrees counter-clockwise because it bugs the hell out of me.

Thanks.
By SciFlyGuy
Kingpin wrote: January 17th, 2023, 7:53 am Could you post some photos if you're able? This may help to determine how the housing has been attached.
Sure. Here's how the lights are mis-aligned from the outside...

Here's what it looks like on the inside once I've detached the cover...

I'm pretty sure there's a way to access the LEDs but it's fixed pretty tight and is showing no signs of budging.
Got my pack yesterday and same thing for me (on the top left). I tried prying out the piece, but part of it snapped where there is a screw post (accessible from the other side, which I do not know how to access without breaking). Luckily the post was easily glued back into place and functions as normal. I emailed Hasbro to explain the problem and asked if they could offer a way for me to fix and/or replace just the cyclotron...I'll update when I get a response.
By SciFlyGuy
Got my pack yesterday and same thing for me (on the top left). I tried prying out the piece, but part of it snapped where there is a screw post (accessible from the other side, which I do not know how to access without breaking). Luckily the post was easily glued back into place and functions as normal. I emailed Hasbro to explain the problem and asked if they could offer a way for me to fix and/or replace just the cyclotron...I'll update when I get a response.
Ah, so it 's not just my pack then!

I emailed Hasbro customer services (I'm in the UK) the moment I spotted the problem. I've just got this reply: "I can definitely get a new part sent out to you for this. Please allow 5-100 days for this to be received."

Good to know they can fix it. I'll hold off from prying it open until a replacement arrives!

I hope you get your replacement too!
Ok, awesome! Thanks for letting me know...I would assume I'd get the same reply, but if not, can use the "I know for a fact someone else with the same problem has a replacement coming their way," line. The average person outside the GB community would not notice, but it was glaring to me, especially in the "Afterlife" mode when it was meant to look like it's spinning inside. At first I thought it was part of the "broken down/hard to cycle" effect, but then same thing in the '84 mode. I, too, am glad it wasn't just mine!
By tobycj
One time wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:24 pm This is such a weird oversight by Hasbro.

Let us know how it goes!
They made ~20,000 of them in a factory in China, they won't have QC'd ever single pack, so there'll definitely be some that are faulty.
By GBKid1984
Up to 100 days?! I'm nervous for you. No idea how many Hasbro made or how they're going to handle replacements of defective units. Hope everything works out for you, and it's really disappointing there weren't better checks and balances in place.
By Spongeface
I also am trying to pry mine apart but for nefarious reasons, and cannot figure out how to do it with out breaking something that would show. I do suspect it is glued together.

If you do get a replacement cover in 5 days (not 100), I would love to buy your misaligned cover so I can tear it apart without fear of doing something that I will regret!
By Corey91
Spongeface wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:21 pm I also am trying to pry mine apart but for nefarious reasons, and cannot figure out how to do it with out breaking something that would show. I do suspect it is glued together.

If you do get a replacement cover in 5 days (not 100), I would love to buy your misaligned cover so I can tear it apart without fear of doing something that I will regret!

this person got theirs apart pretty easily they said to diffuse their LEDs. End product looked pretty great

edit: you can see it being opened in this video as well: https://youtu.be/-FfNuYoQRUM?t=341
djsparky liked this
By Spongeface
Thanks for the posting of the link to that video. So you do have to break it apart because it is glued together, but not too many complaints about it holding together afterwords without any glue or added fasteners.

For the wonky angle cyclotron lights it would be interesting to know if the wrong circuit board was used or the correct circuit board was just put in with the wrong orientation. Fixing the orientation of a correct numbered board should be possible. The cyclotron boards are labeled #1-#4 (thanks to Jake for that).
By gamera1968
SciFlyGuy wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:50 am Well, I'm happy to report that Hasbro sent me a replacement cyclotron at the weekend - and all the lights are correctly aligned. I can't fault their customer service as they also included a letter apologising for the problem!
That's great news!
However, I'm somewhat surprised that they have extra parts lying around, but good to know.
By djsparky
The YouTube video was great. I did break 2 of the pins but it was worth it, and repairable. Thanks for posting it.

I ended up diffusing the lights by keeping the built in diffusion, and added a layer of L129 (theater/movie gel) to both parts. So the end was double L129 and the built in diffusion. It blends it well to the naked eye. A notch down in brightness perhaps but insignificant.

Corey91 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:37 am
Spongeface wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:21 pm I also am trying to pry mine apart but for nefarious reasons, and cannot figure out how to do it with out breaking something that would show. I do suspect it is glued together.

this person got theirs apart pretty easily they said to diffuse their LEDs. End product looked pretty great

edit: you can see it being opened in this video as well: https://youtu.be/-FfNuYoQRUM?t=341
    Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]