gamera1968 wrote: November 16th, 2023, 8:03 pm
One time wrote: November 15th, 2023, 3:34 pm

I agree. That's why I weathered the AF to look like 84/89

Your weathered Haslab pack is beautiful!
I'd love a tutorial on how you managed to make it look weathered without going overboard.

Here... you earned it :crunch: .
That’s very kind of you, thanks I appreciate it.

This thread has more pictures and a bit of a tutorial:

viewtopic.php?t=50645

To not derail this thread, if you have any questions feel free to ask in the thread I linked and I’ll do my best to tell you the exact steps.
gamera1968 liked this
One time wrote: November 16th, 2023, 8:30 pm
gamera1968 wrote: November 16th, 2023, 8:03 pm

Your weathered Haslab pack is beautiful!
I'd love a tutorial on how you managed to make it look weathered without going overboard.

Here... you earned it :crunch: .
That’s very kind of you, thanks I appreciate it.

This thread has more pictures and a bit of a tutorial:

viewtopic.php?t=50645

To not derail this thread, if you have any questions feel free to ask in the thread I linked and I’ll do my best to tell you the exact steps.

You're most welcome.
I always appreciate it when fans go above and beyond to make something uniquely theirs.

Thanks!
I'll be sure to check it out and remember to post any inquiries in the appropriate thread.
One time liked this
zeta otaku wrote: November 15th, 2023, 3:07 pm It's no secret that Hasbro LOST money making the Afterlife packs (the higher ups were looking for loop holes to get out of making them, but found none), so IF they ever make another pack, expect it to be MORE expensive than the Spengler Special we got.

It would make practically zero sense that they would have lost money on this, from building the prototype they would have all their answers as to how much it would cost to make, plus shipping materials costs and from there they would price the pack accordingly. The prototype was built long before the actual funding campaign was started so they would have all their prices for materials and building the packs, so they would be able to adjust the price of the pack accordingly. But we're meant to believe somehow this all snuck up on them and they were unprepared for what it cost to make? Kinda doubting it. This rumour has been floating about for well over a year now and there's never been anything to back it up.
Last edited by gerard55 on November 24th, 2023, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek, SpaceBallz, prodestrian and 3 others liked this
Did anyone else notice that the ribbon cable now attaches to that new middle wiring bracket thing instead of straight into a hole in the motherboard?
Anyone else think that large yellow slab on the thrower is also a bit unnecessary? Been looking at it on and off and it just doesn't work for me. Of all the additions, that really stands out as being one of the most pointless. I really hope they have some kinda explanation for these in the movie to sell us on them, rather than the packs just appearing with all this yellow crap slapped onto them.
gerard55 wrote: November 25th, 2023, 8:14 pm Anyone else think that large yellow slab on the thrower is also a bit unnecessary? Been looking at it on and off and it just doesn't work for me. Of all the additions, that really stands out as being one of the most pointless. I really hope they have some kinda explanation for these in the movie to sell us on them, rather than the packs just appearing with all this yellow crap slapped onto them.
A bunch of exposed wire that's connected to the clippard valve base right to the booster tube is unnecessary, but we ate it up without an explanation in the last film.
zeta otaku, Kingpin liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: November 25th, 2023, 10:28 pm
gerard55 wrote: November 25th, 2023, 8:14 pm Anyone else think that large yellow slab on the thrower is also a bit unnecessary? Been looking at it on and off and it just doesn't work for me. Of all the additions, that really stands out as being one of the most pointless. I really hope they have some kinda explanation for these in the movie to sell us on them, rather than the packs just appearing with all this yellow crap slapped onto them.
A bunch of exposed wire that's connected to the clippard valve base right to the booster tube is unnecessary, but we ate it up without an explanation in the last film.
Wires at least imply something technical has been done to the pack, what does a random yellow slab imply? Change for the sake of change?

As for afterlife, the explanation was built into the story, Egon had been tinkering with the pack over the years and it seemed to be more powerful than the OG packs. Gozer was able to shrug off 3 crossed streams from those but was having significantly more trouble with the Spengler pack. The new faster cyclotron would also seem to support it being more powerful, and I'm pretty sure I seen Ben Eadie mention that the og packs, while having the same cyclotron mechanism as the Spengler pack, it was meant to spin slower more akin to the original movies but due to an oversight they were spinning as fast as the Spengler pack during the Gozer fight.

And as we can see in pics all the packs now have those wires so that would fit the "power upgrade" line of thought.
I gotta agree with Gerard55.

The pack looks unbalanced and gimmicky now. Especially the new wand barrel cover. Like Ghostbusters 2016 they probably had audience surveys on what people gravitate towards. “Make the gun look huge!” is probably what came out of those surveys, hence they made the barrel bigger. (like Paul Feig did in 2016).

I think this movie will cement the iconic status of the original PP. The 84 wand was never meant to look like a “gun”. It was smaller than most rifles, but had a weird two handed finger grip making it obvious you really had to hold on to it. It looked like a mysterious large light diode or emitter for want of a better word. Now it looks more like a cartoon variant.

Idk maybe the new one will grow on me.
One time wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:40 pm Now it looks more like a cartoon variant.

I mean...

I get it, change sucks if you're used to one thing growing up. But in-universe speaking, it IS 40 year old radioactive equipment. I can't imagine they re-opened their business without some kind of quality and safety checks/guidelines.
Kingpin, Dr. Stantz Jr. liked this
I still feel as though each movie from here on will have "mods" to the packs depending on the story. So the Frozen Empire packs aren't the "new packs from now on", they're just variants. The new red jackets don't replace the flightsuits, and if there's another film after this we might not see them again.

