By Nova
I am by no means an experienced modder, but I did this pretty simple weathering pass on a set of new Rothco frame straps and wanted to share it.

Brand new straps do not match the weathering of the Haslab pack, so I wanted to give it a very old heavily used look.

The two videos I took weathering ideas from were the Punished Props video (probably the best one out there) and the recent Adam Savage mod video.

The tools and steps I took in order
  • I ran the straps through a washer once then let them air dry.
  • I scrapped away at all the fabric with an 8 inch flat file.
  • Used a straight shaving razor to scrap up some parts of the straps (adds that fuzzy look) and added a small cut in one of the straps.
  • Swiped a a sheet of sand paper a few times over the metal parts (button, latches, and the frame).
  • Used a butane torch to put a few small burn holes on the front of the straps.
  • Randomly hit it with some black and brown temporary hair color, focused it in some of the burn areas and the plastic buckles and let it sit a few hours to dry. This stuff will rub off very easily on your hands and clothes without a clear coat of something after to help lock it in. Even then it's still a bit dirty and may rub off a little. Some other dirt or paint techniques might work better if wearing this a lot. If this stuff is too much of pain I'll run the straps through the wash again then hit it with some other permanent paint, for now it is just a display piece and the clear coat helps a lot so it is not an issue for me.
  • I hit it all with a full matte clear coat of rust-oleum then to try and lock in the temp color and lessen it rubbing off then let it sit overnight. This stuff definitely reduced the color rubbing off a lot and give it all a bit of an old rough feel after drying.
Last edited by Nova on January 25th, 2023, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?