By GhostGuy
I was just looking at the GB1 and GB2 trap reference photos, and I noticed that the dowels on the side on the GB2 trap seemed much closer together than on the GB1 trap. On further inspection I also determined that the danger sticker was closer at the top and the bottom to the bolts than on the GB1 trap. This led me to believe that the GB2 trap may be shorter than the GB1 trap.

However, I then realised that the GB2 trap photos were of a stunt trap, which would explain the differences, and decided to cross reference the GB1 trap with stills of the GB2 trap from the movie.

Those stills revealed that the dowles were the same distance apart on both the GB1 trap and GB2 trap. But I noticed another difference. Look at the knobs on the front of the two traps:

The right front round and square knobs have switched places! Also, the right square knob doesn't have the little silver tab on the top of it.

And here's another thing I noticed... The hero trap from GB1 differs slightly from the one used in the Slimer scene:

The top left knob is silver, not black!

And one last thing I discovered while stepping through the GB2 courtroom scene:

Notice how the right side door of the trap lifts first?

Well I just happened to be looking at the shape of the doors earlier today and I noticed for the first time on the GB1 hero trap reference photos that the doors have a lip on the edge of them which interlock. And to interlock properly, one door has to close first, and the other open first.

And when I saw that one side opened first I thought, "Hm... I wonder if they kept that lip I saw earlier on the GB2 traps." and lo and behold, as you can see in the third pic, they did, but it's reversed! The lower lip on the GB2 traps is on the left door, while on the GB1 trap, it was on the right!

Well, on these traps anyway. Who knows if all the traps were the same or not.

[edit]

Oh and one more thing I just noticed. The GB2 traps have screws on all four corners of the aluminum side plates, while the GB1 traps only had screws on opposing corners!
By GhostGuy
Oh well, I'll point out some more differences myself then. :-)

Ectofiend posted this pic today in the uniforms forum:

And it reminded me of another trap difference I'd noticed. See the little black knob on the side of the trap? That's not the teardrop knob! That's the location where the knurled aluminum knob is at on the GB2 trap.

You can see it better here:

It appears to be a round black knob, the same width as the resistor, with eight bumps around the top.

And here's another small detail I noticed... In the scene where they bring the smoking trap out, this side knob appears to have changed once again. You'd never notice it, if not for the telltale gleam of chrome coming off the end of it as the trap spins around:

The type of knob isn't very clear, but aside from the chrome, it appears this knob has a bit that sticks out on the side of it, and as such probably doesn't have the bumps around the top. If you look towards the bottom you might be able to make out the bump in question.
By graboskyc
I kinda don't want to post because I feel that if no one responds, you'll keep pointing out these gems for us all to enjoy.

I think you arent getting a response because you pointed out things people never noticed, and now the trap they spent months to work on is inaccurate :)

I don't have much to add (considering I never even noticed these differences before), but did want to say good work!
By GhostGuy
If no one responds, I'll think nobody gives a damn. :-)

Also...

While looking for some reference photos of the pack, I just realised there's some more trap reference pics in the reference section which aren't linked from the trap reference page.

This pic shows the shape of the front knobs really well. The square knobs look a little less rectangular than I thought they were, but the round knobs have the same sort of side texture I thought I could just make out in the film:

I could have sworn seeing a knob with that texture before and then I remembered that the olive garden guy's knob had that texture. He must have paid more attention to the reference photos. :-)

There's a good photo of the GB2 side knob as well:

Looks like it's got only vertical knurling. Not identical to the radio shack knob I found, but close. At least in appearance, I still can't tell if the size is right.
By Dr. Spengs
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade or anything, but if I'm not mistaken it's fairly common knowledge that the positioning of the knobs on the front of the trap varied between each prop, and between each film. There's a wealth of images in the reference section to attest to it...that said, I had never noticed the differences in the side knob in GB1 when they walk out of the ballroom, good eye...
By namebrand
The lack of response, as mentioned, is mostly to do to the fact that the differences have already been covered in other locations and on other forums. The GB1 and GB2 traps use different knobs completely other than the tear drop knob. The side knob on the rolling/opening trap and the lobby smoking trap are both the same type of knob, one just doesn't have the aluminum insert anymore (see below for the knob). The bump you're talking about isn't part of the knob, it looks to be a red triangle (like on the proton gun) just below the white triangle.

By GhostGuy
I went out looking for knobs again today, and I found some knobs which are very close to the small black knobs on the GB1 and GB2 traps. They're not exact, lacking the screw in the side, and having a thin base with numbers around it which I plan to remove with a razor, but I thought I'd mention it because I found the same knobs on a piece of audio equipment at the surplus store, and if you're looking for these particular knobs, then you might want to begin your search with audio knobs.

Also, I found a chrome knob which was nearly perfect for the side of the GB2 trap. It had vertical grooves around the sides, and looked like it had the right proportions. It was a fairly hefty aluminum knob. Unfortunately, the cap on it was black instead of chrome, and on the side the black line was on a bit which stuck out from the knob. But the knob looked practically brand new, which gives me hope that there is a knob out there in that style without the side protrusion, and with a chrome cap, because knobs often come with optional cap colors. There was no manufacturer name on the know unfortunately. That would have made the search a lot easier.
By DDevil192
yep...looks about right, that site also sells accurate front knobs for the trap GB2 style as well you can see those here: http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Produc ... ESC=1200-W

im getting parts now I wanna make the courtroom scene trap to go with my GB1 trap.