I think there's a fear from some fans that the gear which they've spent significant time/money to get hold of is now obsolete, when that's definitely not the case. I felt this a little bit with Afterlife, that my 89 pack was now "missing" the Ion Arm switch and removable Cyclotron, because the film implied that they were actually there all along. But that's definitely not the case here (and no I'm not suggesting that's what anyone here is worried about).

Whoever designs the props for the next film after FE will probably want to put their own spin on the packs too, hopefully that means upgrades to a classic or Afterlife pack rather than building on top of the FE pack mods.
prodestrian wrote: November 30th, 2023, 2:25 pm I still feel as though each movie from here on will have "mods" to the packs depending on the story. So the Frozen Empire packs aren't the "new packs from now on", they're just variants. The new red jackets don't replace the flightsuits, and if there's another film after this we might not see them again.

I think there's a fear from some fans that the gear which they've spent significant time/money to get hold of is now obsolete, when that's definitely not the case. I felt this a little bit with Afterlife, that my 89 pack was now "missing" the Ion Arm switch and removable Cyclotron, because the film implied that they were actually there all along. But that's definitely not the case here (and no I'm not suggesting that's what anyone here is worried about).

Whoever designs the props for the next film after FE will probably want to put their own spin on the packs too, hopefully that means upgrades to a classic or Afterlife pack rather than building on top of the FE pack mods.
Well put - I've just seen all these changes as them including attachments to the equipment dependant on the job - similar to the changes made to the Video Game packs.

It just allows customization in universe, as well as for those building their own packs IRL. Hell, look at the options available within Spirits Unleashed and that's supposedly canon.

I've already ordered the tri-bumper for my pack as I think it adds added protection to the base, but juggling whether to keep it yellow, or perhaps go a different route.
prodestrian liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: November 30th, 2023, 9:48 am
One time wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:40 pm Now it looks more like a cartoon variant.

I mean...

I get it, change sucks if you're used to one thing growing up. But in-universe speaking, it IS 40 year old radioactive equipment. I can't imagine they re-opened their business without some kind of quality and safety checks/guidelines.
It's not that change sucks. For example, I prefer the Afterlife pack to the original 84 pack. In my opinion AF actually changed the 84 pack subtly by accenting the right places in line with the original 84 design. (but I prefer the 84 thrower to AF, as in my view the AF thrower is just a broken and fixed 84 thrower). The AF thrower (green tape/wooden handle) looks like a Macbook Pro with cool stickers on it. The stickers may be cool but they are not what the original design of the thing is.

To me it's obvious that for AF, an artist (Kirsten Franson I believe) looked at the 84/89 proton pack, understood WHY it was designed and built that way by concept artists in '83, why each specific piece is in each specific place, in 1983 and IMPROVED it with 40 more years of concept artist skills, by accenting the right places. Adding slight emphasis to the ribbon cable using the neon yellow sleeve and adding greeblies to the empty/anemic sections around the Clippard and the new heatsink on the right. Apart from that it was left alone.

The FE proton pack (to me) appears to have new fundamental changes to the pack that leave it with almost nothing in common (in terms of balance) with an 84/89 pack. Going by Reddit the consensus appears to be 10-90 people who like the FE pp vs people that don't like it. But I agree with you, they need to change something to sell more merch/explain 40 years of "safety regulations". Although I don't know why any audience would celebrate "safety regulations"? Did everyone turn into Walter Peck in the past 40 years?

@Prodestrian: In some way I'd feel relieved if the 1984/1989/AF proton packs were "retired", or not retired but "stop being updated / messed with". That would really solidify their iconic status like a Luke ANH light saber.

They can make even cooler packs in the future, and the FE packs are definitely eye catching, but the originals remain.
CT0760 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 11:18 pm Has anyone determined the yellow paint color code for the bumper and hazard plate on the side of the new proton pack?
I've been using this stuff:
It's a pretty great match IMO. Can lean more yellow or more orange depending on the lighting, which is how the screen used pack parts are.

kahuna900 liked this
Hi all, I make props for a living, most do metal work. Someone asked if I can make some steel heat shields for the new ghostbusters lance. Do any of you have the dimensions for the heat shield?

I've added a post from FB of my work on the SPAS cage for the aliens pulse rifle so you can see my work.
Ghostbusters Project wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:14 amImage
Do you have any idea of the origin of this element? Impossible to find on the internet.
We're still in the early days of documenting the new parts of the Frozen Empire Packs, so we don't yet have all the answers or a massive gallery of visual reference...

It may be that that pice is 100% custom-fabricated, with no real-world basis.

Edit:

It looks like a block with some bolts/screws drilled into it:

Christof, SpaceBallz liked this
Austin wrote: November 13th, 2023, 8:23 am
zeta otaku wrote: November 12th, 2023, 10:10 pm Also, does anyone have any idea what the square thing is next to the Dale PH-25 Resistor is? Originally I thought it was a second metal block like on the ion arm, but after seeing some new pictures, that isn't the case.
It's just a block with a couple of rivets/screws in it. Looks handmade to me as there's some wonkiness to it that a print or off the rack piece probably wouldn't have. But it certainly could be printed/found.

It's been confirmed elsewhere that they were countersunk socket head screws, rather than rivets like Austin and I had assumed.
In my opinion, the OG/AF pack looks better/more menacing/mysterious/credible than the FE pack. Which (again, in my opinion) looks too colorful, Fisherpricey, huge disproportionate barrels, etc.

The OG 1984 wand is also the best looking in my personal opinion.

The one detail I am interested in from the FE however is the new rubber front grip on the thrower.

What an OG/AF pack would look like with that weird rubber front grip. You’d have to choose a matching rear rubber grip too to keep it balanced, as I believe FE just uses the old finger grip on the rear handle.

I might mod one of my 1984 throwers to include those new FE grips and see what that looks like on an OG/AF pack.
OBSIDIAN liked this
Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]