It's nice to know that you can make a decent-looking proton pack using less-expensive materials. My friend and I are working on a couple of proton packs for Halloween, but I'm finishing mine first for comic-con. So far, I've spent only 50 bucks on materials, and I'm about a third into construction.

Keep Bustin'
For all of the people out there who can not afford fancy pack lights (like me lol) I was shopping at my local Walgreen and found a string of lights that are perfect for a budget pack light kit. For 10 bucks, Its not perfect but it will do for the time until i can afford a real light kit.

Rather than post a bunch of pics I made a video.

I dont know how to get the youtube link to work :(

Last edited by Kingpin on October 14th, 2013, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added Youtube code
Ecto-Fire, gamera1968 liked this
Last year I did a pretty solid Man With No Name gunslinger (not screen accurate to a Fistfull of Dollars, but close enough). The year before that I did the Seventh Doctor - again, close enough for my purposes. This year, I think I'm going to do my holy grail of costumes and bust some ghosts!

Needless to say, I'll be back asking ALL sorts of questions!

Right now, I'll just be hitting the dollar stores and home despots to find boxes and bobs for the back. In the meantime, my question of the evening is: about how big across is the . . . um, round thing at the bottom of the pack? I see people finding salad bowls, cake tins and stuff, so my hopes are high for scouring goodwill. But about how many inches across should I be looking for?

Again, close enough for government work is fine for me. It doesn't have to be super screen accurate, it just has to say "I'm a Ghostbuster!"
By Gareee
Flush mount picture hangers from Ace are great for v hook substitutes.. that's what we've used for 4 years now.
Mike_D liked this
By Mike_D
Gareee wrote:Flush mount picture hangers from Ace are great for v hook substitutes.. that's what we've used for 4 years now.
I just looked those up, I think I'll go with your option rather than mine lol. I like yours better, plus less dremeling.

Also, this year instead of cutting my usual foamboard proton pack routine, I decided to go with EVA foam for my first time (they are large grey "puzzle pieces" you can find at an auto store, hardware store or I even picked my set up from K-Mart) for $14. I just followed the patterns/plans from the equipment section from this website, the foam slices like butter with an x-acto knife and very easy to work with (I've been using hot glue and reinforcing the "boxes" with blocks of foam). For the lights I'm going to pick up my usual "battery powered halloween lights" from wal-mart (easy $10 alternative). I'll let you guys know the progress in case you have any worries about trying it out yourself, but I think the foam would not only be easier but also more durable for the party scene.
By Gareee
I love eva foam building. You just need to keep a LOT of new exacto blades around to get clean cuts on the edges.

Harbor Freight is the cheapest place usually to get the sheets, and you can order rolled sheets for larger projects online.

BTW, you can use the thicker craft foam sheets for the box ribs, since its really the same stuff. Make sure you seal all the exterior foam with pva glue (the old style GOOD white Elmer's glue) before painting. It dries quickly, and you may find you want more than one coat. Once the glue dries, sand it lightly as it will have a hard surface.
For those who don't have an ACE Hardware, like me, Lowes has started carrying the same kind of picture hangers for a couple bucks.
I'm doing this for Halloween this year. So far I've spent around $50 on supplies and I'm about 2/3 done with my cardboard Proton Pack.

I also built a pair of Ecto Goggles for around $21, including paint. Build link below, in my signature. :cool:
jakeacc wrote:$50 bucks is great. Good luck on the pack. Looking forward to seeing pics when you are done!
Thanks! Actually, I'm WAY over budget but it came out better than I had expected. :)

It's been finished with for about a week now and I have a few pics of it in my build thread. (Link below in my signature)
By Gareee
I'm pretty sure fir two uniforms and packs we managed about $300 total our first year. We of course added over the years, but winning a few halloween costume contests funded those improvements.
Gareee wrote:I'm pretty sure fir two uniforms and packs we managed about $300 total our first year. We of course added over the years, but winning a few halloween costume contests funded those improvements.
I saw your build threads, Gareee. And winning does help make improvements down the road. I won $600 this year so it was all worth the effort. (link below in my signature) :)
There ya go! Now you can afford a spendy matty trap, and m aybe a pke. They both make excellent accessories, though admittedly we still use one of my stunt traps with the fake light up smoke.
Gareee wrote:There ya go! Now you can afford a spendy matty trap, and m aybe a pke. They both make excellent accessories, though admittedly we still use one of my stunt traps with the fake light up smoke.
Thanks, but the prices in the secondary market are up there and I might just build a stunt trap when I have the time.
I appreciate your input as always, Gareee. :) I have some pics in my uniform thread, link below.
By gamera1968
Mercifull wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 8:59 am Need a last-minute proton pack?... I built one in less than 1 day! (skip to about 17:51) lol

Nice! My first pack was all cardboard and found recycled bits from around the house.

I am making a new one from expanded PVC sheeting / Sintra board so it will be more water / rain resistant.
I'll be using some carboard inside for more durability, especially on the block where the neutrona wand attaches to.

Now only if I can find a properly-sized V-hook for my new pack and Hasbro Spengler's Neutrona Wand, I'll be good.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]