If you look at my trap it has all real parts on it that are accurate for GB1

Griff
By GhostGuy
Those knobs seem to have the right variation in the width of the grooves around the edge, but I don't think they're a match for the GB2 trap knobs:

I found a lot of knobs just like the one above, but that big chrome cap on top just looks wrong to me. I think it looks more like there's just a chrome insert surrounded by plastic on the real knobs.

This is a knob I found. The grooves around the edge don't vary in width at all, but that's a small detail compared to the cap, which looks more correct to me. I plan to cut the bottom off of course:

The knob looks shorter here than it actually is, cause I was zoomed in when I took the photo.

The knob btw, came off a piece of audio equipment. There may be a knob like it out there for audio equipment which doesn't have that bottom piece, but the grooves are probably still gonna all be the same width.
By GhostGuy
The silver top comes off, but is it silver underneath? I suspect not :-)

As for my knob, yeah it looks too wide in the photo, but in person it looks right. It's just the squashed perspective you get when zoomed in with a camera which makes it look squat. I'm not sure if it's exactly as tall as the real knobs, but it seems the right scale relative to the square knobs I have. So... I guess we'll see when I build the trap how they look in place, I don't know. I know neither is the right knob precisely, but they're the closest I have been able to find.
By GhostGuy
Right here. I've got five sets I'd like to sell:
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =31&t=9131

The end of the square knobs would need to have some silver sticky paper or something put on it to get the right appearance of course.

The round knob we were discussing that I posted above isn't included, but just for reference... with the little base it's almost as tall as the square knobs.

Unfortunately once I cut that base off it'll be noticeably shorter than the square knobs, which isn't right. Maybe it's not as close a match as I'd hoped. But I'd the best I've got for now, and it didn't cost me a dime because the surplue store guy gave it to me for free since it was only a buck for two and he saw me digging through a box full of a thousand knobs for a half hour to find it. :-)
By GhostGuy
Oh and note that if you look at the last GB2 trap pic above, since you're looking directly at the face of it, maybe even with a zoom lens, the square knobs don't seem very tall, but if you look at the GB1 trap pic from the movie above, or the screen used trap reference pics, the square knobs look a lot taller, and more like the ones I posted. I don't know that they're an exact match but they're close enough I guess.
By Boomerjinks
We're all just patiently awaiting your thread on how you just noticed that the ectomobiles in Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 are different.
By GhostGuy
Well you should be! I don't see a thread enumerating the differences for people, and it's easy to miss certain things. For example, I'm pretty sure the Ectomobile was a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Futura, and not a 2003 Subaru Outback.

:-)
By GhostGuy
To answer your question seriously, yes, I was being sarcastic.

And don't be an ass. Of course people have noticed these differences before. But new people are always arriving on the scene, and I don't see any thread dedicated to enumerating these differences; forcing individuals who wish to make their prop movie accurate to do all the research themselves.

As obvious as you make it sound like the differences are, I think you'll find if you look through the fanmade props section that almost nobody has gotten the all details on a GB1 trap correct.

Did they do that intentionally, for aesthetic reasons, or because they simply don't care, or aren't detail oriented? Or was it because sometimes little details like that can slip by you when you're looking at the big picture and having so much reference material can be overwhelming? I don't know. But I suspect if they'd noticed that the GB1 trap had a silver knob on the front, then when they decided to replicate the number of rivets on the side, or the color of the dowels, that they'd have replicated that detail as well, if they'd been aware of it.

Furthermore, it appears it was only recently discovered that the resistor on the GB1 pack Ion Arm was different than the ones seen on the GB2 pack, as evidenced by a recent thread about it. Yet that too was right there in the movie for anyone to see. Should the fellow that noticed that not have made a post about it because folks like you might chastise them over a detail which has long been known about?

I rest my case your honor.

Ps:
If you're the guy from SomethingAwful that made that RC Killdozer, then that was awesome.
Last edited by GhostGuy on December 16th, 2008, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Syco54645
I have been lurking here since about 2003 or 2004. I just made an account recently. It was my way of not spending money on stuff that I could not afford when in school. I like to think that I know the differences, but still find it nice that you are doing this.
By gold333
Does anyone know the definitive length, width,p and height of the GB1 hero trap vs the GB2 hero trap? (Excluding handle and knobs, so just the "box" itself?)
By Kingpin
Unlike the Proton Packs that were on display in the lobby at Sony, I'm not aware of anyone being able to make detailed measurements of any of the Ghost Trap props, so what measurements out there are approximations.
By Kingpin
l3w1sb159 wrote: February 8th, 2022, 11:30 pm Digging up this thread to ask what label is on top of the battery compartment on the GB1 trap? Is it the white data label or red warning label?
A red label, based on the smoking Trap prop:

By tobycj
l3w1sb159 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 12:41 pm Nice one, thanks. Wasn't sure as other reference pics had what looked like the white label from above the side knob on there too.
The non-RTV Afterlife trap has a white sticker there, the photos aren't clear enough to tell if it's the same as above the knob on the side, or the same as on the GB1 pedal though.
RedSpecial liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]